Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most would sell their 40 acres and a mule for a Mustang 5.0 with some dubs.
View Quote
It will have to be a really shitty Mustang with dubs.  40 acres of Arizona scrub and a mule works out to be less than $12,000.  

https://www.landwatch.com/Apache-County-Arizona-Land-for-sale/pid/25075168

https://www.equinenow.com/mule.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In what would be one of the biggest shakeups of the U.S. food-stamp program in its five-decade history, President Donald Trump is proposing to slash cash payments and substitute them with "100 percent American grown food" given to recipients.

The changes, outlined Monday in Trump’s budget proposal, would reshape the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, which supports roughly one in eight Americans, by reducing cash spending by about one-third from current levels.

The plan is part of an effort to reform SNAP and save a projected $214 billion over a decade. It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would "include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish," according to the proposal.

The so-called USDA America’s Harvest Box "is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is home grown by American farmers and producers," Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement. The program would provide food-stamp recipients with "the same level of food value" as the current system, Perdue added.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/trump-budget-swaps-food-stamps-for-100-percent-american-food
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that I'm not gay, but I think I love that man.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, yes, I'm sick and tired of seeing this welfare leeches picking lobster from the lobster tank and steaks at $15 a pound. Only to pay with a EBT card, while wheeling out in a new Cadillac SUV.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
open ended purchases with food stamps are bullshit...

the ONLY things they should buy is, rice, beans, potatoes, and cheap assed chicken.   that's fucking it.  zero lobster, zero soda, zero junk food,  zero cash , etc.

rice, beans, potatoes, and fucking chicken.
View Quote
Amen, brother buck!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you ever try to trade a box of food for drugs?
It's a racist idea if I've ever seen one.
Probably have to pass a drug test to get the F'ing box too!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Give them a box full of recipes.
View Quote
Give 'em Dick In a Box.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Sounds like they still would be able to get the good stuff, steak, chicken, fish.
View Quote
Hard to trade canned chicken for drugs though.  Baby formula is always a hot commodity.  Wonder if that will be in the box.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My mom was visiting me here in rich and vibrant SETX from the land of the real Amish. She was treated to see a pore n starvin guy on a rascal buy $176.90 of snow crab legs and steak on his EBT card, or whatever the TX equivalent is.

She always thought it was a myth.

Give those fuckers whole chickens. Teach them to make it 2-3 meals on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Great idea, MAGA!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Butt hurt EBT folks in the future.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Love the idea, but it will never happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, no grape soda, doritos, and Kool cigarrettes
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
while looking for a funny GIF for this thread, I found this.
sort of related (since it is a grocery store) , so I am posting it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably canned tuna and chicken.  Steaks will likely be flank or chuck steak, not T-bone, ribeye, sirloin, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Sounds like they still would be able to get the good stuff, steak, chicken, fish.
Probably canned tuna and chicken.  Steaks will likely be flank or chuck steak, not T-bone, ribeye, sirloin, etc.
Flank steak ain’t cheap bro. It’s now a hipster cut.

This would boost American farmers too?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
This really is the perfect solution to the problem.  Gets back to the root of the issue - providing food - and cuts the opportunity for abuse to near zero.  Not a doubt in my mind that at least half the "needy" people on the program today would suddenly be not so needy within months of implementing the change.

It'll be kinda interesting to hear the left's arguments against it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Mal_means_bad: Seeds and a hoe.
Gunslinger808: No, most of the problem is too many hoes getting the seed.
Nooobie: Nice
View Quote
If you're married to the biological father, and he is living in the house you get an few extra frozen fillets of Alaskan salmon every fortnight.

I don't mind an adult drinking, smoking, and drugging for recreation; but I don't think you should be using tax money (deficit spending) if you can afford to party.

Oh, and there should be a physical fitness test children should be required to satisfy in each grade of public school too. /oldman-rant
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Dat would be racist! Poor people ain't got kitchens to cook food with
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The great fucking part is everyone will know who is on food assistance when they get their .gov food box dropped on their front porch.

Dude in the dorm next to you getting a delivery would be ashamed out of it.  Cant imagine all the students at NYU getting their govt cheese.

Sorry no more pop, twinkees, 2 litre cokes. etc.  MAGA indeed!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
crashburnrepeat: this is not a bad idea.  We pay farmers subsidies NOT to grow food, and we pay welfare recipients to buy food.
Pay the farmers to grow food, and use it for the welfare needs.
it's how the mormon church does food welfare, and it works really well.

40xb: I have done many, many hours of service at the storehouse when I was a youth. I filled orders all the time, stocked shelves, and unloaded trucks. My parents would drive the delivery truck to all the pick up places for folks to get their food. Hell, we even did canning there for people back in the day.
I fully believe that it was worth it and don't regret my time spent there helping.
View Quote
That sounds pretty cool 40xb.  You were doing that in the LDS church?  What state were you doing that in?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been saying for a looooong time that food stamps should be modeled after WIC.  If you are going to get handouts, you should get only what you need and only when you need it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  This is just taking that one step further.  I like the idea but I don't see it passing.  First off, you are taking money out of retailers pockets.  They don't like that.  Government will essentially have to set prices and many sellers wouldn't be able to compete with larger sellers.  And the last thing we need is the government awarding huge contracts to feed 12.5% of the population.  We'll have contracts for oranges awarded to growers in Alaska because they greased the right wheels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I love it. Fraud will go down and the recipients of these boxes will finall6 get nutritious food instead of twinkies and grape drink.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This really is the perfect solution to the problem.  Gets back to the root of the issue - providing food - and cuts the opportunity for abuse to near zero.  Not a doubt in my mind that at least half the "needy" people on the program today would suddenly be not so needy within months of implementing the change.

View Quote
Trump really is a genius. This is going to be like the Schumer Shutdown, the Pelosi "crumbs," and the Pelosi eight hour screed again.

The leftist - politicians and media alike - will again be arguing in favor of the left's base and against the interests of the tax paying American citizens.

FWIW, I've seen the abuse first hand too. A very nicely dressed professional black woman paying for two carts of groceries with food stamps and then loading them into her Mercedes, the dude buying Cheetos with food stamps, giving the US dollar change to his bud to go back in the store to buy a 12 pack, the broad driving a nicer and newer car than me coming into the convenience store grabbing a 2 litre bottle of Coke, a couple of Giant Reeses cups packages, a half gallon of milk and a French bread pizza, giving the clerk crap when he told her she didn't have enough on her EBT card and then leaving the milk and French bread pizza in favor of the coke and chocolate....
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Seriously, this is genius!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone could get this passed it would be Trump, but I doubt it will happen.

It would be great.  I wish we could switch entirely to providing for hungry Americans by charity, but the federal government would never allow that.

I used to be much more of a hardliner but I've seen with my own eyes there really are people out there who struggle.  I'm not willing to turn my back on hungry Americans.  I'm sure there are enough people who feel that way to entirely replace the food stamp program without a dollar of tax money.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#29]
But Trump will do a 180 and show his liberal colors any day now

We need a MAGA smiley
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hard to trade canned chicken for drugs though.  Baby formula is always a hot commodity.  Wonder if that will be in the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baby formula is on WIC so it would require changing that also but WIC is ran a hell of a lot better than food stamps.
There should audits done on it.
Honestly it's 2018. No real reason a query can't be done on the system to see what is being bought. You spend all your money on junk food. You're cut off.
If you're young and fit you should have to do some type of community service. It doesn't have to be picking up trash either. It could be tending the gates at a local HS football game or something and the school admin signs off on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No shit especially since drug dealers will trade drugs for food stamps now.

Quoted:
Probably have to pass a drug test to get the F'ing box too!

That would be too awesome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It would be great.  I wish we could switch entirely to providing for hungry Americans by charity, but the federal government would never allow that.

I used to be much more of a hardliner but I've seen with my own eyes there really are people out there who struggle.  I'm not willing to turn my back on hungry Americans.  I'm sure there are enough people who feel that way to entirely replace the food stamp program without a dollar of tax money.
View Quote
I was in law school when the Clinton welfare reforms went through [really the Gingrich welfare reforms] and the leftist profs and students predicted people starving in the streets. They new I'd be cheering in favor, and I did, except the 5yr lifetime limit. There are Americans who have no hope of getting their acts together to be productive citizens, God did not give them the tools to start with.

FWIW, Its my understanding that the Clinton law was never actually changed, just ignored and reinterpreted by zero.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Government cheese and this is how they used to had out welfare before food stamps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Welfare reform is going to be a tough nut to crack.  The left will be quick to point out that reducing/removing entitlement programs equates to yanking food from innocent babies' mouths, and manipulating the public's sympathies and emotions is one of their most highly polished skills.  An approach like this is probably the only way it can even start to happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
It won’t just be the left. Big business will stand to lose a lot from a plan like this and will be all over the Republicans to make sure it never sees the light of day.

I love the idea of this. But it ain’t happening
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Make gubmint cheese great again! Seriously though, that and the canned pork we used to get when I was a poor little whelp were sooooo delicious.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#38]
In before the inner cities are set on fire and Flaco starts robbing 7-11 for junk food!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey if we are feeding them we might as well dictate what they are eating. Come up with something like "HelloFresh / BlueApron" but more simple and cheaper for people on the benefits, its everything for a full meal in a box/bag, all the spices and stuff too all you gotta do is chop it up and cook it. Good healthy meals, not just cheap slop, and make it so they pick it up at their local city/town hall or welfare office once a week. Could be done for a fraction of what SNAP and current EBT programs cost.

But it will be called racist because they cant buy sodas and snickers bars for their 19 kids and they will say its not enough food and they will say "dey gonna starve" while weighing 400 pounds. How is Jamal supposed to survive on nothing but oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, a school lunch in the afternoon, and chicken with rice and a vegetable at dinner?
View Quote
Good idea. Could even have places like Walmart or other approved vendors prepackage the approved ready to cook meals/groceries for in store pickup.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe Trump can assign fathers too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Holy Poop, talk about upsetting the Apple cart. The Dems are going to wish they hadn’t brought up the Russia, Russia, Russia BS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Winning like Charlie Sheen on tiger blood!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Something needs to change!!!

I have noticed something in the inner-city ministry that I pastor.  Everyone (and I mean it is everyone)  that says that they get SNAP openly talks of selling them. It is a matter of life for them.  They will discuss selling them to pay rent and to pay bills. They also openly speak selling them to buy things like TVs, phones, shoes, everything you can imagine.  The flip side is that the elderly and disable talk of buying them to but food cheap(30-50% on the dollar).

And yes, I adamantly preach and teach against these crimes.
View Quote
THANK YOU for your service.

Think on this.   With the money saved from the graft we could extend the program to include all seniors (means tested of course). Over 65, income at poverty level.......  Here's your meals for the week.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Make Milk Powdered Again!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is powdered milk still a thing?

Make Milk Powdered Again!
Ugh.. My mother would try to fool us by diluting real milk with water and powdered milk and we could always still taste the difference. I would never drink that stuff if I had a choice. Thankfully I do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Amen, brother buck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the ONLY things they should buy is, rice, beans, potatoes, and cheap assed chicken.   that's fucking it.  zero lobster, zero soda, zero junk food,  zero cash , etc.

Amen, brother buck!
100% agree.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Modeling it off of the British Ration Program of WW2 is kind of what this sounds like. Provide healthier, nutritious foods with very little frills and low cost. The meat ration would of course be a bit larger because ‘Murica! It would at least start to tackle the food stamps problem and obesity problem among the somehow perpetually poor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Is it actually cheaper?  I had a food box delivery service for a while and dumped it because for the price it was cheaper to go to the store and buy it myself.  If we're talking about making the program cheaper, adding packaging and delivery cost to the program doesn't make it cheaper.  
Congress could add whatever category of food items to the restricted SNAP program that they wanted, and have expressly NOT banned unhealthy food.  The easy change is to make SNAP match the WIC rules.  But if his goal is to shame abusers by making sure all their free food is labeled "GOVERNMENT ___", then yes, they'd have to remove the ability to pick what you get.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Would still leave homeless with no place to store or cook meals. How to solve that?
View Quote
EBT doesn't allow them to get take away food anyway. "The homeless" have that problem now.

Round em up and bus them to Mexico.  That will solve the problem.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
can you tell me more about the chicken fucking part?  will that come in the box, or can I redeem that item in-store?  not asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Butt hurt EBT folks in the future.
View Quote
I cant fuckin wait. So tired of being behind the carts filled with coke and pepsi ringing up for $200 as the skank swipes her EBT.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top