Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Vietnam War Veteran license plates on my Tundra.

I don't it on there because I crave people saying "thank you for your service".  I don't give a shit if somebody knows I am a Veteran or not.

However, I do drive with a heavy foot.  I tend to drive faster than speed limit most of the time, especially in my Tundra.  This crap about Boomers driving slow is horseshit.

In my AO most of the Deputies that patrol the highways are veterans themselves.  They tend to give out warnings to Veterans instead of cash tickets.

My plates have saved me from several cash tickets.   Of course there was this one American hating, Veteran hating SOB Deputy last October that gave me a speeding ticket.  May he rot in Hell for not honoring my service.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Martlet

On a side note thanks for looking up the club, never occurred to me to try, I’m short bus slow sometimes

View Quote

No reason you should know or think to look it up.  I just spend more time on bikes than I do most other things so anytime I see a top rocker I assume it's a club or someone who wants to be in a club.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I received a MSM as a retirement award. I never would have dreamed to get an Auto Plate with one, but I did get excited about getting one from the WI DMV if it was cheaper. There retarded.
A. no lower cost, its actually $15 more a year to renew Military plates.
B. They list a Distinguished Service Medal not Meritorious.

Thanks WI....Grrrrrrrr.
View Quote

I know right...

Ya gotta pay more for a purple heart plate too...wonder if they charge extra one with cluster?...
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I think there are multiple award CARs, one per campaign area.
View Quote

I'm probably wrong.

I don't really GAS about ribbons and medals from decades ago, but I don't remember the Panama guys getting another one with desert storm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He’s not listed.Link

I’m sure that there are omissions from that list. What was the unit?
View Quote

299th Engineers MRBC
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of the patches our medics had on their bags

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1047_jpeg-3161370.JPG
View Quote

Yoink. I'm sending that to my medic buddy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're right, because I don't fail.

As a platoon sergeant on two combat deployments (Afghanistan and Syria) I wrote and got approved Bronze Stars for every member of my platoon, including several E4's.  They also had more than enough qualitative data to earn them twice over.
View Quote

Our reward criteria was based on rank for service awards(not achievement or special awards). Guidance was recommending one higher than the intended award because brigade policy was to reduce the award by one level that it was submitted at.

Shitty policy, but it was what it was.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

299th Engineers MRBC
View Quote

Are you sure you aren’t remembering Captain Daniel Hibner with A/11 EN BN? A little googling and it seems like your unit was partnered with that unit, and were part of some pretty crazy river crossings during the Iraq invasion.

Were you at Objective Peach with the boat crossings?

Hibner did get a Silver Star from those actions and the citation is a little sparse on detail.

Interestingly, here’s a guy from your unit talking about a Silver Star citation for an AF guy that does not match his recollections of the battle:

Link

Does sound like your unit did some badass noteworthy stuff, and there were probably guys that didn’t get awards they deserved.

#cap6888
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No reason you should know or think to look it up.  I just spend more time on bikes than I do most other things so anytime I see a top rocker I assume it's a club or someone who wants to be in a club.
View Quote

I’ve ridden solo since college in the 1990s never joined a club. Did chat to a group of 7 guys on dual sports riders going thru a national park that made me think I could be missing out. Didn’t rude for a long span - while married ex wife loved it when I was dating her and single frowned on it once we got married after the divorce in 2017 I started riding more again

Gotta proofread every post my fat thumb and grammar is ridiculous
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't get awarded purple hearts, and you have to do literally nothing yourself to earn one.  It's an entitlement, not an award, due to the enemy wounding you.  It says nothing towards your character, bravery, or ethics.

Therefore I fail to see your point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will just say that John Kerry was awarded two purple hearts. I'll leave it at that.

People have been awarded lots of medals - usually the kind of top brass dimwits that FJB chooses for his "advisors".

The real hero's though usually received their medals posthumously.

You don't get awarded purple hearts, and you have to do literally nothing yourself to earn one.  It's an entitlement, not an award, due to the enemy wounding you.  It says nothing towards your character, bravery, or ethics.

Gook shooting badge is what my Top called them, but it usually shows the individual has been in combat
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you sure you aren’t remembering Captain Daniel Hibner with A/11 EN BN? A little googling and it seems like your unit was partnered with that unit, and were part of some pretty crazy river crossings during the Iraq invasion.

Were you at Objective Peach with the boat crossings?

Hibner did get a Silver Star from those actions and the citation is a little sparse on detail.

Interestingly, here’s a guy from your unit talking about a Silver Star citation for an AF guy that does not match his recollections of the battle:

Link

Does sound like your unit did some badass noteworthy stuff, and there were probably guys that didn’t get awards they deserved.

#cap6888
View Quote

Wow! I remember Lindhal.  Can’t believe you found that article too.  I was operating one of the boats when we built the float bridge that night.  Wearing PVS7s and in MOPP4 (we got mortared and someone hit the panic button and thought we were getting gassed).  I would concur with Lindhal’ account of things.  I don’t remember A10s leading up to the crossing. Lots of Apache’s though.  The Captain referred to in the article is probably the leader of the 12Bs attached to us. My CO was definitely Capt. Thompson. He was a good dude and good CO. He was actually my PL before he got promoted. And I’m sure he got a Silver Star.  IMO no one in my unit did anything “valor” worthy. Not to say we didn’t do good things. Just not hero things.  

Thanks for that article. Definitely gonna print that out and put it with my war memorabilia.

ETA-Here’s a pic of me in my boat. We camped on the river for weeks while the bridge was in place.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Gook shooting badge is what my Top called them, but it usually shows the individual has been in combat
View Quote

We called it "The Expert Enemy Marksmanship Badge."
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh 100%…there’s plenty of CABs during AFG/Iraq that were pretty legit  getting into gun fights and blown the fuck up. There’s also a shit ton that were given as freebies when a fuckin rocket or mortar landed like a klick away and the fobbits had to spill their green beans running for a bunker and would get a CAB.

I’ve heard stories about some dudes getting FreeIBs (CIBs without getting into actual combat but I’ve never directly seen it I any unit I served with…they followed the wording to the letter you had to “ actively close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires”.

CMB deserves a mention too…Docs need love.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the Army's CAB. If you're a clerk and you have a gunfight with the Taliban, I'm down with that shit.

Oh 100%…there’s plenty of CABs during AFG/Iraq that were pretty legit  getting into gun fights and blown the fuck up. There’s also a shit ton that were given as freebies when a fuckin rocket or mortar landed like a klick away and the fobbits had to spill their green beans running for a bunker and would get a CAB.

I’ve heard stories about some dudes getting FreeIBs (CIBs without getting into actual combat but I’ve never directly seen it I any unit I served with…they followed the wording to the letter you had to “ actively close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires”.

CMB deserves a mention too…Docs need love.

I got my CAB as a medic... somewhat unusual from what I gather. Route Tampa to Q-West, just clearing Mosul - after some fun hijinks ensued on a halt, they let me out of the Maxxpro a little early and things got interesting again

I would get that plate if I could.... but WA doesn't offer it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I realized going thru my Grandmother’s stuff after her funeral I have no idea whatever happened to my high school letterman jacket - fake leather sleeves and pins for track ( I absolutely sucked at it ) swim team {was pretty good} and football { I was 2nd string cornerback and 3rd string quarterback }
View Quote

My sister was wearing mine when she was killed in a car accident while I was in Germany.

We were best buds and she liked having it on to remind her of me while I was gone...
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

In Iraq, I had a Marine come to me after a "firefight". It was at night and just some guy shooting about 5 rounds or so and running away. The guy may not have even been shooting at us. No one even returned fire.

The Marine said "Doc, I have been wounded." I asked where. He showed me a 4" scratch on his forearm and said: "I think it was bullet." It wasn't even bleeding. Then said in all seriousness, and a bit proudly: "This qualifies me for a Purple Heart."  I told him his ouchie wasn't a bullet, but he snagged it on something sharp and didn't even qualify him for a band-aid.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will just say that John Kerry was awarded two purple hearts. I'll leave it at that.

People have been awarded lots of medals - usually the kind of top brass dimwits that FJB chooses for his "advisors".

The real hero's though usually received their medals posthumously.

Some people may have done nothing in your book to get awarded their purple hearts...but you better yell that pretty loud because it's a long way to Arlington...

I know more than a few who got "entitled" to theirs because they left the safety of cover to go after a wounded friend.

I know a few more that volunteered for VN and got wounded and I know a few more than that who volunteered to secure downed aircraft and rescue survivors...

I realize that the award does not speak to you in the same way it speaks to many others...

and I know the reason for that as well...
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’ve ridden solo since college in the 1990s never joined a club. Did chat to a group of 7 guys on dual sports riders going thru a national park that made me think I could be missing out. Didn’t rude for a long span - while married ex wife loved it when I was dating her and single frowned on it once we got married after the divorce in 2017 I started riding more again

Gotta proofread every post my fat thumb and grammar is ridiculous
View Quote

It's really nice having a group of guys I can ride with whenever.  I ride street and dirt with a little dual sport enduro racing thrown in.   I joined a group because you get a discount on off-road registrations if you belong.  Within that group there was a group of guys that rode street bikes together as well.  It was a natural transition and I love getting home from work and tossing up on the group chat that I'm heading out for an hour or two last minute and getting a few guys up for a ride.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Some people may have done nothing in your book to get awarded their purple hearts...but you better yell that pretty loud because it's a long way to Arlington...

I know more than a few who got "entitled" to theirs because they left the safety of cover to go after a wounded friend.

I know a few more that volunteered for VN and got wounded and I know a few more than that who volunteered to secure downed aircraft and rescue survivors...

I realize that the award does not speak to you in the same way it speaks to many others...

and I know the reason for that as well...
View Quote

The Purple Heart by itself does not denote the circumstances, the accompanying impact award does, if deserved.  That's why the PH is not an award by definition.  It is an entitlement.

I've seen people get them for charging into burning Bradleys to drag wounded out, I've seen them given for getting fragged while beating off in a porta shitter during a mortar attack. Both equally deserved.

I got mine for getting hit by a grenade somebody threw out of a 4th story window at me.  I never saw the guy, never returned fire, just saw a flash and woke up in my turret covered in blood.  Nothing particularly heroic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Purple Heart by itself does not denote the circumstances, the accompanying impact award does, if deserved.  That's why the PH is not an award by definition.  It is an entitlement.

I've seen people get them for charging into burning Bradleys to drag wounded out, Ive seen them people for getting fragged while beating off in port shitters during a mortar attack.
View Quote

It's Port-A-Shitter, get it right.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's Port-A-Shitter, get it right.
View Quote

Tell my phone that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There was only one CIB per infantryman from 1961 to 1995 for the following operations:

1. Vietnam
2. Dominican Republic
3. DMZ Korea
4. El Salvador
5. Grenada
6. JSA Korea
7. Panama
8. Desert Storm
9. Somalia
View Quote

So if a grunt was in more than one of these, he only got one CIB? That doesn’t sound right.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So if a grunt was in more than one of these, he only got one CIB? That doesn’t sound right.

View Quote

Yeah. I feel bad for some guys. My dad is one of the few with a star over his CIB, but he should probably have two.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Isn’t that the military’s version of a participation trophy
View Quote

Why yes, yes it is............................
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Thee OP's picture reminded me of my Dad's funeral.  He passed shortly before his 90th birthday.  He was a WWII Navy veteran who served in the Pacific.  My father in law and mother in law came to the funeral home for visitation.  My father in law is a career Air Force NCO, he enlisted around 1950 and served in Korea during the war.  He was still in and was a Crew Chief on a KC135 tanker flying refuleing missions in the Viet Nam theater.

In walks my brother, who was drafted into the Army around 1969 and stayed for a career.  After training he received orders and shipped out to Schofield Barracks in Hawaii.  He never saw Viet Nam, in fact the most action he saw was a bar fight or two while in Germany.  Defintitely no combat.

I enlisted in the MARINES during my senior year in high school in 1971.  I went to Aviation Electrician School and then to MCAS New River.  Two different cruises, but like my brother I did not see any combat.

The evening of my Dad's funeral visitation my brother came in using a cane to walk with and wearing this hat...............................................................................

No one said a word about his hat, nor did they ask why he needed a cane to walk.  Funny thing, the next day when we were at the graveside service my brother did not wear the hat, and remarkably he didn't need a cane to walk.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top