Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
11 is statistically insignificant compared to the number of vape users.

Considering legislation based on 11 deaths caused by a substitute product for cigarettes (which kill hundreds daily) is just inane. Fucking clown world.

Tobacco lobbyists HAVE to be behind this. No other explanation. I would be astounded if they weren’t behind the push to ban the competing product.
View Quote
Tobacco and the tree industry are two of the main industries that made mj illegal to begin with. Wouldn’t be surprised
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Remember when eating raw cookie dough was banned because one person died?  Me too
View Quote
Now that you mention it, so do I.
And didn't companies start making dough different after that or something? No raw eggs or something can't remember what it was.

But guess what? I love raw cookie dough. So I'll eat it if I so please
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And didn't companies start making dough different after that or something? No raw eggs or something can't remember what it was.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember when eating raw cookie dough was banned because one person died?  Me too

It's not the eggs you have to worry about, it's the shit in the flour that you get sick from nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I suspect there have been other deaths related to vaping that were classified as something else.
View Quote
Well as Thomas Sowell said it is important to ask three questions, "Compared to what?", "At what cost?", and "Based on what evidence."

Since your evidence is your suspicion or feelings, your cost is the economic destruction of many peoples livelihoods, and compared to Tabaco vaping is far less harmful based on all current evidence, I would argue that there is zero basis for government to take ANY action relating to vapes.

But its deeper than that, even IF the cost of vaping was great its peoples own choice, no one is being forced to vape and if anything they are being fear-mongered to not vape. Why is it the federal government's job to protect people from their own decisions? At great cost to everyone else and based on no evidence.

Someone here noted that when there is an E-Coli outbreak produce is pulled from shelves quickly, that is true, because E-Coli is a known and understood illness. So far any health effects from vaping are conjecture at best.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Possibly

Or it’s the gross overuse (and misuse) of the product. A product that was never intended to be used by people who didn’t have a nicotine habit, but introduced an a cessation aid. Starting vaping is about as retarded as taking up chewing nicotine gum or slapping a bunch of nic patches all of your body.

And then there are the “mod boxes” and such which produce a lot more vapor than was ever intended. And people sit there and take drags off these things every 2-3 breaths and then complain about health problems.

No shit, Sherlock
View Quote
The mod boxes you speak of until recently were the most available and popular vapes. There were other options, but weren't in widespread use. In comes the Juul and that starts to change. Where were these lung illnesses then, When almost everyone vaping was using these huge mod boxes?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's not the eggs you have to worry about, it's the shit in the flour that you get sick from nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes! That's what it was. Couldn't remember
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how many people have died tobacco related deaths this year?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

More than likely.
And THC wouldn't show up if that person was vaping the CBD oil right? That's a thing now apparently. Why I have no idea
View Quote
It also wouldn't show up if it were certain strains of synthetic cannabinoids, like spice k2 and the other crap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Smoking and drinking are something that's gets you for abuse over time.
You don't start smoking cigarettes or drink a 6 pack and all the sudden get some unknown killer disease.
Reusing some nasty device that vaporizes chemicals made by who knows what 3rd world shit hole country directly in to your lungs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It also wouldn't show up if it were certain strains of synthetic cannabinoids, like spice k2 and the other crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than likely.
And THC wouldn't show up if that person was vaping the CBD oil right? That's a thing now apparently. Why I have no idea
I have a feeling that all these "incidents" have a link to something like that. Not regular nicotine vape.
If there's even a problem at all.
Like others have said, those people could have had a reaction to an ingredient. Or other health problems.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You don't start smoking cigarettes or drink a 6 pack and all the sudden get some unknown killer disease.
Reusing some nasty device that vaporizes chemicals made by who knows what 3rd world shit hole country directly in to your lungs.
View Quote

The "re-usable" device is cotton. Made here in the good old USA. (some prefer Japanese organic cotton)

Edit: dunno about juul. Never used it. But a regular vape is a heating element that heats up cotton soaked in whatever you're vaping.

Edit 2: and you can make your own vape juice with 4 ingredients. No need to get it from shit hole countries
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tell that to the people who have died from methyl alcohol poisoning. I would put money that more than 90% of all nic juice consumed in the USA is produced in the USA. The synthetic cannabinoid crap? Who knows.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Considering legislation based on 11 deaths caused by a substitute product for cigarettes (which kill hundreds daily) is just inane. Fucking clown world.

Tobacco lobbyists HAVE to be behind this. No other explanation. I would be astounded if they weren’t behind the push to ban the competing product.
View Quote
Actually hundreds die daily after YEARS of use. How many people die from cigarettes after a year or less of use?

to simply say it kills hundreds daily is somewhat misleading.

There are people who smoked cigs for 10-20 years before the first problem surfaced.

Vaping has only been around about 10 years or so, and only recently exploded in popularity.

(I don't have a dog in this hunt, as I use neither, but at least both sides should try to be factual)

I'm waiting for more information to come out, which will eventually.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States

LET'S BAN VAPING!
View Quote
...but those are typically slow, agonizing deaths where the victim lingers for years, being kept alive by millions of dollars in medial care.

The 11 vapers just up and died.

Ain't no money to be made from "just up and died".
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a feeling that all these "incidents" have a link to something like that. Not regular nicotine vape.
If there's even a problem at all.
Like others have said, those people could have had a reaction to an ingredient. Or other health problems.
View Quote
I’ve heard the K2 and spice additive arguments as well and I’m not sure I buy it. It doesnt make sense from a business perspective. Seriously if we look at it from a drug perspective, look at the majority of consumers. They aren’t like other “drug” users. People forget pot heads are entirely different. The majority don’t want to purposely put something harmful in their system. If they think for a second they are, and it’s not natural they’ll find another source. And no I’m not getting into an argument about the safety of any mj products, I’m simply stating a fact in regards to the overall perception of pot smokers.  From a business perspective whether it’s street dealer, or manufacturer they aren’t going to want to run the risk of having there product attached to something negative and won’t want to risk it. Just doesn’t add up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Falling coconuts kill 150 people each year. Just sayin, coconuts are at least 10x worse than vaping.
View Quote
That doesn’t even count coconuts thrown by angry strippers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article230339064.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The mod boxes you speak of until recently were the most available and popular vapes. There were other options, but weren't in widespread use. In comes the Juul and that starts to change. Where were these lung illnesses then, When almost everyone vaping was using these huge mod boxes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly

Or it’s the gross overuse (and misuse) of the product. A product that was never intended to be used by people who didn’t have a nicotine habit, but introduced an a cessation aid. Starting vaping is about as retarded as taking up chewing nicotine gum or slapping a bunch of nic patches all of your body.

And then there are the “mod boxes” and such which produce a lot more vapor than was ever intended. And people sit there and take drags off these things every 2-3 breaths and then complain about health problems.

No shit, Sherlock
So far as I know, juul, ace, blu, and others came around in popularity about the same time, and the pre filled pods should be safer than whatever bottle of stuff you can pick up at 7/11 to put in a refillable device which yes, puts a lot more product into your lungs.

I’m not against vaping when it’s used as it was intended. But when you go beyond that then complain about health issues...it’s like someone eating cheeseburgers for every meal then complain about health issues.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't get the newfound panic over this.  11 people is statistically zero.  I'm sure 11 people have died while scratching off lottery tickets in a thunderstorm and had a birdhouse fall on their head, or any other crazy series of events.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Remember when an entire industry had to retool to add tamper resistant seals to their products when seven people dies in Chicago from poisoned Tylenol? Me too
View Quote
Username is conflicting

But you're right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL.

Prohibitionists wanting to prohibit.

How 'bout leaving people alone to ingest whatever the fuck they want so long as they're bothering anyone else?

Before you trot out the BS about a drain on society, there's a long fucking list of shit that needs prohibited before shit that kills you early.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cumulative effect? Maybe, like tobacco, it takes years to become ill from it? So just now been around long enough to see the onset of long term health consequences?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mind explaining the other millions of vape users that have been vaping for years without issue?
Cumulative effect? Maybe, like tobacco, it takes years to become ill from it? So just now been around long enough to see the onset of long term health consequences?
A large chunk of the people who developed this acute illness are under the age of 18 and vaping has been around in some form or another for 10-15 years at this point (if not longer).

The math doesn’t really work out in your theory.

The most logical explanation based on the admittedly limited facts we have at this point are that this is an isolated group of incidents caused by an as yet publicly unknown factor that was recently introduced into the vaping market.  It’s literally the only thing that makes sense absent any further info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow. The first actual science I've seen on this topic, and something I've been eagerly waiting for amid the hysterical moral panic and virtue signaling. As an analytical chemist (and son of an epidemiologist) I greatly appreciate some relevant and most serious looking data. Always let the data lead you to the answer. Please keep us informed.

Interesting, but still not statistically significant, and the data seems to cluster around THC and vitamin E formulations, which may be the more relevant observation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's the thing.  Vaping isn't new, it's been around for about 12 years.  Until 90 days ago, there were zero deaths.  So what changed?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States

LET'S BAN VAPING!
View Quote
The argument does sound familiar.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quite surprised I'm not on ignore yet.

The point years ago was to stop smoking and switch exclusively to vaping. That's literally the point. Are you saying all of those people were/are closeted cigarette smokers, and all of these dead kids are vaping exclusively?

Your being intellectually dishonest not admitting theres another variable. Bad batch of oil possibly, but theirs no oil in nic juice, that's strictly a thc thing. Thc must be suspended in something for it to be a liquid.

Edit to add epiphany: now that I think of it isn't thc a crystalline substance. Its suspended in oil to hit. Smoking a crystalline substance changes its form to vapor through combustion, literally smoke. Vaping is not combustion, what happens when you heat a crystalline substance to liquid or gaseous form, and recool it? Returns to crystalline form. There ya go theres your answer.
View Quote
People have been vaping/smoking THC concentrate for years.  Literally vaporizing crystal THC and inhaling it, they don't have chunks of THC in their lungs.  THC is normally absorb into the lungs, that's why people smoke it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tell that to the people who have died from methyl alcohol poisoning. I would put money that more than 90% of all nic juice consumed in the USA is produced in the USA. The synthetic cannabinoid crap? Who knows.
View Quote
It's ILLEGAL to make and sell moonshine.
Drugs and alcohol have always been regulated.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Sponsor by big tobacco!

Want a light?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]
How many people have died from complications of vaccines? I'd be wiling to bet more than 11, and the number there is still next to nothing.

I hate vaping myself, but don't agree with a ban. Drinking beer is bad for me and I do that. And more than 11 people a year die from it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you had a few million people breathing air through a straw - 11 would die whilst doing so.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally for me the solution is simple,  breathe only air into your lungs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh look, another "I hate vaping" thread.

How quaint.

Not going to stop.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
11!

View Quote
I bet they were vaping pot or some other shit. National Emergency???
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
There are more gang related deaths in a week where I live.

If you don't smoke or didn't switch to vaping, yes it's stupid to start.

But if you stopped cigs using vape, vaping is a much better alternative.

It's all perspective.  But no matter how hard you try, I'm not going to stop using it because of a bunch of manipulations, political bullshit, sin tax wanting bullshit.

I'll roll my own, whatever.  Not going back to cigs, but I'm not giving up my vape.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Widespread use of vape, and people switching entirely over to vape products and cutting out smoking. That's why we're seeing all these cases all of the sudden IMO

I'm saying the lack of whole smoke is the problem with vape. See how its not triggering the "smoke" genes in the graph I posted? Diid you check out the link to the study where it shows vape nicotine has a different genetic profile reaction than "mainstream smoke" (what the study calls it aka regular cigarette smoke).
View Quote
Ive been vaping for years.

If my lungs were going to get fucked Lee these kids who haven't been using it nearly as long as me are getting fucked up this quick, how am I still alive...... AND I'm in much better health than when I smoked?

Oh yea, you just don't like it and want an excuse to tell others what to do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Possibly

Or it's the gross overuse (and misuse) of the product. A product that was never intended to be used by people who didn't have a nicotine habit, but introduced an a cessation aid. Starting vaping is about as retarded as taking up chewing nicotine gum or slapping a bunch of nic patches all of your body.

And then there are the "mod boxes" and such which produce a lot more vapor than was ever intended. And people sit there and take drags off these things every 2-3 breaths and then complain about health problems.

No shit, Sherlock
View Quote
Their lives, their choice.  Not yours.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's ILLEGAL to make and sell moonshine.
Drugs and alcohol have always been regulated.
View Quote
No.

So much fail.

Until quite some time after the civil war, you could go down to the drugstore and buy a bottle of laudanum, paregoric, cocaine, opium, whatever.  The only limit was the amount of money you had.  MJ wasn't made illegal until about the time Prohibition was repealed.

Do you even history bro?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Widespread use of vape, and people switching entirely over to vape products and cutting out smoking. That's why we're seeing all these cases all of the sudden IMO

I'm saying the lack of whole smoke is the problem with vape. See how its not triggering the "smoke" genes in the graph I posted? Diid you check out the link to the study where it shows vape nicotine has a different genetic profile reaction than "mainstream smoke" (what the study calls it aka regular cigarette smoke).
View Quote
ALL THESE CASES

ALL THESE CASES

ALL THESE CASES
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Personally for me the solution is simple,  breathe only air into your lungs.
View Quote
Communist China - "Challenge accepted!"

Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ok let's say that true. Wheres the cases of the multi year user? All of the ones I've bothered to look at have been adolescent to young adults that had been vaping less than a year.
View Quote
Raises hand.

Im in better health now than when I smoked.

I use quality liquid and kit.  It keeps me from smoking.

It's better.  It cannot possibly be nearly as bad as smoking until we reach 400k deaths per year....and I'm confident that wont be the case.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When 1 person gets deaded by eating some e-coli lettuce or strawberries..........they pull that shit off the shelves INSTANTLY to sort it out.

Vapors dying after doing what they do?  I guess nobody really gives a shit.
View Quote
Not a good conclusion.

Bad lettuce....they pull that crop/group /whatever.....not try to ban all lettuce in the entire nation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#43]
According to Beta Boi, 40,000 children die every year from fully semi-automatic assault weapons.

Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
LOL.

Prohibitionists wanting to prohibit.

How 'bout leaving people alone to ingest whatever the fuck they want so long as they're bothering anyone else?

Before you trot out the BS about a drain on society, there's a long fucking list of shit that needs prohibited before shit that kills you early.
View Quote
Because we have to do something, even if it's a knee jerk reaction that's being pushed by an industry that's rapidly losing customers to vaping.

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#45]
These are people dying, and that's serious concern, but I'm finding it strange this is considered an "epidemic " when the death count is on par with a bad weekend in Chicago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LET'S BAN VAPING!
View Quote
Im also willing to bet that 60% of those attributed to smoking, it is not the major factor in the death but just a trait of the deceased.

Ban EVERYTHING!!?!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Non-smoker and always been, but the libertarian in me is saying who gives a rat's ass about people smoking or vaping. I've have been paying month healthcare premiums for 40 years. My parents even earlier and longer.  It's never been an issue until lately.

Perhaps it's just a strawman being used exploited by politicians?

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not really smokers or vapers that are significantly driving up healthcare.  It's the ones using expensive, monthly treatments of expensive, designer pharmaceuticals throughout their life.  Like the hemophiliac treatment that costs over $100k per month as one example.  Those were not around back then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LET'S BAN VAPING!
View Quote
Naping compnies re generally some Chinese importer or a small business that can't pay the politicians, unlike the cig companies.

More people are killed and injured by garage doors than vaping.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A large chunk of the people who developed this acute illness are under the age of 18 and vaping has been around in some form or another for 10-15 years at this point (if not longer).

The math doesn't really work out in your theory.

The most logical explanation based on the admittedly limited facts we have at this point are that this is an isolated group of incidents caused by an as yet publicly unknown factor that was recently introduced into the vaping market.  It's literally the only thing that makes sense absent any further info.
View Quote
This is the only conclusion supported by the limited data.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know whether that's valid or not, but do you think something like this is why cigarette smoke is linked to cancer yet heavy MJ smokers don't appear to show the same risk?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top