Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just saw a chart showing deaths vs elevation. Seriously, how shitty would it be to die at base camp??
View Quote
I did a tour where we rode some old ass enfield motorcycles from Kathmandu to base camp one year. We were adjusting the carbs sometimes 3-4 times a day on the bikes. I had a fucking headache from hell mmost of the days.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you think Everest climbers are crazy, check out K2
View Quote
This
Almost as high
Alot harder to climb
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Snow melts well up there. The sun is really intense, and even on the snow fields it can get hot during daylight hours.

The stuff you see blowing off the top of Everest isn't snow for the most part, it is evaporation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a values thing...

Is your life long dream truly reached if you stepping over desperate mountain brothers to get there? If so, I don't give a fuck about your story or you.

"I gave up my summit (to try) to save someone's life in the death zone," is someone who I want to hear from and be around.

In Sharp's case, he might have been unsalvagable.
View Quote
Everest is still king.....  Just because Doctors and lawyers have climbed it, doesn’t mean it’s not the highest point on earth.

Is the Ironman World Championship in Kona any less challenging and prestigious because amateur lottery winners get to race it without qualifying?  Fuck no...I’ve done six marathons and a full Ironman, and Kona is still the king.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
After the ice fall killed all those sherpas, more people are climbing Everest from the Chinese side.

Besides, you can now drive your car to the Everest base camp (on the Chinese side).

Turn left to go to Everest:

Youtube: Driving in China/Drive to Mt.Everest Base Camp

Mt. Everest Climb from North Side 2016
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When they say 40 people passed him, they were on their way up, including a group with a huge amount of support that was supporting summiting the first double amputee. Based on the initial reports, they all basically stepped over the guy on their way to their own personal glory. (Further details suggest Sharp was beyond help, but those saying so were the ones under scrutiny)

My friends and I were rather disgusted when we heard the news reports on our the door to ski. We mocked the heartlessness by staging a photo on a 13er (that's a 13,xxx ft peak, not an arfcom 13er) where I wore an "oxygen" mask and laid down desperately reaching up for help toward my friend who feigned pissing on me.

After we took the picture we prepared to go up the ridge we were to ski. A guy coming down the ridge asked us WTF are you guys doing?

Turns out he'd been to Everest 4x. He hadn't heard what happened, but was horrified when we told him.
View Quote
You may know what it's like to exert yourself at 13,000 feet plus but I bet the majority of those outraged at the thought of leaving the guy to die liken it to simply pulling their car over on the side of the road and getting out to ask if the person in the accident needs you to call 911

I bet 75% of today's population couldn't drag a guy covered in gear across the highway if asked.

How , regardless of motives or greed, do you expect folks to successfully rescue someone from those locations.

If the code was SAVE EVERYONE the mountain could turn into one giant recovery party

There is a NYT about recovering the 4 dead Indian climbers who refused to heed the turn around time.   It took thousands of dollars and multiple teams of sherpas in good weather to do it.

How someone could think a barely functioning climber from the US or Europe could do it is beyond me.

Anyone who claims greed has never and will never drag 200lbs down that mountain.   They are just being mouthy to be mouthy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live in WA state and we have Mount Rainier ( I think its around 15,000 feet and the highest in the state )- and yea every couple years someone dies up there due to some extreme accident / unforseen problem while trying to ascent the summit.
View Quote
It's more like 6-7 deaths a year on Rainier on average lately...
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You may know what it's like to exert yourself at 13,000 feet plus but I bet the majority of those outraged at the thought of leaving the guy to die liken it to simply pulling their car over on the side of the road and getting out to ask if the person in the accident needs you to call 911

I bet 75% of today's population couldn't drag a guy covered in gear across the highway if asked.

How , regardless of motives or greed, do you expect folks to successfully rescue someone from those locations.

If the code was SAVE EVERYONE the mountain could turn into one giant recovery party

There is a NYT about recovering the 4 dead Indian climbers who refused to heed the turn around time.   It took thousands of dollars and multiple teams of sherpas in good weather to do it.

How someone could think a barely functioning climber from the US or Europe could do it is beyond me.

Anyone who claims greed has never and will never drag 200lbs down that mountain.   They are just being mouthy to be mouthy.
View Quote
I am in fairly good shape, and I hike to 4000 feet or so.  I pretty much know if I even sprain my ankle im in a fucking heap of trouble.  and its warm and dry.  I would have a hard time getting my 50lb kid down from up there if I had to carry him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes yes I am aware of the difference between very high altitude vs extreme altitude (vs death zone)

the controversey when the original reports came out were that he was mobile but ignored by ascending teams

later reports were that many teams just didn't notice him and when someone finally noticed him he couldnt stand even with support, making it very risky even if you had 6 or 12 sherpas with you

In fact, it took 6 sherpas to get a stumbling disabled Turkish girl down from (3rd step?) above Sharp to camp the same day. They were already occupied on the way down. Many question what if they had helped on their way up?

There was another man named Hall who was rescued from above Sharps position, but again he could (kinda) walk. Everyone who came down said that Sharp couldn't walk even with help. That means death is all but expectant.

This is a good read: https://www.outsideonline.com/1909966/over-top
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After the ice fall killed all those sherpas, more people are climbing Everest from the Chinese side.

Besides, you can now drive your car to the Everest base camp (on the Chinese side).

http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com/files/2016/05/paved-road-everest-base-camp-tibet.jpg

Turn left to go to Everest:
http://www.watchtheworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/photo-base-camp-everest-china-1.jpg

Youtube: Driving in China/Drive to Mt.Everest Base Camp

Mt. Everest Climb from North Side 2016
View Quote
Leave it to the Chinese they would probably build a tram to the top of Everest.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can take it a step further, too.  ANY deviation from your plan and preparation can be deadly.  When someone decides to summit with zero support or O2, he puts everyone around him at risk if the status quo becomes "everyone must be assisted", because even the smallest level of assistance increases your risk for failure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Everest is still king.....  Just because Doctors and lawyers have climbed it, doesn’t mean it’s not the highest point on earth.

Is the Ironman World Championship in Kona any less challenging and prestigious because amateur lottery winners get to race it without qualifying?  Fuck no...I’ve done six marathons and a full Ironman, and Kona is still the king.
View Quote
Everest is only "king" in terms of MSL altitude and the fact that non-climbers and non-followers of the sport know about it. K2 is THE KING for high altitude CLIMBERS (as in people who climb for a living and have the respect of other climbers). These days, most climbers of note go for harder routes on lesser summits. But make no mistake, Everest is no K2 when it comes to commitment and prestige among climbing groups. If you say "I climbed Everest"... you get a "cool". If you say "I summited K2", then you get someone's real attention. Doesn't mean that Everest isn't a worthy summit. And most climbers who've summited K2 have summited Everest. But that's the point, many more have summited Everest than K2. And that's not solely because Everest is far more famous. It's also because climbing K2 is a bitch and there have been years where NO ONE summited K2. You can't say that about Everest. K2 is more technically challenging, it's far harder to reach than Everest, and it sits at a higher latitude... so the weather is colder/harsher. I also love the other peaks in the Baltoro region.... such as Broad Peak, Masherbrum IV, etc. The only peak in the Solukumbu that has captivated me much is Ama Dablam (not because of technical difficulty or altitude, but because it's beautiful). Kangchenjunga is another favorite of mine. I would rather climb any of these peaks listed. Why? Because their's not the same "touristy" image associated with them. Climbing Everest is hard, and can be deadly. But it's "expected", "routine" etc. It just doesn't capture my imagination like the other great 8000ers. This is all my own personal taste and opinion, and is only based on a lifetime of fascination with these peaks (to repeat, I used to do a  lot of ice climbing and some small time peak bagging... that is all).

Anyways... I still stand by my belief that K2 IS THE UNDISPUTED KING of mountains. The "mountain of mountains". Perfection created by the artistic brush of nature.

My favorite stunning view of K2 from the north:

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, regarding K2, and regarding UNSELFISHNESS in the high mountains... you need to know the story of the 1953 American team that went to K2. They proved that you don't have to be a selfishly driven asshole to create a beautiful story in the mountains. They did things right. They lived with honor and are honored because of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_American_Karakoram_expedition
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also, regarding K2, and regarding UNSELFISHNESS in the high mountains... you need to know the story of the 1953 American team that went to K2. They proved that you don't have to be a selfishly driven asshole to create a beautiful story in the mountains. They did things right. They lived with honor and are honored because of it.

View Quote
HOLY. SHIT.

Well, after reading that, I just bought K2 The Savage Mountain by Dr. Houston
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Were it not for Schoening and his ice axe, I'm not sure I'd have this photo.

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess it is if you're talking about several hundred extra feet (over K2). But K2, Annapurna, Nanga Parbat, and several other 8,000ers are far more treacherous. They just don't have the allure to some because you can't say "I climbed Mount Everest". But as someone who used to do a fair bit of climbing (mostly ice climbing), I can safely say that I'd MUCH rather be able to say that I climbed one of those "mountaineer's mountains", than "I climbed that mountain that those couple of thousand doctors, lawyers, postal carriers, socialites, etc" climbed. And for that matter, I'd much rather be able to say that I trekked solo across Antarctica than that I'd climbed Everest. I'm serious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

29,000+ feet.
Mt. Everest is in a place by itself.
Over the years there has been speculation that Mallory & Irvine actually summited the mountain, but both died on the way down, based on location of some of their gear, their bodies, plus sightings of them the day of their climb.
The allure is there. But having too many friends have issues with altitude climbs, I decided early out that Scotland's Munros & New England's Whites were enough challenge for me.
It's easy to see if in other's eyes. I talked a few folks out of summit attempts in the Whites when weather was ugly & iffy. Hard granite is no place to be in high winds & driving snow.
I guess it is if you're talking about several hundred extra feet (over K2). But K2, Annapurna, Nanga Parbat, and several other 8,000ers are far more treacherous. They just don't have the allure to some because you can't say "I climbed Mount Everest". But as someone who used to do a fair bit of climbing (mostly ice climbing), I can safely say that I'd MUCH rather be able to say that I climbed one of those "mountaineer's mountains", than "I climbed that mountain that those couple of thousand doctors, lawyers, postal carriers, socialites, etc" climbed. And for that matter, I'd much rather be able to say that I trekked solo across Antarctica than that I'd climbed Everest. I'm serious.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
It is THE tallest.
Not the coldest, not the hardest, not the most dangerous.
Just the tallest. A place entirely by itself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a bad example. It seems that most experts agree that the entire expedition would have died trying to save Gilkey if he hadn't fallen to his death.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I often wonder what it takes to do things like this. As a scientist I have an interest in a ton of things I don't actually do, and mountain climbing is one of them. For me, it's drawing parallels to things that I do regularly.

When I was in the Austrian Alps snowboarding, I was at 11,000 feet, above the clouds, and I was out of breath when I bent over to strap in. Sure, I wasn't prepared as I live close to sea level, but I can't even comprehend being 17,000 feet above that.

When I fly and the aircraft has those seatback computers, I'll occasionally check where we are. Sometimes I see that we're at 28,000 feet, where it's -30 or something like that. I am reminded that the summit of Everest is actually higher than that.

I watched Meru, and was taken most not by the insane route of the climb (it was) but by the fact that they were suspended on the side of a mountain - in a portable tent - for days. That's just insane.

I am more than happy to get my adrenaline rush elsewhere - SCUBA, for example - but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the insane aspect of mountaineering.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/12th_Pitch_Bivy-431569.jpg
View Quote
OK... tell the story
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember seeing this video years ago:

Ueli Steck New Speed Record Eiger 2015

And didn't realize this until pulling above vidoe:

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

HOLY. SHIT.

Well, after reading that, I just bought K2 The Savage Mountain by Dr. Houston
View Quote
Great! Good stuff. Have read it several times. I also dig Jim Curran's and Ed Veisters' books on the 1986 and 2008 K2 disasters.

I highly recommend the book Fallen Giants for a great overview on the golden age of Himalayan mountaiineering. It's my favorite book on the Himalaya.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
It is THE tallest.
Not the coldest, not the hardest, not the most dangerous.
Just the tallest. A place entirely by itself.
View Quote
And yet... very few people who actually follow climbing care anymore.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a bad example. It seems that most experts agree that the entire expedition would have died trying to save Gilkey if he hadn't fallen to his death.
View Quote
A bad example of what? A climbing TEAM putting their humanity above summiting?

Because that was my point. They put their own lives on the line for their fellow man.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember seeing this video years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y

And didn't realize this until pulling above vidoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6GoRKvFWKQ
View Quote
When I was young,  Messner was my climbing idol. Then it was Alex Lowe. And lastly, it was Ueli. Bums me out seriously that the latter two are no longer with us.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am in fairly good shape, and I hike to 4000 feet or so.  I pretty much know if I even sprain my ankle im in a fucking heap of trouble.  and its warm and dry.  I would have a hard time getting my 50lb kid down from up there if I had to carry him.
View Quote
My first exposure to altitude was at the La Paz, Bolivia airport (elevation 13, 332 ft) in 1992. A quarter mile hike flat wore my ass out (and I was in excellent shape at the time). Needed O2 bottle to sleep at night for the first two nights.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I went for 37 days in 2012 on a whim.  I had the time off from work after I was removed from the schedule so a new hire could be trained.  I left the day after I found out I would have that much time off work.  I did zero prep.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I didn't summit and I had no intention to do so.  I made it up to just over 6500 meters without any problems and with zero oxygen or assistance.  I carried my own gear and food and I was solo.  Was it smart?  Probably not.  Was it one of the best trips of my life?  Undoubtedly.  It's hard to explain.  You're either a mountain person or you're not.  I'd go again if given the time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My first exposure to altitude was at the La Paz, Bolivia airport (elevation 13, 332 ft) in 1992. A quarter mile hike flat wore my ass out (and I was in excellent shape at the time). Needed O2 bottle to sleep at night for the first two nights.
View Quote
I don't sleep well above 14K and the acetazolemide makes everything taste like metal
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went for 37 days in 2012 on a whim.  I had the time off from work after I was removed from the schedule so a new hire could be trained.  I left the day after I found out I would have that much time off work.  I did zero prep.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I didn't summit and I had no intention to do so.  I made it up to just over 6500 meters without any problems and with zero oxygen or assistance.  I carried my own gear and food and I was solo.  Was it smart?  Probably not.  Was it one of the best trips of my life?  Undoubtedly.  It's hard to explain.  You're either a mountain person or you're not.  I'd go again if given the time.
View Quote
Gonna need a little more info, new guy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#29]
In Current News:

Polish climbing team launches search and rescue for two missing climbers @7300m on NANGA PARBAT... IN WINTER... Nanga Parbat is deadlier than K2 percentagewise. The Poles located one climber, but the other is presumed dead.

Those Polish rescuers detached from the elite Polish climber team attempting to summit K2 in Winter. K2 is the only 8000m peak that has not been summited in Winter. They fucking came from another mountain.

HOLY. SHIT.

That is humanity above summit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A bad example of what? A climbing TEAM putting their humanity above summiting?

Because that was my point. They put their own lives on the line for their fellow man.
View Quote
No, they were on their way to suicide before he died. That is not a good thing. Noble self-sacrifice dying to save an unsaveable victim is not noble or smart.

If your point is that the Everest climbers should have died to try to save another when they know it is not going to work, you are simply wrong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, they were on their way to suicide before he died. That is not a good thing. Noble self-sacrifice dying to save an unsaveable victim is not noble or smart.

If your point is that the Everest climbers should have died to try to save another when they know it is not going to work, you are simply wrong.
View Quote
There is debate. Members of that expedition felt could do it.

I understand rescuer safety and making no more victims... but these were teammates. You don't give up on your teammates if there is a chance and no other options. By some codes of ethics, you go down with them. On the  same code, one teammate may have sacrificed himself with the idea he was saving the others.

But also look at what I posted right before your post... not teammates... just fellow climbers... from another mountain!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There is debate. Members of that expedition felt could do it.

I understand rescuer safety and making no more victims... but these were teammates. You don't give up on your teammates if there is a chance and no other options. By some codes of ethics, you go down with them. On the  same code, one teammate may have sacrificed himself with the idea he was saving the others.

But also look at what I posted right before your post... not teammates... just fellow climbers... from another mountain!
View Quote
Good job.
On Everest the "Death Zone" is called that for a reason.  One simply has no resources to try to save another and live. To condemn others from a distance is just not fair.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm happy to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good job.
On Everest the "Death Zone" is called that for a reason.  One simply has no resources to try to save another and live. To condemn others from a distance is just not fair.
View Quote
Uh... you were commenting on a K2 rescue at 7500m within a team already present being suicide, which members of that expedition disagreed with. I just gave an example of a rescue at 7300m on Nanga Parbat with rescuers coming by helicopter from 100 miles away then climbing up.

There are examples of rescue from the Death Zone on Everest too, not always successful (although they require some level mobility on the part of the victim).

Every situation is different, and there are ethical gray zones, but the philosophy of every man for himself if there is added risk to assist is not an ethic mountaineers' mountaineers ascribe to.

Humanity over summit as @Red_Label put it...
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm happy to answer your questions.
View Quote
Got pictures? Did you just fly to Katmandu and start walking?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Got pictures? Did you just fly to Katmandu and start walking?
View Quote
Photos inbound.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I flew from Atlanta to Detroit to Amsterdam to New Delhi to Kathmandu to Lukla.  From there I started my trek...

Ramp in Lukla.  The worlds most dangerous airport.

Aircraft that brought us in.  Dornier Do 228

This is "Arthur"  I don't know his real name.  I made friends with him shortly after arriving by feeding him a hardboiled egg.  He followed and slept with me for the entirety of the trip.  Yes... I fed him.  The locals informed me that this was his modus operandi and that I was the lucky one to be chosen.

Some of the grub along the way.

Typical trail along the way.  I was in shorts and a t-shirt for the first two weeks.  I even got a sunburn.

More trail views.

Namche Bazaar (3440 meters)  Stayed here a few days for acclimation.  Even found a billiards table that a guy carried up on his back.  Amazing.

A younger me.

Radio / Weather Equipment (5550 meters)

Prayer Rock (Everest Base Camp)

Acclimation Day.  Kala Patthar summited.

Me exhausted after carrying a 17 year old girl down the mountain after she passed out.  She suffered from AMS.  Returned her to Gorak Shep.

Me again in a tea hut I stayed at along the way.  Don't recall the location at the moment.

Everest in all her glory.

ETA - Sorry guys.  Tried to make the pictures visible.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I flew from Atlanta to Detroit to Amsterdam to New Delhi to Kathmandu to Lukla.  From there I started my trek...

http://i66.tinypic.com/e0h3y8.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/11spndi.jpg

This is "Arthur"  I don't know his real name.  I made friends with him shortly after arriving by feeding him a hardboiled egg.  He followed and slept with me for the entirety of the trip.  Yes... I fed him.  The locals informed me that this was his modus operandi and that I was the lucky one to be chosen.

http://i67.tinypic.com/10n7pfl.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/15pfort.jpg

Typical trail along the way.  I was in shorts and a t-shirt for the first two weeks.  I even got a sunburn.

http://i67.tinypic.com/10opiro.jpg

More trail views.

http://i65.tinypic.com/of7wur.jpg

Namche Bazaar (3440 meters)  Stayed here a few days for acclimation.  Even found a billiards table that a guy carried up on his back.  Amazing.

http://i67.tinypic.com/53tdh3.jpg

A younger me.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ljgfeq.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/289eq0p.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/24vqyxe.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/nnljd5.jpg

Me exhausted after carrying a 17 year old girl down the mountain after she passed out.  She suffered from AMS.  Returned her to Gorak Shep.

http://i67.tinypic.com/o69nd0.jpg

Me again in a tea hut I stayed at along the way.  Don't recall the location at the moment.

http://i63.tinypic.com/246kgec.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/vzhnhd.jpg
View Quote
Well damn.

Welcome to the site, bro!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well damn.

Welcome to the site, bro!
View Quote
Thanks bud.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Amen, nice pics.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome.  Love reading climbing and mountaineering books, but im not a climber.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy shit, new guy!

Welcome to the site.

I have thought that if I have the time it would be cool to do the same thing. That would be enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Relax Francis

He wasn't saying he shot OBL, the dude make a seemingly believable post.    Christ
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a story attached to this...
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Holy shit, new guy!

Welcome to the site.

I have thought that if I have the time it would be cool to do the same thing. That would be enough for me.
View Quote
Thank you.  You should go.  I would love to return but I have zero interest in summiting.  I need my fingers and toes to do my work and pull the bang switch from time to time.  Just not worth the risk for me personally.  Just getting out there and seeing it in person was amazing.  I made a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with and the memories will never fade.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i66.tinypic.com/e0h3y8.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/11spndi.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/10n7pfl.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/15pfort.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/10opiro.jpg

More trail views.

http://i65.tinypic.com/of7wur.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/53tdh3.jpg

A younger me.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ljgfeq.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/289eq0p.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/24vqyxe.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/nnljd5.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/o69nd0.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/246kgec.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/vzhnhd.jpg

ETA - Sorry guys.  Tried to make the pictures visible.
View Quote
Holy crap, that is awesome dude.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I highly recommend Ed Viesturs' books about his climbing experiences, especially, "No Shortcuts to the Top". The man has climbed all 14 8000'ers without supplemental oxygen. Everest may be not be the deadliest mountain out there, but it is still quite the accomplishment to summit, and deadly to even the most experienced high-altitude climbers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thank you.  You should go.  I would love to return but I have zero interest in summiting.  I need my fingers and toes to do my work and pull the bang switch from time to time.  Just not worth the risk for me personally.  Just getting out there and seeing it in person was amazing.  I made a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with and the memories will never fade.
View Quote
I feel the same. Just to experience the area would be amazing.

The problems with being an adventurous and curious person is that life is too short to do it all. Still, just to stand at the bottom of the ice fall would be a dream realized. Good for you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Polish Expedition blog on the Nanga Parbat Rescue - In Polish, but even Google Translate renders amazing writing

"When we got up and sat down to breakfast, the offer came: You have to help them, gentlemen! ... Here, in Pakistan, We. We realized that we are their only chance. We are prepared, we have equipment, we are acclimatized. And we want, we want and we can help them! We go to the warehouse, prepare equipment, Krzysztof hangs on the phone. It's so simple. You have to call the heli, pack the rescuers and after 3 hours we drive into the Nangi wall.
There will be a flight. We fly! The propellers have started. We're running on helipad, we're pushing the sackcloth. From the bottom, the whirring of engines grows over the moraine. We're flying after them, we're flying! I know, I know it. We'll save them!

Propellers intensify the wind, terrible cold, rattle hands. They're chattering. I look at the faces of this four. Their joy, their determination, their stubbornness. Yes, in that moment I felt proud that I was Polish. No doubts. No hesitation. We are all convinced of the rightness of the decision.
There is an information that Eli and Tomek were at the top. But what does it matter? We do not care.

It's ... they've arrived. Like the wolves who were captured, Denis and Adam rushed to the wall. Night falls, wind, cold, and They are walking, one meter behind the subway Kuluar Kinshofer towards Eli and Tom. They're out there somewhere, Eli knows, she knows they're coming for her."

Interview with Urubko, one of the Polish rescuers (in Polish)

Sounds like Elizabeth would have died on the Kinshoffer Wall (technical section) without them. Weather made it impossible to fly up for Tomek who was last seen unconscious at 7300m days prior.

She spent 2 nights in the open, no sleeping bag or tent... and a combo of hypothermia, hypoxia, exhaustion, and dehydration made her hallucinate and take her boot off in a dream. She woke up missing one boot with severe frostbite. She managed to still downclimb to one of her camps where the rescuers found her.

I saw some pics of Elizabeths feet and hands. She is back in Europe and they'll make the amputation decision any day now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OK... tell the story
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK... tell the story
Think I've posted the background before, but looks like Photobucket ate a bunch of stuff.

In the K2 expedition, George Bell was the first to lose his footing in the chain reaction that was ultimately arrested by Pete Schoening.  Schoening's belay saved the day, but it also saved everything that happened after that.  Bell went on to have a son, also named George, and the younger Bell also became an avid climber.  The younger Bell wrote an article that appeared in a 1992 issue of Climbing, titled The Forgotten Yosemite, about a phenomenal region of Canada that had sort of sat forgotten for decades after the brief flurry of first ascents.  George went on to document and aggregate a lot of information on the region, recent ascents, and so forth, and in doing so, was instrumental in the success of a lot of parties that went in there in the 1990s.

I had a number of conversations with George over the phone and we realize that we had two similar, geographically linked photographs, but separated by about a decade in time.

On the left is George's photograph, and the second photo from the left is mine.  George's photo is looking at the peak from where I took my photo, and my photo is facing where George was when he took his.  And, George has a copy of my photo.

Additionally, unknown to me at the time, a friend of mine from the same small town in Virginia happened to be about dozen or so miles north of us, also halfway up a granite wall, but socked with 17 inches of snow, a far cry from the few inches we received on the periphery of the storm.

So, yeah, thanks to Pete for saving George's father's life, and thanks to everyone like them that inspired those that went on to follow somewhat similar footsteps.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top