Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/13/2021 10:40:00 AM EDT
A sad ending out of Michigan to a story that should've had a happier one. MLive.com reports that a body was found last Saturday floating in the Tittabawassee River, near Northwood University in Midland. Police have now IDed the body as 69-year-old Leroy Fick, an Auburn resident who won a $2 million jackpot 11 years ago on the Michigan Lottery's Make Me Rich! TV game show.

Authorities haven't disclosed the cause of death, but they say it doesn't appear Fick's death is suspicious. After his June 2010 win, Fick took home about $1 million after taxes, but what happened next now serves as a "cautionary tale" to other lottery winners, notes Play Michigan. ClickOnDetroit.com notes that Fick, who ended up on TLC's Lottery Changed My Life program, dumped about $200,000 into the construction of a new home, as well as $200,000 into annuities.

More money was spent on investments, as well as such items as a new Chevy Camaro, swords, slot machines, and a "significant amount of fireworks," per MLive.com. Just two years after he'd won, Fick was broke.

It emerged that he and another lottery winner had been collecting government assistance despite their wins, prompting state lawmakers to change the criteria on who can apply for food aid. Fick also struggled with legal troubles, with a 45-day jail stint in 2012 for a drug conviction, followed by another prison sentence later that year for convictions of larceny of a firearm and felon in possession of a firearm. "The whole thing just blew up in my face," Fick told the judge in the latter case at the time. "I thought people would love me if I helped them out some. I had the wrong idea, I guess. They all turned on me and that was it." The Midland Police Department is asking anyone with information on Fick's death to call 989-839-4719.

https://www.newser.com/story/307292/he-hit-it-big-in-the-lottery-then-blew-it-all-now-a-tragic-end.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Not at all uncommon.

I've long said that if I ever win (I don't play) that my goal is to end up dead in a gutter with a long string of hookers and blow in my wake.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Not unusual.

I imagine most lottery tickets are sold to people unaccustomed to building and maintaining wealth. When a person like that wins the jackpot, it's hard for them to change their habit of spending everything they have. Many have run through much bigger wins than that in a few years.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The most notable part of this article for me is that there is a river called "Tittabawassee".
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
" spent on investments, as well as .... swords, slot machines, and a "significant amount of fireworks".
View Quote

I like the cut of that mans jib !
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
My grandfather always said that it has no value unless you have earned it.

As a kid, I did not know what he meant.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
No surprise. A lot people that won the lottery had gone thru the same thing. The curse of the lottery  lives on.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can't make your first million on your own, then you're not going to be able to handle it if it just falls in your lap.
This goes for any sum of money really.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Tittabawassee

I love saying that out loud
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Poor people are typically bad with money. Even if given to them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The most notable part of this article for me is that there is a river called "Tittabawassee".
View Quote

Yep, I spent a lot of time fishing on that river and Sanford Lake when I was a kid.  Last year after some heavy rains there were failures of the dams at Edenville and Sanford, now both Wixom and Sanford lakes are basically gone, along with a portion of Sanford.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I know of  two Oregon lottery winners who are broke and they actually sold their annuity for fast cash. One because of meth and now he is back to welding.

The last of his lottery payment he got on a single payment he spent on a huge fence for his property and that is it.

Another is in the same boat, blasted it on fast cars and fast ponies and is back to square one.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
A million or two just isn't what it used to be. Depending on age and a few other factors it may not even be enough to instantly retire on. If you're really smart, and make smart choices then maybe but lord knows I could blow through it pretty damn quick if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude blew it on a "significant amount of fireworks".  
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My grandfather always said that it has no value unless you have earned it.

As a kid, I did not know what he meant.

View Quote

Wise words...
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#15]
They all go broke try to help people. Rappers, athletes, lottery winners.
I would completely disappear. Find a small lot of land with low taxes and live a .nice quite life.
Fucking waste of money.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Poor people are poor for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The show "Curse of the Lottery" was eye opening. A lot of people are incredibly dumb with money.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#19]
How do you go broke when you have $200,000 in annuities?

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A camaro, sword, slot machines and fireworks

Okay maybe I missed the point of the story.
View Quote

He wasted the rest.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh well yolo, can’t take it with you, etc.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've long said that if I ever win (I don't play) that my goal is to end up dead in a gutter with a long string of hookers and blow in my wake.
View Quote

My post-lotto win life will make Charlie Sheen look like the Pope's..................  
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He wasted the rest.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A camaro, sword, slot machines and fireworks

Okay maybe I missed the point of the story.

He wasted the rest.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My post-lotto win life will make Charlie Sheen look like the Pope's..................  
View Quote
Really? With 1 million? That's not exactly fuck you money.
That's maybe pay off the mortgage, invest the rest and go back to work money.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ClickOnDetroit.com notes that Fick, who ended up on TLC's Lottery Changed My Life program, dumped about $200,000 into the construction of a new home, as well as $200,000 into annuities.

More money was spent on investments, as well as such items as a new Chevy Camaro, swords, slot machines, and a "significant amount of fireworks," per MLive.com. Just two years after he'd won, Fick was broke.
View Quote

So he netted $1mm, and put 200k each into a house and annuities, and some unspecified amount into “investments.”

That doesn’t sound too idiotic.

Sounds like he started out trying to manage and use most of it wisely, and then fell off the wagon.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

200,000/1,000,000 = 5

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#28]
What was his arf screen name?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't want to win a lottery, too many people showing up with their hands out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I would be fine if I won.

Just fine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Poor people are typically bad with money. Even if given to them.
View Quote

Well, yeah, they are buying lottery tickets.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

He bought an annuity with $200k. He doesn’t get $200k a year.

Interest rates on those are like 3% these days. So he got like $6k a year from that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
People think a million bucks makes you a big shot but it doesn't.   It's got a financial impact roughly equivalent to working a lower middle class job.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to win a lottery, too many people showing up with their hands out.
View Quote

This is why I would be OK. I don’t have a lot of friends or family, and I would want to help them out anyway. You can’t take it with you after all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
The ONLY people that would know about it are my wife and myself.
Not a single other soul would know.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dude blew it on a "significant amount of fireworks".  
View Quote

He literally watched his winnings go up in smoke.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
People think a millions bucks makes you a big shot but it doesn't.   It's got a financial impact roughly equivalent to working a lower middle class job.

View Quote

It would be life changing for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Review and follow the advice here if you do
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody knows unless you go out of your way to tell them.  Vast majority of people aren't scanning the web for mere million dollar prize winners.

Can you name any of the last 5 people to win a million bucks in your state?  I know I can't.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
People think a million bucks makes you a big shot but it doesn't.   It's got a financial impact roughly equivalent to working a lower middle class job.

View Quote
Yep. $1M invested and if you're able to consistently pull 10% a year you have $100k a year without touching your principal and that's pretty high. It's not as big of a windfall as people think. It did seem like he was trying to do the right thing with a reasonably priced house and an annuity. I'd be curious what and how much those "investments" were.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#41]
500 million Powerball Interview answers buying hookers and cocaine
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#43]
One million after taxes isn't shit.

I would need 5 million after tax to quit my job.

With one million, I would just buy up some cheap rentals with half of it (down payments, not buy them outright).  The other half would go in whatever is the safest vehicle to beat inflation.

My 5 year goal would be able to get enough return to quit my job and live a little bit better than I do now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The ONLY people that would know about it are my wife and myself.
Not a single other soul would know.
View Quote

Exactly.  Remaining anonymous is how you have to do it, this guy clearly had problems with people once he tried to help them out.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Wouldn't be difficult to go through $1 million.  Could enable one to pick up and move or to try things out prior to settling somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bottle rockets, bro.  Bottle rockets.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep, I spent a lot of time fishing on that river and Sanford Lake when I was a kid.  Last year after some heavy rains there were failures of the dams at Edenville and Sanford, now both Wixom and Sanford lakes are basically gone, along with a portion of Sanford.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an old Indian name I believe. I grew up in that area. Did a lot of canoeing and fishing on it. Not great, not terrible.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They all go broke try to help people. Rappers, athletes, lottery winners.
I would completely disappear. Find a small lot of land with low taxes and live a .nice quite life.
Fucking waste of money.
View Quote

Yup look at MC Hammer. Tried to help people he grew up with and broke him.

Look at Allen Iverson only thing about him is because of a deal with Rebook he still makes almost $1mil a year from them and has a $32mil trust that he can't touch until he's in his 50's
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Darwin, Darwin wins again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd take that chance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top