Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2020 6:39:01 PM EDT
My Boomer parents graciously are house/dog sitting while my wife and I are at the beach with her parents. I own a home in a gentrified downtown area of Columbia, SC.

Today a 3yo child went missing up the street. My neighbor called me to let me know, and to check our Ring doorbell for any useful footage- cool, sounds good. My parents were away at the store buying some groceries.

From what I can see on the Ring, as soon as my parents pulled back in the driveway they were approached by cops on foot, and they quickly asked to check the property and inside the home. My parents obliged to both. All firearms were locked up, some accessories/mags may have been visible.

My initial reaction is to politly ask my parents to never allow LE in my house without a warrant, as I would. Am I wrong? I understand it was a missing kid, but still, there was nothing the police gained from checking my house, in my opinion. I support LEO's more than most, but they need not be in my house.

Am I wrong? I am sure I will be told "oh, it's fine, the police are only here to help". Thoughts???

The kid was found unharmed, an alleged miscommunication between the child and the parents.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're correct, and the police will barge in anyway, at minimum breaking the door.
View Quote

No exigent circumstances to enter a locked house with no one home.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're correct, and the police will barge in anyway, at minimum breaking the door.

So what is the move? Say no to an unconstitutional search just to get fucked on?

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So what is the move? Say no to an unconstitutional search just to get fucked on?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
They should have said no and that they would check inside and around the house. Then if they find anything they will call 911.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It depends on whether or not while they are in "looking for a kid" they find something else and forget all about the kid...and go with what they found fishing...???
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you have cameras.

Visible ones, and hidden ones.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lawsuit.  Police are forking out millions to shitbag home invaders and felons why not a law abiding citizen?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol

In.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol

In.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It depends on whether or not while they are in "looking for a kid" they find something else and forget all about the kid...and go with what they found fishing...???
View Quote

That is what I am getting at. Columbia has passed some bullshit RFL's and other gun law nonsense (currently being contested by the SC AG), so do not want anyone in those .gov circles to know anything other than the fact that my home is not housing a kidnapped child...

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Columbia is such a shit hole.

I would be absolutely livid with your parents.   Under no circumstances will I ever allow LE into my home without a warrant.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
There's no way I'd let them "check" the inside of my house without a warrant.

What does "check" mean? Does check mean you're going to glance around from a few steps inside the house? I'd be okay with that, but I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of officers that would really like to check every room, every closet, every cabinet, the garage, the attic, my wife's underwear drawer, etc.

Sorry, but no.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
In on the soon to be heard autistic shrills of the cop haters and those who think the police can knock down a door without a warrant or exigent circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol

In.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Captain... was that yes on 1 and no on 2 or yes on 2 ?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Never consent to a search of your person or property,
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would be absolutely livid with your parents.   Under no circumstances will I ever allow LE into my home without a warrant.
View Quote

This. Never again would I permit those retards to watch my house.

ETA: Oops , I insulted a member's family, don't let medicmanfascistdan find out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed .

gd
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If they asked your parents (who were lawfully occupying the property) and they gave them permission then they were invited. Personally, if the same thing were happening in my neighborhood, I would probably let them in just so they could eliminate my property as a possibility and get back to finding that kid.

I am also in the habit of keeping EVERYTHING firearms related out of sight. Not so much because I am worried about cops but NOBODY needs to know what I keep in the house.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#23]
They wanted to enter?

Somebody  (everybody?) in the neighborhood thinks the OP looks a little too friendly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#24]
What's done is done.  Don't damage your relationship with your parents, just politely tell them to never let the police in again if that is your wish.  Also, notes were made of what they observed in your home, bet on it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
You are not wrong. You should never assist or cooperate with the Police in any way. They could not have made their loyalties clearer: they support Antifa and the radical Leftist State.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The cop part notwithstanding.....

What the hell kind of miscommunication does a parent have with a damn 3yo that would cause them to go missing?! Why are they letting a 3yo out of their site for more than a tenth of a second? They're 3! Not 13!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What's done is done.  Don't damage your relationship with your parents, just politely tell them to never let the police in again if that is your wish.  Also, notes were made of what they observed in your home, bet on it.
View Quote

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for offering to search my house but I can handle that and if I find the missing boy I will give him some milk and cookies and call 911
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m a cop and don’t let them in my house. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#32]
find surrogate parents

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, you're right.  

But at this point it's done with, and I wouldn't burn the bridge with my parents over this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed this gem

Quoted:
You are not wrong. You should never assist or cooperate with the Police in any way. They could not have made their loyalties clearer: they support Antifa and the radical Leftist State.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#35]
No warrant no entry.
Fuck these random searches of peoples homes, what a bunch of bullshit.
If targeted after, for making them act within the law, what can one sue them for? Harassment?

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Never consent to a search of your person or property,
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the most naive thing I’ve heard in a while.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#38]
A lot of zero life experience and too much internet.

Any agency will check the lost kid's home a couple times and then call a K-9. Perhaps a canvas before a dog, but generally don't want to screw up the track. No one is asking to go inside a locked home as elderly arrive.
The more likely scenario is the police wanted to look around the yard, sheds, etc. and the old folks said come in.

Guns are in many, many homes...99% don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know when people say stupid shit about engineering and you are flabbergasted?  Yeah, you just did the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is the most naive thing I’ve heard in a while.
View Quote

Ok.  What is Officer Friendly from the Elm Street Suburban Precinct going to do with the notes he made on OP's house:

ooh...nice counter tops, wife wants those...
Jesus, a working TV on top of a broken TV LOL
goddamnman, sweep up the dog hair
whats that funny smell
Hey! I drink that same beer
pool table?  Waste of space

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just wait.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Op, you remember the girl in Cayce that went missing?  The police don't take chances anymore.  If you don't let them search you are suspect #1
View Quote

I don't. I also don't see how a polite 'no thanks, I'll check the house' would result in a kicked down door.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

Correct. Advise the cops that you will search the premises while they wait outside.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In on the soon to be heard autistic shrills of the cop haters and those who think the police can knock down a door without a warrant or exigent circumstances.
View Quote

LOL, they do that already, no knocks at the WRONG address, 3 blocks away from the actual target!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#46]
The shitty thing is, if you say "NO, you cannot enter".  The cops will probably develop tunnel vision directly on your home. Maybe for the missing kid. Maybe just curious what this guy is hiding.  Human nature I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]
No Warrant. No Lookie.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't have them house/dog sit anymore.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They should have said no and that they would check inside and around the house. Then if they find anything they will call 911.
View Quote

This would be the correct way to handle it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, lol.  If I was working that call the most that would happen would be that a check at this address was made would be logged in the call notes.   Are you really implying that the officer that checked the inside of the house wrote an information report on op's interior of his house?  Maybe sent it to the secret service so they could know about op's house?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top