Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/9/2018 12:55:38 PM EDT
https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2018/06/07/millennials-preparing-for-retirement-000670

In terms of preparing for retirement, millennials have three strikes against them. First, because of limited access to retirement plans at work, millennials will struggle to build retirement savings, since experience shows that people have a great deal of trouble saving on their own. Second, they are less likely to have bought a home, and home equity is a valuable retirement asset. And third, they are more likely to be burdened by student loans, and young workers with student loans have less to stash in retirement plans and are more likely to end up at risk in retirement.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Good
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
System working as designed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm half-lucky. Not doing well enough yet to be thinking realistically about buying property, but I at least have a Roth IRA that I've been trickling into for the past few years, slightly higher amounts in the last year or two since I can sort-of-afford it, and my employer has an okay fund-matching setup (not outstanding, but okay) for in-house 401k. And I don't have any student loan debt hanging over my head.

So there's that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, since most of the snot-nosed little panty-wastes didn’t start working til they were 30, fuck ‘em.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It is more than a little ironic that the equality/trophy for all generation will end up having one of the more pronounced class hierarchies in adulthood.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It really is going to be a shit show.

When I talk to people at work about retirement, I’m always amazed at how little they have invested.

One dude in his early 40s who has 4 kids told me that he has less than 10k total retirement savings and I just talked to a gal in her mid 30s who didn’t have ANY retirement savings.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When I talk to people at work about retirement, I’m always amazed at how little they have invested.

One dude in his early 40s who has 4 kids told me that he has less than 10k total retirement savings and I just talked to a gal in her mid 30s who didn’t have ANY retirement savings.
View Quote
Ffffuuuuuck. I'm not doing very well, savings-wise, but I'm doing a bit better than that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Im almost 30 and have 0 retirement savings. I've never worked for an employer with a 401k plan or anything so I never started.

[Forrest Gump]I'm not a smart man[/Forrest Gump]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same where i work.

Out of all the people i work with,a good guess is less than 10 even contribute to our 401K plan.And out of those only a few are doing more than 10%

One guy i asked said he doesnt need that 401K crap,he is good.

30 years old and still living with his dad is good i guess

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, since most of the snot-nosed little panty-wastes didn’t start working til they were 30, fuck ‘em.
View Quote

You got data to back that up?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No one goes to work for the railroads, power utilities, city utilities, military, state/federal government anymore?

That's where I would be looking if I was them, can still find some decent pay/benefits/pensions in those places.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ffffuuuuuck. I'm not doing very well, savings-wise, but I'm doing a bit better than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol that’s EXACTLY what I think to myself every time.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I foresee more homeless and more suicides and more robberies and on the rise in the future. I mean everyone gets tired of working at some point. Or maybe people will Break Bad and start cooking up meth and selling it for their retirement plan, haha
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I have a house. But I also have a lot of debt and haven't been able to contribute to any sort of retirement savings because I haven't been able to have a job for the last 8 years. On the other hand, I'm an M.D. at 25. So there's that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
System working as designed.
View Quote
First post is slipping.  Second post nails it.  The elites are trying to recreate the world in the image of the antebellum plantation.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
End of the baby boomers, I plan to work until 70
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
First post is retarded.

ETA:Along with most of the others.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Not too surprising with the Greediest Generation setting up pension plans for themselves and their lazy Boomer kids.  Gov employees work to about 50 these days?  I'm a genX and figured I'd be getting screwed on SS since my dad taught me about it as a kid so it won't come as a surprise.  My kids (GenZ?) will most likely have a more difficult life than I.....unless they are trans or some other yet to be discovered privileged class.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that people have to work longer than the previous couple generations - those bums just rigged a system so they wouldn't have to work long enough.  Middle class shouldn't be surprised to work within 5 years of death unless they have earned enough of their own $ to retire sooner.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#20]
That's cool...well just get our inheritance and homes passed down from mommy and daddy
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
The globo-Marxist agenda is advancing.

1st-world countries are being encumbered, competing countries are catching up.  The younger the westerner, the less advantage he will have.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not too surprising with the Greediest Generation setting up pension plans for themselves and their lazy Boomer kids.  Gov employees work to about 50 these days?  I'm a genX and figured I'd be getting screwed on SS since my dad taught me about it as a kid so it won't come as a surprise.  My kids (GenZ?) will most likely have a more difficult life than I.....unless they are trans or some other yet to be discovered privileged class.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that people have to work longer than the previous couple generations - those bums just rigged a system so they wouldn't have to work long enough.  Middle class shouldn't be surprised to work within 5 years of death unless they have earned enough of their own $ to retire sooner.
View Quote
When pensions and Social Security were set up, they were right at the average life expectancy.  They were never meant to be 20+ years of not working and drawing a check.  But those two generations certainly sucked the post-WWII surplus dry.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's cool...well just get our inheritance and homes passed down from mommy and daddy
View Quote
Lol. You DO realize that your folks medical bills could do away with that home and inheritance very quickly!
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe the dumb ones that fell hook line and sinker for the used car salesman tactics of having to inherit an astronomical debt to go to college right after highschool, that didn't work in skilled trades throughout highschool and waited a couple years before diving into a career and college...

Especially true for the ones who knocked up/got knocked up on a pull out couch and pissed their 20s away partying and not sacrificing a social life for stacking cash... or playing house living at home with mommy and daddy because the rent is too damn high in their dream city...

I'm fine. I'll be able to retire at 40 and live comfortably if I want.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Those are the benefits of living longer, oh well.

<---------- retiring at 45 does not care
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank god I'm Generation X and my son is Generation Z, dodged the millennial curse
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When I talk to people at work about retirement, I'm always amazed at how little they have invested.

One dude in his early 40s who has 4 kids told me that he has less than 10k total retirement savings and I just talked to a gal in her mid 30s who didn't have ANY retirement savings.
View Quote
LOL he is fucked unless he has a large inheritance.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Boomers would do anything to be a young again, its where the bitterness comes from. Notice how all the animosity is directed at the young men, but they would think about it for months if a millenial woman noticed them. Hopefuly SHTF or something happens so I never become that sad
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Im almost 30 and have 0 retirement savings. I've never worked for an employer with a 401k plan or anything so I never started.

[Forrest Gump]I'm not a smart man[/Forrest Gump]
View Quote
You still have time to recover and why have you not opened a ROTH?????

Do you have immediate plans to change this or are you gonna continue to coast through life and be fucked when you get old?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
Wow so edgy.

This fucking place. I need a break from you people.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
With the cost of health care and elderly care I wouldn't bet on it no matter the parents net worth.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Lol. You DO realize that your folks medical bills could do away with that home and inheritance very quickly!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That might depend on whether the home is willed or signed over before death or nursing home, and how many years before. That's something to talk to a lawyer about.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I love how this mood on this website from 2008-2013 was that the fucking world was going to end tomorrow (economically speaking) and everyone was fucked, but now the expectation is that those that entered adulthood somewhere around this time period are supposed to now be independently wealthy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When I talk to people at work about retirement, I'm always amazed at how little they have invested.

One dude in his early 40s who has 4 kids told me that he has less than 10k total retirement savings and I just talked to a gal in her mid 30s who didn't have ANY retirement savings.
View Quote
I also think some people are waiting too long to have kids these days. My son was born when I was 19 and he is 21 now, I'm 40. He's about to graduate school debt free using my GI Bill. It wasn't planned but I wouldn't do it any other way looking back. Got a vasectomy when I was 33 because I didn't want to be supporting kids into my 50s, that's when I want to be relaxing and doing whatever I want.

I've got my military reserve retirement (4500 points ) which will start at age 56, I should hit 30 years of Federal civilian service at age 57 and start that pension, TSP and Roth are looking good, house will be paid off by the end of this year, no other debt. I'm making more than I ever have and spending less than I ever have, that's the way to do it.

Good to be a Gen X'er
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That might depend on whether the home is willed or signed over before death or nursing home, and how many years before. That's something to talk to a lawyer about.
View Quote
That happened to a good friend of mine, his grandfather worked for GE was some big shot at GE.
Gramps got the oldtimers, fell and broke his hip wound up in a long term care facility and when he croaked...
His father aunt and uncle thought they'd make out like bandits. LOL

NOPE
Granny can't sell the house.

Gramps 70 Cadillac Deville with 42k miles rust free? Sold. Had to cover expenses that his pension and social security couldnt cover.
Boat? Gone.
Any asset of significant value. Gone. Had to satisfy his expenses incurred.

The house. When grandma clocks out goes to GE as part of the deal grandpa signed YEARS ago.
Even though it's paid for free and clear. Guess it's in the event he passes away she can still live in the house and the taxes be paid maintenance be performed etc etc and she has a place to live and food to eat electric and heat.

She wanted to sell the house which would get probably 400-500k in that area, and move into a mobile home park or an apartment.

Nope. Cant. Anything happens to her health wise? She's covered. Will she have spending loot? Nope. Has a portion of his social security to live on.
She never worked a day in her life either. She was the stay at home mother of the 50s 60s 70s where the man worked women stayed home and played bridge and spent money and raised kids, and had dinner ready at 7pm on the dot. Or it was hell to pay.
Grandpa screwed my buddies father aunt and uncle. Bigly.

What becomes of what's left of grandmas money? She will leave it to be split 4 ways.
Boomer relatives are not happy.

GE will make out like bandits. So will the long term care facility.
Dude caught the alzheimers and thought it was 1968 not 2008 and fell down the stairs thinking an old woman broke into the house after seeing a new Mercedes in the driveway and not his Chrysler Imperial...
That's a disorder I wouldn't wish on anyone but maybe the Clintons.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2018/06/07/millennials-preparing-for-retirement-000670

In terms of preparing for retirement, millennials have three strikes against them. First, because of limited access to retirement plans at work, millennials will struggle to build retirement savings, since experience shows that people have a great deal of trouble saving on their own. Second, they are less likely to have bought a home, and home equity is a valuable retirement asset. And third, they are more likely to be burdened by student loans, and young workers with student loans have less to stash in retirement plans and are more likely to end up at risk in retirement.
View Quote
View Quote
Tough shit; that's nothing but a list of lame excuses.

The investment environment for equities and real estate has been extraordinary in recent years, so those who didn't bother to take advantage of some great opportunities to accumulate wealth for themselves are shit out of luck.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love how this mood on this website from 2008-2013 was that the fucking world was going to end tomorrow (economically speaking) and everyone was fucked, but now the expectation is that those that entered adulthood somewhere around this time period are supposed to now be independently wealthy.
View Quote
Dow 2009: 6443

Dow today: 25,500.

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#39]
All I see and hear are fucking excuses.  These idiots really bought into work smarter not harder. That works to a degree but it still takes hard work.

Had 2 paper routes at the age of 12, got up at 4 in the morning and started wrapping papers in rubber bands next to the wall heater.  Homeless for 6 years and made money all kinds of ways, the best being walking a greenbelt and collecting the golfballs golfers hooked into.

In the late 80's early 90's I would make about 60-100 bucks a weekend just selling golfballs.  Started working construction at 15 under the table and was making 300 a weekend at 15.  Fucking kids are soft , sissy bitches
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
What sucks is the economy is going to take a shit again.  It always does.  Without some type of savings cushion, I fear people will fare even worse than 2008.  Especially the younger folks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe they’ll wise up and take an axe to social security...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, with unemployment at 10% in 2009 (which was called out as fake news around here) and very little work experience, recent graduates were snapping up all of those high paying jobs and just stuffing their 401(k) accounts to the IRS maximum every year - they should all have mid six figure balances by now.

I made out relatively OK during that shit period (thank the good Lord) but I also acknowledge that many people simply did not.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not tomorrow but before most millennials reach retirement.  Austerity is coming.  Medicare’s Trust Fund Is Set to Run Out in 8 Years. Social Security, 16.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#44]
MY body's ready
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah, with unemployment at 10% in 2009 (which was called out as fake news around here) and very little work experience, recent graduates were snapping up all of those high paying jobs and just stuffing their 401(k) accounts to the IRS maximum every year - they should all have mid six figure balances by now.

I made out relatively OK during that shit period (thank the good Lord) but I also acknowledge that many people simply did not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unemployment these days is also fake news.  Most jobs are service (waiter, coffee barista, etc.) and the number participating in the labor force has dropped.  It's easy to make unemployment numbers look rosy when a substantial number of folks just stop caring about working because welfare pays so well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wow so edgy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good
Wow so edgy.

Yeah, I'm getting on this site less and less.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#47]
"Some will win

Some will lose.....

Some were born to sing the blues....."

And some will seek out and  take advantage of ever present opportunity, bust their asses;  and sacrifice to become successful.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#48]
No sense in trying to blame your situation on the Boomers, either. We didn't have anything to do with setting up the systems we now depend on in retirement (SS and Medicare) - they were established before we were born or when we were kids. We are also not responsible for the bind that they are in now. The main problem with both systems is 'mission creep', where the original intent gets stretched to get more people under the umbrella than it was designed for. This works great to get politicians reelected but unfortunately means the systems go broke. As far as Medicare, I believe it will be given the ultimate expansion and become the 'National Health Care' that everybody wants. Some younger people also have the idea that Medicare is free - that is not the case. Part A is but that is what used to be called 'Major Medical', or 'hospitalization' for major illness or injury. Part B is your regular medical and costs $125/mo. Then, you really need a supplemental policy which at the group rate is know about $200/mo. Then, there's Part D which is your prescription drug plan, costs vary but around $45/mo. Finally you need dental insurance which is about $100/mo. So you can see that a typical Medicare couple may pay around $1000/mo. This is definitely not 'free' so it should not be termed an 'entitlement'. Same thing with SS - most people on it paid into it for 40 years or more and a substantial number either don't live to start taking it or don't live long after retirement. Obviously a few do live for 20 years after retirement. I know the SSA recently upped the maximum salary subject to deductions for SS but its still artificially low considering the salaries of today. It should be bumped to at least $250,000 which would provide a shot of income. The SSA should also be audited because there is vast fraud associated with it now, just like the IRS and all other government agencies. There are millions living off it right now who have no business getting it. While it is recognized that cutting off SS to those who are not qualified to get it would definitely start a nasty war, it would certainly end the funding emergency.:)
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
Why is this Good?  Do you not see how this can create a situation where a large portion of a generation looks to the government for Reliance?  Or is this just the equivalent of "old man yells at cloud"?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fucking kids are soft , sissy bitches
View Quote
And who's making them that way?

See the thread about some dude letting their 10 year old kid see Saving Private Ryan?
The butt hurt and outrage in that thread was as if someone invited all the daffy broads over to get boxed wine drunk and cunt.
Holy Christ the ass hurt in that thread would give you cancer!
Act like they made junior shoot a pig in the gut to listen to it scream and make junior to go put a finishing blow with a 12 gauge to porky's head.

Starts at home, and extended into schools. Now what do I see? A good portion of my generation living at home with mom and dad until their 30s.
0 equity. 0 assets paid for. Loans out the ass. Worse if they have crotch fruit combined with college loan debt.
No wonder a significant majority of my generation are Bernie bros.

Look at the generation behind mine... no sense of purpose no character, eating tide pods and shooting up schools...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top