User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And it appears the navigator is equipped with a slide rule...
View Quote
You just herniated my brain by imagining high speed navigation with a USSR slide rule.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Read a article that said these where made to counter SR-71. That these planes succeeded in stopping over flights from SR-71. Any stories on that or truth?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does it have that beautiful green hue that the Ruskies are so fond of?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The inside of the cockpit looks like the dashboard of an old tractor.
Magnesium Chromate everything
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Can it do a negative G push over?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Soviet spies inside the Canadian CF-105 Arrow plant halted production.

The fucking Russians have always been better at copying and reverse engineering, than coming up with new ideas

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Russians have been effectively out of the combat aircraft business since the captured Germans died and their captured German research went out of date.
Soviet spies inside the Canadian CF-105 Arrow plant halted production.

The fucking Russians have always been better at copying and reverse engineering, than coming up with new ideas

That was historically our strength as well, against the Brits & French.  Everyone's better at it and equal-opportunity offenders, the guys at the front just don't have the opportunity to copy.  If we encounter aliens, the first thing we'll do is start copying shit again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't recall them being that maintenance intensive,  but there was definitely a "war emergency" setting that allowed the 25 (and probably 31) to hit speeds around mach 3.1 or 3.2 for a limited time at the expense of pretty much totalling the engines. IIRC the usual "safe" maximum speed was mach 2.8, but I could be totally off base.

ETA according to wikipedia I'm right so I'm probably wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn’t it only able to go afterburners once before having its engines replaced or something similar?

Edit: I think the above refers to the Mig25.
I don't recall them being that maintenance intensive,  but there was definitely a "war emergency" setting that allowed the 25 (and probably 31) to hit speeds around mach 3.1 or 3.2 for a limited time at the expense of pretty much totalling the engines. IIRC the usual "safe" maximum speed was mach 2.8, but I could be totally off base.

ETA according to wikipedia I'm right so I'm probably wrong
Yeah the Ruskies let us track a Mig 25 at Mach3 on radar in a little stunt.  It had to land dead stick because the engines were toast.  This got us all freaked out so we developed the F-15.  LOL

Then a Mig 25 defected and we realized it was a POS...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was historically our strength as well, against the Brits & French.  
View Quote
Some examples?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magnesium Chromate is red/orange.  Maybe you're thinking of zinc chromate?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Our guys were afraid of this thing until we got ahold of Belenko's and realized that the only thing it was any good at was going fast in a straight line.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Our guys were afraid of this thing until we got ahold of Belenko's and realized that the only thing it was any good at was going fast in a straight line.
View Quote
There was a book about the Mig 25 defection.  They were taking it apart to get intel and noticed the main wing spar was some exotic red alloy.  Someone took a magnet (ding) stuck right to it.

Not exotic alloy at all, just heavy ass steel beam.  LMAO
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks armed for short and medium range engagements to me.  Maybe they learned from the Korea Air incident, but I wouldn't chance it.  If I had to guess based on how this one is armed, they might be made to make visual ID before engaging.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/5/0/0/2160005.jpg?v=v40
View Quote
The R-37 missiles it is carrying on the fuselage are afaik the longest ranged air to air weapons in the world.  They are also most effective vs large targets like airliners.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The R-37 missiles it is carrying on the fuselage are afaik the longest ranged air to air weapons in the world.  They are also most effective vs large targets like airliners.
View Quote
What you did there...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Russian products look like they are cobbled together out of recycle soup cans.

ETA; However, Khabib Nurmagomedov did kick Conor McGregor's ass last night in Vegas.
View Quote
Are you referencing the stealth Irish interceptor, the GU-1L?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The narrator kept talking about all the G-forces from flying so fast and high.  Flying fast and high do not produce Gs, turning or accelerating does.  Then he directly conflates vibrations with G-forces .  He had no idea what he was talking about, and neither did the writer.

Some of the guys also say that the plane can shoot down satellites.  Hmm, let's do the math.

MiG-31
Max speed 3,000kph
Max height 25,000m

Satellite
Average speed ~25,000kph
Average height 200,000m

A satellite is more than eight times faster and eight times higher.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Read a article that said these where made to counter SR-71. That these planes succeeded in stopping over flights from SR-71. Any stories on that or truth?
View Quote

B-70 and no.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The narrator kept talking about all the G-forces from flying so fast and high.  Flying fast and high do not produce Gs, turning or accelerating does.  Then he directly conflates vibrations with G-forces .  He had no idea what he was talking about, and neither did the writer.

Some of the guys also say that the plane can shoot down satellites.  Hmm, let's do the math.

MiG-31
Max speed 3,000kph
Max height 25,000m

Satellite
Average speed ~25,000kph
Average height 200,000m

View Quote
Nevah been done befo...

Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
The Mig-31 has been a POS for over 3 decades.

I doubt it has changed any
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

MiG-31
Max speed 3,000kph
Max height 25,000m

Satellite
Average speed ~25,000kph
Average height 200,000m

View Quote
Lol they don't use an autocannon to shoot satellites down...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

MiG-31
Max speed 3,000kph
Max height 25,000m

Satellite
Average speed ~25,000kph
Average height 200,000m

View Quote
With the proper missile tech it is possible.  We tested a F-15 launched anti sat missile decades ago.  F-15 went vertical as far as it could before launch.  Think we have better ways to smoke sats now though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

With the proper missile tech it is possible.  We tested a F-15 launched anti sat missile decades ago.  F-15 went vertical as far as it could before launch.  Think we have better ways to smoke sats now though.
View Quote
Then it's not a feature of the plane, but the missile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The AC still needs to get up the very high altitude before launch.  Higher the better so yes the AC is an important part of the weapons system.  Probably not many that could fit the role.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone else missing that Primorsky guy right about now?

Remember when he said the Bear bombers were like "sex in skies"
View Quote
Noisy, ugly, sloppy, expensive, messy, and often causing regret afterwards?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.

Mig 25 was made to counter the B-58 Hustler, (in particular, the proposed "Super Hustler" system that was never built,  and the XB-70 Valkyrie Mach 3 heavy bomber that was also never built.  It appears to be based on the airframe of the Mach 2 Vigilante.

"Super Hustler" parasite beneath B-58 Hustler carrier

XB-70 landing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.  It will still be some time IMHO before the true top speed and ceiling of the SR-71 are declassified.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No.  It will still be some time IMHO before the true top speed and ceiling of the SR-71 are declassified.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's been declassified for several decades.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not really a secret - around Mach 3.43 and in excess of 90,000 feet.  However, if you would like to use the engines again, best keep it under Mach 3.3.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
800F, unless actively trying to evade a missile launch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's not really a secret - around Mach 3.43 and in excess of 90,000 feet.  However, if you would like to use the engines again, best keep it under Mach 3.3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

< 90,000 for 1g flight
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else missing that Primorsky guy right about now?

Remember when he said the Bear bombers were like "sex in skies"
I bet the ejector seats work though, Russian aircraft tend to need those in working order
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what do you call it when a fighter shoots down another fighter with a radar homing or infrared homing missile?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Where do they hide all the fuel that those giant engines have to drink like vodka?
View Quote
Hell if I know, but they've got almost 40,000 pounds of internal fuel hidden in there, somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, that’s it...... should have remembered considering all the Russkie models I built and having a hard time finding that paint color for the cockpit
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
< 90,000 for 1g flight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

< 90,000 for 1g flight
IMHO excess of 90,000 feet sounds a bit vague.  Also most of the specs I read said excess of 80,000 feet.  So right there it's gained 10,000 ft in ceiling.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
IMHO excess of 90,000 feet sounds a bit vague.  Also most of the specs I read said excess of 80,000 feet.  So right there it's gained 10,000 ft in ceiling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

< 90,000 for 1g flight
When I was a kid 25 years ago, it's maximum speed was Mach 3. Very vaguely Mach 3.

It's gotten 10% faster in 25 years, but the point about it not having a speed limit, but a temperature limit is very interesting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

< 90,000 for 1g flight
Less than 90,000ft.  The envelope is 310<v<450 KEAS & Ttot<800F.  That envelope pretty much keeps you below 85,000 feet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Where do they hide all the fuel that those giant engines have to drink like vodka?
View Quote
Probably in drums under tarps until the goodfellaskis come pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That these planes succeeded in stopping over flights from SR-71. Any stories on that or truth?
View Quote
Did the SR71 actually overfly any of the Soviet Union?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Space affairs use to give civvies rides in their Mig 31 but it's no longer available. I think at the time I saw the price was about $15,000 to ride to 90,000+ feet. All civilian flights there were suspended in 2017.

https://www.space-affairs.com/

MIG-25 - Earthviews - To The Edge Of Space - 92,500 ft
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#42]
But are the pilots sober?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Did the SR71 actually overfly any of the Soviet Union?
View Quote
Oh yeah.

Lots of times.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks armed for short and medium range engagements to me.  Maybe they learned from the Korea Air incident, but I wouldn't chance it.  If I had to guess based on how this one is armed, they might be made to make visual ID before engaging.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/5/0/0/2160005.jpg?v=v40
Looks like it has at least 4 R60s too, you know, for short range engagements.  I highly doubt a Mig-31 driver intends to turn and burn with a F-15/16/18, or that any form of traditional dog fighting has ever been considered by Mig 25/31 crews so...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#45]
So $25000 to ride one ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So $25000 to ride one ?
View Quote
Book your flight now, $20,000 to edge of space flight.
https://www.migflug.com/en/jet-fighter-flights/flying-with-a-jet/mig-29-edge-of-space.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm guessing you've never had to fly against an Su-30MKK or Su-30 MKI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Russians have been effectively out of the combat aircraft business since the captured Germans died and their captured German research went out of date.
I'm guessing you've never had to fly against an Su-30MKK or Su-30 MKI.
In.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, that’s it...... should have remembered considering all the Russkie models I built and having a hard time finding that paint color for the cockpit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aeromaster made that color...I have a bottle or two of it stashed away
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#49]
keep thisn' going

Russia MiG-31 carrying Kinzhal hypersonic missile

Attachment Attached File

still a mean looking bird for what its worth
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Aeromaster made that color...I have a bottle or two of it stashed away
View Quote
Look @ "Ammo by Mig" paint. Here is the kit for the cockpit.

They have ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the fucking colors of every fucking thing you could imagine.

Some goddamned obscure german camo paint that was only used on 87 tanks made from June of 42' to Feb of 43'.

Yah, they've got it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top