BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well I work with some special ops guys... and no just because they were/are special forces does not automatically make them "Firearm Experts"...
View Quote
Prove it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

See you still don't understand the issues.

Define 'Improve'.

Because that could me more durability to wear, more corrosion resistance, higher MTBF, lower weight, better accuracy, better terminal performance, more modularity, better "over the beach" performance, and/or lower cost.

All of those would be 'improvement' but you can't have ALL of them at the same time, that's what we call 'engineering tradeoffs'.

Ah yes because CEOs are so knowledgeable about engineering.  Today most CEOs are marketers not engineers - it's more profitable that way.

I saw no data in that thread comparing different brands under specified conditions telling us anything.  It was all marketing hype without an iota of data.
View Quote
Forest, you don't know mathematics or engineering.  You play too many video games.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean? Are you implying that SEALS and Delta don't understand the mechanics of DI AR's ?
View Quote
As a general rule, no they don't.  They get paid to shoot them, not design them.  Kind of like how Kyle Busch gets paid to drive the car, not design the engine or the drivetrain.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This source states that it was adopted for standard use in the Pacific Theater in 1944, on page 301:

https://books.google.com/books?id=h5xqVTVPO3QC&pg=PT308&lpg=PT308&dq=stellite+lined+machine+gun+barrels+1943&source=bl&ots=Y2TT8kEKu1&sig=ACfU3U0jhMYUaDgPtEtJp2GoOy2ykHRClw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisnqSfjNnlAhVdCTQIHb5WD6cQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Stellite&f=false

I'm not sure how adopted as standard a year or so begore the war ended = not commonly used, but whatever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This source states that it was adopted for standard use in the Pacific Theater in 1944, on page 301:

https://books.google.com/books?id=h5xqVTVPO3QC&pg=PT308&lpg=PT308&dq=stellite+lined+machine+gun+barrels+1943&source=bl&ots=Y2TT8kEKu1&sig=ACfU3U0jhMYUaDgPtEtJp2GoOy2ykHRClw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisnqSfjNnlAhVdCTQIHb5WD6cQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Stellite&f=false

I'm not sure how adopted as standard a year or so begore the war ended = not commonly used, but whatever.
By October 1944, the designs for a Stellite liner for the .50 cal and .30 cal MGs were ready and production started soon afterwards.
Last time I checked, October 1944 is in 1944.....

Definition of "not common"

common - adj. - occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.

not - the negative of.

Therefore "not common" means they were not found often or not prevalent...simple

The war ended in Aug 1945, so a little math yields the most time Stellite barrels could have been produced is 10 months.

Whereas, the conventional barrels had been to production since around 1933, and high volume production since say January 1941 when the US really started to gear up for war, that's 46 months.  Then the production of Stellite barrels did not immediately match the production rate of the conventional barrel, so even after Oct 1944, conventional barrels remained in production.  Then you have the fact that the barrels are made in some place in Ohio or New York and then have to shipped all the way out to some island in the Pacific, probably Ulithi, and then distributed to the combat units.

Yes, there, but not common.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, I am sorry that the poor engineers and experienced people did not hail you as the most brilliant mind in the room on your entrance.  But, the reasons things are the way they are were explained to you and some very good advise was given to you on how you might best answer your own questions.

To wit:

Someone even offered a free book on weapons design.

And you seem to be enamored by the CB thread, but at least the CB guys could answer technical criticisms with something approaching logic, not just a link to the next "gee-whiz" material and dismissal of those that have experience in the very field you're asking about.
View Quote
The CB guys had to explain to you like you were 4th graders on the basics of lubrication.   The supposed "SME's" here many who still use CLP or motor oil in a open operating system.  lol
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The steel/aluminum composites are interesting.
View Quote
I worked for a company in the 1990s that made all sorts of dissimilar metal clad with explosives.

We didnt just make clad, we also did explosive hydro-forming but that is not really germane to this conversation.

Making a barrel would not be too hard we used to do "pipe to billet" shots all the time. There is only one caveat, that not all metals like to play nice together. Aluminum does not like to stick to steel and in most cases an interlayer like Tantalum needs to be used. you could do a double interlayer like Copper and Titanium, but when the complexity of the shot goes up so does the failure rate.

While it is completely doable, economically feasible on a large scale it aint. Might be cool for a one off though
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a general rule, no they don't.  They get paid to shoot them, not design them.  Kind of like how Kyle Busch gets paid to drive the car, not design the engine or the drivetrain.
View Quote
But the SEALS and Delta still know more than you do about guns and also more courageous than you are.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because I don't, why don't you?  But notice no one on here proves anything after they claim they do all these engineering and top secret spec ops work?  lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you work with special ops guys?
Because I don't, why don't you?  But notice no one on here proves anything after they claim they do all these engineering and top secret spec ops work?  lol
Some of us know each other...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Halberds are way too unwieldy for home defense. Shows what kind of SME you are.

I'll take my wakazashi and tanto any day for CQB.

I swear the posers around here are aggravating.
View Quote
Fucking Weeaboo! Real men use Rapiers which are made for narrow hallways. Wonder why they fence on strips? to simulate fighting in narrow hallways.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In my defense, I’m only a low IQ garage builder.
View Quote
Same here..
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can absolutely guarantee what is said above is true, and no there is no chrome flashing on the extreme rear of the barrel.  The rear of the barrel which includes the barrel threads and the chamber is a third separate piece of the barrel called the retainer that threads in and holds the liner in place in addition to the shrink fit.   These three pieces are all assembled after the steel portion of the bore is chrome plated.
View Quote
What are you some kind of SME garage kit builder? GTFOH
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I know someone 3D printing suppressors from Inconel (legally, in case anyone was wondering).
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread I created is fun and I learned about...

So what have we learned on this thread??

Everyone on here besides me is a engineer and mathematician that has either a glorious career in engineering or currently doing all sorts of top level secret govt work.

The "SME's" on here like BURN know more about guns than Navy Seals and Delta Force do.

The self proclaimed "SME's" on here who supposedly work in high tech industries a top level engineering firms build random guns in their garages like the next guy down the street who doesn't have a engineering degree and their garage home builds as just as random and ordinary as the random guy's is down the street.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The CB guys had to explain to you like you were 4th graders on the basics of lubrication.   The supposed "SME's" here many who still use CLP or motor oil in a open operating system.  lol
View Quote
Well, then why don't you school us on this subject...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know someone 3D printing suppressors from Inconel (legally, in case anyone was wondering).
View Quote
What?  Say it ain't so?  I was told the only people who know about Inconel are the self proclaimed "SME's" on here who know more about guns than Navy Seals and Delta Force and turn down jobs from Elon Musk at Tesla.  lol
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think stellite was in common use in .50 cal aircraft machine gun barrels during WWII.
View Quote
You would be correct.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On a side note, I am a fan of Larry Vickers and the HK program.  Also, Chris Bartocci at Small Arms Solutions on YouTube is awesome too...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn_AGhwovzeWrnqHFJpYWaw/featured

There are a lot of gun guys on YouTube who are great like...

IraqVeteran8888
MrGunsnGear
Mishaco
View Quote
Do you have a bachelors in name dropping? Because it seems to be the one thing you're consistently good at.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like biblically?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I work with some special ops guys... and no just because they were/are special forces does not automatically make them "Firearm Experts"...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean non-standard DI (that's not a true DI) that gets crapped on by operators that don't understand the mechanics behind it.
I'm not sure what you mean?  Are you implying that SEALS and Delta don't understand the mechanics of DI AR's ?
This. They may be experts in the delivery of violence, but that's not an automatic qualification as a firearms expert.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But the SEALS and Delta still know more than you do about guns and also more courageous than you are.  
View Quote
Non Sequitur

First, you cannot know how courageous he is.

Second, you have stated you do not know and SEALs, etc so, how do you know how much or little they know?

Third, given your the knowledge of firearms you have displayed, or more appropriately, lack thereof, you have no idea how much he knows and are not in a position to hazard a guess.

You are awarded no points.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be.  But I take pride in not hanging off people's nuts like you have been for the entire thread, everyone from Pat Rogers to Delta to V7 to the guys that make CherryBalmz.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I worked for a company in the 1990s that made all sorts of dissimilar metal clad with explosives.

We didnt just make clad, we also did explosive hydro-forming but that is not really germane to this conversation.

Making a barrel would not be too hard we used to do "pipe to billet" shots all the time. There is only one caveat, that not all metals like to play nice together. Aluminum does not like to stick to steel and in most cases an interlayer like Tantalum needs to be used. you could do a double interlayer like Copper and Titanium, but when the complexity of the shot goes up so does the failure rate.

While it is completely doable, economically feasible on a large scale it aint. Might be cool for a one off though
View Quote
Clad welding is some cool shit. I once had to subcontract for some clad welding to produce a highly specific armor plate using chromium carbide on one side. I can't specify the full composition but I would not describe it as ... practical or affordable for that application.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Far fucking from it. LOL!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What?  Say it ain't so?  I was told the only people who know about Inconel are the self proclaimed "SME's" on here who know more about guns than Navy Seals and Delta Force and turn down jobs from Elon Musk at Tesla.  lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to break this to you but... the guy doing it was, in fact, an SF guy who retired but continues as a SOCOM advisor on material technology. Sorry.

He was also a genuine body stacker and now has several screws loose. He is in his mid 50s and married to a 24 year old hottie, so he has that going for him.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because I recently retired after more than two decades of doing so. Also, as someone pointed out, several of us know one another. That makes your antics that much more entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you have a bachelors in name dropping? Because it seems to be the one thing you're consistently good at.
View Quote
I'm a big fan of...
Larry Vickers
Scott Bartocci (Small Arms Solutions)
Mishaco
Iraqveteran8888
sootch00
Garandthumb
MAC Military Arms Channel
Mrgunsngear
hickok45

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I used to work in the research department of Haynes International, which is the company that owns the HASTELLOY trademark.

First thing to know is that Hastelloy is a brand name, it doesn't connotate any particular alloy composition, other than all the alloys sold under that name are nickel based.  There have been at least dozen Hastelloy alloy compositions sold.  Hastelloy X is rather an old one, the patents are long expired and it has become genericized on the market.

The same goes for INCONEL, which is a trademark of the Special Metals Corporation.  There are lots of different Inconel alloy compositions on the market.

If you are going to ask questions like "which is better, Hastelloy or Inconel", you need to specify which ones.  Hastelloy C-276 will blow Inconel 600 out of the water in a hot, aqueous acid application, but would likely suffer in comparison to Inconel 686.
View Quote
I spent many days at the Haynes 4-high rolling mill in Kokomo.
But that was to have various titanium alloys rolled to plate and coil.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You would be correct.
View Quote
No, they were only cleared for production in October 1944.

As stated earlier, there, but not "common".
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And some are just unaccomplished trolls by a different name.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
More like intimately!

Ok, and some pics cause..

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. You think snake eaters know more about firearms than gunsmiths?

I suppose you think cops are gun experts too?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Could be.  But I take pride in not hanging off people's nuts like you have been for the entire thread, everyone from Pat Rogers to Delta to V7 to the guys that make CherryBalmz.
View Quote
You''re just good at hanging off the fake SME's nu** here.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever seems most titillating.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I hate to break this to you but... the guy doing it was, in fact, an SF guy who retired but continues as a SOCOM advisor on material technology. Sorry.
View Quote
My post was being sarcastic, it wasn't a shot at you.  I believe you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Kudos to the guys who had the patience to offer some wisdom early on.  The OCD replies sound like hog molars grinding nacre.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s a picture of RictusGrin and myself draped over each other.

I mean, it’s Thursday now and it was Thursday then, so it was totally cool.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol. You think snake eaters know more about firearms than gunsmiths?

I suppose you think cops are gun experts too?
View Quote
Then why can't you design and build a gun that's no better than the random garage builder?  lol
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, I know some dumbasses and some geniuses on both sides of the civ/mil line, when it comes to defense tech. Oddly, I don't think I have ever met a Colonel or above that fell into the genius category. I never realized that until just now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#40]
If you guys are gun "experts" do you have any patents?  What firearms manufacturers have you worked for?

Did any of you come up with LMT's patents?  Or Colt's patents?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You complete me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I actually machined the outside crust of a slab of Hastelloy X back in the early 80’s and did some contour machining on it as well. It was going to be used in a cryogenic(liquid nitrogen) test scenario. That’s as much as I can or will say about the actual part. Was some really tough material. I used a big face mill on Mazak vertical and ran the spindle as slow as it would go and fed it at about 50 IPM. It made beautiful #6 chips.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

To be fair, I know some dumbasses and some geniuses on both sides of the civ/mil line, when it comes to defense tech. Oddly, I don't think I have ever met a Colonel or above that fell into the genius category. I never realized that until just now.
View Quote
I agree.

If you ever went over to Garanthumb's youtube channel, he pokes fun at the comments section under his videos of all the teenagers who think they're Navy Seals or know more than the actual engineers who designed the guns he tests out on his channel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not judging.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't dropped a single name in the entire thread.  Feel free to continue to have Larry Vickers be your training wheels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I haven't dropped a single name in the entire thread.  Feel free to continue to have Larry Vickers be your training wheels.
View Quote
Larry is the MAN!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you guys are gun "experts" do you have any patents?  What firearms manufacturers have you worked for?

Did any of you come up with LMT's patents?  Or Colt's patents?
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#49]
So who else on here knows more about AR 15's than Navy Seals, Delta and Green Berets do?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Clad welding is some cool shit. I once had to subcontract for some clad welding to produce a highly specific armor plate using chromium carbide on one side. I can't specify the full composition but I would not describe it as ... practical or affordable for that application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not the same place but I remember doing a couple test shots like that for DoD.

We were supplied with a piece of metal 12"x12"x1" and told that they wanted it bonded to some grade III Ti with no interlayer. They wouldnt say what it was or really give the engineers any specs for it other than hardness, ductility/heat info.

We ended up doing a "hot shot" with it, it got put it in the heat treat oven and the rest of the shot was set up out in the site. It was removed from the oven, raced out to the site in a pickup, set, and shot within 2 minutes.

It somewhat stuck to the Ti, but the bond was shit and it shattered like a safety glass window. Whatever it was could not take the pressures and angles involved.

.Gov still paid though  
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top