BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

..including race, creed, color, gender, political affiliation, or sexual orientation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome ruling.

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

In a free country, an employer should be able to fire you for any reason they want.

..including race, creed, color, gender, political affiliation, or sexual orientation.  

First amendment says?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This always struck me as one of those "How in the hell would they know?" kind of situations, combined with "Who the hell would let his employer search his car?".

If we're talking about some kind of super-secure facility I can almost understand it (and I'd imagine there is armed security anyway), but for 99.9% of the rest of us working stiffs?

Pragmatically speaking, I kind of don't care either way. If my employer told me I wasn't allowed to keep a gun in my car, I would anyway. How would they know? If they asked to search my car, I'd refuse. "I was looking for a job when I found this one".

On the other hand, are an employer's property rights (we're talking about a parking lot ) really being infringed, if the State says "You know what? It's none of your business if there's a gun in an employee's car?" I mean, how far does this go? "My parking lot, my rules. If there is any pro-Sanders or pro-Clinton literature in your vehicle, you can be terminated. Oh, and that Prius of yours is subject to search."

At some point, it just becomes silly. I'll support their right to ban guns inside the building (I don't have to like it), but you've got to draw a line somewhere, right?. And I think your car out in the fucking parking lot is that line. Otherwise they effectively own you while you're driving to and from work.

Then again - who am I to tell someone who they MUST associate with, against their will? If you're not allowed to fire somebody for any reason (i.e., decide to exercise your freedom of association), then you really don't have that freedom, do you?

Like I said, pragmatically speaking, I kinda don't care either way. It's not really a hardship for the employer (get over it), and it's not really much of a "win" for gun owners, either. Seriously, who wants to work for a company like that anyway? They'll just find another creative way to fire you. Yay, winning.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome ruling.

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

In a free country, an employer should be able to fire you for any reason they want.

In my utopia yes, but I recognize that ship done sailed a loooong time ago, and it ain't coming back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In my utopia yes, but I recognize that ship done sailed a loooong time ago, and it ain't coming back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome ruling.

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

I love the outrage when this comes up regarding a business's right to refuse service. Lots of foaming at the mouth, profanity, insults...
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad that federal facilities are exempt. I hate not being able to carry in my car on the way to and from work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome ruling.

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

It's not a free country or anything close to it, so I'm not going to bother getting worked up over this ruling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doesn't apply to cars which are considered the owners property. Same way the company can't go through your personal cell phone whenever they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about arfcom's favorite canard of 'Their house, their rules"?

Doesn't apply to cars which are considered the owners property. Same way the company can't go through your personal cell phone whenever they want.

But they can restrict you bring a phone on to their property. I see it all the time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Too bad that federal facilities are exempt. I hate not being able to carry in my car on the way to and from work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This always struck me as one of those "How in the hell would they know?" kind of situations, combined with "Who the hell would let his employer search his car?".

If we're talking about some kind of super-secure facility I can almost understand it (and I'd imagine there is armed security anyway), but for 99.9% of the rest of us working stiffs?

Pragmatically speaking, I kind of don't care either way. If my employer told me I wasn't allowed to keep a gun in my car, I would anyway. How would they know? If they asked to search my car, I'd refuse. "I was looking for a job when I found this one".

On the other hand, are an employer's property rights (we're talking about a parking lot ) really being infringed, if the State says "You know what? It's none of your business if there's a gun in an employee's car?" I mean, how far does this go? "My parking lot, my rules. If there is any pro-Sanders or pro-Clinton literature in your vehicle, you can be terminated. Oh, and that Prius of yours is subject to search."

At some point, it just becomes silly. I'll support their right to ban guns inside the building (I don't have to like it), but you've got to draw a line somewhere, right?. And I think your car out in the fucking parking lot is that line. Otherwise they effectively own you while you're driving to and from work.

Then again - who am I to tell someone who they MUST associate with, against their will? If you're not allowed to fire somebody for any reason (i.e., decide to exercise your freedom of association), then you really don't have that freedom, do you?

Like I said, pragmatically speaking, I kinda don't care either way. It's not really a hardship for the employer (get over it), and it's not really much of a "win" for gun owners, either. Seriously, who wants to work for a company like that anyway? They'll just find another creative way to fire you. Yay, winning.
View Quote

Well put, Sir.

My employers have signs and directives prohibiting firearms on company property, but since the passing of the "Stand Your Ground" law here in NC, they (the Plant
Manager, at least) understands OUR rights as citizens and turns a blind eye to keeping firearms in our vehicles. It is very much a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" deal here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Our rules used to state "If you have a firearm in your car because you were using it before, or planned to use it after, work it is permissible." CCW was a valid reason, too.

This was recently deleted, despite years with zero incidents.

In any event, if my employer searches my car and makes a huff out of my having it, I guess I'll be finding a new job pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome ruling.

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

We don't live in a free county as freedom is too scary for many so I am glad to see peoples rights triumph over mamby pamby feelings.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd trade the right to fire me for having a gun if we would wipe out all protected classes.  Ain't gonna happen though.  So, MS values its Firearm-Americans and we are a semi-protected class.  Pay attention, we have more social justice coming down the pipe.

We're here and we're strapped, step off or you might get capped!  Wolverines!                  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome ruling.

Negative ghostrider.

It's horrifically bad.

I'd trade the right to fire me for having a gun if we would wipe out all protected classes.  Ain't gonna happen though.  So, MS values its Firearm-Americans and we are a semi-protected class.  Pay attention, we have more social justice coming down the pipe.

We're here and we're strapped, step off or you might get capped!  Wolverines!                  

I would gladly make the trade for full freedom.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
... State of Arizona passed laws similarly about 10 years ago. The Company had to amend policy to accommodate.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought they could already.

I seem to recall one of those school murderer crazies was stopped by a MS teacher that ran to his car to get his own gun and stopped the killer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder if this includes teachers?  Probably not, but good ruling.

I thought they could already.

I seem to recall one of those school murderer crazies was stopped by a MS teacher that ran to his car to get his own gun and stopped the killer.

That was in Pearl MS, the vice principal ran out to his car to get his .45 and stop Luke Woodard from killing more kids. And it worked.

I love my state!

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, this kind of thing would happen even if Hillary is elected and appoints 4 SCOTUS justices--- so it doesn't matter whether or how we vote.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Something like this needs to make it to the top.

Why can my gov employer who is bound to uphold the constitution tell me I can't have the same CCW rights on gov property (locked in car OK) as a Ohio citizen?

View Quote

I believe in Alabama we have a right to keep a gun locked in the car.

But that didn't stop large companies from saying otherwise in employees handbooks. Or the USPS telling my wife and others they have to park next door and not on USPS properties.
Think about that. No guns allowed on property because you might retrieve it to shoot someone. But if that possible shooter had to walk an extra 10ft they suddenly lack the ability to shoot someone.
So if you are a crook with knowledge of the USPS parking lot policy, you either worked there or know someone who did and mentioned this. Then look for vehicles parked next to the USPS lot, and far away from the building that owns the neighboring lot if you are looking to steal a gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about arfcom's favorite canard of 'Their house, their rules"?
View Quote

That goes for in their place of business as far as I am concerned as they are taking away your right to defend yourself on the way to and from work, which imo no one should be allowed to do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top