BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly what are they doing to break them?

It survives 10s of thousands of round shot through it and is used as a duty gun in by countless people, but tapping them into place breaks them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
hammer and punch.  Is there a reason for all the fuss?

Tritium vials have a tendency to break when bubba gunsmiths hammer and punch them into slides instead of using the proper tool.

It survives 10s of thousands of round shot through it and is used as a duty gun in by countless people, but tapping them into place breaks them?

Not an SMA on installing sights, but I believe it's because the sights aren't designed for impact from the sides, but for forward and rear shock. IIRC, Trijicon won't honor the warranty for sights damaged by installation not done with a sight installation tool.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I used this design: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:268933

I ended up grabbing the Solidworks files and making a couple changes (removed chamfering so it would print better, resized nut cavities based on actual nut OD, removed support for slide and just used Simplify3D's auto-generated supports)

I can post my altered STLs if you'd like, but you may need to modify them based on the hardware you pick up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post stl file?

I ended up grabbing the Solidworks files and making a couple changes (removed chamfering so it would print better, resized nut cavities based on actual nut OD, removed support for slide and just used Simplify3D's auto-generated supports)

I can post my altered STLs if you'd like, but you may need to modify them based on the hardware you pick up

I'd appreciate it if you posted your modified files.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Post more pics, please.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry gents, it took about 8 hours total to print this (due to such a high infill %) and while it's fun to make 1 or 2 of these, I don't have the time to make dozens for sale.

View Quote

You must not like money.

Whatever it cost you to make, sell it for double and people here will still think it's cheap.

Including myself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd pay $10 shipped for one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Something similar is all over ebay, I'd be interested in an honest review as it looks flimsy but the ones on ebay hover at $20 ish from about a dozen sellers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sorry gents, it took about 8 hours total to print this (due to such a high infill %) and while it's fun to make 1 or 2 of these, I don't have the time to make dozens for sale.

View Quote
It's ok dude.  Just ship me yours.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Ost for interest
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use a delrin punch.

If it breaks, I just cut a new piece off the old cutting board I use to make punches.
View Quote

That's what I do.  When I need a need cutting board for more tools/inserts(zero clearance for WW) I just order another one from amazon and it's at my door in two days.  

But I have to admit that this is an awesome example of 3D printing drastically changing the market for the consumer.  I remember paying somewhere around $100 for a MGW SIG P-series sight pusher years ago.  This probably wouldn't be the first choice for someone that does gunsmithing for a living, but for the occasional one off project or the dude that just wants to get his new sights installed and doesn't have a bunch of tools laying around, I can see this being a great choice at around $20 (aforementioned ebay items).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
those are all over ebay for $30. I went with the metal version for the same price
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not an SMA on installing sights, but I believe it's because the sights aren't designed for impact from the sides, but for forward and rear shock. IIRC, Trijicon won't honor the warranty for sights damaged by installation not done with a sight installation tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tritium vials have a tendency to break when bubba gunsmiths hammer and punch them into slides instead of using the proper tool.

You have to really wail on a sight to bust the vials.  I've installed hundreds of sets with an oak dowel and a wooden mallet and have never broke one.

I cringe when I see someone using metal hammers and brass punches though.  

But I digress, excellent work OP!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
When you build one that will do XD series pistol sights I will be impressed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
What's your PayPal. Serious
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Order placed.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post stl file?

I just uploaded them to Thingiverse but it says I need to wait 24 hours after signing up to publish something so I'll update this thread tomorrow with the link!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Some people are incapable of using a hammer and punch without fucking everything up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Market it fast and get it on all the major retailer sites before someone steals your idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Raw materials at 5 bucks put the final price at 89.95
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone, remember this thread. When 3-D printers become ubiquitous in the home, the average person will be able to download model files and print items so inexpensively that the market for many common items will dry up. Think of all the stuff we buy from China (or anywhere) that is $9.99 to $19.99, for example, that has <$1 worth of material in it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#21]
By popular request, here's the model files --> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1214485
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#22]
For those who are interested, this thread led me to one of these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-sight-tool-pusher-for-handguns-front-rear-Glock-1911-and-most-others-/262013917311?nav=SEARCH

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For those who are interested, this thread led me to one of these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-sight-tool-pusher-for-handguns-front-rear-Glock-1911-and-most-others-/262013917311?nav=SEARCH

View Quote

Please post a report here when you get it and try it - I've long wanted a generic sight pusher....
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Love it thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Everyone, remember this thread. When 3-D printers become ubiquitous in the home, the average person will be able to download model files and print items so inexpensively that the market for many common items will dry up. Think of all the stuff we buy from China (or anywhere) that is $9.99 to $19.99, for example, that has <$1 worth of material in it.

View Quote

And where do you think the 3D printers will be made when they get that cheap??
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi.

I want one.

Are you taking orders?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
By popular request, here's the model files --> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1214485
View Quote

Sweet thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
What are the final dimensions? I haven't had a chance to download the files yet

Seeing if I can pull this off with my M3D or if I have to recruit my buddy's maker bot
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top