Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad and I built gaming computers when I was 9. Probably part of the reason I spent 10 years in college and do scientific computing for a living.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple things....first, if there's a microcenter near you, thats the place to shop.

Second and most important...when someone says "gaming pc" my generation thinks something to run whatever Triple A title came out yesterday at max graphic settings. When a zoomer or gen alpha kid says gaming pc, they mean something to play fortnite, minecraft and watch skibidii toilet.  

Don't drop a lot of $ is what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone who says this, nothing is safe with parents like you.

"Video games are the debil!"  So is Football yet here you are, watching it on the regular.

You need to be in charge of your kid, teach them right and they won't turn into "bad kids" because  they play a video game.  "Its addictive!"  So is everything, get over it.  It is YOUR responsibility to teach your kids right from wrong. Playing games is perfectly fine. Teach them why avoiding everything else: hygiene, bills, etc. is wrong.  

TLDR:  If you teach your kid to act properly, you won't have an issue.  Or is it you're too lazy to monitor said kid while they play games?  Much easier to do when they do what *you* enjoy?  "My kids likes to play ball!"  No, YOU like your kid playing ball, does your kid actually like it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From another father, don’t do it. Gaming becomes an addiction for this generation and if you let it in the door it’s hard for their focus to be on anything else.

We don’t have it in our house. My sisters on the other hand bought my nephews gaming PCs snd PS5s. After watching the behavioral changes in them, no way I’d have it in my house.

Anyone who says this, nothing is safe with parents like you.

"Video games are the debil!"  So is Football yet here you are, watching it on the regular.

You need to be in charge of your kid, teach them right and they won't turn into "bad kids" because  they play a video game.  "Its addictive!"  So is everything, get over it.  It is YOUR responsibility to teach your kids right from wrong. Playing games is perfectly fine. Teach them why avoiding everything else: hygiene, bills, etc. is wrong.  

TLDR:  If you teach your kid to act properly, you won't have an issue.  Or is it you're too lazy to monitor said kid while they play games?  Much easier to do when they do what *you* enjoy?  "My kids likes to play ball!"  No, YOU like your kid playing ball, does your kid actually like it?

I agree with this.

I still play games when the kids go to bed, because I don’t binge watch tv shows. I can’t exactly leave the house after 9pm when the kids go to bed, so that’s when I will game, do more shitposting here, watch a show or movie with my wife if there is something we are interested in. Who cares.

My son plays Minecraft. He also loves to go fishing, go herping at the cabin, just running through the woods finding creatures. He likes watching coyote peterson on YouTube, and he can identify snakes better than most GDers asking to identify something.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The joy of putting $3000 together and it not booting because you have to flash the bios from usb first so it can see the cpu. Good times.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Couple things....first, if there's a microcenter near you, thats the place to shop.

Second and most important...when someone says "gaming pc" my generation thinks something to run whatever Triple A title came out yesterday at max graphic settings. When a zoomer or gen alpha kid says gaming pc, they mean something to play fortnite, minecraft and watch skibidii toilet.  

View Quote

This.  I had my boys build PCs for school from home when covid hit.  Each machine was about $400.  Intel i3 10100 (stock cooler), Asrock microatx, 16GB ram, 500GB NVME, Inwin Chopin case, ~20" monitor, kybd, mouse.  Grey market win10, office 2019.  Those machines can play more games than I thought possible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Budget, PC partpicker, anything but the verge pc assembly on youtube.

Weekend project with the kiddo and you both learn stuff.  It is pretty straight forward, hell even that 2070 offer those cards are rock solid and will do well just not max settings on all games but pretty damned good if not actually maxed on all the sparkles and unicorn fart settings.

Goodies I would have on hand.
2 usb sticks, one for os and other for bios.
Small parts screw driver preferably with ratchet it will help.
Nitrile gloves, trust me this part is kinda pro that artic silver or what ever thermal paste can get all over hell and back.  Also they do not ground and spark so the ast strap is not really needed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My dad and I built gaming computers when I was 9. Probably part of the reason I spent 10 years in college and do scientific computing for a living.
View Quote

There it is.

I didn’t build a computer when I was younger, but I did convince my mother to let me use her credit card to buy Rhinoceros 3D v1.1 and I reimbursed her with money I saved mowing lawns. By the time I ended up in design school where Rhino was the number one tool, I was running circles around my peers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#9]
How To Build a PC in 2023 - Part 1: The Basics
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn't build a kid that young a gaming rig.

Like the other guy said, too easy to create an addiction out of it, and the streaming culture is toxic as fuck.

Get him a console, limit his usage, and make him go outside.

If he wants a rig tell him to start saving up and when he's 16 he can buy and build it himself.
View Quote

Agree about gaming culture---what a gamer word---but he's not going to be able to do video editing work on a console, is he?  Or learn coding?  Though there's always Raspberry pis.

Developing a gaming habit should be a giant No-Go, and I like the damned things.  But I'm also an adult who's had decades to have the need for moderation beaten into him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This site is what I used - https://pcbuilder.net/list/

take a look at this YT channel, decent info on setups at different prices.  https://www.youtube.com/@CRATERHQ/videos

Mine ended up being setup pretty much like this one (different colors and such)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYI8c89aZ98

https://i.imgur.com/3sp86FTh.jpg
View Quote

Interesting.  I have the 5700 XT too---decent bang for buck when I got it---but it's unfortunately a bit of a lightweight these days.  Albeit most cards trying to drive 4k are.  Not like I do all that much gaming anymore anyways.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#12]
For a 9 year old?

GTFO.

Maybe at 14 or 15 sure.

Not for a 9 year old.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agree about gaming culture---what a gamer word---but he's not going to be able to do video editing work on a console, is he?  Or learn coding?  Though there's always Raspberry pis.

Developing a gaming habit should be a giant No-Go, and I like the damned things.  But I'm also an adult who's had decades to have the need for moderation beaten into him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't build a kid that young a gaming rig.

Like the other guy said, too easy to create an addiction out of it, and the streaming culture is toxic as fuck.

Get him a console, limit his usage, and make him go outside.

If he wants a rig tell him to start saving up and when he's 16 he can buy and build it himself.

I get it, but keep in mind my whole mindset for a career doesn't involve computers so I have a bias against it.

I'm a "learn a trade" kind of guy. Not because the other careers are bad, just that being outside and moving around is just so much better for you physically and sometimes mentally.

Like I said before though, I love gaming and wish I could do more of it, but I carefully monitor the gaming habits of my kids because I've seen the rabbit hole it can lead down first hand, I lived with it, and it's sad way to live as a young adult.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The joy of putting $3000 together and it not booting because you have to flash the bios from usb first so it can see the cpu. Good times.
View Quote

Not really a thing anymore unless you're running a 14th gen Intel, but even then, half of the MBs out there are already updated for them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For a 9 year old?

GTFO.

Maybe at 14 or 15 sure.

Not for a 9 year old.

View Quote

At least a few folks are still sane.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Newegg.com
View Quote

FPDNNI. This is terrible advice. Newegg is a Chinese data mining, scam website now. Do not ever use Newegg.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FPDNNI. This is terrible advice. Newegg is a Chinese data mining, scam website now. Do not ever use Newegg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Newegg.com

Would you like to supply us with alternative places then?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Woot regularly has sales.
Your child doesnt need top of the line.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS

I built one for my 8yo (and of course one for me too lol)

I walked into a micro center and gave the sales associate a budget of around $1200 for each PC so he made me a list of parts he had in stock that would all be compatible and I just had to watch a walk through on YouTube as I assembled it
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get it, but keep in mind my whole mindset for a career doesn't involve computers so I have a bias against it.

I'm a "learn a trade" kind of guy. Not because the other careers are bad, just that being outside and moving around is just so much better for you physically and sometimes mentally.

Like I said before though, I love gaming and wish I could do more of it, but I carefully monitor the gaming habits of my kids because I've seen the rabbit hole it can lead down first hand, I lived with it, and it's sad way to live as a young adult.
View Quote

Completely agree about your third paragraph.  On the rest, I'll only say that I don't think the trades are going to be immune from the influx of computing and robotics, altering build processes in ways we can barely think of now.  And soon.

On the better for you, yes.  But no, too. I'm 50-ish.  I can still do spreadsheet stuff, legal analysis, etc.  If I'd had a career in the trades instead, I'd likely be broken.  If I couldn't transition to a "trailer" role, I'm not sure how long I'd have to contribute.  Never mind trying to pick up my kids, etc...

I completely see your points and they're good ones.  If the kid can learn video processing and editing really well...  Or programming period.  Might not be such a bad hobby.  Doing the same shit over and over on Fortnite?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Newegg.com

Microcenter's GTG.  See who PC Part Picker goes with.

Alas, Fry's (and their actively hostile customer service) are no more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Don’t do it! You’ll build him one at that age and then he’ll join ARFCOM at 14 and build a new system at 18 and by his 30’s he will be spending tens of thousands of dollars on shit ARFCOM told him to buy….

O shit, that’s me.

Seriously though, new egg and micro center. Good system can be built these days relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
7800x3d, mobo and ram combo from microcenter
4080super founders edition
2 TB NVMe gen 5
750w PSU
32 inch 1440p IPS 144mhz monitor
View Quote

Are you spying on me? Change the 32 inch to a 27 inch and you have my setup nailed including where i got the mobo and ram

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Buy one from the Salvation Army or Goodwill and help him upgrade it.  Extra memory, good video card, etc.  Easier and cheaper than starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Microcenter has some bundles going on right now with a decent discount.  Good starting place I think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#28]
By him an air rifle and take him shooting instead.

He'll grow up to be an Army Ranger instead of employment with the Geek squad....
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From another father, don't do it. Gaming becomes an addiction for this generation and if you let it in the door it's hard for their focus to be on anything else.

We don't have it in our house. My sisters on the other hand bought my nephews gaming PCs snd PS5s. After watching the behavioral changes in them, no way I'd have it in my house.
View Quote
This.

I would suggest YOU buy a PC and let the 9YO play with you if all school work is 100% and very limited at that.

Believe me OP, DON'T DO IT  I hate to say it but you will regret it beyond what you can imagine.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, the dopamine hits your child will get at that age will be like a mild drug addiction. It's 100% real, and I truly hope your child doesn't have a cell phone with internet access.

A trac phone for emergency calls is all they need.

Holy shit, I saw the title of this thread and only joined in with hopes to talk sense into you.

This isn't my first rodeo with this, seen it with neighbor's kids, I saved my kids for the most part.

It's an semi-evil thing for a young mind if I may be frank.

There are ways to do this, but possibly winning any popularity is off the books IMO.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Newegg.com
View Quote
PC retailer Newegg has reportedly been a naughty boy.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I have the 5700 XT too---decent bang for buck when I got it---but it's unfortunately a bit of a lightweight these days.  Albeit most cards trying to drive 4k are.  Not like I do all that much gaming anymore anyways.
View Quote

My build ended up with an RTX3070 so not exactly like the build in the vid.  It's several years old now but does okay for my needs.  I don't game much either but I do try to work in a few here and there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not really a thing anymore unless you're running a 14th gen Intel, but even then, half of the MBs out there are already updated for them.
View Quote

That's the point, to even be aware of such things. I know people that thought they had a bad mobo, but it just needed a bios update, and usually you don't want the latest, but the latest stable one. And if you buy the newest, there may not be references on the algoreinternet that tell you what to do next, I guess that is the fun part, some globally unique combination of parts that you get working is fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#34]
My 12yr old son just bought himself a NZXT Player one PC and it's been good for the first few weeks he's had it. He runs his Meta VR and Fortnite on it.  

Had an issue with a file he deleted and had to reach out to customer service to learn how to reimage it, and they were super helpful. He learned a lot in the process.
But also keeping them active and not on the electronics all day is key to making sure they grow up "somewhat normal".
9 years old does seem super young though, so unless you are really experienced with PC's and keeping from hackers and spyware I'd recommend waiting a few more years.

NZXT Player One Gaming PC  
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I built my kids gaming PCs of moderate performance for $1500. The most expensive part will be the GPU. They have 3070s which is plenty to run the games they play at 60+ fps.

We also have an XBox and Switch in the house.

They are homeschooled, so they haven’t turned into degenerates yet despite my best efforts. They use their PCs for school a lot too. They really like the 3840x1440 34” ultrawide curved monitors which are relatively cheap these days.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Newegg.com

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Even Best Buy and Staples sell components.  Also, microcenter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
By him an air rifle and take him shooting instead.

He'll grow up to be an Army Ranger instead of employment with the Geek squad....
View Quote

Already have an air rifle, several actually, and a tin can plinking range in the backyard.

Both boys have AR’s in boxes waiting to be assembled for their 18th birthdays.

They’ll need techies on the Ranger squad too!
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP, the dopamine hits your child will get at that age will be like a mild drug addiction. It's 100% real, and I truly hope your child doesn't have a cell phone with internet access.

A trac phone for emergency calls is all they need.

Holy shit, I saw the title of this thread and only joined in with hopes to talk sense into you.

This isn't my first rodeo with this, seen it with neighbor's kids, I saved my kids for the most part.

It's an semi-evil thing for a young mind if I may be frank.

There are ways to do this, but possibly winning any popularity is off the books IMO.

Best of luck to you.
View Quote

I appreciate the warning. I really do. He does not have a cell phone, and will not get one until he’s 16 and driving, or has a job so he can pay it himself.

We really limit the time they spend gaming, and all their games require our approval before they can download. That will not change. He’s really more interested in making/editing videos than gaming itself.

I’m well aware off the slippery slope we’re on here, part of why I came here for advice. They know that if they get caught up, they get cut-off. As soon as I start to see that “tablet zombie” look in their eyes, they get unplugged an sent outside. I’d say they average about half of their “free time” on electronics, and half outside or “other.”

ETA: “other” being board games, reading, or Lego, usually when it’s raining.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#39]
For $1,000 you can do a really solid 1080p build.

If you want it to run 1440p well, probably bump that up to $1,500.

For 4k you're looking at at least $2,000.. and it'll likely be struggling to run the latest and greatest games on maxed out settings in a couple of years.

1440p is really the sweet spot.  It looks good enough, parts are cheaper for it, and they'll likely be able to handle the newest games for quite a few years.  If you go 4k, budget to be swapping out for the latest and greatest cards more often.

As you go up from 1080 to 1440 to 4k the system is relying more on it's video card with each step up in resolution... GPU's are expensive as fuck these days...

For a 9 year old, though?  I would just do a 1080p build...  Sub 1,000 dollars and build it together with him.  Maybe he'll take interest and turn to a lucrative, soul crushing career in IT.

https://gamerant.com/best-gaming-pc-builds-1000/
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This.

As for build advice, I always harp on the same thing. Get a good PSU and good RAM.
View Quote

I see so many complaints over at the Microsoft Flight Simulator forum about system instability.  For those that don't know, FS2020 will push even the best gaming systems to their limits.

I ask them, "How much did you spend on your computer power supply?"
It amazes me how many say, "I just got the cheapest 600-watt one I could find. My computer specs added up to 600-watts, so I figured that was good enough."
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#41]
You can do it for about a grand for a decent rig.

Basically, buy whatever the top stuff was from 3-4 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I see so many complaints over at the Microsoft Flight Simulator forum about system instability.  For those that don't know, FS2020 will push even the best gaming systems to their limits.

It amazes me how many say, "I just got the cheapest 600-watt one I could find. My computer specs added up to 600-watts, so I figured that was good enough."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

As for build advice, I always harp on the same thing. Get a good PSU and good RAM.

I never understood it either. IMO, a good PSU, RAM and mobo are the key to a solid foundation. The CPU/GPU is the easiest/last thing I worry about when it comes to a build.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#43]
From a gamer with a professional career, some of these comments are just so out of line. If you are able to parent your child well, then introducing gaming into the home will not ruin their life. Set hard boundaries for use - like only on weekends or on weekdays after they've done both homework and chores, etc. Find what works for you, but reinforce other positive behaviors with increased access under limited parameters.

When you call him for dinner, he has to come eat. When it's a half hour before bed, he has to shut it down. Have him mow lawns or shovel snow to save up for it, so he understands the value of what he is purchasing himself.

I built my first PC at 12 years old and it didn't destroy my life. I paid for it myself and it was not a good computer, but I was proud of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, B&H is pretty awesome to deal with
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I really thought MSFS was an absolute RAM hog more than anything else, and that was causing issues.  It's like the one game where, "64 gigs?  Why not?," would be a thing.

But yeah, don't cheap out on the PSU.  The Corsair I have is still chugging along 10 ish years later.  Helps I'm not trying to drive anything crazy on the CPU/cooler or GPU front.  Some of those new Intels...oy.  That's a lot of watts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Seriously, avoid gaming.  

PC gaming is top tier.  Tier 1. He’s going to build something, and a month later it’s going to be outdated and need upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
From a gamer with a professional career, some of these comments are just so out of line. If you are able to parent your child well, then introducing gaming into the home will not ruin their life. Set hard boundaries for use - like only on weekends or on weekdays after they've done both homework and chores, etc. Find what works for you, but reinforce other positive behaviors with increased access under limited parameters.

When you call him for dinner, he has to come eat. When it's a half hour before bed, he has to shut it down. Have him mow lawns or shovel snow to save up for it, so he understands the value of what he is purchasing himself.

I built my first PC at 12 years old and it didn't destroy my life. I paid for it myself and it was not a good computer, but I was proud of it.
View Quote

Don't bother convincing them. There's tons of boomers here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not boomers, just realists.

My 8 year old is sitting next to me playing Minecraft right now. No way in hell I would get her a PC, let alone one that can handle gaming, yet.

It's not just the games, but turning the PC into the hub of everything that you do. Not a path I want the kids going down yet, they need to keep being kids. Way too early for them to learn how to shift priorities to fit in more PC time.

I didn't have one until college and looking back I'm still really glad about that. I spent a lot of hours on it gaming with my friends, but nothing like what I saw other kids doing, it consumed them. Both the guys I lived with that were hooked came to school with built up rigs already, they had been in the PC game since middle school. They taught the other 3 of us how to build them and how to game on them.

Hell, all I had was a PS1 and an SNES at the time and still spent a lot of time just wandering around in the woods.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Seriously, avoid gaming.  

PC gaming is top tier.  Tier 1. He’s going to build something, and a month later it’s going to be outdated and need upgrades.
View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not boomers, just realists.

My 8 year old is sitting next to me playing Minecraft right now. No way in hell I would get her a PC, let alone one that can handle gaming, yet.

It's not just the games, but turning the PC into the hub of everything that you do. Not a path I want the kids going down yet, they need to keep being kids. Way too early for them to learn how to shift priorities to fit in more PC time.

I didn't have one until college and looking back I'm still really glad about that. I spent a lot of hours on it gaming with my friends, but nothing like what I saw other kids doing, it consumed them. Both the guys I lived with that were hooked came to school with built up rigs already, they had been in the PC game since middle school. They taught the other 3 of us how to build them and how to game on them.

Hell, all I had was a PS1 and an SNES at the time and still spent a lot of time just wandering around in the woods.
View Quote

Sounds like you have a time management problem.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top