BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There's more than corn in Indiana.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If you fly there, double check your ticket.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Indiana melons are fucking awesome. If you go ride the train in French Lick, they will stop and show you the house where Larry Bird grew up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Will be living and working in Knightstown.  Thanks for the info on the license.  Sounds easy.
View Quote

Welcome neighbor! I work in Henry County (Knightstown's county} and live in Rush County (adjacent to the south) Knightstown is a nice small (very) town. Enough small-town political corruption to make Chicago envious, but otherwise a very typical rural, small town.

Carry permits are lifetime.

The folks at Knightstown Locker are good people and have great meat. They also sell very reasonably priced, high-quality raw dog food if you have any dogs that are raw fed.

Easy access to I70 on the north side of town. Knightstown is Exit 115. Greenfield is Exit 104. You're on the east side of Indy at the 91. New Castle is to the east at Exit 123.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Soybeans too, and some Amish people.  My wife is from Fort Wayne.  We spent several days there a couple of years ago.  I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep.  Soybeans too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Soybeans too.

This is so funny and so true.  Mile after mile after mile of soy bean and corn fields.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is so funny and so true.  Mile after mile after mile of soy bean and corn fields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Soybeans too.

Also train tracks, and don't count on there being a signal at every track crossing.

BTW I went to a gun show there, also spent a day in Grabil.  That town has one of the best antique stores I've ever seen.  Folks at the gun show were very interested when they learned that I was from California.  Several of them asked about Kamala Harris.  They seemed to be exceptionally well informed.

The political ads on TV there were all about "My opponent sent our jobs to China" or "My opponent sent our jobs to Mexico."  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I moved here back in 2013. Do not regret it at all. Live just north of Fort Wayne. Housing prices are decent low crime, and quite.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I moved here back in 2013. Do not regret it at all. Live just north of Fort Wayne. Housing prices are decent low crime, and quite.
View Quote

Next time I go there I really want to see the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum.  My wife isn't a car buff but she says it's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Current governor is pro red flag and anti constitutional carry though gun permits now have no state fee for the four year only local fees. NFA is good to go no extra hoops. Great state all in all minus the two first points. Property taxes are reasonable as are vehicle plates depending on the vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Southern Indiana checking in! About 30 min out of Louisville, KY.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Knightstown.  So southern central Indiana.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where in Indiana?

I like Knightstown. You are away from all the Indianapolis bullshit. I live just west of Knightstown in Greenfield.

Welcome to the state.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least they don't have the queen governor like MI.

Pizza King,, remember those two words - Arnies in Lafayette was my all time favorite, but most make a good pie
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pizza King,, remember those two words
View Quote

Whole Strom Hot no Onions!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pizza King,, remember those two words - Arnies in Lafayette was my all time favorite, but most make a good pie
View Quote

Second Arnies pizza!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All Indiana visitors, please leave your blue state bullshit behind?
View Quote

Yes this please, we love our state!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And Yankees
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boredom

And Yankees

Not in the rural areas.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Howdy neighbor!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on Bedford, IN?
View Quote

Good hunting in the Hoosier National Forest.  Good people around that area.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If Indiana had a beach, it would be on my short list of places to retire.
View Quote

Indiana Dunes!

Seriously though, just across the border in Michigan is a great place to take the kids to the beach in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Southern Indiana is nice.  Hilly, scenic and we have a big river.  Everything north is Iowa.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My oldest son moved there from PA a few years back and has been very happy. He works for the DNR and was assigned to a park up north, then moved down near Indianapolis. I've visited a couple times, and there's plenty of "rural" areas for hiking and camping, but even the visits to the city weren't bad. Indy is considerably better than most cities in the country.

I suspect the experience will be as good as you want to make it!
View Quote

Indy went downhill FAST under the current and extremely shitty democrat Mayor.  He's a complete fuck and the city is much worse for it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a question.  Here in Texas we have HEB.  HEB is a Texas based grocery store.  HEB is great for buying local products, from meat to whatever you can think of.  What's the Indiana equivalent of HEB?  What's a good store to buy local products (meat, produce, beer, etc)?
View Quote

Friend of mine is in Henry County and they raise cattle and have a direct to market storefront.  Vegetables and stuff too in the summer.  I'll PM you the info.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, we also have meth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks doc

Lot of haters in here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tough call for ya WT.  Libtards in Cali or plain ole tards in Indiana.  There are plenty of good people in Indiana........this guy doesn’t appear to be one.

Good luck WT.  Gunna miss you out here.......we can’t afford to lose another conservative.

Thanks doc

Quoted:

Try Illinois we are full

Quoted:

We aren’t accepting any Californians at this time or for the foreseeable future, sorry bud. Check with Illinois.

Lot of haters in here

Conservatives are welcome.  Maybe we can get an exchange program to send out liberals to CA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hell yeah.  And Pizza King pizza.

View Quote

Truth.  OP, the closest Pizza King to you will be in Rushville.   Let me know when and we can meet up.  I have kids about the same age as yours.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Indy went downhill FAST under the current and extremely shitty democrat Mayor.  He's a complete fuck and the city is much worse for it.
View Quote

Hard to be a mayor when you spend a lot of time in Drug and Alcohol Rehab
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Madison has hydrplane racing in July and classic hydroplanes in September.

View Quote

remember "wild Bill Cantrell"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Indiana Dunes!

Seriously though, just across the border in Michigan is a great place to take the kids to the beach in the summer.
View Quote
Warren Dunes (spot in Michigan unless you meant New Buffalo)
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
They do have a Fogo De Chao and Kuma's Corner. Not to mention St Elmos.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indiana Dunes!

I couldn't come up with the name but just remembered St. Joseph up to New Buffalo.  That was the area we visited.  Touristy but in a good way not a bad way.  Lots of good restaurants, breweries with good food, a micro distillery, fun stuff for kids, and of course the lake and the beach.    You really can't tell Lake Michigan from the ocean in many ways except fresh water instead of salt water.  One day we were there it was big waves, too big to swim.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Indiana Dunes!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Indiana had a beach, it would be on my short list of places to retire.

Indiana Dunes!

Michigan City has a decent little beach.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They do have a Fogo De Chao and Kuma's Corner. Not to mention St Elmos.
View Quote

I need to try Shapiro's deli sometime too.

There are lots of great hole in the wall places in SE Indiana for fried chicken and fried catfish.

St. Elmo's was good but holy $hit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Brain sandwiches are the big thing in south Indiana. Especially in the fall.
View Quote
Getting harder and harder to find though. In all of Evansville, I believe the Hilltop Inn is the only place that still serves them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
It's like the who's who of ARFHoosierness up in here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Indiana melons are fucking awesome. If you go ride the train in French Lick, they will stop and show you the house where Larry Bird grew up.
View Quote

Born and raised in French Lick. The train goes right by my property, about two miles from Bird's old home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I need to try Shapiro's deli sometime too.

There are lots of great hole in the wall places in SE Indiana for fried chicken and fried catfish.

St. Elmo's was good but holy $hit.
View Quote

Cheaper alternative and a damn fine steak at the Coachman. They serve the same shrimp cocktail also. There a “partner” restaurant not sure what exactly they call it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Live near where the Wabash and the Ohio rivers meet, here you will get all 4 seasons,

in one day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Theres a restaurant in Leavenworth on the bluff overlooking the Ohio River thats really good. Ive been there a few times.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Madison has hydrplane racing in July and classic hydroplanes in September.

View Quote
Evansville used to have a Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series race the last week of June every year. Don't know how they fucked it up...but it's par for the course for Evansville.

Next thing you know they'll stop having the Freedom Festival Air Show over the 4th of July.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I grew up about a mile and a half from that Indiana Beach in your link. Did you mean to link that amusement park?  It's nowhere near the actual beach on Lake Michigan.
View Quote
I did. I was working up there many years ago and our crews had lakefront apartments rented there right on the lake.

It was about -70* there a few nights while I was out working on a drilling rig trying to finish a gas storage well a few miles SW of there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can't add much more than had been already. Grew up in Ohio, been here (NE IN) fort 30 years now. Glad I made the move .

People are friendly, and this area in the Midwest is probably one of the larger "low cost-of-living areas" in the US.  House prices and taxes are average.

Conservative state, they went red for Obama's first term, realized how bad they screwed the pooch, and went back red in the 2012 vote.  I think 2008 was the first time the state went blue since the early 60's.

North side of Indy is pretty nice. Quite a free wineries scattered around.

But ... nobody seems to know what the heel a Hoosier is ...
View Quote
Came from John Finley's 1833 poem "The Hoosier's Nest". Weird shit, that poem.  

Finley was the Mayor of Richmond...and also invented the movie projector.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to double date with Larry Bird while he was a Senior in High School. We dated 2 sisters.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Knightstown is pretty nice.  I've got some family that lives near there.  As to gun rights, Indiana is pretty good.  CCW is still 5 year license ("free" but you have to pay for fingerprinting) or lifetime ($50 plus fingerprinting).  There are currently multiple bills in the state house for constitutional carry, but it's been short circuited by 'moderate' Republicans before.

Indiana is one of the 'most typically American' states in the country.  Outside of Indy, Gary, and Bloomington, it's pretty conservative.  Indy used to be a great town, but has become a bit of a "Berkeley wannabe" in the last couple of decades.  The weather, of course, sucks.  Hot, humid summers (nothing compared to TX though); cold, damp, grey winters; and rain, rain, rain, most of the rest of the year.  September and early October are usually pretty mild, dry, and sunny.

I love Indiana, even though I hate the rain.  Oh, and don't be scared by all the Hoosiers - there are also a lot of Boilermakers here.  Also, it has now been 1,807 days since IU last defeated Purdue in men's basketball.  :D
View Quote

This is an important point! BTFU!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Welcome to Indiana. Been here most of my 70 years. Not much to add at this point in thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#47]
This feels like a really good Indiana hometown thread.  

Question:

If I buy a bunch of steel and host a shoot that involves a bunch of natural terrain, and then grilling and camping, would people be interested in kicking in $10 to cover the cost of the steel?

I have enough room that I could probably get 50+ people and that $10 would include a whole bunch of pulled pork barbecue and room for people with campers, etc.  

Sort of a Cola Warrior event without the puking and the peeps.   Or with puking and peeps if that is your thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on Bedford, IN?
View Quote

I was born and raised in Bedford -- and I've never lived more than 10 miles from it. I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Getting harder and harder to find though. In all of Evansville, I believe the Hilltop Inn is the only place that still serves them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57642/Brain_Sammich_rightside_up___JPG-1805267.JPG
View Quote

Yep. Had a few there. Big Tops are alright. They are on the small side, and only have them in the fall. Bocklemans used to have the best, but they closed down in the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This feels like a really good Indiana hometown thread.  

Question:

If I buy a bunch of steel and host a shoot that involves a bunch of natural terrain, and then grilling and camping, would people be interested in kicking in $10 to cover the cost of the steel?

I have enough room that I could probably get 50+ people and that $10 would include a whole bunch of pulled pork barbecue and room for people with campers, etc.  

Sort of a Cola Warrior event without the puking and the peeps.   Or with puking and peeps if that is your thing.
View Quote

Yes.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top