User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell this to anybody born in the 90s and you get this look like you grew a second head. Similar to.the look you get when you tell them 80s dennys was the pinnacle of chain breakfast.

I loved Pizza Hut as a kid. Those were great nights.
View Quote

Tell what to someone born in the 90s? Pizza Hut was the best place to have your birthday for a kid in the 90s.

Deep dish pepperoni pizza, Achy Breaky Heart on the jukebox, and Terminator 2 in the arcade. Later on they got Die Hard and Cruis'n USA.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I still wish Taco Bell was still good and had flavor instead of tasting like sludge after the mid-80s; McD's had decent, hot burgers, tallow-fried fries and hot fried cherry pies, along with working soft serve machines; Clam night and orange sherbet from HoJos and Burger Chef was still around.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tell this to anybody born in the 90s and you get this look like you grew a second head. Similar to.the look you get when you tell them 80s dennys was the pinnacle of chain breakfast.

I loved Pizza Hut as a kid. Those were great nights.
View Quote
Late 70s the Spenard Hut had all you could eat buffet and a fucking great cook. $5 and a half dozen quarters for the video games eating hand tossed to order buffet lol.

However the true heyday of Pizza Hut was the later 80s when they launched the personal pan pizzas, I ate hundreds of those fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
We still have a sit down pizza hut in my town.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They have taken so much from us.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Miss the old sit down Pizza hut in my city, it closed years ago. Still see a few open in west Texas along I10. I stop in if I get the chance sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I still remember making my custom pan pizza after getting all the stars on my Book-It badge.   Putting the cheese and toppings on and placing it on the moving conveyor oven thing and watching it come out the other side fully cooked.

This is a good video on the downfall of Pizza Hut

The Decline of Pizza Hut...What Happened?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The pan pizza changed everything!  
View Quote

When Pan Pizza was awesome.  Crunchy crust, with just the right amount of grease.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone pining for the old Pizza Hut days and lives around northeast Ohio, google “Pizza Hut classic Warren”. They really did a good job, just looking at the pictures is trip down memory lane. Haven’t been since Covid, not sure what it’s like now but it had the salad bar too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Used to get a certificate for a free personal pan pizza for reading four books a month. God that was great when I was like 9. Still love reading and pizza, so I guess the scheme worked lol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I miss the small salad bar and big shakers of Parmesan cheese and crushed red peppers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome memory OP!

if anyone is over in Jacksonville FL area and wants some damn good pizza plus dine in a time capsule of sorts, stop at Godfathers.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pizza Hut sit down restaurants were a good time. I don’t even know if any still exist.
View Quote

There is one in Picayune, Mississippi

Pizza Hut sit down was great 40 years ago
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree it was the nasty-ass stuffed crust that signaled the downfall.  The move away from hand-made dough.
My older brother worked at one for quite a while.  It is still open as a sit-down, but 4 out of 5 times going by there, nobody is dining inside.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]
The pinnacle was the priazzo pizzas. The Milano priazzo to be specific. But this was close. Thanks, op.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#17]
first place i went after i got back from deployment--- alwalys likeed their fresh out of oven food.
pepperoni lovers, with sausage and extra cheese.  nom

also was the first place that i went to after coloscopy (no food for 2+ days)   Dr. said "dont go eat any greasy foods right after"
whoops

i remember going to as a kid- ithad a back room for the birthday parties and such

Now torn down

still one in the town that i work in.  but the Vid closed the dining area (still rocking the pizza hut stained glass lights)..now, take out only.  not as good.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can still picture those dark red plastic cups they used to serve drinks in.
View Quote

Yep, we still have one in town but it’s not the same as it was.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#20]
No Shakey’s, no care.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shakey's for the win.

Fargo ND

FPH
View Quote

Bunch a lunch if I remember correctly?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#22]
That takes me back. Book-It, lots of free pan pizzas. Those things were awesome. Great lunch buffets too.  

Last time I was at a Pizza Hut was maybe ten years ago or so. I think I threw most of it away, it was terrible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Bring back the Priazzo
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#24]
ate at shakeys pizza when i was real young. by my teenage years, my dad got remarried and we started going to pizza hut.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Read books get pizza

Was a better America 40 years ago
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Awesome memory OP!

if anyone is over in Jacksonville FL area and wants some damn good pizza plus dine in a time capsule of sorts, stop at Godfathers.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148098/C6657C5F-5C8B-4A00-BA77-CF9D763B6A07-2228915.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148098/36D66042-B64F-459D-AC93-432157195778-2228917.jpg
View Quote

wow i had forgotten about them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pizza Hut sit down restaurants were a good time. I don’t even know if any still exist.
View Quote

Those were awesome. As were the sit down KFC with buffet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I drive by one every day.  

Pre-covid I'd get their lunch buffet a every couple of months.  I'd bring at least one major newspaper (WSJ, NYT) and take an hour or more.  

Obviously, you don't want to drink a gallon of diet pepsi and eat mountains of breadsticks and pizza on a regular basis.

Covid killed off the lunch buffet as far as I know. I might investigate later this week.

View Quote

Don't know where in OH you are, but the lunch buffet in the Hartville pizza hut is still in operation.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#29]
My dilema was between Meat Lovers or Cheeseburger pizza, hadn't discovered "get both" yet
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Pizza Hut was ok. Just ok. We were always blessed with a couple really good local places (and, im talking the west side of Indianapolis, not Chicago) for pizza.

For some reason, my son loved it so we’d have to get a stuffed crust when he was home from college.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Not sure how they stay open. I've had them 3 times in the last 8 years, out of the 87 times I've ordered pizza.

Think they messed up when they started charging $87 a pizza back in the 90s
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I still wish Taco Bell was still good and had flavor instead of tasting like sludge after the mid-80s; McD's had decent, hot burgers, tallow-fried fries and hot fried cherry pies, along with working soft serve machines; Clam night and orange sherbet from HoJos and Burger Chef was still around.
View Quote

We could be friends.

I miss my Big Chef and HoJo’s vanilla shake.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#33]
We have four Pizza Huts in town that still have dine-in seating.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Everyone wants cheap pizza. Everyone wants fresh made dough, sauce and cheese with no sawdust. Everyone wants pizzas made with love and quality control. You can't have all three and two is a rarity.
If your pizza place doesn't have an 800 pound Hobart mixer, your pizza place sucks
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Move out of Florida. Sell your place at a huge gain to northerners moving down and move to a rural southern town. Sit down Pizza huts that are packed on Friday nights still exist.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Priazzo!

Pizza Hut's Priazzo Roma Pie Commercial

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was talking to a friend that worked at Pizza Hut in the 80's and had no idea they used to hand make the dough from scratch in the morning.

It was only until later it started coming pre-made in bags.

Like a part of me wonders how much I think food tasted better because of childhood nostalgia, but really do think it was tastier.

Similar to McDonald's French Fries. They always tasted better as a child and it was only later I found out they used a different type of fat.

View Quote
I worked af the Hut in the mid 80s during college. Yup everything was made in house.

They were actually pretty exspensive for the time.

Pepsico switched everything to pre processed garbage to get the price way down, spun up a ton of debt by buying small chains in order to expand the menu then set them off into their own Company (Yum) with a huge load of debt.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I grew up in Temple, TX, in the ‘60s and 70s.

The Pizza Hut was THE place to go and be seen. It was bigger than Pizza Inn and the others even if the pizza was better.

But we liked it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#39]
It was a ton of fun.  My parents would always take us to a local pizzeria if we were going out.  Book It was the only thing that got us in the door at Pizza Hut and I'd look forward to it every time because I never got to go otherwise.  There aren't any dine-ins left around me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I played Pong for the first time as a kid in Pizza hut.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had a buffet in one in KY while traveling two weeks ago.  

Didn’t have the Galaga video game

But it did bring back memories.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#42]
It was a tradition for me and my dad to eat at the Pizza Hut in Washington, GA the night before opening day of deer season. The only time this tradition was stopped was my service time.

Eventually, I started bringing my daughters hunting and they were a part of the tradition. Dad died in 04 but we continued it on until the hunting property was sold off in 2016.

Great great memories! And some sadness as well. A tradition that lasted more than forty years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#43]
had one of their "melts" things yesterday.   just garbage
was like a quesadilla but with pizza stuff in it.
seemed pre-made.  not good
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Large Pepsi .75 cents
Draft beer .75 cents
I don't think inflation affected these equally.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#45]
It was awesome to go.  Sit and play Asteroids at the table top video game.  Put a song or two on the juke box.  Then receive awesome pizza.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Large Pepsi .75 cents
Draft beer .75 cents
I don't think inflation affected these equally.
View Quote

Must have made all their profit on the $30 inflation adjusted pizza
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I was born a little later so for me it was around the land before time toys. I remember he'd take me there after winning a baseball game. I have such strong core memories of that place and how great it was then.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I love these nostalgia threads. It's like group therapy for those of us lucky enough to have lived back then
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Pizza Hut was good back in the day.  Their pan pizza really good.  It’s a shame corporations ruin everything.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The pan pizza changed everything!  
View Quote

Pan Pizza was the beginning of the end.  I miss seeing the cooks at Pizza Hut actually hand toss the dough.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top