Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/24/2023 8:58:47 AM EDT
At roughly 40 million a piece that's a great deal. The Russian side is absolutely furious. This is the worst single day loss for Russian aviation since May when 5 EW Helos and attack planes were lost in a patriot ambush over Russia. SU34s are such elegant and graceful birds. Sad they had to meet their end this way.

So far in atleast 48 hours there hasn't been any bombing on the Krynky beachhead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/12/22/minus-three-russian-bombers-ukraine-set-another-deadly-missile-ambush-and-shot-down-a-trio-of-high-tech-su-34s/?sh=2dd518292cda

‘Minus Three Russian Bombers.’ Ukraine Set Another Deadly Missile-Ambush—And Shot Down A Trio Of High-Tech Su-34s.
The air over southern Ukraine is becoming more dangerous for the Russians.

The Ukrainian air force shot down three Russian air force Sukhoi Su-34 fighter-bombers in a missile-ambush in southern Ukraine on Friday. It was one of the worst single-day losses for the Russian air arm in the 22-month wider war on Ukraine.

“Minus three Russian bombers,” Ukrainian air force commander Lt. Gen. Mikola Oleshchuk quipped on Facebook.

The ambush could mark a turning point in the air battle over southern Ukraine. In early October, Ukrainian marines motored across the wide Dnipro River and seized, in the settlement of Krynky, a bridgehead on the otherwise Russian-controlled left bank in Kherson Oblast.

The Ukrainians at least briefly had local air-superiority over Krynky thanks to their effective electronic warfare, which grounded Russia’s drones in the area. But regionally, the Russians still had control of the air. And soon Russian air force Su-34s were flying daily sorties to lob satellite-guided glide-bombs at the Krynky bridgehead from 25 miles away.

The glide-bombs, some weighing more than a ton, kill without warning. The glide-bombs “are the least scary because you understand that they will hit, and you won’t feel anything,” a trooper named Oleksandr told The Kyiv Independent.

The Ukrainian air force worked “for a long time” to lay a trap for the Sukhoi glide-bombers, National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Secretary Oleksiy Danilov told Ukrainian radio.

On Nov. 25, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky dropped in at the International Summit on Food Security in Kyiv and announced that Ukraine was preparing to deploy “very powerful air-defenses” to Odesa Oblast, which is adjacent to Kherson Oblast.

Two weeks later, an unidentified missile—possibly from an S-300PS battery—shot down a Russian Sukhoi Su-24 bomber over the western Black Sea, reportedly while the twin-engine, two-person supersonic bomber was staging for an attack on Odesa or one of Ukraine’s river ports on the Danube Delta.

Around the same time, there were rumors that Ukrainian air-defenses in Kherson had shot down an Su-34 as the Russian plane was glide-bombing Krynky. But the greater blow came a month later on Friday.

In quick succession, Ukrainian missiles swatted three Su-34s, killing some of the six aviators on board. A Russian Mil Mi-8 helicopter rotored in to pick up survivors ... or bodies. “A dark day,” one Russian military-blogger wrote.

The twin-engine, supersonic fighter-bombers are some of the newest in the Russian inventory. They’re also increasingly endangered as the war in Ukraine grinds toward its third year. In 22 months of hard fighting, Russia has lost at least 25 of its 150 or so Su-34s.

It’s not clear what missiles the Ukrainians fired at the Sukhoi flight near Krynky. It’s worth noting that the Ukrainian air force got a new U.S.-made Patriot missile battery—its third—from German stocks just last week.

On May 13, a Ukrainian Patriot battery in northern Ukraine shot down, over Russia’s Bryansk Oblast, five Russian fighters and helicopters in the span of a few minutes. Eleven aviators died. The Friday missile-ambush—quite possibly also the work of a Patriot battery—was only slightly less costly for the Russians.

The best outcome for the Ukrainian war effort would be for the Russian air force to dial down its glide-bombing campaign targeting Krynky. Even a switch-up in Russian tactics could benefit the Ukrainian marines in their bridgehead.

Glide-bombs work best when released from high altitude. But that same high flying exposes warplanes to Ukraine’s long-range surface-to-air missiles: Patriots and S-300s.

If the Russians fly lower in order to avoid detection, their glide-bombs will lose range. Pilots might have to get closer to Krynky before nosing up and releasing their bombs. A closer approach could expose the Russians to shorter-range Ukrainian air-defenses.

The Russians must move fast if they want to adapt. Ukrainian defenses over Krynky soon could get even stiffer as the first 18 ex-Dutch F-16 fighters arrive in Ukraine in the coming days.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s a good start
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
No video
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#4]
New like this makes me smile.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Kicked 'em square in the nyets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#8]
And it was done with old stock missiles from the back forty. Totally a great deal...
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully it gives some Ukrainians a break over the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And it was done with old stock missiles from the back forty. Totally a great deal...
View Quote

Yep. Good news.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Makes the guys at krynky happy

Quoted:

Whether it is or not it shows the patriot can deal with current Russian threats and reliably take them down.

A bargain.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No video
View Quote

Ghost of Kiev got them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Makes the guys at krynky happy

Whether it is or not it shows the patriot can deal with current Russian threats and reliably take them down.

A bargain.
View Quote
How do we know it was a Patriot and not one of the other systems in use?

There's the S300, Hawk and maybe others.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see some bears taken out over Russia.  That would probably scare the shit out of them.

Hopefully hasten a coup
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kicked 'em square in the nyets.
View Quote

New ruski company.

Nyet Jets
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Modern military jets, even Russian ones aren't cheap. They have been getting torn up.

Still, this is Russia. They seem to still subscribe to the idea that taking comparatively massive losses is just the price of war and that price is always worth it to whatever psychopath is in charge of the country.

Something I heard the other day that's sticking with me. "What's the difference between someone like Putin and Ted Bundy? Literal armies of yes men."
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
It's about as likely that the Russians shot them down.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I want an SU-34. Not only could I go supersonic, I could get a blowjob while doing it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want an SU-34. Not only could I go supersonic, I could get a blowjob while doing it.
View Quote

Copilot:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How do we know it was a Patriot and not one of the other systems in use?

There's the S300, Hawk and maybe others.
View Quote

S300 is possible, sure. But the German donated Mobile Patriot is way more likely. Hawk? Hell no
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

S300 is possible, sure. But the German donated Mobile Patriot is way more likely. Hawk? Hell no
View Quote
I think this comes down to position and availability rather than most capable system.

The three systems are available. With 3 bombers shot down, tactics may have involved multiple different SAM systems. More than three shots are likely.

Hawks have shot down Mig 21's, 23's, Libyan Su bombers, and Iranian F-14's in friendly fire incidents.

Not sure why you say a Hawk would have no chance against those bombers.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]

I bet she could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ghost of Kiev got them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No video

Ghost of Kiev got them.

Except the Russians actually are talking about them being killed.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember this was an ambush.

They knew where the planes would be and probably turned on the radar, locked, and fired within a couple seconds, while the planes were in their most vulnerable envelope of flight.

What system it was matters a lot less than the tactics here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Modern military jets, even Russian ones aren't cheap. They have been getting torn up.

Still, this is Russia. They seem to still subscribe to the idea that taking comparatively massive losses is just the price of war and that price is always worth it to whatever psychopath is in charge of the country.

Something I heard the other day that's sticking with me. "What's the difference between someone like Putin and Ted Bundy? Literal armies of yes men."
View Quote

"What's the difference between someone like Putin and Ted Bundy? Literal armies of yes men."

Excellent
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair it went against a 30+ year old jet too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Did this really need its own thread a few days after it happened and discussed (even by you) in all the Ukraine threads???
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remember this was an ambush.

They knew where the planes would be and probably turned on the radar, locked, and fired within a couple seconds, while the planes were in their most vulnerable envelope of flight.

What system it was matters a lot less than the tactics here.
View Quote

That is exactly how a Yugoslav Army unit shot down an F-117 in March 1999.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

She better not hook her necklace on the ejection seat handles…
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Be interesting to add up the financial cost of this for Russia.

Not quite the bargain they were hoping for.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did this really need its own thread a few days after it happened and discussed (even by you) in all the Ukraine threads???
View Quote

Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd like to see some bears taken out over Russia.  That would probably scare the shit out of them.

Hopefully hasten a coup
View Quote

They don't have anything that can reach that far and those planes are far behind the lines launching cruise missiles.

Best bet is to hit them on the runways which has happened.

Allegedly they are developing new and much longer ranged drones which will make that happen.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want an MTLB, BTR, or BMP. I can fit those in my garage.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just need a bigger garage for the Suhkoi.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Ex-Netherlands F-16s are inbound in a week or two... it's about to get a lot worse for Russian pilots and SAM battery operators.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ex-Netherlands F-16s are inbound in a week or two... it's about to get a lot worse for Russian pilots and SAM battery operators.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Be interesting to add up the financial cost of this for Russia.

Not quite the bargain they were hoping for.
View Quote

Now try America's...
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"What's the difference between someone like Putin and Ted Bundy? Literal armies of yes men."

Excellent
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent

Ted Bundy doesn't come close to the loyalty and perseverance of Putin's dedicated army of posters here, however. Maybe if he had better propagandists? After all, I'd bet most of the Democrats in the current administration would consider him a villain. Isn't that all the reason I'm supposed to need to think he is probably  getting a bad rap from a biased press and corrupt law enforcement agencies?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ghost of Kiev got them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No video

Ghost of Kiev got them.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Now try America's...
View Quote

Prettymuch nothing. We’re clearing out old stockpiles while making new stuff so our defense industry is getting stronger and production lines are getting updated. Lots of hardworking Americans in the weapons industry are getting Christmas bonuses this year
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#42]
After reading some of these replies I am getting a better understanding of russian copium.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#43]
AC/DC - Shot Down In Flames (Official Video)
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This happens frequently when things start really going bad for the Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently yes, since your here posting in it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This happens frequently when things start really going bad for the Ukrainians.
View Quote

No one should take anything you say as fact after your posts in the Niagara-Falls car crash thread. In fact you could tell me the sky is blue and I would have to verify for myself that it is indeed blue...

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Meanwhile, Ukraine now has 3 fewer anti aircraft missiles, possibly some of their most valuable missiles.

I think we can all agree to chalk this one up as a net win for Russia.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No one should take anything you say as fact after your posts in the Niagara-Falls car crash thread. In fact you could tell me the sky is blue and I would have to verify for myself that it is indeed blue...

View Quote

Sarcastic comment? I'm not sure what your on about. It's hilarious coming from you considering that have been dead wrong about the Russia/Ukraine war since the beginning. If you said water was wet, I would indeed have to check if water is wet.

Funny how these puffer threads always get posted when things are going really bad for Ukraine. We must maintain the narrative!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#49]
There you go flipping the narrative

The shootdown really happened and is current.

When rooshia stronk gets the beatdown the propagandists show up with old or fake ass info, to show how stronk F russia is! Sooo? Is that all you got today?

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Russia will definitely surrender any day now because of this incident.
Any.
Day.
Now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top