Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Standard airgun pellet... the pointy kind.

Would depend on the airgun.
A good airgun is 15-20 ft-lbs of energy per shot.
Some of the expensive SCUBA-charged air rifles are 40+ foot-lbs per shot, but many of the plastic wal-mart things are not even 5 ft-lbs.

22LR = ~120 ft-lbs. Shorts are 65, CB's are 35 or so...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a video on youtube of a guy shooting a motorcycle tire at contact distance with a .475 Linebaugh revolver. We're talking one of the most powerful hanguns on earth. Probably a 420 grain LFN at 1500 FPS. They shoot it, see the impact, go to look and there is no bullet hole to be seen- it ricocheted off into parts unknown.
Physics are weird. Short of a ridiculously large caliber, I wouldn't trust anything to work 100% of the time.
Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWSbpPeTZww

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

There is a video on youtube of a guy shooting a motorcycle tire at contact distance with a .475 Linebaugh revolver. We're talking one of the most powerful hanguns on earth. Probably a 420 grain LFN at 1500 FPS. They shoot it, see the impact, go to look and there is no bullet hole to be seen- it ricocheted off into parts unknown.

Physics are weird. Short of a ridiculously large caliber, I wouldn't trust anything to work 100% of the time.

Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWSbpPeTZww

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]

You will not drive on air filled rubber for more than about 1/8 of a mile when you drive
over one of these guys or it's home made cousin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Caltrop.jpg/220px-Caltrop.jpg

You will not drive on air filled rubber for more than about 1/8 of a mile when you drive

over one of these guys or it's home made cousin.

The point was to do it from a distance, while the car is stationary or parked; not getting right there up on it and it being able to move.
All of this is hypothetical, of course.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
What if the tire is rolling?  At what speed?  What if it's on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
.22LR will pop a car tire. Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
410mm
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
a .22 lr will do it depending on the thickness of the wall of the tire.

fixed...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't a .22 pose a serious hazard should it hit the wheel and ricochet, rather than actually punching through?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump for the day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've seen a car tire popped with a .22 CB through the sidewall at around 20 yards, but it took around 15 minutes to deflate.  

No idea how close, but in my dad's young and stupid days he popped a neighbor's tractor tires with a .22LR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Some years ago, I has a 3/8" bolt stick in one of my tires. I noticed it and made a mental note to get it fixed ASAP, but, being a broke college student, ASAP meant 'next time I went home and borrowed money from dad'. Besides, the tire wasn't leaking air.

Fast forward a few days: I'm driving home - in my old full-sized blazer with 2.5" suspension lift and 33x12.50 tires - hardly the most stable thing ever to hit the highway - when the bolt finally came out. I don't know if I slung it out (~70 MPH) or if I wore the head off and the rest of the bolt pushed down into the tire, but either way, a large hole appeared in the tire almost instantly. That's probably as close to a sudden blowout as you're likely to experience at normal highway speeds, and, the point is, even with a large tire suddenly going flat, I was able to slow down, steer off the road, and get stopped without any real trouble.

The point, again, is that 'movie blowouts' - where you lose control of the car - are grossly exaggerated.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wouldn't a .22 pose a serious hazard should it hit the wheel and ricochet, rather than actually punching through?

The bullet usually de-stabilizes some when it hits something so people further away wouldn't have a lot to worry about but up close it definitely would hurt ya.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shotgun, all you have to do is rack it and the tire will deflate on it's own.  

I think 500 S&W might work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are ever out just shooting junk for the fun of it, do not shoot tires with bird shot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#18]
cap and ball
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
.87 Magnum.

fixed
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Nuke it from orbit, it is the only safe way....
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you are ever out just shooting junk for the fun of it, do not shoot tires with bird shot.

But I thought birdshot was supposed to be the best home defense load.....why would it be bad on a tire?  

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Waiting on Old Painless and the Tire O' Truth.  

I have shot a unpressurized tire with a .22 and had the bullet come back and hit me when I was a kid.  We were shooting at a dump and it seemed like a good target.  I never did that again!

I wonder if the tire being unpressurized was the cause. When inflated, the sidewall should be more rigid and thus less likely to dent and then rebound.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Forget the noise, icepick.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bullet usually de-stabilizes some when it hits something so people further away wouldn't have a lot to worry about but up close it definitely would hurt ya.

And with a .22, that lead slug is going to deform and spall, robbing it of much of it's energy.

We shoot .22's at the big steel gongs at the range.  The ground in front of the gongs is littered with flat, nickel-sized lead.  That's just the ones that fall off the gong.  Many of them plaster onto the gong and adhere to it.   If the steel or aluminum in the wheel is strong enough to resist puncture, it's probably strong enough to make the lead deform and splash rather than ricochet.  But, if you do hit it at a shallow enough angle, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
a pellet gun. Not the pop can special though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Judge /thread

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't know about a .22lr puncturing an inflated tire but a dude I graduated from high school with took a shot at a tire swing in his back yard w/ a .22 rifle. I have no idea whether the bullet struck the sidewall or the tread (or what the distance was)... but it got him on the rebound - in the lower left jaw. It didn't buff out!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some years ago, I has a 3/8" bolt stick in one of my tires. I noticed it and made a mental note to get it fixed ASAP, but, being a broke college student, ASAP meant 'next time I went home and borrowed money from dad'. Besides, the tire wasn't leaking air.

Fast forward a few days: I'm driving home - in my old full-sized blazer with 2.5" suspension lift and 33x12.50 tires - hardly the most stable thing ever to hit the highway - when the bolt finally came out. I don't know if I slung it out (~70 MPH) or if I wore the head off and the rest of the bolt pushed down into the tire, but either way, a large hole appeared in the tire almost instantly. That's probably as close to a sudden blowout as you're likely to experience at normal highway speeds, and, the point is, even with a large tire suddenly going flat, I was able to slow down, steer off the road, and get stopped without any real trouble.

The point, again, is that 'movie blowouts' - where you lose control of the car - are grossly exaggerated.

I had a tire blow out doing 35mph. It dented the quarter panel of my '79 Z28 and was so damn loud people were looking out their windows.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Calling Old Painless

Box of Rubber.....tires that is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Allow me to interject some James Yeager into the discussion.  

ETA from the comments:
Handguns suck......they won't do this at any distance and won't penetrate the rubber in some cases.
JamesYeager 1 year ago

Well... he is the expert on cars and gun battles.

Damn, these are just too easy!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Shoot for rim with preferrably a high powered rifle. Tires are somewhat "self sealing" whereas a hole in metal will let out a constant amount of air.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]
After seeing a dog bite a sidewall and cause a leak there is not much that can't put a hole in one.   Have seen pictures of a womans stiletto shoe puncture a tire.  The kids sandbox is a brand new tire that some dolt cut shrink wrap with a knife and cut the side of the tire,  It was on the tractor a week and ruptured and the tube was sticking out.

Maybe an airplane tire could take something more then a .22 but any car tire can easily get a hole in them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
.22 long rifle from a 10/22 from about 100 yards had no problems when I was a kid. Abandoned cars and boys with .22's don't mix.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allow me to interject some James Yeager into the discussion.  

ETA from the comments:

Handguns suck......they won't do this at any distance and won't penetrate the rubber in some cases.

JamesYeager 1 year ago

Well... he is the expert on cars and gun battles.
Damn, these are just too easy!

I think I missed something here.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top