BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Invite DK-Prof over. It's the only way to know for sure.
View Quote
This isnt a Carl G firing pin hunt...
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
In the Furnace, Air Handler or HVAC Duct. Maybe behind a wall mirror. In a box of something obscure buried under the obscure stuff.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If there are any drawers in the house in cabinets or such, pull them all out and check inside the cabinets under where the drawers ride.

We had an old spinster aunt who died and we had to tear her house apart because she notoriously hid money around the house. We found cash in ziplock bags inside her kitchen cabinets under the drawers. We also found bagged cash folded up in a hideaway couch bed, folded up in blankets in the closet, and inside floor registers (pull register vent off, reach into the duct where it bends and bingo).
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the lazy boy cushions.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Look behind everything.
This has been my deal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it's AZ, it's probably outside. Take a metal detector outside and look for obvious landmarks,Arrrr good luck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Burn the place down and sift the ashes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Know the feeling per say.

Grandparents old house, now my parents.
Rumor in the family of my grand father having a bring back luger. Parents have looked some, with no luck. Told them before they list the house for sale I want a few days searching.

For your issue. Blown In insulation  use a broom stick handle. Do a little poking and rooting.
Also check under side of cabinets  and draws in kitchen. Up under sinks, behind toilets. Behind ceiling vent fans in bathrooms. Under side of box springs in bedroom.

Is there crown molding, window seats, utility closet with exposed pockets between rafters.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Where they always hidden inside?

Have you removed soffit vents and felt around?

Inspected the tops of doors to see if the interior of them have been accessed?

Looked inside the furnace?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are telling about all of my hiding places!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not useful unless he knows where it is though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a stash I would leave be for a rainy day.

A semi-hidden gun with no link to you?

Except this thread.
Not useful unless he knows where it is though.
Necessity is the mother of more than invention.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Metal detector and process of elimination.
View Quote
Second that , a large steel object will be easy to detect with the sensitivity turned very low.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Metal detector and process of elimination.
View Quote
This.  A trip out to AZ and think like your dad.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The Breaker Box
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No it is here. Dad never sold ANYTHING and I did find a box of 32 Auto. It is here.... somewhere.
View Quote
Gotcha.

Depending on how desperate you are to find it and how much money you’re willing to spend, maybe some sort of trained dog?

I was reading an article the other day about police dogs and what they can find.  Obviously drugs, explosives, etc. but was also surprised to learn that some had been trained to sniff out electronics and hard drives.

If they can train a dog to find a hard drive, they can probably train it to find ammo or firearms.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Cove lighting and old metal medicine cabinets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad once hid some in the kitchen peninsula. If you pulled out the bottom drawer there was a space under the toe..
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Try the pockets of his clothes?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Was there anything in the house he fixed, replaced, or remodeled?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Step into every closet

Turn around

look up

Every time
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Jackhammer the garage and basement floors. That's were the bodies are, probably rifles too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Wall scanner rented from a tool yard
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Use your phone or a mirror to check the top of doors for evidence of a hole or compartment there.

Old style big speakers often have lots of space in them and the woofers might come off with a screwdriver.

A good light and a camera scope to go on your phone might be a fun investment.

If you have a week you can do first search and then decide on what other tools you might want.  They make really big retrieval magnets now that would not stick too hard to nails and screws and such but would clamp onto a gun real hard.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Did your dad ever carry around some coins and did he ever vacation at the Continental?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I stored a firearm like that once... grab a dust mask, start at one end and feel between the rafters. You could probably use a rake or something to push the insulation to the side you are looking. Or you could pay some kid to look.

Hopefully he didn't slide it down between two walls or put it between the rafters and nail a board over it.

You could also check behind the refrigerator and inside any duct work.
View Quote
Years ago, I helped rehab an old farmhouse out in eastern PA. . we were up in the attic, I guess re-doing the insulation, pulling it up from between the rafters. .  I ended up finding quite a bit of snake skin sheddings. . .

I am a strong disliker of snakes.

Turned out the place was crawling with them.  When they were pulling down the soffitts, live snakes fell out. . .  There was no bathroom hooked up, so you had to walk back into the backyard to take a leak.  One day, as I was doing that, I noticed a snake all coiled up, watching me as I walked by. . ."nice snake, nice snake,  . just going over here to take a leak."   Ugh. . .
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Remember that movie "Holes"?

No, the G rated one?

That.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Check the floor to ceiling measurements in the closets. Look for false ceilings and soffits.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#28]
And I always thought you were supposed to hide one in each room including the garage, attic, and crawl space. Stuff is always hid in the freezer in the movies. Sometimes in the toilet tank. In the spy movies there is usually something in the heel of the shoe.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
"I feel your pain OP. Somewhere in my parents house ( Moms still there), are two pristine S&W revolvers, a snubby and a 4 inch, both in .38 special. Pop hid them before he went on vacation one year, never retrieved them. He told us they were in a metal box in the attic, nothing so far. But his memory was poor near the end, hard to say if he was recollecting the current hiding spot, or one from the past.  One day, maybe.

Good Luck on your quest! Pictures if you find it!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Under a brick in the yard.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I can relate to this thread.  Family story has a 9mm auto stashed in a house.  The man that stashed it is long dead, and it was in his mothers house, and she's long dead and the house has been sold 2x since.  If it's where the story has it, it'll never be found until the place is torn down, heavily remodeled, or burns unless you know it's there.  Have thought about waiting for it to go up for sale and hope for an open house and to be left alone for the 5-10 minutes to retrieve it, but not worth becoming a thief to recover it - even worse if the story is false.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My remote viewing says there is a rafter with a double knot in it to the right of the access hole, back towards the corner.  It is in a gray box with blue writing on it under the insulation under that rafter.
View Quote
?

If serious. I’d like to know more.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
How old is the house and in what part of the state?  Those of us who live here can give better suggestions if we know those two items......local architecture changes by region and by the decade built.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My remote viewing says there is a rafter with a double knot in it to the right of the access hole, back towards the corner.  It is in a gray box with blue writing on it under the insulation under that rafter.
?

If OP finds it like worm god says I’m going to shit myself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Drier vent tube maybe?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Fish through the insulation with a powerful magnet
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Are there any ceiling tiles in the house or garage?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#38]
It's in the back of the closet behind the vacuum cleaner.

Well, that's where mine is anyway.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Poking stick is the right answer. Metal rod would be best prob. Poke around and feel for something different
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Your brother is fucking with you. He is probably laughing his ass off watching you tear through the house.  I’ll bet he has it or knows where it is and is getting some cheap entertainment from this thread
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's in the back of the closet behind the vacuum cleaner.

Well, that's where mine is anyway.

Thank me later.
View Quote
Or, if it's a bagged vacuum, inside the bag compartment.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ziploc bag in the toilet tank.
View Quote
I was going to mention this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Got to wonder if he hid it in a way the casual thief wouldn't find it on a walk around (like tucked above a rafter) or really hid like plastered into a wall?

Easy to retrieve or a serious pain in the ass to get to?

Do rental joints have metal detectors ? As others have said a decent one will make a different sound for solid pistol barrels than tin rafter anchors or joist hangers.
Know any land surveyors? they mostly all have some pretty good detectors that will find buried metal
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#44]
If there's a fireplace that wasn't used, look up inside the chimney around the damper.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@AKSnowRider
You have to have a criminal record! That's awesome idea!
View Quote
Not really, but I had been thinking if the gov really came looking how do you hide one where they can't find it..I figure they would be using a metal detector so wood walls and sheetrock won't hide it, but the appliances..yeah not much chance they would think of it....

ETA: Another good spot is the furnace where the filters go...real easy access but still well hidden....especially with a big magnet....
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#46]
your late dad was a smart man.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your brother is fucking with you. He is probably laughing his ass off watching you tear through the house.  I’ll bet he has it or knows where it is and is getting some cheap entertainment from this thread
View Quote
Well,we are brothers...

But he would have had his laugh by now.

Last description of it was in the attic, so that is the most likely spot if it was not removed by Dad his last year here, his health was poor but he could have set a ladder up and got up there on one his better days.

He would not have put it anywhere where the gun could be damaged, so it's not out side, that is for sure.

I looked through the garage and found a few nice hand tools stashed all over the place. I really doubt he would leave it in the garage,it is in the house or the attic.

House was built by his friend in about 2003. It's a trussed roof, scratch built 2x4 trusses on 24" centers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Basement?

Check attic again along the rafters or truses near the roof and see if it's hanging along side one of the boards, would be hard to see from the access hole unless you got right under it
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#49]
You look in the lid of the toilet tank?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My parents have a house in AZ where they go for the winters. My Dad brought a 1914 Mauser with him one year. Before they came back North for the spring he hid the damn thing somewhere... my brother recalls it may have been in the attic under the insulation. My Dad was weird about stuff like this, he hid money and guns all over his house in ND... it took me nearly a year after he died but I found every single gun accept this one.

He died a year and a half ago, I haven't been to AZ myself for a while but I am here for the week of Christmas. I have already looked in the attic above the garage and crawled around digging through the blown in insulation with no luck. I looked in the cold air returns, behind furniture, under the bottom file cabinet drawers, behing access panels for shower valves... all his usual stashing places with no luck.

I think it is still in the attic, in a soft zip up case buried under 14" of insulation....

Thought of looking a for a metal detector, but the rafter clips would probably set it off all over the place. Same problem with a large magent.

Anyone got an idea on how to find it?

Need a Christams miracle.
View Quote
Bible, large books? Special boxes?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top