BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get "dink", "slant-eye" and whatnot, but a shortened version of Japanese being an insult sounds like people looking for a reason to be offended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a derogatory term for people of Japanese descent and for Asians in general for decades if not longer.
I get "dink", "slant-eye" and whatnot, but a shortened version of Japanese being an insult sounds like people looking for a reason to be offended.
If used in this reference it is not really a racist term: 'That parking lot is full of Jap cars'

Used in this context it is racist:  'Them Japs own all the local dry cleaners'
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Anyone who goes up that mountain - along with a good number of other activities - readily accepts death as a possibility, and expects no-one to risk their lives to save them.

You may have never put yourself in that situation, or you may be too selfish to put yourself in that situation, but some of us have done so.  We expect no-one to drag our barely-alive bodies or dead corpses back.
View Quote
What a crock of shit.

Of course most [responsible] climbers don't EXPECT anyone to save them.

I have climbed solo ice climbs (unroped) and peak bagging plenty... where the risk was 100% on me. I've fallen twice. I had to "hop" out after a broken ankle sustained while ice climbing on a -20F Montana morning (where I live... as opposed to Florida). So though I have no Himalayan peak experience to my name, I know all about the risks that one assumes while climbing and pursuing other activities considered riskier than average. I've also got a lot of knee-dragging miles on sport bikes and used to pilot aircraft. Currently, I've been doing more and more adventure motorcycling... also mostly alone. The risk was/is entirely on me, I have ZERO expectation or thought of someone else risking their lives to save mine if I got myself in a bind.

But to just walk past a dying person on your way to a summit? It's bullshit. I wouldn't do it. I don't care what you or anyone else says. There are great mountaineers who have rendered aid to help others in the high mountains, who weren't even on their climbing team. And there are many who've muttered to themselves "not my problem" as they coldly walked-by a dying soul. Things are different on Himalayan peaks. Rescue is riskier. I don't blame others for not throwing their lives away to vainly attempt to save someone that they can't save. The margins are too thin. But to just "walk on by" on your way to the top has got to take a lot of the feeling of accomplishment away when you do get there. For to just forget that you walked by a dying person without even attempting to render aid of any kind is not human. There's a difference between trying to rescue someone that you have no real power to rescue, and not even stopping to at least try to render some sort of comfort or aid.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Standing in line in one of those ques must fucking suck.
View Quote
The queue in the Bottleneck on K2, with the giant serac hanging above you has got to be the most uncomfortable spot in the world.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If used in this reference it is not really a racist term: 'That parking lot is full of Jap cars'

View Quote
If y'all say so.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If y'all say so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If y'all say so.
Brits and Czechs don't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Brits and Czechs don't seem to mind.
View Quote
Has alot to do with situation - perception and whom you are involved in a discussion with

Back to the topic ........

I have watched a few killer youtube videos on those climbing expeditions because of this thread. Powerful stuff

I never knew it was near vertical at some points along the way as they got close to the summit.

Why would it not be mandatory safety gear to pack an extra O2 tank 1/2 size in your backpack ? Seems like a common sense life saving thing to have with you, just in case you are stuck up there another few hours.

I must be a chicken shit as I would not attempt that if they told me I got $10 million if I made it to the top. Looks way too fucking dangerous
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Has alot to do with situation - perception and whom you are involved in a discussion with

Back to the topic ........

I have watched a few killer youtube videos on those climbing expeditions because of this thread. Powerful stuff

I never knew it was near vertical at some points along the way as they got close to the summit.

Why would it not be mandatory safety gear to pack an extra O2 tank 1/2 size in your backpack ? Seems like a common sense life saving thing to have with you, just in case you are stuck up there another few hours.

I must be a chicken shit as I would not attempt that if they told me I got $10 million if I made it to the top. Looks way too fucking dangerous
View Quote
Ounces and grams are everything at 26,000'+. Most climbers aren't even hauling any food at all around above the South Col. While I completely agree with your premise (that it would be great to have a spare O2 bottle up there), there's always a weight penalty to be paid for everything. Which means that it takes more effort to hump it around.

I must be getting old... as I no longer have any romantic notions about having Sherpas haul my shit up the mountain and jumaring-up the entire Lhotse Face. I like the whole fast & light alpine acent, without O2. I realize that is still an exception on the really big mountains. But Everest has already been climbed. You're not planting a flag up there for the first time. So you might as well just do it on your own terms, in your own way, and not "stand in line to ride the ride at Disneyland". There are many climbers who have been climbing the big 8,000ers in the Himalaya and Karakorum with a minimum of all that expedition crap. I just don't find it that fascinating any more to see the umpteen thousandth person dressed like an Eskimo fighter pilot while standing on the top of Everest. It's been done a few times. Is it still a big deal to reach the top? Sure. But when a blind, quadruple amputee is probably signing-up right now with some guide to get him/her to the top this season... it's starting to lose its luster. Would I still love to stand on top of Everest? Sure. Would I find the answers to all of life's questions up there? Doubtful. But I'd sure find a lot of garbage and old fixed ropes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know people that climb for a living, and who have had a chance to climb Everest for a paycheck, but declined because of the dangers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a derogatory term for people of Japanese descent and for Asians in general for decades if not longer.
Racial epitaphs are weird. For instance, negro was "African-American*" back in the day.  Now it seems to be perceived as borderline racist although they are both semantically the same as "black".

On topic sort of / half assed try to get back on topic, I only got as far as the chains at Zion National Park's "Angles Landing" trail. I really don't like heights and it was a mental push to get that far.  There is no way I would go up there.

* I really don't like the term "African-American".  I think it is intellectually dishonest.  No one is really referring to anyone descended from people above the Sahara and it is really just based on appearance anyway.  For instance, Obama was half white and was raised by that side of his family.  Everyone considers him black, Egyptians not so much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a terrible shame that this thread devolved into a debate about what constitutes racism.

Sign of the times.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good read without a doubt,

What I didn't realize how that's been turned into a garbage can up there too...
View Quote
It is a disgrace. You pack it in, you pack it out is the motto for every mountain range but Everest.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top