BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Linux needs to get it's act together and get gaming going identical to Microsoft so I can finally ditch Windows

I want to be able to play Tarkov or AAA games day 1 on Linux with no issues.
View Quote
"Linux" is doing fine with gaming. And by Linux, I mean XWayland, Steam, and Proton.

Publisher cooperation, however, is somewhat lacking (even with Proton).
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Combining these two posts, we get:

Sr. software engineer in an agile environment.... Writing shit  code all day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indian designers and execs have destroyed Microsoft and their products
Embracing ‘agile’ has fucked them up, royally.
What does that even mean?

Both of these comments are beyond absurdly uninformed.
No, you just don’t understand the horrid garbage known as ‘agile’, and the garbage it allows to be released as MVP.

Stay in your swimlane.
No, you have literally no idea what you're talking about.  This is my profession, I'm a senior software engineer.  I write software all day every day, in an "agile" environment, and most people who talk about "agile" have no fucking clue what it is.  You are an example.  "Agile" doesn't make anyone release bad software.  

Nope.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I cannot speak to his coding ability but he definitely defends microsoft and windows 10 like he is being paid to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot speak to his coding ability but he definitely defends microsoft and windows 10 like he is being paid to do it.
And nope.

I barely even run Windows. I live in OS X with specialized Linux build VMs almost 99% of the time.

I will generally argue with uninformed people who think Windows is the devil.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just setup a new laptop. I used my ms account during setup and switched to the local account after all of the updates completed. It was pretty simple.
View Quote
Yes, that's much better than creating the local at install and just using it before and after updates.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You mean Microsoft wants to to be more like Apple?
View Quote
Continue?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It certainly eschews documentation so even if the software "works" the end user often has to fiddle around to discover "features".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you have literally no idea what you're talking about.  This is my profession, I'm a senior software engineer.  I write software all day every day, in an "agile" environment, and most people who talk about "agile" have no fucking clue what it is.  You are an example.  "Agile" doesn't make anyone release bad software.  
It certainly eschews documentation so even if the software "works" the end user often has to fiddle around to discover "features".
Windows is generally very well documented unless you are doing very deep kernel development - which almost no one is.

There are quirks that I have discovered over the years, but they’re mostly doing really esoteric things like multi booting hyper-v machines on a single machine with a single boot loader and no actual host OS or something like that.

Yes, you can do that with Windows 10 pro.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's correct, it doesn't require it but it's pretty crippled without it.
View Quote
Continue?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MS lost me with Office 365.

When Office could be purchased for a reasonable one time price, I bought it.  When my choices were a subscription or a free alternative from a third party, I chose the free alternative despite it being a lower quality offering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably...
I've said this multiple times and its been written in numerous new articles as well.  They've already done it with Office , our HUP went from the nice friendly $10 cost to a monthly subscription .

As a result a lot of HUP participants have elected to not buy the latest version office.  I am still running the 2016 version with no intention of upgrading at the cost of a subscription and FWIW the HUP version isn't all that much cheaper than the version you can get without being a HUP participant.
MS lost me with Office 365.

When Office could be purchased for a reasonable one time price, I bought it.  When my choices were a subscription or a free alternative from a third party, I chose the free alternative despite it being a lower quality offering.
You can still buy Office 2019 without a subscription.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Agile makes total sense for what most paying customers want this day in age. By that I mean, frequent updates with small changes. I get it, it keeps contracts going.

But as an individual, that mentality drives me nuts. I don't want something to be updated frequently, I want it done right the first time.

Gradle is a perfect example of a circle-jerk project that can't stop making breaking changes. Rust is an example of a different kind of circle-jerk that has to release major updates multiple times each year. Now the API space is riddled with deprecated members for fundamental shit, like error handling (or the lack thereof).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's not what agile is.

Go educate yourself.
Agile makes total sense for what most paying customers want this day in age. By that I mean, frequent updates with small changes. I get it, it keeps contracts going.

But as an individual, that mentality drives me nuts. I don't want something to be updated frequently, I want it done right the first time.

Gradle is a perfect example of a circle-jerk project that can't stop making breaking changes. Rust is an example of a different kind of circle-jerk that has to release major updates multiple times each year. Now the API space is riddled with deprecated members for fundamental shit, like error handling (or the lack thereof).
There is no such thing as “done right the first time”, because requirements change. That’s what Agile is.

You are arguing for waterfall, which has never even existed. It was created as an anti pattern.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Laughs at all those who do not understand why they are doing this!

The biggest vulnerability on a workstation is not the OS, software, or hardware glitch it is the END USER!  I bet 99% of you all are logged into your computer with full admin rights as well and a great portion of you all would click yes on anything that popped up like the UAC.  But what do I know I only deal with dumb users everyday who click links in their email or yes on anything that pops up.
View Quote
Precisely.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Linux" is doing fine with gaming. And by Linux, I mean XWayland, Steam, and Proton.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linux needs to get it's act together and get gaming going identical to Microsoft so I can finally ditch Windows

I want to be able to play Tarkov or AAA games day 1 on Linux with no issues.

Gaaagh.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Laughs in version 9.5

(Until that gets shitcanned...)
View Quote
Don't laugh long.  I stuck with LightRoom 5 forever, then I got a new Camera.  No RAW format updates.  Go to yearly sub or start converting all photos with 3rd party app and then importing.  Too much of a PITA so they roped me.  They will destroy consumer software eventually.  I can't subscribe to everything.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, they don't.

For those not technically competent enough to know the difference, they've made it easier for it to default to ms online accounts.  That's not really a bad thing, it makes life easier for them, and it's very easy to make it go the other way if you need it to.

Or just don't run Windows 10 Home.
View Quote
I use Windows Pro. There's a shortcut on the bottom of the page when setting up that says, join a domain instead. Select that, create a local account and viola.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Precisely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laughs at all those who do not understand why they are doing this!

The biggest vulnerability on a workstation is not the OS, software, or hardware glitch it is the END USER!  I bet 99% of you all are logged into your computer with full admin rights as well and a great portion of you all would click yes on anything that popped up like the UAC.  But what do I know I only deal with dumb users everyday who click links in their email or yes on anything that pops up.
Precisely.
Why is the push to MS online accounts a solution to this?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've avoided that with my last couple of installations, and I'm really not a fan of the trend.

We'll see how far this goes and how fast.

I'm very skeptical of the idea that any open source flavor of Linux will ever be a good choice for the masses.
View Quote
Why?  The masses need a word precessor and internet. Chromium and Firefox are available. That's all they need.
When it comes to gamers, they can run some stuff natively, but that's the biggest sticking point in needing directx.  
I dabble with Linux here and there, they just need to make file management a little more clear for the average user.  \root or \etc is not a good way to do it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've upgraded the GPU several times without issue.  Your point ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until you decide to upgrade your GPU.
I've upgraded the GPU several times without issue.  Your point ?
nVidia doesn't develop drivers for older versions of Windows 10.  Also older versions of Windows 10 doesn't support newer Intel chips.  Basically LTSC isn't a great option if you tend to upgrade hardware to keep up with the Jones'.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"As time goes on, it is becoming increasingly clear that Microsoft is trying to make local accounts a thing of the past and push all new Windows 10 users to a Microsoft account."

"Since Windows 10 1903, Microsoft quietly changed the Windows Out-of-box Experience (OOBE) or setup experience so that many users are no longer able to create a local account during set up as they could previously."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-wants-to-do-away-with-windows-10-local-accounts/
View Quote
Straight from the Horses Mouth I bolded and underlined the important things.

Local Account

Pros:

Secure.
 ->>>>>>>> Is more private.<<<<<<-
 Always works, regardless of Internet connectivity.

Can have any name/screen name you wish, instead of sharing your email address to everyone who walks by your locked computer.

Can have any password you wish, and it is totally separate from your (hopefully) secure email password.

Cons:

Can't use some apps.

Apps that do work require manual sign-in one by one.

The app sign-in dialog tries to trick you into converting your Standard Account into a Microsoft Account.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as “done right the first time”, because requirements change. That’s what Agile is.

You are arguing for waterfall, which has never even existed. It was created as an anti pattern.
View Quote
I'm not arguing for waterfall in order to fulfill contracts. In fact, I don't even know what waterfall is or means. Agile is the best thing we've had to date, as far as I know.

I'm talking about software not created to fulfill contracts, I'm talking about general tools. Compare Gradle and Maven, for example. Maven releases infrequently but each release is going to be substantial. I can have a pretty good idea of what kind of pain I'm in for when I upgrade Maven. But each Maven release has long-term support, so I don't have to deal with this very often. Gradle, on the other hand, breaks something (on purpose) every damn release. Releases (major ones) are frequent and not supported for more than a couple of years, or maybe a few. This makes my build scripts a maintenance item in and of themselves.

Agile has its place. If you're building something for a client, it definitely has its place. But an operating system is the last place I'd ever want to see it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gaaagh.
View Quote
It's a far superior experience. For one thing, I can pause to a game's menu and the game releases the mouse pointer. I can go to an adjacent monitor and scroll through a guide, for example.

EDIT: Also, the game never takes control of the display. If it's rendering at a lower resolution, it scales to the native resolution. Tabbing out of the game is immediate and no modesetting needs to take place.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seems right in line with where they've been going the last few years. Make everything a subscription. Basic login with updates? $100/year. Want Office? Another $100/year. Want "enhanced" security protection (Bitlocker, MS Managed Applocker, AV)? $100/year.

I'm on the open source side in my shop, but the Windows guys tell me MS is trying to get them to As-a-service everything (Azure AD and SCCM, Office 365 subs, etc), so it's not surprising they bring the pay-all-the-time model to consumers as well.
View Quote
Use PCMatic.
$50 a year for five computers.

It beats all the 'blacklist' style software every time.
The only thing it adds to loading new software is a box "Do you want this program to make system changes to this computer."
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Use PCMatic.
$50 a year for five computers.

It beats all the 'blacklist' style software every time.
The only thing it adds to loading new software is a box "Do you want this program to make system changes to this computer."
View Quote
I remember Windows 2000 rather fondly. The best damned operating system Microsoft ever released. It did 90% of what XP did while needing half the resources.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I use Windows Pro. There's a shortcut on the bottom of the page when setting up that says, join a domain instead. Select that, create a local account and viola.
View Quote
I just set up two local accounts without admin privileges on my win10 home browsing laptop. Made sense to use a non admin account after reading this thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

nVidia doesn't develop drivers for older versions of Windows 10.  Also older versions of Windows 10 doesn't support newer Intel chips.  Basically LTSC isn't a great option if you tend to upgrade hardware to keep up with the Jones'.
View Quote
I am still getting nvidia driver updates on win7
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They still want you to pay for a server OS and run your own Active Directory.  You're just not going to own it anymore.  
View Quote
No, they really want to rent you Azure AD and have you do all your authentication through them. They don't like you only paying once to run a new DC on OEM server licensing till it EOLs when they can squeeze continuous, predictable payments out of you. Particularly since, while you're there, you'll likely rent an office suite and mail hosting and....
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
They have been trying to get me to pay for home, but my card expired and I realize I don't need them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

... People don't want to pay big price tags up front.  They want it free or low monthly payments.... .
View Quote
I can't afford $300 for a program, but I can pay $25 a month forever... It sounds like the people trying to take out 84 month loans on a 10 year old Honda.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is my experience as well.  Also at my shop I'd buy for example Office xx and use the shit out of it for a long as possible.  Only when it gets to be a pain due to compatibility would I upgrade everyone.

So the move to subscription everything will significantly increase my IT budget.
View Quote
Yup. IMHO, the only feature I've really found to be nice in the newer Office packages is when you go to insert a file in an Outlook email, it has a quick list of the last files you've saved. I'm not sure that's enough to justify replacing an older version.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
True.... When Adobe did it I heard predictions of the sky is falling and they will be out of business very soon. Didn't happen

IT Services( software, platform and desktop) is the business model of the future and everyone knows it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not just Microsoft.  Everyone is shifting towards a subscription model.  It is everywhere.  The world is changing.  People don't want to pay big price tags up front.  They want it free or low monthly payments.  Ad-supported or subscription is where it's at.
True.... When Adobe did it I heard predictions of the sky is falling and they will be out of business very soon. Didn't happen

IT Services( software, platform and desktop) is the business model of the future and everyone knows it.  
The best applicable analogy I can think of is the drug trade.  It's probably conveniently appropriate that both the drug & software customers are called "users", because the key to success in both business models is the client's dependency.  No need to watste money on advertising when the users have to keep coming back/paying up.

The drug pushers had it figured out way before business did, but the lessons have obviously been learned.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top