BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Ha!  I was wondering if it would fit in my lawnmower.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It could be pretty damn solid, yeah.

People are getting over 500HP/L out of built 207s with deck inserts. 416 reliable HP wouldn't be difficult at all, even with cats and mufflers. Would cost of course, it's just a little too much to do on the cheap.

This is a neat engine for a factory offering.
View Quote
You should be aware, there's a whole lot more to meeting emissions than cats and mufflers, and there's a whole lot more than just making "416" hp to what mb buyers expect from a motor. Not just the motor, but the whole car needs to take that level of performance in mind.

If it was that easy every manufacturer would have have these kinda cars out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No shit, first thought was same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No shit, first thought was same.
Gave me a chub.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I was watching a vid on the machining of the Wright Flyer engine. 203 cu in, making 14-16 hp.  We've come a long way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Groovy
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
That ia pretty cool...BUT.....has anyone seen the new RS models of Audi doing 9s on a stock turbo. Mmmm Audi goodness.

Models for reference:

Audi TT RS
Audi RS3

Not only are they trapping 140s in the quarter. They are also destroying super cars in the half mile events. These are also auto x cars and can drive home with AC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That ia pretty cool...BUT.....has anyone seen the new RS models of Audi doing 9s on a stock turbo. Mmmm Audi goodness.

Models for reference:

Audi TT RS
Audi RS3

Not only are they trapping 140s in the quarter. They are also destroying super cars in the half mile events. These are also auto x cars and can drive home with AC.
View Quote
5 cylinders, no?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
neat, but for how long? it will break someday.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Motorcycle motors make that  hp naturally aspirated
View Quote
Huh?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would do unspeakable things for a clean GC8 with a EJ207 swap (and other WRX/STi parts) that revs past 8k.
View Quote
@Htown156 same brother, same.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or any European car for that matter. Nanoslide cylinder bore coating is applied directly to the aluminum block sans steel liners, on a dirt bike yes, a 60-80K car nope!
View Quote
To be fair to the Germans there engines and transmissions are very good it's the other shit that annoys people like the price of parts and silly electrical gremlins
don't forget all those parts are made in Europe so thats why parts are expensive .
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should be aware, there's a whole lot more to meeting emissions than cats and mufflers, and there's a whole lot more than just making "416" hp to what mb buyers expect from a motor. Not just the motor, but the whole car needs to take that level of performance in mind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be pretty damn solid, yeah.

People are getting over 500HP/L out of built 207s with deck inserts. 416 reliable HP wouldn't be difficult at all, even with cats and mufflers. Would cost of course, it's just a little too much to do on the cheap.

This is a neat engine for a factory offering.

You should be aware that there are plenty of built 207 cars in California.... I know we're bench racing, but it's being lauded for it's numbers alone.  I'm just pointing out, it isn't that impressive to me.  From a Subaru background.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Being able to mass produce and warranty something like that is damn impressive.
View Quote
Not really, that thing won't last past the factory warranty, it will drop in value like a rock, and become an endless money pit to keep on the road.

M-B has jumped the shark on reliability.

Hard pass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

5 cylinders, no?
View Quote
Yes, they sound amazing too
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#15]
people crying about turbo lag but not knowing that twin-scroll turbos be doing things they way they be doing
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Impressive technology.

I'll continue to put my money towards engines that aren't buzzy, laggy, and driving the wrong wheels, though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Awd cars are driving with the wrong wheels?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Europeans and forced induction non-diesel engines have had a long unhealthy relationship. The resale value of these new German turbo-mouse engine cars after they are out of warranty is going to be laughable.  In their defense, parts for Eurocars are a lot cheaper over there than here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You should be aware that there are plenty of built 207 cars in California.... I know we're bench racing, but it's being lauded for it's numbers alone.  I'm just pointing out, it isn't that impressive to me.  From a Subaru background.
View Quote
Dude, 400hp from a turbo 4 isn't that big of a deal to me either. back in the mid 2000's 1.8t's with a 3071R would do that, I built multiple 1.8t's in the 350hp range. I've also installed APR stg 3 kits on golf R's, pushing out over 500HP. yeah they're fast, and reliable, but there is no way the engine in that form would leave the factory, too much lag, the power comes on way to strong, everything that had to be beefed up to take the power like motor mounts made the vehicle unacceptable as a production car, too much noise, too much vibration.

I know what goes into making a angry little turbo motor work... knowing what I know is why I find MB's motor so impressive.

400hp from a motor that meets or exceeds current federal emissions standards, along with having the smoothness, power delivery, economy, reliability for MB to use in a production vehicle is a engineering feat. dude "Cats and mufflers" alone aren't how a engine meets emissions standards.

just cause people in CA are passing simple tests doesn't mean that engine is anywhere NEAR what the manufacture had to do to get certification, hot rodded engines in any way are so far off from what was required to be certified its not even funny. a different air filter can ruin the OEM's tuning, never mind a bigger turbo.

I'm point out, as an automotive professional, this motor is impressive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or any European car for that matter. Nanoslide cylinder bore coating is applied directly to the aluminum block sans steel liners, on a dirt bike yes, a 60-80K car nope!
View Quote
Ok, so you replate it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, so you replate it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so you replate it.
not really, you just put in sleeves and put in rings that are for steel sleeves. Which is really not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Plus iron sleeves are going to be stronk AF

In the outboard world Nikasil was the shit in 2 strokes back in the day. But when you toasted a cylinder, you just threw in a sleeve.

They plasma line the 4 stroke outboards now too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top