User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Y'all gotta visit Pima too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to plan a trip there.  I usually go to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton,OH.  
If you want to see more photos of the Air Force museom, here is an album from my trip.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U9YMvSQgaFaPyBr42

We have a Valkyrie and some stealth tech.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You do get to some really neat places!

Thank You!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised with all the floor space around the SR-71 that they don't put that D-21 Drone next to it.

Here's an unfortunate accident video of the SR-71 and D-21.

SR71 Sistership, The MD21 Blackbird Accident
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do get to some really neat places!

Thank You!
View Quote
Agreed plus Bama's photo quality helps you feel like you're there or how it would be like in person
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You aughta look in to the A-12. Many of the speed records attributed to the SR71 actually belong to the Oxcart.  President Johnson wanted to get one over on the commies, ans outed the Blackbird, which hadn't even flown yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SR71 is still the coolest thing that's ever flown. I spend more time looking at it than any of the other exhibits.
You aughta look in to the A-12. Many of the speed records attributed to the SR71 actually belong to the Oxcart.  President Johnson wanted to get one over on the commies, ans outed the Blackbird, which hadn't even flown yet.
I have a thread on here about my cousin (twice removed) who was involved in that program.  He was one of the test pilots.  Fitz Fulton.  

Fast planes
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow!!!!  Didn't know that place existed.
View Quote
Even worse, I've been driving past that place for 40 years and have never stopped.  And I'm an airplane junky.

It's off the "We Bare All" or "Strippers.. Need We Say More?" exit on I-75.  146 I believe...

And no I haven't been to said joint, but they've had the same billboards up for so long I'm sure the girl in the ad is a great grandmother by now...
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow!!!!  Didn't know that place existed.
View Quote
I didn't know about it until I was passing through about 20 years ago. It was a remarkable place back then and I looks even better now. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#11]
That is a great place to visit, thanks for the pics.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a WPAFB fan. First place I saw dad after he came back (I was 3), grew up there, helped build iMax at the museum.

These pics look like Robbins has a better museum. It's been a few years, but damn.

Great pics, great thread!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Went last year with the family when we still lived in GA. Could have killed my kid by the time we left but sill enjoyed it. Don’t they have an on going B17 resto?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you BamaShooter.  Never been to that one particular museum.  

Did they actually show the entire "God is My Co-Pilot" film?  I have an autographed copy of Robert Scott's book.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have flown in there many times... Sadly we were not able to stop at the museum.  Some day.
View Quote
I've only flown in once long time ago, never visited the museum and never knew it was 2nd largest. I need to improve my situational awareness
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for the kind words.
View Quote
Thank you for sharing the kick ass pics, that I'm still scrutinizing
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:23:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:Museum of Aviation - Robins Air Force Base - 2nd largest museum in US
View Quote
Fail.
Second largest USAF museum in the USA, Wright-Patterson is larger.
The NASAM is the largest in the world.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I need to burn some vacation time and thinking about making an OH run.

Just don't know how I can fit it in between now and the end of the year.
View Quote
Then do Seattle - we don't have an sr71, we do have an m21.

I want to do Davis monthan tour!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  I was there in the late '90s and remember some of the exhibits like the Flying Tiger P-40 but a lot of that is new.  Museum looks great.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4504/37032477224_6e86e68d25_k.jpg
View Quote
Looks like I'm not the only magnet collector
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dad is an AF Vietnam vet. He won't fly these days so if I take him it will be vehicle ride.
View Quote
Seattle - Birmingham 2500 miles. 30 hours @ 80mph.

??
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Haven't been there in years. Looks like I need to plan a trip.
View Quote
Went down to Jacksonville a few weeks ago and as I drove by sad the same thing. Its been years since I have been, a lot of the cool stuff was still outside from what I remember.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The other I-75 exit takes you straight there. I think it's 142 or 144. It's the exit south of the strip club. 146 works too, but it's less direct and traffic usually sucks around there.

The strip club is 146. That place was the first strip club I ever went to, about a week after I turned 18. I went with my cousin and another guy. The women were unimpressive enough that once the novelty of naked strangers wore off, we quit paying attention. They kicked us out after about an hour of us sitting at a table shooting the shit without spending money.

That's my favorite billboard. It says "Need we say more" with no question mark, which is always good for a joke about how they could have said just a little more. It annoys the hell out of my wife, who hates everything sbout strip clubs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even worse, I've been driving past that place for 40 years and have never stopped.  And I'm an airplane junky.

It's off the "We Bare All" or "Strippers.. Need We Say More?" exit on I-75.  146 I believe...

And no I haven't been to said joint, but they've had the same billboards up for so long I'm sure the girl in the ad is a great grandmother by now...
The other I-75 exit takes you straight there. I think it's 142 or 144. It's the exit south of the strip club. 146 works too, but it's less direct and traffic usually sucks around there.

The strip club is 146. That place was the first strip club I ever went to, about a week after I turned 18. I went with my cousin and another guy. The women were unimpressive enough that once the novelty of naked strangers wore off, we quit paying attention. They kicked us out after about an hour of us sitting at a table shooting the shit without spending money.

That's my favorite billboard. It says "Need we say more" with no question mark, which is always good for a joke about how they could have said just a little more. It annoys the hell out of my wife, who hates everything sbout strip clubs.
Coming from the north or the south? If you're coming from Macon, exit 160A will take you straight by the base. 41 to Houston Rd to 129/247. If you're coming from the south, 144 is probably the most direct route.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There is a REALLY rare aircraft there that of the three built is the only surviving example.

Three C-130s were modified under a top secret project at Eglin Air Force Base Auxiliary Field #1 (Wagner Field), Florida. The contract called for two to be modified to the proposed XFC-130H configuration within 90 days, and the third to be used as a test bed for various rocket packages blistered onto the forward and aft fuselage, which theoretically enabled the aircraft to land and take off within the sports arena's confines. (A fourth aircraft, an EC-130 ABCCC, was used as the interior mockup airframe for simulator training.)[4]

After Lockheed was requested on 27 June 1980, to begin preliminary engineering studies on an STOL Hercules, the use of JATO units was explored, since these had previously been used to power takeoffs.[5] Lockheed reported on 16 July that 58 JATO bottles (more than seven times greater than normal) would be required and that arresting gear would be insufficient to stop the C-130 in the required space. The U.S. Navy's Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake organization was then brought into the project to provide expertise on existing rocket motor power. Lockheed proceeded with work to structurally reinforce the C-130 airframe to withstand rocket forces and to develop a passenger restraint system for 150 persons.[6]

The resulting XFC-130H aircraft were modified by the installation of 30 rockets in multiple sets: eight forward-pointed ASROC rocket motors mounted around the forward fuselage to stop the aircraft, eight downward-pointed Shrike rockets fuselage-mounted above the wheel wells to brake its descent, eight rearward-pointed MK-56 rockets (from the RIM-66 Standard missile) mounted on the lower rear fuselage for takeoff assist, two Shrikes mounted in pairs on wing pylons to correct yaw during takeoff transition, and two ASROCs mounted at the rear of the tail to prevent it from striking the ground from over-rotation.

Other STOL features included a dorsal and two ventral fins[7] on the rear fuselage, double-slotted flaps and extended ailerons, a new radome, a tailhook for landing aboard an aircraft carrier, and Combat Talon avionics, including a Terrain Following/Terrain Avoidance radar, a defensive countermeasures suite, and a Doppler radar/GPS tie-in to the aircraft's inertial navigation system.[/i]
[/i]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWttlUxntr4
View Quote
HOLY FUCK!!!  That is going to be the most awesome thing I will likely see this week!  That was badass!....hope the aircrew came out ok in the end.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There is a REALLY rare aircraft there that of the three built is the only surviving example.

Three C-130s were modified under a top secret project at Eglin Air Force Base Auxiliary Field #1 (Wagner Field), Florida. The contract called for two to be modified to the proposed XFC-130H configuration within 90 days, and the third to be used as a test bed for various rocket packages blistered onto the forward and aft fuselage, which theoretically enabled the aircraft to land and take off within the sports arena's confines. (A fourth aircraft, an EC-130 ABCCC, was used as the interior mockup airframe for simulator training.)[4]

After Lockheed was requested on 27 June 1980, to begin preliminary engineering studies on an STOL Hercules, the use of JATO units was explored, since these had previously been used to power takeoffs.[5] Lockheed reported on 16 July that 58 JATO bottles (more than seven times greater than normal) would be required and that arresting gear would be insufficient to stop the C-130 in the required space. The U.S. Navy's Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake organization was then brought into the project to provide expertise on existing rocket motor power. Lockheed proceeded with work to structurally reinforce the C-130 airframe to withstand rocket forces and to develop a passenger restraint system for 150 persons.[6]

The resulting XFC-130H aircraft were modified by the installation of 30 rockets in multiple sets: eight forward-pointed ASROC rocket motors mounted around the forward fuselage to stop the aircraft, eight downward-pointed Shrike rockets fuselage-mounted above the wheel wells to brake its descent, eight rearward-pointed MK-56 rockets (from the RIM-66 Standard missile) mounted on the lower rear fuselage for takeoff assist, two Shrikes mounted in pairs on wing pylons to correct yaw during takeoff transition, and two ASROCs mounted at the rear of the tail to prevent it from striking the ground from over-rotation.

Other STOL features included a dorsal and two ventral fins[7] on the rear fuselage, double-slotted flaps and extended ailerons, a new radome, a tailhook for landing aboard an aircraft carrier, and Combat Talon avionics, including a Terrain Following/Terrain Avoidance radar, a defensive countermeasures suite, and a Doppler radar/GPS tie-in to the aircraft's inertial navigation system.[/i]
[/i]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWttlUxntr4
View Quote
Came here to post this!

I worked on the other surviving one 74-2065 at Dyess AFB in the 1990's early 2000's

Oh and Bama...the rockets are not installed on it, but you can still the attachment spots.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Next time I visit my daughter I'll have to bring my grandsons there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top