BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A crucial element is white-hat/black-hat self-segregation. The white-hats take no direct action against the foe, do only legal things, but constantly do jobs that will indirectly support black-hats. Observe and report opposition activities online. Provide educational resources. Use legal means to hamper opposition activities, increase operational cost and degrade opposition situational awareness.

Black-hats. Well, they know what their job is. 99% of it is keeping a very low profile until an opportunity arises.

Neither group should ever knowingly be in direct contact.
View Quote
amusingly, this is somewhat similar to the overall organization of the left in the US, with the truly violent activists supported institutionally by academia, the media, and the bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A system of cells interlinked, within cells interlinked, within cells interlinked.

Within one stem.
View Quote
you look like a good joe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about a technological power (or Da Gummint).  I'm worried about looters, starving urbanites, and being unable to maintain food/water/shelter/meds.  Again, some people are thinking "Red Dawn", when they should be thinking "One Second After".

I'd much rather have a community-based organization of folks who can help maintain local security, order, and infrastructure, when 9-1-1 stops responding and the food trucks stop arriving at Publix...than any fantasy of stay behind guerrillas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No company-sized element can function against a technological power.

If you plan to just wait until WWIII kills all the technological powers, best of luck.
I'm not worried about a technological power (or Da Gummint).  I'm worried about looters, starving urbanites, and being unable to maintain food/water/shelter/meds.  Again, some people are thinking "Red Dawn", when they should be thinking "One Second After".

I'd much rather have a community-based organization of folks who can help maintain local security, order, and infrastructure, when 9-1-1 stops responding and the food trucks stop arriving at Publix...than any fantasy of stay behind guerrillas.
Having several months of preps encompassing all life sustaining items is easy to do even on meager salaries.

Siege threat from looters is minimal. Good OPSEC should be to keep a low profile, and if that fails 1 guy with an AR could repel 50 starving assholes pretty easy. If you have more than 50 storming the gates, the world has crumbled and you should have left the castle.

Trying to apply a militia component to disaster relief is tarded and best left to the National Gaurd and fed money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does anyone have ideas on what an appropriate mission statement (Not to be confused with a tasking statement) for a militia rifle squad in the US should be?
View Quote
Neighborhood defense in times of need.
That's about it.
Seriously, what other role do you think modern Americans will band together as part of an armed group to accomplish.
Even that would be hard for some people to pull off well once they've had it thrust upon them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
amusingly, this is somewhat similar to the overall organization of the left in the US, with the truly violent activists supported institutionally by academia, the media, and the bureaucracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A crucial element is white-hat/black-hat self-segregation. The white-hats take no direct action against the foe, do only legal things, but constantly do jobs that will indirectly support black-hats. Observe and report opposition activities online. Provide educational resources. Use legal means to hamper opposition activities, increase operational cost and degrade opposition situational awareness.

Black-hats. Well, they know what their job is. 99% of it is keeping a very low profile until an opportunity arises.

I didn't bother to mention it, but you're exactly correct in this observation. They're playing the game quite actively.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even a cursory glance of the history of the militia demonstrates that this assertion is false.  The militia in Britain was controulled by local governments and, before feudalism was done away with, the nobles, and could be place into national service to defend the country.  The colonies inherited their militia tradition from Britain.  The militia was an institution of colonial and local governments which also could at times be subject to national service to defend British colonies.  Once the colonies declared independence, they became State and local institutions.  This fact is embodied in our Constitution, which leaves the militia in the controul of the States, but permits it to be called into Federal service for a limited variety of emergencies and to also be Federally regulated (with States maintaining controul over officer commissions, so that the militia could not be taken over by the Feds).  The Constitution, of course, is the product of our Founders, so obviously the fact was known to them.  The militia was never some ad hoc body composed of armed rabble organized by the "people" as they saw fit.  That's a complete fabrication of history.
View Quote
The founders intent was citizens be able to arm, train, and organize in their own groups or militias independent of any government.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When considering this angle, it needs to be taken into account that most insurgencies in history have been defeated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The individual militia members must be able to understand and perform the basic battle drills for small team tactics. As long as they under stand the basic battle drills, they can be used for a variety of missions. Hit and run, squad attack, enter and clear a building, harassing ops, and things like that.

When it comes to sabatage, long range patrolling, sniper/counter sniper, recon, and more specialized areas they would need to be trained in those specific tasks to be effective.
You're talking about training and tactics, like a guerilla force needs it.

Destruction, fear, and chaos are the tools of a guerrilla force.
If you don’t think the insurgents and terror groups we have been fighting for decades engage in small team tactics you are naive.

It is foolish to think that even a guerilla force should not engage in the basic, shoot, move, and communicate training.
When considering this angle, it needs to be taken into account that most insurgencies in history have been defeated.
Just because insurgents historically lose doesn’t change the fact that basic training of some sort usually happens even with guerilla/insurgent warfare.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I respectfully think you misunderstood my point.

A bunch of fudds that are "friends", and get together every now and then, is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about individuals in this country, who have "true" friends, that they treat as family. That camp, prepare, and train as best they can.

ETA: I am well versed in the ways the way the thread is going. I do shoot, and understand commands and tactics.  A lot more than you'd like to believe.

I haven't been there; I haven't done that. I regret not doing it.  Doesn’t mean I can't, or won't do it.

What Men refused to submit their arms, in 1775? Who committed a serious act of destroying property by throwing it into the sea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The individual militia members must be able to understand and perform the basic battle drills for small team tactics. As long as they under stand the basic battle drills, they can be used for a variety of missions. Hit and run, squad attack, enter and clear a building, harassing ops, and things like that.

When it comes to sabatage, long range patrolling, sniper/counter sniper, recon, and more specialized areas they would need to be trained in those specific tasks to be effective.

If you don’t think the insurgents and terror groups we have been fighting for decades engage in small team tactics you are naive.

It is foolish to think that even a guerilla force should not engage in the basic, shoot, move, and communicate training.
I respectfully think you misunderstood my point.

A bunch of fudds that are "friends", and get together every now and then, is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about individuals in this country, who have "true" friends, that they treat as family. That camp, prepare, and train as best they can.

ETA: I am well versed in the ways the way the thread is going. I do shoot, and understand commands and tactics.  A lot more than you'd like to believe.

I haven't been there; I haven't done that. I regret not doing it.  Doesn’t mean I can't, or won't do it.

What Men refused to submit their arms, in 1775? Who committed a serious act of destroying property by throwing it into the sea?
Even insurgents train. Your point was saying that it’s not needed.

Needing some basic training is dependent on how effective you want your insurgent force to be. So I guess you are right that training is not needed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The founders intent was citizens be able to arm, train, and organize in their own groups or militias independent of any government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even a cursory glance of the history of the militia demonstrates that this assertion is false.  The militia in Britain was controulled by local governments and, before feudalism was done away with, the nobles, and could be place into national service to defend the country.  The colonies inherited their militia tradition from Britain.  The militia was an institution of colonial and local governments which also could at times be subject to national service to defend British colonies.  Once the colonies declared independence, they became State and local institutions.  This fact is embodied in our Constitution, which leaves the militia in the controul of the States, but permits it to be called into Federal service for a limited variety of emergencies and to also be Federally regulated (with States maintaining controul over officer commissions, so that the militia could not be taken over by the Feds).  The Constitution, of course, is the product of our Founders, so obviously the fact was known to them.  The militia was never some ad hoc body composed of armed rabble organized by the "people" as they saw fit.  That's a complete fabrication of history.
False, but nothing seems to stop you from saying so.  The States controulled the militia and inherited them from colonial governments.  They retained controul of the militia through the end of the Founding generation and beyond.  The Founders incorporated the concept of State militias into our laws.  Washington himself supported extensive Federal regulations for the militia based on the finding of Baron von Steuben, who studied the militia system of the Swiss Canton of Bern, and his Secretary of War developed legislation to make that system the system for the militia among the United States, which quite clearly recognizes it as a State institution and provides for Federal service and controul as provided for in the Constitution which, of course, was created by the Founders.  There is no basis for your notion that the intent was what you say it is.  The militia could not be worth much the way you describe it.  As it is, neglect by some of the colonial governments greatly affected militia performance in action, which is why Washington was a proponent of creating solid regulations for it in the first place.  The idea that private bands of citizens would be worth much in the context is absurd.  In order for the militia to play the political role intended by many of the Founders, it has to be a State institution, substantial, well-regulated, etc.  It cannot guarantee the security of a free state otherwise.  It certainly couldn't stand up to a regular army, which was the idea, and the potential for this with it as a State institution is why the centralists among the Founders despied the militia and the fact that the States controulled it.  Men like Hamilton wanted to either make it purely controulled by the central government (and maybe even do away with the States), or wanted to eliminate it altogether.

Perhaps you should cite a reference that shows the supposed intent you claim.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You forgot the part of having no accountability to anyone in regards to their assignments or actions.  They should also appoint their officers based upon social standing and or whoever brings the most beer and hot dogs to the meetings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The militia exists to claim rank, drink beer, and talk about how effective they would be if they ever did anything.
You forgot the part of having no accountability to anyone in regards to their assignments or actions.  They should also appoint their officers based upon social standing and or whoever brings the most beer and hot dogs to the meetings.
Just like the old way of making officers in Europe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
UW, hit and run. Harassment, ambush and interdiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
UW, hit and run. Harassment, ambush and interdiction.
Don't forget IEDs and VBIED.
Quoted:
If you're thinking in terms of militias, squads and so on, and not cells, you've already lost.
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This. A militia in the 21st century isn't standing toe to toe with any sort or conventional force with any reasonable likelihood of success. It may end up doing some scouting or other intel work for a friendly force or will be working as a resistance network. Bombs, sabotage, assassination, and the like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're thinking in terms of militias, squads and so on, and not cells, you've already lost.
This. A militia in the 21st century isn't standing toe to toe with any sort or conventional force with any reasonable likelihood of success. It may end up doing some scouting or other intel work for a friendly force or will be working as a resistance network. Bombs, sabotage, assassination, and the like.
Operation Gladio and the NATO Stay Behind Units are the tactics and TO&Es that modern militia need to emulate.

For those that don't know. NATO nations created units in their respective militaries who's sole purpose was to stay behind if the USSR invaded and occupied. Their mission was to raise resistance forces with weapon caches. Attack soft targets, attack collaborators, etc. Modern militia needs to get off the idea of being in full battle rattle going toe to toe as a near peer force and instead look at the Stay Behind Units and modern underground and currently ongoing partisan/terror units.

It is real interesting in seeing how terror cells and groups operate. Just from the analytical side of studying their tactics, logistics, Intel ops, etc. A lot can be learned from them. Never discount your enemy when they have something you can learn from.

We sure as shit did after WWII by completely reorganizing our method of engagement. Prior to the end of WWI, the central focus of an American Unit was the Rifleman with the MG supporting. The Germans had it with the other way around. After WWII, we adopted that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IF a militia is ever needed again- either to repel a foreign entity or to resist a tyrannical domestic one- the fighting will not be anything like you see in movies or videogames.  The enemy will have vastly superior technology and weapons to choose from.  The only way to fight an enemy like that is guerilla warfare.  You don't attack a hardened military installation, you follow troops home and slaughter them in their sleep.

Yes its dishonorable.  But thats how you win.  Do you think the Brits thought we were fighting honorably back in the 1770s?  Honor is a useless buzzword that is used by old farts or young dumbasses to romanticize things.  But reality is ugly and uncaring.  But its reality that matters, not how moving of a speech your priest says over your grave when you die.

To steal a line from my favorite book series: You know nothing of war. War is dark. Black as pitch. It is not a God. It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trial of souls, nor the measure of wills. Even less is it a tool, a means to some womanish end. It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them....

.... So long as you continue to wage war with your hearts and not your intellect, you are doomed.  

first part is a direct quote, second part is paraphrased.  Context, this guy is trying to convince a bunch of stick-up-their-ass knights and nobles that their way of fighting (caring bout honor) is gonna get them slaughtered by guys who don't play by the same rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In order decide how to best utilize a (the) militia, there needs to be at least some common understanding of certain expectations and limitations of such a force.  The  militia in the United States primarily having access to a relatively restricted set of arms by military standards necessitates that it is put to use with consideration of the limitations inherent to it.

I propose that a first step would be trying to identify and define the composition and makeup of a very basic building block- the rifle squad.

The mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

Can we realistic expect most militia forces, likely put together ad hoc in today's age, to be assigned the same mission statement? I greatly doubt it.

Does anyone have ideas on what an appropriate mission statement (Not to be confused with a tasking statement) for a militia rifle squad in the US should be?
IF a militia is ever needed again- either to repel a foreign entity or to resist a tyrannical domestic one- the fighting will not be anything like you see in movies or videogames.  The enemy will have vastly superior technology and weapons to choose from.  The only way to fight an enemy like that is guerilla warfare.  You don't attack a hardened military installation, you follow troops home and slaughter them in their sleep.

Yes its dishonorable.  But thats how you win.  Do you think the Brits thought we were fighting honorably back in the 1770s?  Honor is a useless buzzword that is used by old farts or young dumbasses to romanticize things.  But reality is ugly and uncaring.  But its reality that matters, not how moving of a speech your priest says over your grave when you die.

To steal a line from my favorite book series: You know nothing of war. War is dark. Black as pitch. It is not a God. It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trial of souls, nor the measure of wills. Even less is it a tool, a means to some womanish end. It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them....

.... So long as you continue to wage war with your hearts and not your intellect, you are doomed.  

first part is a direct quote, second part is paraphrased.  Context, this guy is trying to convince a bunch of stick-up-their-ass knights and nobles that their way of fighting (caring bout honor) is gonna get them slaughtered by guys who don't play by the same rules.
We crossed the Delaware to kill our enemies in their sleep on Christmas. The Crown did not consider thst gentleman like.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
First things first.
Bubba needs to drop about 50 to 80 pounds. Be able to sprint, run, and maneuver through adverse conditions and even in inclement weather.

Heavy 6 and the neck beard boys will have to ditch the little Debbie and snacks from the magazine pouches and replace with magazines.

That should come first and foremost, never mind assembling fire teams...
View Quote
Those aren't the "well regulated" guys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the militia is ad hoc, then we're already talking failure right there.  A militia needs to be organized, properly trained, have standards, have actual officers with real authority, be subject to military discipline, be properly armed and equipped, be uniformed, have common standards, have a chain of command, etc.

Swiss militia units have access to machine guns, grenades, artillery, combat aircraft, armoured vehicles, etc.  The just don't take that stuff home with them, but rather, they check it out at their unit's armoury when needed for service or training.  U.S. militia units in the past also tended to issue weapons from an armoury rather than be exclusively "run what ya' brung".  While there was a legal requirement to procure arms for service (which within decades became obsolete, since it was specific to flintlock smoothbores and pre-Minie ball flintlock rifles, and also called for bore sizes different from what soon became the U.S. standard), typically it was inadequate to rely upon that, and States maintained armouries for which to equip the militia, and they sent period reports to the Federal government regarding what they had.

If one is to actually bother with creating doctrine, there needs to be a militia worth a damn.  This means uniform Federal standards, with States raising organized militias of a useful size that are actually armed and which meet these standards, which should be of a sound nature.  In order to raise and maintain a suitable militia, conscription is required, as it almost always is when it comes to the militia, regardless of what country one is talking about.  The legal basis for such conscription already exists, fortunately.

What is this militia for?  Well, you have different core missions.  One is to act as a check against the Federal government if it were to engage in tyranny or usurpation of power (it already does, but let's say it is to deter something even more egregious); it can also form a basis for unofficial resistance if a State were to become tyrannical.  Being part of the domestic system of checks and balances, giving the public the means to engage in the ultima ratio is one of the most traditional functions in free countries for the militia, including the U.S. and colonies in the past.  This includes resistance to regular and reserve armed forces, as well as armed civilian organizations (such as LEAs).

Another core function is defence against foreign military threats acting against any of the United States or their colonies.

It also needs to be able to deal with internal armed threats, such as rebellion, insurrection, terrorism, etc.

Dealing with natural and man-made disasters (including firefighting), providing relief, search and rescue, maintaining law and order, etc. is also important.

Yet another mission is providing security for places, persons, and events (Alaska's militia, for example, is used to provide security for the Iditarod; California's militia helps provide security and MP functions for Los Alamitos AAF and the JTC).

Enforcement of civilian laws is also an important function, and this can include providing manpower or special capabilities to aid civilian LE, dealing with riots and unrest, dealing with civilian LE that are breaking the law, and more.  A great example of when they militia would be useful in this context is the Dorner incident.  Instead of depriving the area of large amounts of LE, making a bunch of LE work overtime at great public expense, etc., the militia could have been used to provide most of the manpower, with civilian LE simply taking the lead with a few personnel, with the rest of the LEOs continuing their usual jobs.  Also, the Constitution allows Congress to authorize the President to use the militia to enforce Federal laws.

Border security is yet another potential mission, to include coastal and air defence.

Guarding prisoners and dealing with prison riots and such that go beyong what civilian authorities can handle is another mission.

In the case of occupation, whether by domestic forces in a tyrannical context, foreign forces, or internal military threats which result in, say, rebels taking controul or territory, the militia can also engage in guerilla warfare and train other citizens to do the same.  Sabotage before it gets to this point is also a potential mission (the Swiss, for example task their militia with destroying things that could be of use to the enemy wer ethe enemy to seize an area).

In theory, if suitably trained, with safeguards to prevent excessive depletion, during a major war like WWII the militia could potentially also serve as the basis for raising an army if the NG and reserves are not sufficient, with minimal time and effort needed for training, allowing for rapid raising of such a force and without the inadequate training which led to much higher casualties than were necessary during WWII.  In essence, it could be a citizen army-in-being.

Older personnel could also take part in civil defence functions, maintain equipment, and such.

So the militia may have to deal with regular, reserve, and irregular troops; insurgents; terrorists; rebels; criminals; rioters; prisoners; armed civilian organizations; and disasters.  The rifle squad in infantry units should be equipped accordingly.  This does necessitate more than small arms.  It would probably be best to stick with the TO&E used by either the Army or Marine Corps for such a thing, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.  Non-infantry units should still have the capacity to act as infantry if necessary; the militia should, ideally, have a doctrine of "every man a rifleman" (like the Swiss do) and perhaps "everyman a grenadier" (such as by utilizing rifle grenades).

I do like the Swiss post-war model in use until they adopted the "Soldier 95" model in the 1990s, which radically altered the militia's character.  It, in turn, is an evolution of a model going back centuries.  War Secretary Knox and President Washington both supported Federal legislation making this model the basis for militia regulations in the U.S., but Congress was only willing to pass the Milita Act of 1792.  In this model, all able-bodied male citizens are potentially liable for service (the doctrine currently via the unorganized militia concept), and with today's population, a certain percentage would be required to serve in the militia from age 20-60 (for privates; officers and NCOs to 65); Knox and Washington proposed giving some credit for Federal military service, and past a certain point, removing any but emergency obligations from veterans, which has some merit.  Those 20-36 (and any volunteers under 20) would be in a first tier, those 36-49 in a second tier, and those 49-60 in the third tier, with officers and NCOs all being first tier but assigned as needed to the tiers of private soldiers. Main maneuver forces would be from the first tier, supporting forces that could be used for more static defence would be in the second tier, and forces engaged in rear support, civil defence, etc. would be drawn mostly from the third tier.

Upon being indoctrinated, a person would have to go to a recruit school, go to a specialist school for technical jobs, and then go through periodic refresher courses, which decrease in frequency and duration in each tier.  Technical jobs would go to recruits already trained or knowledgeable in those fields, or undergoing training or education in them, so that the militia would not need to train them except with regard to those things specific to militia service (the private sector essentially does the training).  No pensions, 401(k)s, etc.  No medical benefits outside of actual service.  Per diem pay for E-1 starts at about what jurors get today, going up based on rank.  Pay is supplemented by income loss insurance (or operating grants for business owners); those who do not experience income loss only get the base pay.  All of this massively reduces personnel costs, according to the Swiss experience.  Something that could be useful is transferring discharged NG personnel to the militia to incorporate their experience.  Providing for local and independent charters could also be useful, with locally chartered units being able to come under local authority (which is how it was done in Britain and to some extent in the colonies).  Small arms and equipment would be maintained at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In order decide how to best utilize a (the) militia, there needs to be at least some common understanding of certain expectations and limitations of such a force.  The  militia in the United States primarily having access to a relatively restricted set of arms by military standards necessitates that it is put to use with consideration of the limitations inherent to it.

I propose that a first step would be trying to identify and define the composition and makeup of a very basic building block- the rifle squad.

The mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

Can we realistic expect most militia forces, likely put together ad hoc in today's age, to be assigned the same mission statement? I greatly doubt it.

If the militia is ad hoc, then we're already talking failure right there.  A militia needs to be organized, properly trained, have standards, have actual officers with real authority, be subject to military discipline, be properly armed and equipped, be uniformed, have common standards, have a chain of command, etc.

Swiss militia units have access to machine guns, grenades, artillery, combat aircraft, armoured vehicles, etc.  The just don't take that stuff home with them, but rather, they check it out at their unit's armoury when needed for service or training.  U.S. militia units in the past also tended to issue weapons from an armoury rather than be exclusively "run what ya' brung".  While there was a legal requirement to procure arms for service (which within decades became obsolete, since it was specific to flintlock smoothbores and pre-Minie ball flintlock rifles, and also called for bore sizes different from what soon became the U.S. standard), typically it was inadequate to rely upon that, and States maintained armouries for which to equip the militia, and they sent period reports to the Federal government regarding what they had.

If one is to actually bother with creating doctrine, there needs to be a militia worth a damn.  This means uniform Federal standards, with States raising organized militias of a useful size that are actually armed and which meet these standards, which should be of a sound nature.  In order to raise and maintain a suitable militia, conscription is required, as it almost always is when it comes to the militia, regardless of what country one is talking about.  The legal basis for such conscription already exists, fortunately.

What is this militia for?  Well, you have different core missions.  One is to act as a check against the Federal government if it were to engage in tyranny or usurpation of power (it already does, but let's say it is to deter something even more egregious); it can also form a basis for unofficial resistance if a State were to become tyrannical.  Being part of the domestic system of checks and balances, giving the public the means to engage in the ultima ratio is one of the most traditional functions in free countries for the militia, including the U.S. and colonies in the past.  This includes resistance to regular and reserve armed forces, as well as armed civilian organizations (such as LEAs).

Another core function is defence against foreign military threats acting against any of the United States or their colonies.

It also needs to be able to deal with internal armed threats, such as rebellion, insurrection, terrorism, etc.

Dealing with natural and man-made disasters (including firefighting), providing relief, search and rescue, maintaining law and order, etc. is also important.

Yet another mission is providing security for places, persons, and events (Alaska's militia, for example, is used to provide security for the Iditarod; California's militia helps provide security and MP functions for Los Alamitos AAF and the JTC).

Enforcement of civilian laws is also an important function, and this can include providing manpower or special capabilities to aid civilian LE, dealing with riots and unrest, dealing with civilian LE that are breaking the law, and more.  A great example of when they militia would be useful in this context is the Dorner incident.  Instead of depriving the area of large amounts of LE, making a bunch of LE work overtime at great public expense, etc., the militia could have been used to provide most of the manpower, with civilian LE simply taking the lead with a few personnel, with the rest of the LEOs continuing their usual jobs.  Also, the Constitution allows Congress to authorize the President to use the militia to enforce Federal laws.

Border security is yet another potential mission, to include coastal and air defence.

Guarding prisoners and dealing with prison riots and such that go beyong what civilian authorities can handle is another mission.

In the case of occupation, whether by domestic forces in a tyrannical context, foreign forces, or internal military threats which result in, say, rebels taking controul or territory, the militia can also engage in guerilla warfare and train other citizens to do the same.  Sabotage before it gets to this point is also a potential mission (the Swiss, for example task their militia with destroying things that could be of use to the enemy wer ethe enemy to seize an area).

In theory, if suitably trained, with safeguards to prevent excessive depletion, during a major war like WWII the militia could potentially also serve as the basis for raising an army if the NG and reserves are not sufficient, with minimal time and effort needed for training, allowing for rapid raising of such a force and without the inadequate training which led to much higher casualties than were necessary during WWII.  In essence, it could be a citizen army-in-being.

Older personnel could also take part in civil defence functions, maintain equipment, and such.

So the militia may have to deal with regular, reserve, and irregular troops; insurgents; terrorists; rebels; criminals; rioters; prisoners; armed civilian organizations; and disasters.  The rifle squad in infantry units should be equipped accordingly.  This does necessitate more than small arms.  It would probably be best to stick with the TO&E used by either the Army or Marine Corps for such a thing, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.  Non-infantry units should still have the capacity to act as infantry if necessary; the militia should, ideally, have a doctrine of "every man a rifleman" (like the Swiss do) and perhaps "everyman a grenadier" (such as by utilizing rifle grenades).

I do like the Swiss post-war model in use until they adopted the "Soldier 95" model in the 1990s, which radically altered the militia's character.  It, in turn, is an evolution of a model going back centuries.  War Secretary Knox and President Washington both supported Federal legislation making this model the basis for militia regulations in the U.S., but Congress was only willing to pass the Milita Act of 1792.  In this model, all able-bodied male citizens are potentially liable for service (the doctrine currently via the unorganized militia concept), and with today's population, a certain percentage would be required to serve in the militia from age 20-60 (for privates; officers and NCOs to 65); Knox and Washington proposed giving some credit for Federal military service, and past a certain point, removing any but emergency obligations from veterans, which has some merit.  Those 20-36 (and any volunteers under 20) would be in a first tier, those 36-49 in a second tier, and those 49-60 in the third tier, with officers and NCOs all being first tier but assigned as needed to the tiers of private soldiers. Main maneuver forces would be from the first tier, supporting forces that could be used for more static defence would be in the second tier, and forces engaged in rear support, civil defence, etc. would be drawn mostly from the third tier.

Upon being indoctrinated, a person would have to go to a recruit school, go to a specialist school for technical jobs, and then go through periodic refresher courses, which decrease in frequency and duration in each tier.  Technical jobs would go to recruits already trained or knowledgeable in those fields, or undergoing training or education in them, so that the militia would not need to train them except with regard to those things specific to militia service (the private sector essentially does the training).  No pensions, 401(k)s, etc.  No medical benefits outside of actual service.  Per diem pay for E-1 starts at about what jurors get today, going up based on rank.  Pay is supplemented by income loss insurance (or operating grants for business owners); those who do not experience income loss only get the base pay.  All of this massively reduces personnel costs, according to the Swiss experience.  Something that could be useful is transferring discharged NG personnel to the militia to incorporate their experience.  Providing for local and independent charters could also be useful, with locally chartered units being able to come under local authority (which is how it was done in Britain and to some extent in the colonies).  Small arms and equipment would be maintained at home.
American Law Enforcement took the role of militia you speak of. Uniformed, armed, with standards maintained by the states, with reporting to the Feds, etc....
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]
However it looks, it will be evolutionary not revolutionary.  It may start with some forming squads etc.  Others will pursue more asymmetrical warfare. The fat, dumb and lazy will die off.  The smart and prepared will survive for a while.  In the end however the militia may need ot form more conventional forces to win the "war".

The AWI was started by militia units but morphed over time into a conventional force.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#20]
The guys who have fantasies of being the Right Hand of God and slaying the enemy wholesale just crack me up.

Combat’s tough enough with a fit, organized and well trained military.

Go ahead Bubba, start flinging rounds down range without understanding small unit tactics, logistical support or CAS/arty/mortars, and reinforcements and see how long till you catch a bullet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the militia is any way, shape, or form controlled or directed by state or federal government then it is not a militia in the eyes of the founding fathers. For better or worse, the militia should and needs to remain in the hands of "the people".
Our last use of militia was the Span-Am with volunteer units like the Rough Riders. It was a cluster fuck and lead to the creation of the NG in 1903.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't think the insurgents and terror groups we have been fighting for decades engage in small team tactics you are naive.

Most of human history had no value on life and war was fought all out. You invaded subjugate, loot, pillage, rape, and kill.

That is not approved of by the West at the moment.

Look at how we fight now. We won't target certain locations because it is a center of worship.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]
In a big data analytics world, where everyone has history, staying white side (or staying low profile and alive black side) is going to be harder than it was in the 1980s.

If you're alive and in the first world, there's a facebook profile on you. Signing up is not required.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they are a terror cell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have no idea what we are actually talking about, but I wouldnt treat the militia as a "military unit". It simply isnt.

In the modern day, with standing army like we have now, a militia will have no real use, save for actions taken on home soil. And then, it would be less usable as a full frontal combat unit, as the firepower will likely be far greater compared to that of an invading force (if a force actually invaded the continental US.)

If anything, the modern day militia will be no different from the guerrilla fighters, or possibly Taliban/Hamas/ISIS "fighters". Instead of fighting in the open within formations, they fight dirty using indirect and asymmetric warfare tactics to, if not win, atleast make the occupation/invasion hurt.
View Quote
What if we used this doctrine:
Full out mass attack on the enemy by every available rifleman. Use special teams as availability allows, explosives or IEDs etc. The vast strength of 1 in 4 armed Americans would be tough to defeat. Don't wait about for the enemy to become entrenched with defensive positions,  attack en masse and wipe the fuckers off the face of the Earth with all the savagery we can muster.

If that doesn't work then the survivors can fight a guerrilla war.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.... the Founders intent was to have organic independent units that answered to the states and were self funded. They didn't want a large standing army. They wanted a communal system of defense, where the lowest level was the private citizen with private arms. But the core component was the local Militia with trained and drill regularly and answered to local government and not the national.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Please note that I am a self appointed Grand Admiral.  I prefer my proper title of Lord Grand Admiral in formal settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The militia exists to claim rank, drink beer, and talk about how effective they would be if they ever did anything.
Just like the old way of making officers in Europe.
Please note that I am a self appointed Grand Admiral.  I prefer my proper title of Lord Grand Admiral in formal settings.
Supreme Leader & Dictator for Life of the People's Party of .40 S&W is my title and rank.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One question I have is how to operate within an environment in which the opposition have UAVs for surveillance and targeting.
View Quote
Quoth the gorgon stare “lol”
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#30]
The strength of the militia in the US , in a war on our soil, is harassment, road blocks, IEDs etc, hit and run.

The biggest advantage though, and the biggest weapon, is that the militia know where the families of the traitors ( in the case of a tyrannical government ) lives. I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One question I have is how to operate within an environment in which the opposition have UAVs for surveillance and targeting.
View Quote
It's not just a predator dropping a hellfire on you that you have to worry about. Traffic cams, private security cams/cellphones, social media...That's just what we know about. Can the govt. access an Amazon Echo to eavesdrop? Retailer algorithms can give a prediction if a woman is pregnant/due date based just on purchase history. Now imagine what the NSA has up its sleeves.

The wouldbe partisan is going to have his work cut out for hims operating in a surveillance state.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
American Law Enforcement took the role of militia you speak of. Uniformed, armed, with standards maintained by the states, with reporting to the Feds, etc....
View Quote
A suitable role for the militia would be support of LE, along with disaster relief, SAR, and community defense. The corner of Missouri I've lived in for the last few years has been experiencing a gradual disintegration of law and order - agencies are short-handed, incompetent, and corrupt in the worst way. I and the guys I work with have coordinated some work with LE to free up their manpower, but we're still short-handed ourselves.

Fitness is more important than equipment. Bubba with a shotgun, old camouflage, and a Baofeng radio can get the job done with the right training.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

View Quote
Interesting question.  US Army (me thinks) tends to call down artillery fire support or air support to destroy the opponent.  This worked during a blitzkrieg for the Germans until they ran into Stalingrad where Soviet Army Commander Chuikov decided to break that interarms cooperation by closing the distance to belt buckle to belt buckle.  The Palestinians have done the same thing with the Israelis.  Instead of hit and run, they hit, get in close and inflict casualties at close quarters.  It was very demoralizing for the Israelis.  Here the bolded USMC doctrine works well as the Marines are trained in close combat.

Traditionally the American militia runs
.  They did that a lot during the American Revolution.  Exceptions would be King's Mountain where a Tory force was destroyed by pure militia forces and Cowpens where American commander Daniel Morgan counted on the militia to run.  "Give them two volleys boys and then you can go home."  During the War of 1812, militia performed very poorly and even at New Orleans (think south bank) it was useless.  On the other hand at the same battle, the Kentucky Detached Militia did well behind its cotton bail fortifications where Jackson himself was.  It also did well during the Siege of Fort Meigs.  Until a militia is better organized and trained, I expect them to run.  If it has to fight, a militia is better suited planting IEDs and if not called upon to fight, to support (harbor, succor, protect rear areas) full time regular army/armed forces than open direct conflict.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Squad is too much.

Security is compromised.  12 yahoos running around?  Huge footprint.

The 3 man team is the core.

As for the misison;

"The mission of the team is to inflict maximum damage upon the enemy while minimizing risk to the team and community by means of harassment, ambush and decentralized action."
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Interesting question.  US Army (me thinks) tends to call down artillery fire support or air support to destroy the opponent.  This worked during a blitzkrieg for the Germans until they ran into Stalingrad where Soviet Army Commander Chuikov decided to break that interarms cooperation by closing the distance to belt buckle to belt buckle.  The Palestinians have done the same thing with the Israelis.  Instead of hit and run, they hit, get in close and inflict casualties at close quarters.  It was very demoralizing for the Israelis.  Here the bolded USMC doctrine works well as the Marines are trained in close combat.

.  They did that a lot during the American Revolution.  Exceptions would be King's Mountain where a Tory force was destroyed by pure militia forces and Cowpens where American commander Daniel Morgan counted on the militia to run.  "Give them two volleys boys and then you can go home."  During the War of 1812, militia performed very poorly and even at New Orleans (think south bank) it was useless.  On the other hand at the same battle, the Kentucky Detached Militia did well behind its cotton bail fortifications where Jackson himself was.  It also did well during the Siege of Fort Meigs.  Until a militia is better organized and trained, I expect them to run.  A militia is better suited planting IEDs if it has to fight and support (harbor, succor, protect rear areas) for full time regular army than open direct conflict.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.  They did that a lot during the American Revolution.  Exceptions would be King's Mountain where a Tory force was destroyed by pure militia forces and Cowpens where American commander Daniel Morgan counted on the militia to run.  "Give them two volleys boys and then you can go home."  During the War of 1812, militia performed very poorly and even at New Orleans (think south bank) it was useless.  On the other hand at the same battle, the Kentucky Detached Militia did well behind its cotton bail fortifications where Jackson himself was.  It also did well during the Siege of Fort Meigs.  Until a militia is better organized and trained, I expect them to run.  A militia is better suited planting IEDs if it has to fight and support (harbor, succor, protect rear areas) for full time regular army than open direct conflict.
That is what the NATO Stay Behind Units were trained to do. Terror Attacks on Occupation Forces. Bombing, Sabotage, Assassination, etc.... they were first drawn up under the mindset of Territorial Militias and that idea was greatly replaced after the study of WWII and the various Partisan Forces.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Having several months of preps encompassing all life sustaining items is easy to do even on meager salaries.

Siege threat from looters is minimal. Good OPSEC should be to keep a low profile, and if that fails 1 guy with an AR could repel 50 starving assholes pretty easy. If you have more than 50 storming the gates, the world has crumbled and you should have left the castle.

Trying to apply a militia component to disaster relief is tarded and best left to the National Gaurd and fed money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you plan to just wait until WWIII kills all the technological powers, best of luck.

Lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, first a squad would be comprised of 2-4 fireteams along with potential attachments.

I think it would be best to first focus on the fire team before the squad.

Now as for the individual, a rifleman's job is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy though fire and movement and to repel the enemies attack with close combat.

The fire team and the rifle squad allows for maneuver warfare.  To find, fix, flank, and finish the enemy.

So I suppose to rephrase, if I were to make a statement of the purpose of a militia squad it would be something like:

To function as a force, made of the people, for the common defense of the people.
View Quote
Ok...so @Postal0311 gives a good overview of the subcomponents of a conventional rifle squad.  While this is very good, and I appreciate him delving into the subcomponents of the squad this raises a few more questions.

Should the organization of the squad drive the mission, or the mission drive the organiztion of the squad? Further, is there a way we could more clearly define the mission? "To function as a force, made of the people, for the common defense of the people" isn't bad, but could it perhaps be a little too broad? Might such be better suited as the mission of the militia as a whole?

Madcap72

View Quote
@madcap72

Should we assume that a militia, squad, etc cannot also operate as cells? Are the two truly exclusive of each other?  Units and organizations that effectively conduct asymmetric warfare still typically must have some sort of common operational and organizational understanding if they want to make it to an achievable end state do they not?

This reaches back to the question of whether the mission drives the organization, or vice versa.

There is also the question of whether, being utilized for limited support  of conventional forces, such as a state guard or national guard unit, or regular military, the militia ought to be organized and have some general doctrinal understanding that enables them to be tasked properly.  Ie: guarding a power plant, dam, or other infrastructure as in the world wars.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That is what the NATO Stay Behind Units were trained to do. Terror Attacks on Occupation Forces. Bombing, Sabotage, Assassination, etc.... they were first drawn up under the mindset of Territorial Militias and that idea was greatly replaced after the study of WWII and the various Partisan Forces.
View Quote
Operation Gladio!  Where's my C-4, selective fire, suppressed fyre-arms.  Oh I has none. BTW, Maj. Dach von Bern's book, Total Resistance, is an old classic on this subject.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Avoid the tip of the spear.

Attack the hands that wield it.

COC.
View Quote
This!

Hit the supply lines hard and often! Destroy the moral of the enemy! Front line units starving & low on ammo.

Deny the enemy his beans & bullets. Not glorious, but very effective.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#40]
OP what is the scenario that is being played out that the militia is being called up for?
From Reading answers so far it appears that the US military and gov has been wiped out and millions of Chinese and Koreans are Marching across the borders?
I've always the sheer numbers of the militia are the answer to most problems.
If it comes down to our own government becoming tyrannical and marching against the people the sheer numbers block it. While in New York City people might not protest door-to-door confiscations Etc once you get into flyover country or hold my beer country the government doesn't have enough personnel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
That's under the assumption they aren't armed with firearms of course.

Also, we could make them zombies instead because that's just as probable and a more entertaining thought exercise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#42]
BTW, while I denigrate the U. S. militia (and it did poorly in the American Civil War too), the most credible militia defense in modern times was the Vietnamese when China invaded to take pressure off of Laos.  The Vietnamese let their militia bear the brunt of the Chinese assault and they handed the PLA its azz.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Which militia group are you in?   Asking for a friend.
View Quote
The USMC militia.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Guerilla tactics. The bane of every professional army since the beginning of time. Blend in with the populace, learn the enemies tactics, learn their habits, their reactions to certain circumstances, learn their dependencies. Never ever, ever fight on their terms or on their ground. Only attack when you can win and when the target is either valuable enough to be worth the risk or to cause general disruption of their comfort.

It is depressing to have to explain this as this country was mostly won using guerilla tactics against the most powerful army in the world at the time. It's when we went toe-to-toe with them on their ground, on their terms, and fought as they fought we got our shit pushed in. Ambush, ambush, ambush, hit-and-run, targeting officers, burning crops and slashing throats in the middle of the night.

We often hate the al-queda and tali for fighting this way, but against a standing professional army like ours, what idiot wouldn't fight the same way?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think it would be relegated to defensive and area denial operations as well as plain old harassment and local security.
View Quote
When I think of modern American militia's purpose, this is what I envision. Most militia members would serve as an extra rifle where it's needed and not as door kickers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Guerilla tactics. The bane of every professional army since the beginning of time. Blend in with the populace, learn the enemies tactics, learn their habits, their reactions to certain circumstances, learn their dependencies. Never ever, ever fight on their terms or on their ground. Only attack when you can win and when the target is either valuable enough to be worth the risk or to cause general disruption of their comfort.

It is depressing to have to explain this as this country was mostly won using guerilla tactics against the most powerful army in the world at the time. It's when we went toe-to-toe with them on their ground, on their terms, and fought as they fought we got our shit pushed in. Ambush, ambush, ambush, hit-and-run, targeting officers, burning crops and slashing throats in the middle of the night.

We often hate the al-queda and tali for fighting this way, but against a standing professional army like ours, what idiot wouldn't fight the same way?
View Quote
Cite?

I'm pretty sure we only started winning after a certain Prussian drilled the Continental Army into a professional fighting force.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What's the purpose of this militia?

kinda important to know it's goal.  If it's to be like the USMC, well, that's not gonna work.

I'm no expert, but it would seem the strength of a militia is that it isn't a conventional, shoehorning it into a conventional military model seems wrong headed.
View Quote
We shouldn't confuse having a limited common organizational understanding as shoehorning it into a conventional military model.  If such were the case, our special operations forces would be severely handicapped.

Organizational standards and doctrine should never prevent leaders from thinking and operating independently.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Historical examples should provide a solid organizational basis, with updates and scalability applied for modern times/doctrine. As mentioned earlier, different purpose-based branches and units would probably be required; some operational inspiration would necessarily need to come from otherwise detestable/infamous organizations:

Direct Action/Espionage

Roger's rangers

VietCong

French Resistance

Stasi (at least in terms of operations/secrecy)

Propaganda/Political

The Chans (Rule 2)

Sinn Fein

File-sharing websites/services

Logistics/Materials

Rosie The Riveter

Bootlegging in business

Bootlegging alcohol

The real question to make determinations would be, who would you be fighting, and what technologies/doctrine/ethics/morality/belief-system do they adhere to?

ETA; Other info.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
BTW, while I denigrate the U. S. militia (and it did poorly in the American Civil War too), the most credible militia defense in modern times was the Vietnamese when China invaded to take pressure off of Laos.  The Vietnamese let their militia bear the brunt of the Chinese assault and they handed the PLA its azz.  
View Quote
It helps that the PLA was horribly outmatched and outdated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have no idea what we are actually talking about, but I wouldnt treat the militia as a "military unit". It simply isnt.

In the modern day, with standing army like we have now, a militia will have no real use, save for actions taken on home soil. And then, it would be less usable as a full frontal combat unit, as the firepower will likely be far greater compared to that of an invading force (if a force actually invaded the continental US.)

If anything, the modern day militia will be no different from the guerrilla fighters, or possibly Taliban/Hamas/ISIS "fighters". Instead of fighting in the open within formations, they fight dirty using indirect and asymmetric warfare tactics to, if not win, atleast make the occupation/invasion hurt.
View Quote
Sun Tzu
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top