Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/16/2024 6:17:35 PM EDT
Last time I was at the Pentagon and saw a couple meritorious service medal license plates, this time National Defense Service Medal.

After this https://www.dvidshub.net/video/915823/officials-testify-pacific-islands-strategy the weather was nice for the weekend in the beltway so I swung by Annapolis before heading to NYC.

Saw this guy pass by me

People can buy and wear whatever they like, freedom of choice but im wondering why I keep seeing these kinds of medals rather than campaign medals or valor awards. I’m guessing that jacket wasn’t cheap.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Help me out here. What am I looking at? I was never in the military.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
National Defense Service Medal, I think.

If that’s the case, it is no longer issued.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn’t that the military’s version of a participation trophy
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
National defense service metal, I think.
View Quote

Medal
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Issued to anyone who was .mil during war on terrorism whether deployed or did not deploy

National Defense Service Medal No Longer Authorized in 2023! Who is authorized the NDSM??
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Medal
View Quote

Corrected, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much https://www.afpc.af.mil/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/421890/national-defense-service-medal/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
So my Honor Grad jacket isn’t cool any more?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So my Honor Grad jacket isn’t cool any more?
View Quote

I realized going thru my Grandmother’s stuff after her funeral I have no idea whatever happened to my high school letterman jacket - fake leather sleeves and pins for track ( I absolutely sucked at it ) swim team {was pretty good} and football { I was 2nd string cornerback and 3rd string quarterback }
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Issued to anyone who was .mil during war on terrorism whether deployed or did not deploy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Ou65-CsLg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Ou65-CsLg

thanks for the explanation. Sometimes you .mil dudes talk in a language I don’t understand
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
That shit used to be given away. Only a tool would buy a jacket with a medal on it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Last time I was at the Pentagon and saw a couple meritorious service medal license plates, this time National Defense Service Medal.

After this https://www.dvidshub.net/video/915823/officials-testify-pacific-islands-strategy the weather was nice for the weekend in the beltway so I swung by Annapolis before heading to NYC.

Saw this guy pass by me

People can buy and wear whatever they like, freedom of choice but im wondering why I keep seeing these kinds of medals rather than campaign medals or valor awards. I’m guessing that jacket wasn’t cheap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_0983_jpeg-3160842.JPG

View Quote

A lot of people get MSM or BSM license plates because they are either free in that state or significantly reduced in price.  I typically get one car with PH plates for free and one with BSM plates for like $12 annual registration.

I don't wear a leather jacket with them on it though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

thanks for the explanation. Sometimes you .mil dudes talk in a language I don’t understand
View Quote

I try to make it plain English for most of my .mil related threads or include photos graphs or screenshots with info but was trying to figure out how best to break it down but had some trouble thinking of how to relate it to a civilian equivalent
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lot of people get MSM or BSM license plates because they are either free in that state or significantly reduced in price.  I typically get one car with PH plates for free and one with BSM plates for like $12 annual registration.

View Quote

Okay boom I knew there had to be a rational logical explanation- THANKS!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Saw this guy pass by me

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_0983_jpeg-3160842.JPG

View Quote

That's not a jacket you get at the store.  That's a motorcycle club.  Their center patch is a ribbon they've earned, according to their website.   That guy who rode past you is a hero.  He earned the NDSM.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Sir I find your avatar very distracting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here in Texas, DV (Disabled Veteran) plates are $3/year. I get that people get the other military plates, especially if they're cheaper.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

@DenverDan
This 11 second video always made me laugh
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's not a jacket you get at the store.  That's a motorcycle club.  Their center patch is a ribbon they've earned, according to their website.   That guy who rode past you is a hero.  He earned the NDSM.
View Quote

Well shit they should name a highway after him
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

It's a participation trophy, but only for participation during certain periods.

Yes, it is pretty minimal.  A step beyond simply serving.  Many will enlist when there is less possibility of actually going to war.  When there is conflict going on, some will be less likely to enlist.   This doesn't mean a whole lot since one could enlist during a perceived peaceful time where it is not issued and during that person's service conflicts occur and it gets issued.  

You don't do anything special to get it, nor can you do anything to avoid getting it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ll be damned. Wonder if MSM plates are discounted. I don’t have any cool-guy warhero ones, but I’ve got some MSM’s and Air Medals
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’ll be damned. Wonder if MSM plates are discounted. I don’t have any cool-guy warhero ones, but I’ve got some MSM’s and Air Medals
View Quote

I’m so clueless I’ve been missing out on the possibility of cheaper plates but I have gotten into national parks
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@DenverDan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etb2LGjY3i0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@DenverDan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etb2LGjY3i0

That’s pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

I think it would actually be a funny inside joke license plate for combat arms dudes.

*The "I'm a God damn war hero" meme is spot on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about VA but in Texas BSM/MSM plates are $6 plus fees (comes out to about $12) versus $80+. I pay a $3.50 fee every year to register my truck with PH plates.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can get a medal plate here but it costs you extra.  I don't know anyone that has paid the extra for one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]
When I enlisted in 72, it was called a "everybody" ribbon.
Retiring in 92, a oak leaf was added to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#30]
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

Good Conduct would be hilarious.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

View Quote

ASR
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes the national defense service medal is.

The Meritorious service medal is actually a higher medal that is for actual achievement
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe he enjoys irony.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes the national defense service medal is.

The Meritorious service medal is actually a higher medal that is for actual achievement
View Quote

It depends. Some MSMs are the minimum service reward for certain ranks, regardless of any career achievements. Like Bronze Stars.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, I received a participation medal from Uncle Sam.

No, I would never do anything to advertise that fact.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Two kinda different things

Kids were walking out of AF basic wearing the National Defense one (plus PME ribbon and one other I think, not counting marksman or honor grad). Up to 5 damn ribbons after 8 weeks . We like our flair.
MSM is more based on performance, usually peacetime, and is pretty much an E-7+ or O medal. And when I say performance, I mean didn't fuck up during their time between PCSing.

His jacket is pretty much the equivalent of "I served"
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Also Gulf War.
View Quote

Yeah, my mistake, was only thinking of most recent period
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ASR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ASR

The much coveted AAM
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The much coveted AAM
View Quote

Only those, who achieve, get the AAM.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Did they finally stop the border invasion?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

For discount license plates I’d use anything from the state allowed but jacket I’m still leery of wearing anything I can’t quickly cover or remove if my spidey senses were going off e.g. Lee Rigby

But to answer your question for me valor awards or PH
Although I don’t think many companies have V device for their BSM leather patches

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Wearing motorcycle colors that say "Warrior" to me is an indicator that he is not.  Considering for years boots graduating basic were issued the National Defense Medal should tell you something about the person wearing that jacket.  I'm embarrassed for him.  David
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Nobody gives a shit about any awards one received except that person.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I actually got a miniature of it and the NDSM I put on my suit lapel.  

The only ribbon I give a shit about is this one and I had to hunt down a lapel pin online.  

The one I got fighting with Captain Plissken, the Siberian Campaign Ribbon:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1878/IMG_2570-3160960.jpg
View Quote

Extremely rare combat service ribbon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#46]
National Defense Medal is pretty much a participation award, everybody got them during Desert Storm.  Don't ever think about it.

Meritorious Service Medal and Air Medal, not so much.  I've received two of each and still never advertised it (up until right now), and don't expect I ever will again.  That was 34 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nobody gives a shit about any awards one received except that person.
View Quote

My DMV does. I'm fine with saving $200 a year.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#49]
That shit is terrible. I bet he eats free 6 times on Veterans Day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Marksman badge
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top