User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
don't quite get the concepts of insurgency or counter-insurgency, do ya?

FYI, 1 guy with an AR has to sleep sometime.  Lone wolves usually end up as dead wolves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having several months of preps encompassing all life sustaining items is easy to do even on meager salaries.

Siege threat from looters is minimal. Good OPSEC should be to keep a low profile, and if that fails 1 guy with an AR could repel 50 starving assholes pretty easy. If you have more than 50 storming the gates, the world has crumbled and you should have left the castle.

Trying to apply a militia component to disaster relief is tarded and best left to the National Gaurd and fed money.
don't quite get the concepts of insurgency or counter-insurgency, do ya?

FYI, 1 guy with an AR has to sleep sometime.  Lone wolves usually end up as dead wolves.
You think a bunch of low iq, bitch made dudes that can't survive and are forced to attack are gonna an insurgent esqe issue?

lol

How many roof top koreans did it take to repel hundreds of abled bodied looters?

Like 5?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Bricks through living room windows with notes to the effect of "Nice home you got. Be a shame if were to, IDK, burn down" carry a powerful message.
View Quote
I hope people try that at night when they can’t see the cameras recording them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One question I have is how to operate within an environment in which the opposition have UAVs for surveillance and targeting.
View Quote
Don't strike against the tip of the spear, strike against the hands wielding it.

ETA: I see someone beat me to that quote, dupetastic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which is why we won the surge in IraqAfghanistan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be under surveillance the entire time.  They rewind the footage, see where you came from, and SWAT Teams will have high risk warrants for your arrest within hours, to be executed ASAP, as they seal off the area with bearcats and orders for all the well-trained public school serfs to shelter in place while they deal with you.

The guys on the SWAT Teams actually work out and shoot regularly, run through shoot houses, and most full time teams have hundreds of warrants under their belts.

Your dynamic, inflict damage on the enemy with harassment and ambush fantasy will be over within 24 hours.
Which is why we won the surge in IraqAfghanistan.
I was thinking more about the joint counter-IED and insurgent cell networks in Iraq in 2007.

There is some good material on it out there.

It would be the same here, as long as the local LEOs or National Guard/Air National Guard units used the same or better platforms.

Combined with cyber, it would be brutal for a wannabe resistance movement, unless you don't have a cyber profile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Strange- I'm now a reservist who works as a federal agent since I decided I need a grown up job.  I have tracked people down and served warrants, and have an intimate understanding of what you are saying.  I also understand that results and capabilities vary drastically from area to area, office to office.

I can't seem to find where I suggested the modern militia is necessarily going to be engaged in conflict against an enemy that would bring a SWAT team down on them?

In fact, I can't seem to recall suggesting it should not be under control of the county, at the least- though more appropriately the individual state legislatures.  A modern militia can still be useful as a fighting force, though as throughout history will likely be unsuccessful or see limited success independent of support from regular (or in the case of states National Guard) forces that have tanks, arty, CAS, drones, etc.

Don't make so many assumptions, and stick to the specific question at hand rather than wander into "Whatifville".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Squad is too much.

Security is compromised.  12 yahoos running around?  Huge footprint.

The 3 man team is the core.

As for the misison;

"The mission of the team is to inflict maximum damage upon the enemy while minimizing risk to the team and community by means of harassment, ambush and decentralized action."
This appears to be a solid mission statement.
You'll be under surveillance the entire time.  They rewind the footage, see where you came from, and SWAT Teams will have high risk warrants for your arrest within hours, to be executed ASAP, as they seal off the area with bearcats and orders for all the well-trained public school serfs to shelter in place while they deal with you.

The guys on the SWAT Teams actually work out and shoot regularly, run through shoot houses, and most full time teams have hundreds of warrants under their belts.

Your dynamic, inflict damage on the enemy with harassment and ambush fantasy will be over within 24 hours.
Strange- I'm now a reservist who works as a federal agent since I decided I need a grown up job.  I have tracked people down and served warrants, and have an intimate understanding of what you are saying.  I also understand that results and capabilities vary drastically from area to area, office to office.

I can't seem to find where I suggested the modern militia is necessarily going to be engaged in conflict against an enemy that would bring a SWAT team down on them?

In fact, I can't seem to recall suggesting it should not be under control of the county, at the least- though more appropriately the individual state legislatures.  A modern militia can still be useful as a fighting force, though as throughout history will likely be unsuccessful or see limited success independent of support from regular (or in the case of states National Guard) forces that have tanks, arty, CAS, drones, etc.

Don't make so many assumptions, and stick to the specific question at hand rather than wander into "Whatifville".
People are talking about using Infantry Squad organization in this thread, including the title, combined with ambush and harassment missions.

If that does't bring on the Governor, National Guard, and Air National Guard, I don't know what will.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting how places with universal CCTV coverage like London have unsolved murders, terrorist attacks, just outrageous levels of crime in general.  Mind telling me what just happened in the news with their murder stats?  Say, in relation to a large city in the northeastern US?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting how places with universal CCTV coverage like London have unsolved murders, terrorist attacks, just outrageous levels of crime in general.  Mind telling me what just happened in the news with their murder stats?  Say, in relation to a large city in the northeastern US?
They don't have joint systems, including aerial platform surveillance feed overlaid with other systems in the area.

The moment you launch ambushes and harassment missions against local LE, you're going to get some attention from higher level resources than the local sheriffs.

Like I said, give me some appropriate HUMINT and PSYOP assets in the area, and I can defeat whatever jack-booted thuggery the citizens are complaining about in short order.

Think about Washington's intel cells against the British, not German mercenaries teaching close order drill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People are talking about using Infantry Squad organization in this thread, including the title, combined with ambush and harassment missions.

If that does't bring on the Governor, National Guard, and Air National Guard, I don't know what will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Squad is too much.

Security is compromised.  12 yahoos running around?  Huge footprint.

The 3 man team is the core.

As for the misison;

"The mission of the team is to inflict maximum damage upon the enemy while minimizing risk to the team and community by means of harassment, ambush and decentralized action."
This appears to be a solid mission statement.

I think the disconnect here is the assumption on the part of some, especially those speaking out against it, that said rifle squad organization, and its potential ambush or harassment missions, wouldn't be under direction of the Governor, officers of the National Guard, or other competent governing authority.  I never suggested in the OP, nor did Sylvan in the post you quoted, that the militia in question is some rogue organization.  While some are trying to steer the thread in that direction- the intent was to suggest, as stated in the OP, that to revitalize the militia system we need to redefine how it must operate in 21st century warfare at a very basic level.

The law in many more states than not allows for the governor to conscript residents of the state for militia service.  Most states simply have let the system fall by the way side- in some states, such as Idaho and Montana for example, you are required as a male to be enrolled in the militia or pay a fine to the county wherein you reside.  They simply haven't enforced it since WWII.  If the states ever wish to maintain the shreds of sovereignty they have left, or ever hope to push back and retake the authorities they have under the tenth amendment (and thereby exist as free and independent states that exist as part of a federal system), they MUST revitalize the militia system.  It gives the states the implicit threat of force, which is why the federal government has worked so hard to ensure that even the Guard has drifted farther and farther into the federal domain. While it is highly unlikely state militias could win a war on their own, they don't need to.  The can serve as defense for critical infrastructure, help support planned or pitched defense of a community, and augment the "regular" (National Guard) forces of the individual states.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was thinking more about the joint counter-IED and insurgent cell networks in Iraq in 2007.

There is some good material on it out there.

It would be the same here, as long as the local LEOs or National Guard/Air National Guard units used the same or better platforms.

Combined with cyber, it would be brutal for a wannabe resistance movement, unless you don't have a cyber profile.
View Quote
Or use a cyber profile to intentionally spread mis/disinfo.

I sure as heck wouldn’t do that. I wouldn’t know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
What seems to have derailed this thread is the disconnect between the OP asking specifically about "how to set up a militia rifle squad" but people mostly arguing about the bigger-picture questions of "does the militia need rifle squads" (and ultimately "what is a militia for and how should it be structured and used").

Starting with the militia's purpose/mission, how about "to protect their fellow citizens against enemies foreign and domestic, and to preserve or restore the Constitutional order of our Republic"?

However, in order to show presence and demonstrate utility in "peacetime", as well as for team building and training purposes, the militia could as well help with traffic control, search & rescue, emergency preparedness training for citizens, etc. etc. (understanding that these activities should not detract from preparing for their primary mission, and also understanding that those who are "out and proud" about being in their local militia will likely be among the first to be rolled up should TSHTF - so maybe in addition to the "official/open" militia there should also be a clandestine organization? But, during peacetime, that would probably draw a lot of attention from the powers-that-be, and may even be illegal in some states.)

In any case, that means "the militia" as a whole (and, ideally, every single squad/cell) needs to be able to cover missions on a spectrum from traffic control to search & rescue to intelligence gathering and analysis to propaganda to ambushes to raids on high-value targets to ... (depending on personnel, training and equipment), all in a decentralized, self-sustaining and potentially clandestine operational context. Thus, as someone else mentioned, for a "generic" militia cell/squad, the SF A-Team model is probably more appropriate as a building block than an infantry rifle squad. But hey, the OP wanted to hear about rifle squads

But the A-Team model also illustrates the challenge of finding the right people for it - "a hundred men we'll test today..."
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top