Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2020 7:51:51 AM EDT
I know some planes have their nozzle next near the nose/cockpit, it appears the pilot maneuvers the plane into the funnel.

But with F16s, the fuel connection is behind the cockpit.  Do the tankers control that fuel line with the ailerons once the f16 is stable near it?  Or are adjustments in movement communicated to the pilot?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
There's two main systems.

Flying boom and probe.

The probe system is all on the pilot of the refueling plane to get their probe into the drogue, or basket, and keeping it there until they've got the gas they want.

With the boom, the receiving plane flies formation with the tanker and the boom operator "flies" the boom down into the receiver's receptacle.  There are position lights on the belly of the tanker that show the receiver where they need to be.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m not a boom operator, but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express...

Two types:

Probe and drogue - flexible hose (think fire hose) with a basket on the end from the tanker. The receiver (aircraft getting gas) has a ‘probe’ (looks like a big dildo) attached to their aircraft.  The receiver maneuvers their aircraft to plug their probe into the drogue basket to get gas.  The tanker just keeps his plane steady and the receiver does all the work.

Boom and receptacle - tanker has a long boom that can be moved in three axis.  The receiver flys into position behind the tanker using position lights on the belly of the tanker and/or verbal direction of the boom operator.  The boomer will move the boom to plug it into a fixed receptacle on the receiver.  The boom can move the receiver some with a smaller aircraft, but it’s up to the receiver pilot to stay in position behind the tanker.

Vastly simplified versions... I’ve been on the receiving end of both kinds.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI.

The flying boom method offers higher fuel transfer rates, which is why it was adopted for USAF bombers in the 1950s.  It was subsequently incorporated into smaller USAF aircraft they were developed.  This method is also safer because the tanker has positive control over the boom.

The probe and drogue method is popular because it’s easier to outfit virtually any aircraft as a tanker and to add the probe to existing receiver aircraft.  The flexible hose can be a hazard to receiving aircraft if the drogue is damaged or turbulence is encountered.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Because "A Picture is worth a Thousand Words"...

We have TWO different Systems.

NAVY, MARINES, COAST GUARD, ARMY HELICOPTERS, AIR FORCE HELICOPTERS  & the REST OF NATO - use the Probe & Drogue system.  a Basket (Drogue) looking like a Badminton shuttlecock at the end of hose.   Planes - Helicopters have a probe that extends outward that they fly into the basket.

AIRFORCE uses the "Flying Boom" where the plane has special receiving connection (usually covered by opening & closing doors) that mates to a Boom - large diameter pipe with elevons upon it that allow the boom operator at the back of the tanker to "fly" the boom into the receiving hole of the plane to lock up and transfer fuel.   Used by Big Air Force as their preferred system because it can quickly transfer larger quantities of fuel than the Drogue system for thirsty Bombers, Transports or other large aircraft.

Some Tankers can support BOTH types (KC-10).   Most Tankers are Either / Or

SLATE - How Does Aerial Refueling Work?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting aside: When I was young and pretty I poked the probe of an F-4 through the ribs of a C-130's drogue. When I tried to back out, the probe stayed stuck, and the whole hose ripped off the C-130. I flew to Iwakuni, Japan, with it beating the crap out of the wing and fuselage the whole way. I still remember the plane captain's face as I dragged it down the flight line.

Your tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]
What other countries but the US use the boom? Any?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a boom operator, but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express...

Two types:

Probe and drogue - flexible hose (think fire hose) with a basket on the end from the tanker. The receiver (aircraft getting gas) has a 'probe' (looks like a big dildo) attached to their aircraft.  The receiver maneuvers their aircraft to plug their probe into the drogue basket to get gas.  The tanker just keeps his plane steady and the receiver does all the work.

Boom and receptacle - tanker has a long boom that can be moved in three axis.  The receiver flys into position behind the tanker using position lights on the belly of the tanker and/or verbal direction of the boom operator.  The boomer will move the boom to plug it into a fixed receptacle on the receiver.  The boom can move the receiver some with a smaller aircraft, but it's up to the receiver pilot to stay in position behind the tanker.

Vastly simplified versions... I've been on the receiving end of both kinds.

View Quote
@TarzanT As a receiver, which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting aside: When I was young and pretty I poked the probe of an F-4 through the ribs of a C-130's drogue. When I tried to back out, the probe stayed stuck, and the whole hose ripped off the C-130. I flew to Iwakuni, Japan, with it beating the crap out of the wing and fuselage the whole way. I still remember the plane captain's face as I dragged it down the flight line.

View Quote

Did you get to keep your trophy?

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
A show on Nat Geo (I think) discussed this and had a story of a KC130 doing a mid-air refueling over the Atlantic for a group of F4s being shipped to Europe.

One of the F4s began to visibly leak fuel. The KC130 hooked up and continuously pumped to the F4 as it was losing fuel, while also "towing" the fighter all the way to an air base in England.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ripped a probe off over Baghdad once. There are those who have and those that will. Basket slaps in Hornets are especially nasty as they tend to hit your AOA probes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everybody that owns an F-16 can only use a boom.  While not everyone owns their own tankers they will work with the US to train their pilots.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I ripped a probe off over Baghdad once. There are those who have and those that will. Basket slaps in Hornets are especially nasty as they tend to hit your AOA probes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The French lost to Rafale probes when I was in CENTCOM one time.  They came to pick up the first one but never picked up the second one.  It was appropriately discarded.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A show on Nat Geo (I think) discussed this and had a story of a KC130 doing a mid-air refueling over the Atlantic for a group of F4s being shipped to Europe.

One of the F4s began to visibly leak fuel. The KC130 hooked up and continuously pumped to the F4 as it was losing fuel, while also "towing" the fighter all the way to an air base in England.
View Quote

That was a KC-135.  The probe systems can't "tow" a receiver as the basket is held in by pressure alone, the nozzle in the flying boom system is held in place with locking paws in the slipway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The French lost to Rafale probes when I was in CENTCOM one time.  They came to pick up the first one but never picked up the second one.  It was appropriately discarded.  
View Quote

If I ever ripped a basket off then my plan was to keep it and make a coffee table out of it. I’m not sure I would be allowed to do that but I would have tried. It’s easy to tell the AF that it fell off in the ocean
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, the basket and probe is Navy, the pilot guides his probe into the hole.

In the Air Force, the pilot has the hole and he gets a probe inserted into it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because "A Picture is worth a Thousand Words"...

We have TWO different Systems.

NAVY, MARINES, COAST GUARD, ARMY HELICOPTERS, AIR FORCE HELICOPTERS  & the REST OF NATO - use the Probe & Drogue system.  a Basket (Drogue) looking like a Badminton shuttlecock at the end of hose.   Planes - Helicopters have a probe that extends outward that they fly into the basket.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/yWY9e.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Carol_Martinez10/publication/257343904/figure/fig1/AS:538748366868480@1505459028113/Probe-drogue-refuelling-courtesy-of-Cobham-Mission-Equipment.png

AIRFORCE uses the "Flying Boom" where the plane has special receiving connection (usually covered by opening & closing doors) that mates to a Boom - large diameter pipe with elevons upon it that allow the boom operator at the back of the tanker to "fly" the boom into the receiving hole of the plane to lock up and transfer fuel.   Used by Big Air Force as their preferred system because it can quickly transfer larger quantities of fuel than the Drogue system for thirsty Bombers, Transports or other large aircraft.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT0O7BhHJmMbOmlon5JGIcvS5GQdb1rjEDB1g&usqp=CAU

https://static.politico.com/73/ce/e148fd024e0f8874ee909ae8263f/170501-air-force-one-df-st-89-02053.jpg

https://cdn.dvidshub.net/media/thumbs/photos/1804/4300957/2000x1335_q95.jpg

Some Tankers can support BOTH types (KC-10).   Most Tankers are Either / Or

SLATE - How Does Aerial Refueling Work?
View Quote

The world isn't quite so cut and dry as your sentence with the all caps words makes it seem.  

The US Navy has about one-hundred P-8s and a handful of E-6Bs that are flying boom refueled.

Internationally, the RAF Airseeker (RC-135), most E-3s, and every country that has F-15s or F-16s use flying boom refueling.

And yes, some tankers can do both (KC-10, KC-46, MRTT if they have the boom option, some KC-707s, I think the Iranian KC-33, and KC-135s with the MPRS mod).
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If I ever ripped a basket off then my plan was to keep it and make a coffee table out of it. I’m not sure I would be allowed to do that but I would have tried. It’s easy to tell the AF that it fell off in the ocean
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have loved to go to the boat to pick it up, but I'm sure they'd just write it off.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, the basket and probe is Navy, the pilot guides his probe into the hole.

In the Air Force, the pilot has the hole and he gets a probe inserted into it.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

And they mounted it above the bar in the O Club?

Glad you had a safe recovery!

TC
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Isn't there like an adapter that can go on the end of a boom to refuel drogue aircraft? Thereby making the Air Force system superior in every way?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#22]
All very informative replies.

But did anyone actually read the question in the OP about the receptacle being behind the pilot or in front of the pilot?

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But did anyone actually read the question in the OP about the receptacle being behind the pilot or in front of the pilot?

View Quote

The boom operator controls the boom.

The receptacle goes where it goes.
Air Force 1 and the A10 have it in front of the cockpit, most have it behind.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Isn't there like an adapter that can go on the end of a boom to refuel drogue aircraft? Thereby making the Air Force system superior in every way?
View Quote

On the KC-135 we remove the nozzle and replace it with a boom drogue adaptor.  It's about a two to four hour job on the ground (depending on the crew) to swap them out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

They are kind of all over.  The F-15 has it on the left side of the fuselage so they have to line up off center.  As you mentioned a handful of jets have it on the nose, a bit of a problem if there's not a good seal.  Some jets, like the B-2 for example, have the slipway rather far back on the spine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#26]
The boom latches to the receptacle with hydraulic toggles.

There are pilot director lights on the belly of the tanker to direct the receiver in the envelope.

In the event a disconnect is needed- usually when the receiver approached the edge of the envelope, disconnect is generally initiated by the receiver aircraft. There is a pneumatic operated independent system installed on the superior tanker (KC-10)
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

On the KC-135 we remove the nozzle and replace it with a boom drogue adaptor.  It's about a two to four hour job on the ground (depending on the crew) to swap them out.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/unnamed_jpg-1656165.JPG
View Quote

Ah, good ole Iron Maiden. Easy to get in, bitch to stay in
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/unnamed_jpg-1656165.JPG

I spent last week working with an old F-14 driver who said he preferred it to the KC-135 with the wingtip pods.  Neither were as nice as a KC-10's centerline though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I spent last week working with an old F-14 driver who said he preferred it to the KC-135 with the wingtip pods.  Neither were as nice as a KC-10's centerline though.
View Quote

I’d agree. Wingtip pods suck. Nightmare to get in if there is any rough air. Plus anytime the tanker turns you are at the end of that turn and it’s tough. My favorite tankers have been Brits and Germans. So smooth.

KC10 is our universal favorite though. As a matter of fact, whenever we get the ATO most of us check type of tanker even before the mission
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@TarzanT As a receiver, which do you prefer and why?
View Quote

Apples and bananas.  

Boom refueling was basic dissimilar formation. This was in B-52’s (not the most responsive aircraft in the world) and you could ‘push’ the tanker around if not careful. Disconnects were easier, reduce thrust and trim nose down.  Breakaways were the same just more aggressive and the tanker could climb away from you.

Probe and drogue was more difficult - especially with a ‘dancing’ drogue.  This was compounded by being in a helicopter and refueling at night with NVG’s. The tip of the probe was also not located at the same rotational point of the aircraft.  Rotating around the center of the rotors is easy. Rotating around the nose or tail is learned. Controlling the tip of the probe is more difficult since it’s located between the cockpit and rotor tip. Disconnects required you to slide back while maintaining vertical position high on the hose until the drogue disconnected and out from under the rotor.  The tanker couldn’t climb in a breakaway until the receiver was well clear and off the wing.  They couldn’t descend either since we normally refueled well under 500‘.

Just my opinion though.  Some guys hated being on the boom and loved chasing the basket.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd have loved to go to the boat to pick it up, but I'm sure they'd just write it off.  
View Quote

Call sign ‘Drogue Slayer’ for the next few flights?

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Pucker Factor of ... ?

E-8 AWACS Air Refueling gone wrong
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pucker Factor of ... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLiAAVeYhk
View Quote

Oh myyy...  

What caused that?  Someone screw up or turbulence?  Something else?

-K
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pucker Factor of ... ?

View Quote

At first I was like. "Okay... Little fiddly."

Then. "Oh crap."

Then. "Oh Jesus H Christ we all gonna die!!!"
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh myyy...  

-K
View Quote

I can't see the video at the moment, but I'm just guessing it's the AWACS that almost hits the tanker.  If that's the one then it was a NATO training bird and a pilot induced oscillation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pucker Factor of ... ?

View Quote
I've seen this multiple times and it still gives me anxiety watching it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot do. The A330 MRRT has both systems IIRC
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I heard, female boom operators like to flash their tits at refueling fighters.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the boom is an option with them as the RAF didn't originally have them when they got their Airseekers and it was a bit of a row.

But off the top of my head:
Israel, Iran, Turkey, France, UK, Japan, Singapore, Australia, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Italy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least if you're flying something really cool like an F117.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would be a lot easier on a Gucci.  The boom pod in a 135 would be challenging.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can't see the video at the moment, but I'm just guessing it's the AWACS that almost hits the tanker.  If that's the one then it was a NATO training bird and a pilot induced oscillation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh myyy...  

-K

Yup, that's the one.  

Was it really as close as it appears in the video?  Was that much of an oscillation a major 'screw up'?  Or is that a relatively easy thing to do and maybe just caused by inexperience?  

-K
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yup, that's the one.  

Was it really as close as it appears in the video?  Was that much of an oscillation a major 'screw up'?  Or is that a relatively easy thing to do and maybe just caused by inexperience?  

-K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh myyy...  

-K

Yup, that's the one.  

-K

Yes.  Yes, as I understand there were a few injuries on the AWACS from having the bottom drop out on them.  Probably inexperience.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pucker Factor of ... ?

View Quote

Holy shot that was intense. Fuck that
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

What was your new call sign
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes.  Yes, as I understand there were a few injuries on the AWACS from having the bottom drop out on them.  Probably inexperience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh myyy...  

-K

Yup, that's the one.  

-K

Wow.  Yeah, I can see how that would have been an issue!  Thank you for the replies!  

-K
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#48]
As often as US Forces Mid Air Refuel and make it look "easy" & "routine", it is still very sobering to realize just HOW dangerous it is to have two aircraft flying so close to each other with highly flammable jet fuel 'bridging' the small gap.

The Palomares Spain B-52 "Nuclear Incident" in 1966 comes to mind...   a Fully Combat loaded B-52 on Airborne Nuclear Alert collided over Spain with it's KC-135 tanker while mid air refueling.  It resulted in destruction of both aircraft and a "Broken Arrow" with 4 live B-28 Hydrogen bombs going down with the B-52.  Three of the bombs fell over the Spainish countryside and were recovered, but two of the bombs had their explosives go off which scattered highly radioactive Plutonium over the countryside.

One bomb's parachute had opened on the descent, and that bomb drifted into the ocean, and was finally recovered after an extensive & expensive deep sea search & retrieval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Aviation threads need pictures.

Here's a picture of yours truly circa 2003 behind a KC-10.  The picture was taken by one of our squadron's pilots from the boom operator's station.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The boom latches to the receptacle with hydraulic toggles.

There are pilot director lights on the belly of the tanker to direct the receiver in the envelope.

In the event a disconnect is needed- usually when the receiver approached the edge of the envelope, disconnect is generally initiated by the receiver aircraft. There is a pneumatic operated independent system installed on the superior tanker (KC-10)
View Quote

The receiver aircraft has the toggles that latch onto nozzle.
If the receiver goes outside parameters the tanker automaticaly initiates disconnect.
Boomer can uses director lights to guide pilot into position but once connected it will be automatic .

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top