Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pat Rogers on people who bring their kit build guns to his courses...

"Parts guns
Parts ain't parts. If you get your stuff from gun shows and garage sales, don't expect quality I had a guy in a recent class bragging on T1 that he built his carbine for $400 and "it is just as good as..." That feternoon it wouldn't ectract. The extractor was worn snooth and then re park'd; the extractot spring was flat (no joke) and the insert was just crumbs. We replaced it all. On T3 his bolt broke in half
."

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/What_Parts_Break_in_a_Carbine_Course_____Thread_summaries_are_on_pages_48_49/118-360169/?
View Quote
As for names, Wes Grant built my 10.5" from parts and a Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How could I forget?

@Ridgerunner9876
@Kuraki
@TinSpinner
View Quote
I'm still mad at you for shitting on my idea to make barrels from diamond
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stellite has been the U.S.'s preferred liner material for small arms since WWII.  It's a cobalt-chrome alloy that it very hard and erosion-resistant.  I believe it is investment-cast (including the rifling), and the outside is ground to provide a repeatable interference fit with the steel portion of the barrel. It has very nearly the same modulus of elasticity and thermal expansion coefficient as a low-alloy steel, such as 4150, making it highly compatible.

Stellite is relatively ineffective for use in bigger guns - I have some documents that state molybdenum and tantalum are highly effective in mitigating erosion.

Stellite is shrunk-fit in barrels,  whereas I believe tantalum is explosively formed to the steel gun tube.

The problem with an AR-15 barrel is that you don't really have a lot of wall thickness to work with, especially at the extreme rear, where it is threaded.
View Quote
Is there a possibility to make barrel with multiple layers of different alloys?  For example, the inner barrel/rifling is a certain specific compound that is highly wear resistant and the outer layer is Tribaloy or cobalt or inconel that is more heat resistant?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So guns aren't a top priority for expensive research and development and giving our soldiers the best?  I think the research and development that went into the F-22 Raptor should also go into the firearms and body armor we give our soldiers on the front lines.  Time for Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems and members of congress to step up the plate for R&D for soldiers too.
View Quote
Because small arms don’t win wars.

(GD told me so)
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup, the Inconel gas tube from V Seven...
https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/v7-extreme-environment-gas-tube/

Below are comments and reviews from customers in the link above...

Quote from one of the reviews in the link above, "This gas tube has seen over 32k rounds and still looks new, besides the discoloration from heat. I've replaced the barrel, a titanium gas block, trigger, a hammer, three hammer springs, a trigger spring, and two BCGs and this inconel tube just keeps this rifle moving. I don't know when, or if I'll need to replace this tube but it will surely be with another V7 extreme environment gas tube. It's probably the best, most reliable part on the rifle. Fantastic part guys/girls! Thank you for making this available to us high round count shooters."

Quote: "Imagine if you would........your in a heavy firefight, then the enemies gas tube melts. But yours doesnt because you purchased the Extreeme Environment Gas Tube. MONEY WELL SPENT!"

Quote: "This is a must have. I'm an aerospace technologist and inconel is the same material used in the x-wing to break the sound barrier. You want this. If these came standard in the early stages of the Vietnam war there wouldn't have been bad reputations. Have you seen a stainless steel gas tube melt? Well you won't see it ever again with one of these gas tubes 100% I put my life on it. V SEVEN is breaking barriers with all their technologies, very smart people at work here!"
View Quote
$64 carbine length gas tubes. This is why steel gas tubes are still a thing.

And those "reviews" seem a tad shilly....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Uh, ya..

So, how are you going to rifle the tube? And ream the chamber? Ya a hastaloy/inconell barrel would be tits in an overbored cartridge. But how ya going to make it? Once all said and done your going to have a $2K+ barrel, that's before fitting and final install. Out of the realm of most shooters.

I've machined both materials in Question and both suck balls.
View Quote
You would lose your ass at $2K, I would put it closer to $6K for a one off. The material would cost close to $1K and I charge a lot for all the extra cussing involved working with that stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Has anyone on this thread ever built their own rifles from their own factory with their own materials?

Who are the engineers here?

Get on webcam or skype and show us your degrees Msc in engineering,  minors in mathematics etc.

We got a bunch of garage builders here with low IQ's.  lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Has anyone on this thread ever built their own rifles from their own factory with their own materials?

Get on webcam or skype and show us your degrees Msc in engineering,  minors in mathematics etc.

I'm not an engineer, just a quality director and recovering consultant (Exemplar Global Lead Auditor, ASQ C.Q.A./C.Q.P.A./C.Q.I.A.).

Quoted:

Now put that through one of Pat Rodgers and Reid Hendrichs courses and see if it can go hard core 5k rounds in 2 days without malfunctioning.

There's a reason why the U.S. military didn't ask you to build them rifles.  
I fucking wish I could go to a Pat Rodgers course, but he's been dead for what 4 years now? (RIP) But also, who's asking you to build them rifles?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$64 carbine length gas tubes. This is why steel gas tubes are still a thing.

And those "reviews" seem a tad shilly....
View Quote
And what happens when your cheap steel gas tubes malfunctions during a home invasion or during your Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse "STHF" paranoid scenario or when there's a Democrat president that you guys on here always think will happen that you prepare and buy guns for?

Members on here ask: "I'm looking for a gun for STHF and it needs to function to save my life and my family's life."

SME's response: "Use a cheap steal $5 dollar gas tube."
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm so happy this was finally moved to GD.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are 3 or 4 SME's here who disagree with me and their reasons were "it's not cost effective."

But the engineers over at V Seven who make AR 15's disagree with you and the SME's here.  Since when has the entire scientific community agreed with 3 SME's here?  Do the 3 SME's here represent all engineers globally?

Do the SME's here support the DI platform or the short stroke piston platform?

Do the SMEs here agree with the U.S. Marines switching over to the more expensive HK M27 IAR or want to keep using the Colt DI ?

The owner, engineers and tribologists at Cherry Balmz disagree with the 3 SME's here on proper lubrication for the AR 15 who thought using CLP and oil in a open operating system was the proper way to lubricate a AR 15 DI system...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/CherryBalmz-vs-SlideGlide/5-2105715/

I notice a trend here.  When a company that has a product that was designed by engineers releases it to the public you have 3 SME's here who bad mouth it.

SME's here have bad mouthed short stroke piston AR's (HK's, POF's)

SME's here bad mouth advanced lubricants engineered by people smarter then them.

Which SME's here designed, produced and built their own AR's with their own factory with their own materials?

There's a reason why Jim Fuller no longer posts on the AK forums because the garage builder "engineers" thought Rifle Dynamics were too expensive for their $600 AK's.

Again, the biggest fear of people here isn't that it's not possible, it's just their fear is the industry might move away from their precious 1960's Colt DI system.
View Quote
UHH V7 isn't about being cost effective, they are about being LIGHT, hell titanium is several times more expensive than steel but only about 50% of the weight. they make money off people who want to shed ounces NOT get better performance or price points. hell half their lineup of stuff has either "hyper lite" , "light" , or" Ultralight" IN THE DESCRIPTION...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At long last......the move.
View Quote
I've got a semi right now
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And what happens when your cheap steel gas tubes malfunctions during a home invasion or during your Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse "STHF" scenario or when there's a Democrat president that you guys on here always think will happen that you prepare and buy guns for?

Members on here ask: "I'm looking for a gun for STHF and it needs to function to save my life and my family's life."

View Quote
Has there been a rash of gas tube failures that I haven't heard about? I haven't had an issue with one on any of our guns ever after many cases of ammunition. Guess I'm on borrowed time.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And what happens when your cheap steel gas tubes malfunctions during a home invasion or during your Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse "STHF" scenario or when there's a Democrat president that you guys on here always think will happen that you prepare and buy guns for?

View Quote
Those gas tube failures are a common thing?  I need to know, in case I need a rifle for keeping me alive.

And a "steal" barrel should be free, and not $5, unless it's not really thievery in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is there a possibility to make barrel with multiple layers of different alloys?  For example, the inner barrel/rifling is a certain specific compound that is highly wear resistant and the outer layer is Tribaloy or cobalt or inconel that is more heat resistant?
View Quote
Well, the stellite-lined small armed barrels are also chrome-plated, so yes.  Many exotic aerospace alloys are preferred due to their high-temperature creep properties - they don't suffer a continuous deformation under a constant stress value.  I am not of the opinion that they are really great materials for a firearms application.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And what happens when your cheap steel gas tubes malfunctions during a home invasion or during your Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse "STHF" paranoid scenario or when there's a Democrat president that you guys on here always think will happen that you prepare and buy guns for?

View Quote
Meh. Guns are just for fun. My hands are registered with the local PD as deadly weapons. They're all I ever really need.

Besides, inside the house, a bullet out of an AR15 is pretty wimpy. Not enough range to get up to speed where it's really effective.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Meh. Guns are just for fun. My hands are registered with the local PD as deadly weapons. They're all I ever really need.

Besides, inside the house, a bullet out of an AR15 is pretty wimpy. Not enough range to get up to speed where it's really effective.
View Quote
They also run out of ammo.  You know what never runs out of ammo?  Halberds.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And this is why you are not involved in R&D with the DoD or MoD.

There are testing problems for every new piece of kit the military accepts, and it's far better than letting some goobers shoot a few rounds at a gun range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think what the military should do is right before they release a new gun to the soldiers is they should send it to Battlefield Las Vegas and let the customers shoot the heck out of it to see how durable it is, use gun ranges with high round counts as a gauge and point of reference.

There are testing problems for every new piece of kit the military accepts, and it's far better than letting some goobers shoot a few rounds at a gun range.
This post is how you know he's trolling.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's one idea that OP hasn't thought of yet.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]
If you could improve the durability of the AR platform what would you do?  Would you focus on barrel?  Receiver?  BCG?  Gas tubes? or?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They also run out of ammo.  You know what never runs out of ammo?  Halberds.
View Quote
Halberds are way too unwieldy for home defense. Shows what kind of SME you are.

I'll take my wakazashi and tanto any day for CQB.

I swear the posers around here are aggravating.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's one idea that OP hasn't thought of yet.
View Quote
Don't go stealing my IP!

It's not my fault manufacturing processes haven't caught up with my genius.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Halberds are way too unwieldy for home defense. Shows what kind of SME you are.

I'll take my wakazashi and tanto any day for CQB.

I swear the posers around here are aggravating.
View Quote
Mini Halberds.  Inconel coated mini halberds.  It's the future.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, according to some "SME's" here, guns used at Battlefield Las Vegas see higher round counts than theater weapons.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bro, in all seriousness, do you even own an AR-15? Do you own any firearms? Can you provide links where a "cheap steel gas tube malfunction[ed] during a home invasion"?

Where the fuck is Norcal, this has to be a retread or burner account. No one can be this retarded. OP had 4 posts in a year before this clusterfuck of a thread.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
*like*
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you could improve the durability of the AR platform what would you do?  Would you focus on barrel?  Receiver?  BCG?  Gas tubes? or?
View Quote
Too late for that shit. We're in the Thunderdome called GD now. Embrace it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Needs to be coated in Hasteloy or OP ain't buying it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine I already have a contract with the Department of Education for 16,000 units.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Actually, according to some "SME's" here, guns used at Battlefield Las Vegas see higher round counts than theater weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they do.  Most people's daily drivers see more miles in a year than most NASCAR racecars see in a lifetime, does that mean we should take take base model Toyota Corolla tech and implement it in racing engine?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How could I forget?

@Ridgerunner9876
@Kuraki
@TinSpinner
In my defense, I’m only a low IQ garage builder.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you need to shoot twenty-seven (27), 30-round magazines in 4 minutes to quell a home invasion, you are definitely in the wrong neighborhood, my friend.

That's that's 25 pounds of magazines, for gods sake....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Legitimately, improvements to the gas system itself (midlength and intermediate) have probably been the biggest improvements to function and reliability to date, followed by improvements to the bolt (which involved more than a simple material change).
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think HKPOF should get on the phone with Sunnen in St. Louis, then submit a request for quote for a deep hole boring machine and rifling machine for exotic alloys.  They could start with Inconel 718, that is a material with machining requirements that are well understood.

Online Metals will sell a 1.25 inch by 36 inch chunk for $666.  Probably going to need at least 100 to work out the process; that is a lot of scrap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite significantly, they’re not rifled.
Just because YOU personally don't know how to rifle them in your garage or basement doesn't mean engineers can't.
I love this place so much.

@AeroE
I think HKPOF should get on the phone with Sunnen in St. Louis, then submit a request for quote for a deep hole boring machine and rifling machine for exotic alloys.  They could start with Inconel 718, that is a material with machining requirements that are well understood.

Online Metals will sell a 1.25 inch by 36 inch chunk for $666.  Probably going to need at least 100 to work out the process; that is a lot of scrap.
And it’s still not rifled.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lets just say hypothetically that the U.S. Dept of Defense wanted to create a barrel for AR 15s out of Hastelloy, even just a one off experiment, would that barrel made out of that material be effective in durability, strength, heat resistance for fully auto fire?  Would it be able to withstand the abuse everyday at Battlefield Las Vegas for over 100,000 rounds on a single barrel?
View Quote
We don't use M4s in Full Auto as a general rule, primarily because of the limited soldier's load and the reduced hit rate from automatic fire as opposed to semi auto.

The main area where the types of barrel alloys you're talking about come into play are on belt-fed weapons, including the ones on aircraft and vehicles.

Barrel replacement is more of a very long-term consideration for individual weapons that happens at a rate that exceeds multiple enlistments for single term Soldiers and Marines in most units.

In the SOF side, that barrel replacement interval compresses down sometimes even to weeks, so the market for this type of technology is pretty small, but may have interest from that side of the house.

We've already been doing Stellite liners in M60 barrels, and as already mentioned in the thread, there are intense studies that were done in the 1950s on machine-gun barrels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Engineers can't read minds.  They can do about everything else but that, including scoring with hot wimmenz.

In this case we have a person that doesn't know the requirements, characteristics, or function of the machinery he want to Revolutionalize.
View Quote
That's why he fits right in with GD.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Of course they do.  Most people's daily drivers see more miles in a year than most NASCAR racecars see in a lifetime, does that mean we should take take base model Toyota Corolla tech and implement it in racing engine?
View Quote
And to and extent - vice versa.

I mean, why not have a commuter car that needs to have its engine rebuilt every 1000 miles.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I mean, why not have a commuter car that needs to have its engine rebuilt every 1000 miles.
View Quote
Aren't those just called Alfas?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range Rovers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

[snip]

Whoever made the last post before the thread was moved should edit and add a marker so we can see where the AR Discussions moderator decided to be mean do the Lord's work.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now I feel really stupid, I should have just suggested that we make NASCARs our daily drivers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We don't use M4s in Full Auto as a general rule, primarily because of the limited soldier's load and the reduced hit rate from automatic fire as opposed to semi auto.

The main area where the types of barrel alloys you're talking about come into play are on belt-fed weapons, including the ones on aircraft and vehicles.

Barrel replacement is more of a very long-term consideration for individual weapons that happens at a rate that exceeds multiple enlistments for single term Soldiers and Marines in most units.

In the SOF side, that barrel replacement interval compresses down sometimes even to weeks, so the market for this type of technology is pretty small, but may have interest from that side of the house.

We've already been doing Stellite liners in M60 barrels, and as already mentioned in the thread, there are intense studies that were done in the 1950s on machine-gun barrels.
View Quote
I think stellite was in common use in .50 cal aircraft machine gun barrels during WWII.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top