BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say what you will about the Russians but they can build some really stout landing gear.

You don't always have the luxury of a nicely paved runway when your engines fail you're in the Russian military.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
In Desert Storm, I believe our interceptors had the roughest time with the MiG-25s out in Al Anbar province, and those didn't even have modern radars and missiles. I think the extreme high rate of speed made the most problems for the Coalition fighters. There was a squadron of them stationed at Al Asad in Western Anbar, one out of this airbase killed USN LtCdr Scott Speicher on the opening day of DS in '91. Gotta have some respect for the aircraft in that regard. USAF did kill two out west in air to air battle in DS.

Here I am standing behind one there in 2010. They were all maxed out on hours by circa 1995 and were permanently grounded then due to the UN Sanctions and the fall of the Soviet Union. No more parts.

Couple MiG-21s too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazing what one can do with vacuum tube tech.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Mini AWACS. LOL. The Russians must have a pretty weak definition on what an AWACS capabilities should be....
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you have to think in Russian when you fly it?

You sir, win one internet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I threw my MiG-31 in the garbage can.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sir, win one internet.

Believe it or not, the controls are in English on all export MiGs that come out of Russia.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The F-15 shoots down fucking satellites I think cruise missiles are within our grasp, we've been doing it since the '40's

also that article is absolutely hilarious. Maybe its just an awful translation but wow the propaganda is going hot and heavy over there.

In September 1983, they took over military duty in the Far East - at the airport Sokol (Sakhalin Island).
The appearance of the MiG-31 was due in Sakhalin sharp increase
tensions in the region: September 1, Su-15 was intercepted and shot down
by "747," the South Korean airline.

The official version of the sensational story of the "Boeing" is well
known, but so far, so there is no final clarity what was happening in
the sky, Kamchatka and Sakhalin, September 1, 1983. No everyone knew exactly what was happening in the sky. You fools managed to get so spooked from Nato running Able Archer that you did what you did best. Went insane and splashed a passenger 747. The pilot had visual, saw passenger windows and people  and commercial tail marks, relayed all that info back to base, and was told to engage. Then after killing all on board, they tried to doctor the ATC comms by having the pilot re-record certain audio while holding an electric razor up near his face.  
Shortly after arriving the "31's" in the Far East potential enemy ceased insolently provoke defense. Ya cause you just blew up a 747
Pilots Fighter Regiment (IAP), which is based on the Kamchatka
Peninsula in 1987 rose to 214 times the interception of real objectives,
in 1988 - 825 times!  The main opponents of the MiG-31 in the area is the SR, patrol "Orion" and the RC-135 reconnaissance. MIG-31 has never been used against enemy air targets.
An indirect proof of the recognition of the merits of the MiG-31 can be
considered as withdrawn from service in 1989, expensive American
high-altitude aircraft reconnaissance "Lockheed SR-71", previously
thought invulnerable to Soviet air defense fighters.

Quoted:

Interesting facts about the MiG-31

- The unit of four MiG-31 can protect 600 km wide air space (there are 800-900km numbers in some sources, with updated radar). The targets info could be shared through data link between aircraft in group, the other groups of interceptors and ground control.

MiG's interceptor is capable to give a control/guidance on a its long-range missiles to other interceptor.

http://s004.radikal.ru/i207/1001/27/3393a3a23aa4.png

- Modernized Mig-31 could be used as "mini-AWACS" platform to direct fighter jet aircrafts (mig-29s, su-27s etc) to detected enemy targets

- It's well suited to intercept/shot down low-flying cruise missiles with its large powerful radar and AAMs (what F-15 or F-22 can't do i believe). During the drils, MiG-31 shot down Strizh-3M(supersonic cruise missile-targets).

- MiG-31 holds impressive record - the world's longest kill with AAM "R-37" - 304km (188mi)

- The story about successful interception of SR-71 by MiG-31s near the Kamchatka Peninsula told by MiG-31's ex-pilot:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnibler.ru%2Fcognitive%2F13334-protivostoyanie-mig-31-i-sr-71-blackbird-na-kamchatke.html

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In Desert Storm, I believe our interceptors had the roughest time with the MiG-25s out in Al Anbar province, and those didn't even have modern radars and missiles. I think the extreme high rate of speed made the most problems for the Coalition fighters. There was a squadron of them stationed at Al Asad in Western Anbar, one out of this airbase killed USN LtCdr Scott Speicher on the opening day of DS in '91. Gotta have some respect for the aircraft in that regard. USAF did kill two out west in air to air battle in DS.

Here I am standing behind one there in 2010. They were all maxed out on hours by circa 1995 and were permanently grounded then due to the UN Sanctions and the fall of the Soviet Union. No more parts.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/76784_912801052261_5674196_n.jpg

Couple MiG-21s too.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/75302_912808567201_615669_n.jpg

um no not really.  Mig 25 while fast in a straight line is nothing but a one trick pony, our F15s had ZERO problems with them.  Just FWIW I was with the 53rd out of Bitburg.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
the F-15 hasnt been able to shoot down satellites since the late 80's, iirc...no ASATs to shoot

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couple MiG-21s too.

um no not really.  Mig 25 while fast in a straight line is nothing but a one trick pony, our F15s had ZERO problems with them.  Just FWIW I was with the 53rd out of Bitburg.

From what I understand the problem we had with them was trying to catch them when they were running away from our 15s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the F-15 hasnt been able to shoot down satellites since the late 80's, iirc...no ASATs to shoot  

Because of our Congress.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Ahhhhh yes, more propaganda from comrade primorsky russkiebear.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
What, there can be no Mig thread without the customary crash photo.

I am disappoint.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]

nor did the Israelis,

On 13 February 1981, Israeli Air Force sent two RF-4Es over Lebanon as a decoy for Syrian MiG-25 interceptors. As the MiGs scrambled, the RF-4Es turned back delivering chaffs and using ECM pods. Two IDF/AF F-15A were waiting for the MiGs and shot one of them down with AIM-7F missiles. The other MiG was able to escape. The trap was repeated on 29 July 1981 and 7 June 1982, when another two Syrian MiG-25s were downed by IDF/AF F-15As, one on each date. Finally, on 31 August 1983, a fourth Syrian MiG-25 was damaged by an Israeli Hawk SAM and then dispatched by an IDF/AF F-15. No Israeli aircraft were lost to the MiG-25.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- The unit of four MiG-31 can protect 600 km wide air space (there are 800-900km numbers in some sources, with updated radar). The targets info could be shared through data link between aircraft in group, the other groups of interceptors and ground control.

MiG's interceptor is capable to give a control/guidance on a its long-range missiles to other interceptor.

- Modernized Mig-31 could be used as "mini-AWACS" platform to direct fighter jet aircrafts (mig-29s, su-27s etc) to detected enemy targets

- It's well suited to intercept/shot down low-flying cruise missiles with its large powerful radar and AAMs (what F-15 or F-22 can't do i believe). During the drils, MiG-31 shot down Strizh-3M(supersonic cruise missile-targets).

- MiG-31 holds impressive record - the world's longest kill with AAM "R-37" - 304km (188mi)

- The story about successful interception of SR-71 by MiG-31s near the Kamchatka Peninsula told by MiG-31's ex-pilot:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnibler.ru%2Fcognitive%2F13334-protivostoyanie-mig-31-i-sr-71-blackbird-na-kamchatke.html

mini-awacs was a nice touch.

You may laugh, but the president has actually authorized plans to increase the thrust/weight ratio of the AWACS and arm it, enabling it to perform an A2A role to counter the threat of these planes. The back half of the modernized AWACS is actually a mix of missile launchers(which look surprizingly similar to the torpedo tubes on an AKULA class submarine. I''d post pics, but it was classified Above Top Secret. I have some, because my IPhone was on video mode. Which was really actually weird, because I had shut it off. anyway) and a futuristic "Dolomite" propulsion system that can also double as a weapon itself. But I've said too much already.

Was that space freed up by the world band radar that operates off of lasers shot into the ionoshpere?  I saw one once, getting installed but was asked to leave...

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
From what I understand the problem we had with them was trying to catch them when they were running away from our 15s.

My understanding as well.  NATO had no trouble dealing with -25s that chose to engage, but had problems cathing the ones who didn't...
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Is this the one that flew across radar screens and burned out the engines to fool those Yankee bastards?
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may laugh, but the president has actually authorized plans to increase the thrust/weight ratio of the AWACS and arm it, enabling it to perform an A2A role to counter the threat of these planes. The back half of the modernized AWACS is actually a mix of missile launchers(which look surprizingly similar to the torpedo tubes on an AKULA class submarine. I''d post pics, but it was classified Above Top Secret. I have some, because my IPhone was on video mode. Which was really actually weird, because I had shut it off. anyway) and a futuristic "Dolomite" propulsion system that can also double as a weapon itself. But I've said too much already.

Was that space freed up by the world band radar that operates off of lasers shot into the ionoshpere?  I saw one once, getting installed but was asked to leave...

Yes, and they only used 40% dolomite. Idiots.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and they only used 40% dolomite. Idiots.

The problem is always the dilithium crystal converters.  They haven't figured out how to reverse the polarity consistently enough for consistent targeting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does the pilot have to be sober to achieve these results, or is it all plane?

Wvodka?

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting aircraft, but it is less than ideal for anything other than intercepting bombers that cant fight back and slow non-stealthy cruise missiles (and even then I'm not sure how realistic this ever was). Attempts to make it an AWACS killer and to keep it relevant WRT to the cruise missle threat are iffy at best  (both from a doctrinal and a practical perspective). Throw in the fact that it's radar tech has been compromised and you have an aircraft that doesn't really have much usefulness beyond interception of limited airspace intrusions (which I suppose is really mostly what it gets used for these days anyway). The datalink, PESA radar, and targeting systems were pretty interesting for their time, but they are largely standard fare nowadays on aircraft that are far more versitile.  I suppose it's doctrinally interesting as well for those looking at soviet military history since it represents the big move from GCI to autonomous intercepts.

I asked an f-16 pilot friend about the 31 years ago.
His reply (as squadron weapons officer) was "big, fast, dirty signature, shoots shitty missiles".
I think that summed it up.

He was much more impressed by the Sukhoi 27 and the Mig 29.

Su-27 and the Mig-29 seem to be pretty capable aircraft if a bit spartan by western standards. When they first came on the scene they had a lot of features you didnt see in western aircraft. IIRC the high of bore sight a2a short range missiles proved to be extremely deadly in DACT with former East German migs in the 90s.  The su27 was a great AC as well, very versitile. The original models are somewhat dated, but the newer versions like the SU-37 and Mig-35 are extremely mature aircraft and have all the bells and whistles. Western 5th gen aircraft will knock the snot out of them given the stealth and avionics advantages, but they are still very capable and for the time being might just be the best value out there for true multirole fighters especially to countries that dont have the maintenance and logistics capabilities of western countries and that dont have access to block 60+ F-16 or the new F-15E/SE (and even then the Russian A/C have a few features here and there that even those dont).

True. The R-73 was better than the AIM-9X, the Su-27/MIG-29 had a BVR IR weapon, the original F-16s lacked BVR capability unlike the MIG-29 and more. The F-15 and F-16 had their advantages, though the Su-27 and MIG-29 had their own.

The MIG-31 is impressive due to its speed and the fact that is has the longest range air to air missile ever fielded. But as others said, it is a bomber/AWACs killer. One trick pony indeed.

But thats a strike plane.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#23]
But as others said, it is a bomber/AWACs killer

I've always been curious to see how much an agressor would really be willing to expend to knock out an AWACS bird.  Seriously, considering how well protected a US or NATO AWACS would be at any given time, would a -31 have been a credible threat?
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Very cool aircraft. I just love how much of it is engine.

The one thing the soviets always had in supply and you never needed to stand in line for? Hubris.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say what you will about the Russians but they can build some really stout landing gear.

Are those wheelbarrow tires?

Tractor tires from People's Tractor Factory #34 in Minsk komrade!

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Like how I love the A-10 is mostly gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like how I love the A-10 is mostly gun.

I love that too. I love alllll planes

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Love that C model speed brake.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
It's an interceptor. It works well enough against undefended aircraft. It can launch a missile, but it wouldn't last more than one turn against a fighter.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My understanding as well.  NATO had no trouble dealing with -25s that chose to engage, but had problems cathing the ones who didn't...

Scott Speicher's F/A-18 was shot down by a MiG-25

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting aircraft, but it is less than ideal for anything other than intercepting bombers that cant fight back and slow non-stealthy cruise missiles (and even then I'm not sure how realistic this ever was). Attempts to make it an AWACS killer and to keep it relevant WRT to the cruise missle threat are iffy at best  (both from a doctrinal and a practical perspective). Throw in the fact that it's radar tech has been compromised and you have an aircraft that doesn't really have much usefulness beyond interception of limited airspace intrusions (which I suppose is really mostly what it gets used for these days anyway). The datalink, PESA radar, and targeting systems were pretty interesting for their time, but they are largely standard fare nowadays on aircraft that are far more versitile.  I suppose it's doctrinally interesting as well for those looking at soviet military history since it represents the big move from GCI to autonomous intercepts.

I asked an f-16 pilot friend about the 31 years ago.
His reply (as squadron weapons officer) was "big, fast, dirty signature, shoots shitty missiles".
I think that summed it up.

He was much more impressed by the Sukhoi 27 and the Mig 29.

Su-27 and the Mig-29 seem to be pretty capable aircraft if a bit spartan by western standards. When they first came on the scene they had a lot of features you didnt see in western aircraft. IIRC the high of bore sight a2a short range missiles proved to be extremely deadly in DACT with former East German migs in the 90s.  The su27 was a great AC as well, very versitile. The original models are somewhat dated, but the newer versions like the SU-37 and Mig-35 are extremely mature aircraft and have all the bells and whistles. Western 5th gen aircraft will knock the snot out of them given the stealth and avionics advantages, but they are still very capable and for the time being might just be the best value out there for true multirole fighters especially to countries that dont have the maintenance and logistics capabilities of western countries and that dont have access to block 60+ F-16 or the new F-15E/SE (and even then the Russian A/C have a few features here and there that even those dont).

True. The R-73 was better than the AIM-9X, the Su-27/MIG-29 had a BVR IR weapon, the original F-16s lacked BVR capability unlike the MIG-29 and more. The F-15 and F-16 had their advantages, though the Su-27 and MIG-29 had their own.

The MIG-31 is impressive due to its speed and the fact that is has the longest range air to air missile ever fielded. But as others said, it is a bomber/AWACs killer. One trick pony indeed.

Against a neer peer/western adversary in a medium to large scale intrusion, it likely wouldnt be very capable especially when we start throwing ESM/Jamming into the equation. It's radar tech has been thoroughly compromised .They actually had to scramble "upgrade" the radars to mitigate the damage done by the compromise hence the creation of the MiG-31BM and the radar "upgrades" comrade primorsky is talking about, and even then it's not likely to have eliminated the problem. Those large powerful radars are  likely nothing but easily jammed "shoot me" beacons at this point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couple MiG-21s too.

Right, that's why I said the USAF killed two of them. It was the USN's F-18s which had the issue. The MiG-25 is not a dog fighter, but a successful tactic they used was to fire their entire payload once in range, hope for the best, then bug out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The MIG 25/31 are obsolete aircraft built to fill an obsolete role.

What considerations make MiG-31 obsolete aircraft that fill an obsolete role?
Strategic bombers and cruise missile are still a highly considerable threat. And the MiG-31 is a very usefull and most preferable in its role to oppose these air threats as an autonomous platfrom or the component of the PVO.
It's truly amazing PVO (air defense) platfrom that still doesn't have a direct equivalents and analogues.

Quoted:
Interesting aircraft, but it is less than ideal for anything other than intercepting bombers that cant fight back and slow non-stealthy cruise missiles (and even then I'm not sure how realistic this ever was).

The 31's weapons system was designed to hit cruise missiles in the first place. Cruise missile is a  quite standard target for the MiG-31. Even if CM  can go supersonic. These capabilities are well proven many times during the air defense drills. They are more likely working on the MiG's abilities against a stealthy CMs, which Russia's Air Force already have in its inventory.

Attempts to make it an AWACS killer and to keep it relevant WRT to the cruise missle threat are iffy at best  (both from a doctrinal and a practical perspective). Throw in the fact that it's radar tech has been compromised and you have an aircraft that doesn't really have much usefulness beyond interception of limited airspace intrusions (which I suppose is really mostly what it gets used for these days anyway).
The datalink, PESA radar, and targeting systems were pretty interesting for their time, but they are largely standard fare nowadays on aircraft that are far more versitile.  I suppose it's doctrinally interesting as well for those looking at soviet military history since it represents the big move from GCI to autonomous intercepts.

The new modernized modification is very promosing. They implemented to the Foxhound's role some of strike / anti-ship capabilities.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott Speicher's F/A-18 was shot down by a MiG-25

After the Mig-25 was misidentified by an AWACS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Right, that's why I said the USAF killed two of them. It was the USN's F-18s which had the issue. The MiG-25 is not a dog fighter, but a successful tactic they used was to fire their entire payload once in range, hope for the best, then bug out.

No. It was the USAF's AWACS that had a combat identification issue. It wasn't the F/A-18. In fact, an earlier flight of F/A-18s were told not to engage the Mig-25 by the AWACS because the AWACS thought the Mig-25 might be friendly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of our Congress.

It was a disgrace how they cancelled that program.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:05:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AWACS-ski...
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:08:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the pilot have to be sober to achieve these results, or is it all plane?

Wvodka?

Invented by a little old lady from Leningrad...
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Fuck Russian aircraft. Only superiority they have is more practice with ejecting
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Some ex-Soviet pilot had a much less favorable opinion of his Mig31. Saying it could only do Mach 2 once and had to have it's engines completely replaced after each run.

IIRC, he's also the defector who told us that the two planes that worried the Soviets most were the F-14 (solely due to the AIM-54), and the F-15 (solely due to it being a bad MFer).
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Couple MiG-21s too.

Yeah, the speed gives them a somewhat greater RTR for us to deal with...but that necessarily means that they're running, not fighting.  The two that got knocked down were buttfucked by F-15Cs with AIM-7s.  And we don't fly piddly AIM-7s anymore.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couple MiG-21s too.

um no not really. Mig 25 while fast in a straight line is nothing but a one trick pony, our F15s had ZERO problems with them. Just FWIW I was with the 53rd out of Bitburg.

This is true, but the critical part is that they were running away.  They knew better.  The two we did splash apparently didn't.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey, comrade...

Your much vaunted MiG-31 has no combat record, you know that?  My F-15 does.  Quick quiz, how many times has an F-15 been shot down in an air-to-air engagement?

I'll give you a minute while you perform the complicated mental calculations necessary to get to "0".  Or "potato".  Whichever you're more comfortable with.  Possibly, seeing as it's sometimes made from potatos, "vodka" can be your answer.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top