Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I don't follow *any* religions but in my experience Mormons make great employees and neighbors.  I have no opinion of the church as a whole but I can say that my individual interactions have been positive.  Especially since the folks that I've dealt with have been decent and polite enough to stop trying to proselytize when asked.  I can't say the same for some other religions.

I've been to Temple Square and have to admit that it's beautiful and the folks were super nice.  The penthouse for Jesus is an odd touch but then again some folks worship monkeys and deify cows so who am I to point fingers?

The bottom line - I don't care what you believe as long as you aren't effecting me or mine.  Calling *any* religion a cult is an insult - to my mind none of them make any more sense than any other.  They are all systems of belief based on faith - and that's cool as long as you're not trying to force your beliefs on me.

As far as guns go - conceals means concealed.  If your particular invisible friend has an issue with that then take it up with him/her/it.
View Quote
thats what you "see" when they are face to face with you.  behind your back they are throwing you under the bus for being a godless heathen that will burn in hell. that has been my experience with overly religious types. they all think they are better than the non-(inset religion of choice).
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Here's my problem with it J:

the church has effectively put me in a logic box. I want to follow the rules,  but.....

article of faith 12:We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

or

James : Faith without works is dead (I realize this is a gross oversimplification of a complex gospel topic, that's not actually about guns. It's summarized by "if I gunman comes into my church and shoots at us,  God will not save us if I don't do my best myself first. I can't count on God to help if I'm just sitting there hoping it all works out alright)

so i'm stuck. Which one do I violate?  I'm going to be a non-compliant member no matter what I do.
View Quote
I understand where you're coming from, but you might be overthinking it a little.  Your standing in the Church won't come into question if you carry into a building, even if somebody notices.  This is a matter of policy, not doctrine.

That said, it may be worth your time to ask your bishop and stake president about whether this means that the Church will assume direct responsibility for providing for the safety of the members during meetings.

Of course, the reality is that the risk of a mass shooting at one of our meeting houses remains exceedingly low, but that isn't the main point and I still think the question is worth posing to the local leaders.  Debating asking the question myself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My old boss was a Mormon and an absolutely wonderful guy. He was VERY pro 2A and told me that generally Mormons are pro 2A- something about always being persecuted.

I guess this move kinda surprises me. Maybe SJW are taking over?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are an active member of The Church, and can’t see why TheChurches lawyers have written this policy the way they did... I don’t know what to tell you, bro.

It is a catch-22.

The catch is that The Church has a layer of liability protection.

And you can follow the “policy” or not. I do my thing.

Until metal detectors get installed, it is what it is: words that are absolutely meaningless but satisfy lawyers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so i'm stuck. Which one do I violate?  I'm going to be a non-compliant member no matter what I do.
If you are an active member of The Church, and can’t see why TheChurches lawyers have written this policy the way they did... I don’t know what to tell you, bro.

It is a catch-22.

Until metal detectors get installed, it is what it is: words that are absolutely meaningless but satisfy lawyers.
Oh, I see it. But it puts me in the unfortunate and stupid position of having to guess at the meaning of all these rules, and try and decide WHICH of these rules I should and shouldn't  (wink wink) follow.

it's stupid.

ETA:@shane333 , oh I WILL be having a conversation with him about it. I suspect he's already bracing for it.  I'm also going to renew my request for a waiver on the whole "no drinking" thing.   . I  need it now more than ever. So far, he's denied it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I understand where you're coming from, but you might be overthinking it a little.  Your standing in the Church won't come into question if you carry into a building, even if somebody notices.  This is a matter of policy, not doctrine.

That said, it may be worth your time to ask your bishop and stake president about whether this means that the Church will assume direct responsibility for providing for the safety of the members during meetings.

Of course, the reality is that the risk of a mass shooting at one of our meeting houses remains exceedingly low, but that isn't the main point and I still think the question is worth posing to the local leaders.  Debating asking the question myself.
View Quote
Thanks for phrasing it this way Shane333. I too have been overthinking it a bit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Non-Issue for me, concealed means concealed. I doubt anything would be said in my ward building is someone noticed I was carrying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want to have the discussion via PM, I'm happy to do that. I'm not nuking my account while your moderator is hovering overhead with the account lock button.

If I'm going to nuke my account it'll be for something worthwhile.
View Quote
Np.

I don’t want anyone to run afoul.

“Your moderator,” is made-up.

I’ve had a back-and forth with a moderator in this very thread...

We can all be cool, bro. I don’t have any problems with anyone...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My old boss was a Mormon and an absolutely wonderful guy. He was VERY pro 2A and told me that generally Mormons are pro 2A- something about always being persecuted.

I guess this move kinda surprises me. Maybe SJW are taking over?
View Quote
As each generation becomes further and further separated by time and culture from the pioneer era, we may see a shift from the culturally pro-2A influences.  I still know tons of very pro-2A folks within the Church membership, but how strong that influence is varies from location to location.

Also, as the Church itself has become increasingly international, I suspect that it wants to avoid an image of promoting firearms among its members to avoid potential issues with governments overseas.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh, I see it. But it puts me in the unfortunate and stupid position of having to guess at the meaning of all these rules, and try and decide WHICH of these rules I should and shouldn't  (wink wink) follow.

it's stupid.
View Quote
Even worse, if you choose to carry when your church's policy forbids it, you incur all liability for its use.

And if your branch president or bishop or whoever just winks and nods about you carrying, well, there's that increased liability for all that I mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
False.

That might be their excuse, but its not true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current church leadership sees this as an insurance problem. Officially "banning" guns keeps premium costs down.
False.

That might be their excuse, but its not true.
I was speculating. They wouldn't announce that even if it were true.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing more fucking boring than the ultra religious is militant atheists
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you think it would be ok if I dressed up as an Indian and carried a bow & arrow?
View Quote
Yes, I do.

That is not illegal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

thats what you "see" when they are face to face with you.  behind your back they are throwing you under the bus for being a godless heathen that will burn in hell. that has been my experience with overly religious types. they all think they are better than the non-(inset religion of choice).
View Quote
Like you are doing now?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Current church leadership sees this as an insurance problem. Officially "banning" guns keeps premium costs down.
View Quote
From what I have heard,  the Church does not carry insurance. It is self-insured.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

it's stupid.

ETA:@shane333 , oh I WILL be having a conversation with him about it. I suspect he's already bracing for it.  I'm also going to renew my request for a waiver on the whole "no drinking" thing.   . I  need it now more than ever. So far, he's denied it.
View Quote
By all means please do talk to him.  Ask about the 'why'.  I'm betting that the reason given will be a combination of low probability of a mass shooting (which we know is an excuse as proven by the shooting at the mosque in NZ) and the potential liability (the actual reason) of somebody mishandling their firearm at Church meetings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The "basic tenets" are faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the Spirit.
View Quote
...and the Mormon prophets, and all the things they say you're required to do.

I mean, if that's what you wanna try to impress God with, whatever, but at least be totally upfront with it.

Fact is that you can't claim the LDS is some bastion of conservatism when the leadership does this. I suspect though, that eventually they'll cave to societal pressure (and the financial pressure that comes with it) and eventually let gays be bishops. May take a little while, but they've already established that they'll change doctrine in order to improve marketing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is where it gets fun. Out here "in the mission field", we ask questions like that about things like giving people rides to church...you get T-boned and somebody's kid who isn't yours is in the back seat and gets walloped (or worse)....where does that lead?

Ugly...

But you should definitely ask and return and report.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Why can't anything "Mormon" be moved to the Religion sub-forum.   There is no reason for it to be in GD.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was speculating. They wouldn't announce that even if it were true.
View Quote
Fair enough.

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't worked with every insurance company out there, but I don't know any that will cut your rates if you make your space gun free.

On the contrary, the big push now for church insurers is writing policies that covers armed congregants in a church.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I mean, if that's what you wanna try to impress God with, whatever, but at least be totally upfront with it.

Fact is that you can't claim the LDS is some bastion of conservatism when the leadership does this. I suspect though, that eventually they'll cave to societal pressure (and the financial pressure that comes with it) and eventually let gays be bishops. May take a little while, but they've already established that they'll change doctrine in order to improve marketing.
View Quote
Wow.  Project much?

Maybe you think living the commandments is a way to impress God.

Mormons take the more Biblical approach found in John 14:15 and obey the commandments because we love God.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From what I have heard,  the Church does not carry insurance. It is self-insured.
View Quote
True.

I was speculating and being somewhat facetious.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wow.  Project much?

Maybe you think living the commandments is a way to impress God.

Mormons take the more Biblical approach found in John 14:15 and obey the commandments because we love God.
View Quote
No you don't. One of the Commandments is not to add or take away from them (Deuteronomy 4:2 & 12:32).

My point is, go ahead and good luck with that, and I'm wagering that the LDS leadership isn't going to stop here. That's it. No need to feel threatened, I'm just some guy on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Lambs for slaughter.

Sad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ever condones bishops living in homosexual lifestyles, instead of being in a heterosexual marriage as a prerequisite to being a bishop, by all means you are invited to rub my face in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Smith's followers were run out because they were thugs themselves - everyone else got tired of their shit.

But carry on and let's see how many friends you can make in this thread by you being you.
View Quote
Don’t forget the counterfeiting operation, open racism and polygamy including with minor girls that were left penniless with illegitimate children :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
After the gay vote in California, a group of gay folks attempted to disrupt meetings at meeting houses.

Their goal: film themselves getting assaulted.

Sue The Church. That is one known example. There are more.

It is a catch-22.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After the gay vote in California, a group of gay folks attempted to disrupt meetings at meeting houses.

Their goal: film themselves getting assaulted.

Sue The Church. That is one known example. There are more.

It is a catch-22.

That policy isnt in any way, shape, or form liability protection. People may believe it to be so, but it isnt.
Leftward trending policies like this is exactly why I have very little to do with the catholic church anymore as well .
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Latter-Day Church is very centrally-controlled.

There is very little local autonomy on policy and procedure.

This “policy” has been in place —essentially— for a very long time.

It gives The Church legal protection, while most folks just ignore it...

I guess a local leader could ask someone to leave if they are carrying... in The Church leadership is always from the local congregation, so the folks would all know each other...

Which means the policy gets largely ignored...
View Quote
Would that be considered a sin then? Or is it considered more an administrative issue and not a moral one?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Non-Issue for me, concealed means concealed. I doubt anything would be said in my ward building is someone noticed I was carrying.
View Quote
This. Non-issue, as has been for quite some time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yay, another Mormon bashing thread! I swear we should have a Mormon bashing sub forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yay, another Mormon bashing thread! I swear we should have a Mormon bashing sub forum.
No kidding! Its getting to be a weekly event around here. So much hatred being spewed towards followers of the LDS faith; towards your fellow men? Men and women who would defend your rights and freedoms to worship as you choose. Hatred against people who have done absolutely nothing to you personally?

I ask you, What Would Jesus Do?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

After living in UT for over 5 years, I would agree 100% with this statement.  And I worked in Tech, so we're not talking about a bunch of guys (or girls) who look like Rambo.  Even the petite girly-looking women will gladly speak of their weekend at the range with their pistols and AR's before inviting you to the stakehouse or giving you a jar of salsa made at the LDS canning plant that she volunteers at.

I've lived and worked in a half a dozen states, from east to west, and haven't met a group of people so into firearms, self-protection, and non-hunting shooting.  I'm Christian, so I don't agree or believe in the particulars of their theology, but from my years living in SLC, I can say as a group of people, they make great neighbors and friends, and they've got the 2nd amendment and self-reliance things down pat.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure they are Christian too.  Christ is literally in their name
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Exactly.  I asked one of my previous bishops about this policy years ago.  His response, "If you are concealed carrying, how would anyone know?"
View Quote
God knows, and he expects me to obey council even when it’s retarded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#42]
To mock someone's religion because they are against 2A in their buildings is a little petty.

Concealed means concealed.

Some churches I went to are the same, no firearms allowed inside.

But the Holy Spirit told me otherwise..
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No you don't. One of the Commandments is not to add or take away from them (Deuteronomy 4:2 & 12:32).

My point is, go ahead and good luck with that, and I'm wagering that the LDS leadership isn't going to stop here. That's it. No need to feel threatened, I'm just some guy on the internet.
View Quote
So everything after Deuteronomy is false then? A lot of men added quite a bit after that.

Can God give further commandments through prophets?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This. Non-issue, as has been for quite some time.
View Quote
"Non issue"  Who knew it would be so easy to get arfcommers to support gun free zones?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif No kidding! Its getting to be a weekly event around here. So much hatred being spewed towards followers of the LDS faith; towards your fellow men? Men and women who would defend your rights and freedoms to worship as you choose. Hatred against people who have done absolutely nothing to you personally? https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/2016/idunno.gif

I ask you, What Would Jesus Do?
View Quote
I think most of the people in here criticizing the Church have also said how nice the followers were. My problem isn't with the membership, its with the LDS leadership and theology.

Also as someone whose family is Mormon, it isn't bashing as much as fact based criticism. I'm also happy to discuss the hypocrisy and failures of the Presbyterian Church if needed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks to the Mods.

Keeping the thread on-track...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget barring people of color from the Priesthood from the mid-1800s until 1978. .
Thanks to the Mods.

Keeping the thread on-track...
It is no surprise that the likes of him would show up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Meanwhile, we had a church security meeting with ~25 guys, at least half of which are armed, yesterday....
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think most of the people in here criticizing the Church have also said how nice the followers were. My problem isn't with the membership, its with the LDS leadership and theology.

Also as someone whose family is Mormon, it isn't bashing as much as fact based criticism. I'm also happy to discuss the hypocrisy and failures of the Presbyterian Church if needed.
View Quote
I do not agree with the Mormon Churches take on theology or their Book of Mormon.

And I have family members who are Mormon, who will not even talk or associate with me.

But I do have colleagues who are Mormon and they are really great to work with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It’s not a law in Utah. They just ask members to not carry. And everyone ignores it and carries anyways
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s not a law in Utah. They just ask members to not carry. And everyone ignores it and carries anyways
Yes it is.

53-5-710 Cross-references to concealed firearm permit restrictions.(1) A person with a permit of any kind to carry a concealed firearm may not carry a concealed firearm in the following locations:
(c) any house of worship or in any private residence where dangerous weapons are prohibited as provided in Section 76-10-530
76-10-530.  Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty.
I find it odd that "house of worship" would be included about private property rights, despite other businesses, non-profits, and other entities not getting the same explicit verbal treatment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Also, as the Church itself has become increasingly international, I suspect that it wants to avoid an image of promoting firearms among its members to avoid potential issues with governments overseas.
View Quote
This is the primary driver, in my opinion.

The legislature is still very pro-gun for the most part, and still majority practicing LDS.

However, the issue will now be used as ammunition against those Mormons who are middling on guns (or outright want them gone), and the Church's influence will be felt in our local politics as a result.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top