Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/25/2023 5:42:24 PM EDT
I'm going to try and keep this brief. I met with the IRS at the local office yesterday due to problems with previous tax returns. The lady told me there is no record of me ever working there. The company never sent them my W-2s. It got flagged when I became a supervisor and the federal withholding I claimed was much higher.

It appears they were pocketing the money they were taking out of my check for 7 years.

They are/were being investigated for PPP loan
fraud by IRS criminal investigation division/FBI

I have called the IRS, FTC, social security, US department of labor, labor attorneys and they're all telling me to call someone else.

Labor attorney is going to review and get back to me. This is happening to or has happened to multiple people that have worked for the company in the past.

Idk what to do or who to call. This feels fucking awful.

Help

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to try and keep this brief. I met with the IRS at the local office yesterday due to problems with previous tax returns. The lady told me there is no record of me ever working there. The company never sent them my W-2s. It got flagged when I became a supervisor and the federal withholding I claimed was much higher.

It appears they were pocketing the money they were taking out of my check for 7 years.

I have called the IRS, FTC, social security, US department of labor, labor attorneys and they're all telling me to call someone else.

Labor attorney is going to review and get back to me. This is happening to or has happened to multiple people that have worked for the company in the past.

Help

View Quote

Did you happen to save the paper copy W2 they created/sent you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch.

How was this not somehow caught with your yearly tax filing?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Consulting with a labor attorney sounds like a reasonable course of action.

You might also want to talk to a tax accountant - Specifically an "Enrolled Agent" of the IRS.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ouch.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't you have any copies of your W2's or at least the tax returns?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Check with your local unemployment agency to see if they were at least paying unemployment insurance on you.

Not a great help, but it could be an easy next step to take and could the unemployment agency could start an investigation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck and free bump.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.

How big was the company?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately spending your own money on legal counsel is probably going to be your only way to go and the quickest path to a resolution. The .Gov isn’t interested in helping. May want to consult a tax attorney as well or see if the labor attorney has one at his firm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like your employer is the one in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have some of them. They are most likely buried in a storage unit in Idaho. I did file with H&R Block for a few years so they will have copies.

Problem is the woman said it doesn't matter. They have no record from the company. They can see I filed dating back to 2013 but there were no tax transcripts sent to them from the employer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Did they fraudulently print out fake withholdings when they gave your your pay stub? Or, in they 7 years you worked there did you just not pay attention to those sorts of things? Either way, lawyers are going to have to sort out this mess....good luck my friend.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Does he have a hot wife?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a lawyer...now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ouch.

View Quote

She said their system didn't flag it until my return was going to be over $1000. She was just as shocked as I was.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Help

View Quote

How did you file tax returns without a W-2?   Also, if they were withholding payroll taxes, and not sending them to the IRS, you may still be liable for the uncollected amounts, but even, then you should of been filing annual tax returns with a W-2, and the IRS should've kicked back at some point a notice, that they had not received payment.

You need a Tax Attorney.  You probably will need to get a settlement with the IRS to pay back the withholding  your are missing, and you will need to go after your former employer for the money they stole.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Do a cost benefit if lawyer + collection attempts of shady company vs settling with IRS.

If you’re low income the IRS will almost certainly settle for sub $1000.  If you’re financially solvent speak to accountant/tax lawyer about the best overall outcome.

Again simply winning a lawsuit doesn’t mean anything.  Collection is usually the bitch
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Aw shit.  This sounds similar to what happened to me at my former employer, but on a slightly different level.

They were taking 401k contributions out of our checks, but weren't making the deposits (ours or the company match) with our 401k administrator.  This went on for about 6 months with multiple promises to address the issue(s).

A group of us filed a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission and with the (state's) AG office when it looked like our company was going to continue to fuck us over.  I think someone even pursued a complaint with the US department of labor.

About a month after formally pursuing the complaints, we began to see deposits roll into our accounts.  I don't know what .gov agency did what, but we ended up getting all our funds deposited and all the accounts squared up in 2 or 3 months.  Shortly afterwards, the company temporarily suspended the 401k program.  That eventually led to a permanent dissolution.  I got laid off from there about 6 months later.  Go figure
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Not ragging the OP at all. Sorry you’re going through this.

But it’s a good reminder for everyone to create an account and check your social security account statement every year. The fact nothing was reported to SS would have been discovered the first year.

They used to mail them but stopped several years ago. And I’ll bet many don’t bother to check them anymore.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like fake W2s. They kept money. But you filed so there should have been some type of red flag in those years with the IRS
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
They fixed the glitch.

Also: Sorry OP, hope it all works out!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#22]
If you were never officially employed, it sounds to me like the IRS owes you seven years of back taxes, and the state owes you a whole bunch of unemployment compensation....

I'm just kidding.  Do NOT take me seriously.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did they fraudulently print out fake withholdings when they gave your your pay stub? Or, in they 7 years you worked there did you just not pay attention to those sorts of things? Either way, lawyers are going to have to sort out this mess....good luck my friend.
View Quote

I have 5 check stubs from 2021 with federal withholding and social security from them

A lot of stuff I had got lost or misplaced during my last move
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Your angus. Pepper it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Aw shit.  This sounds similar to what happened to me at my former employer, but on a slightly different level.

They were taking 401k contributions out of our checks, but weren't making the deposits (ours or the company match) with our 401k administrator.  This went on for about 6 months with multiple promises to address the issue(s).

A group of us filed a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission and with the (state's) AG office when it looked like our company was going to continue to fuck us over.  I think someone even pursued a complaint with the US department of labor.

About a month after formally pursuing the complaints, we began to see deposits roll into our accounts.  I don't know what .gov agency did what, but we ended up getting all our funds deposited and all the accounts squared up in 2 or 3 months.  Shortly afterwards, the company temporarily suspended the 401k program.  That eventually led to a permanent dissolution.  I got laid off from there about 6 months later.  Go figure
View Quote

Yeah, that happened to Samuel L Jackson if I remember correctly...or something like that....
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]
That's one of the few things the owners / officers of the company can be held personally liable for.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#27]
If they weren't paying the IRS, then they probably weren't paying SS, unemployment, and maybe even state/local taxes. All of whom will come knocking once they figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Unfortunately spending your own money on legal counsel is probably going to be your only way to go and the quickest path to a resolution. The .Gov isn’t interested in helping. May want to consult a tax attorney as well or see if the labor attorney has one at his firm.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have some of them. They are most likely buried in a storage unit in Idaho. I did file with H&R Block for a few years so they will have copies.

Problem is the woman said it doesn't matter. They have no record from the company. They can see I filed dating back to 2013 but there were no tax transcripts sent to them from the employer.
View Quote

Your state has a labor division.  Call them too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a tax attorney who used to work at the IRS and at least one CPA who answer questions at https://www.thelaw.com/forums/.  They can give you an idea of what to expect going forward.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How did you file tax returns without a W-2?   Also, if they were withholding payroll taxes, and not sending them to the IRS, you may still be liable for the uncollected amounts, but even, then you should of been filing annual tax returns with a W-2, and the IRS should've kicked back at some point a notice, that they had not received payment.

You need a Tax Attorney.  You probably will need to get a settlement with the IRS to pay back the withholding  your are missing, and you will need to go after your former employer for the money they stole.

View Quote

They would hand out W2s yearly and I would file either turbo tax or H&R Block. As far as I know I don't owe the IRS anything. I never made anything more than $40,000/ year with this company
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I had this happen to me years ago working for a consulting firm out in Commiefornia. Principle of the firm had a gambling problem and left the country with our 401k and Federal Tax funds for a year. As one of the original handful of "employees" before we got really big (160 employees in 6 countries) the IRS considered me a corporate "partner" and came after us for an equal share of ALL the missing tax revenue. It was eventually settled to where every employee (me included) would be liable only for their own salary tax bill. Of course, by the time this was all settled we no longer lived in Commiefornia, years had passed and now there were penalties and interest out the wazzzoooooo. My bill ended up being over $80k and led to the IRS garnishing my wages ... and I mean ALL my wages ... until it was paid. They didn't even leave us enough to pay our bills or even eat. So much for the gentler kinder IRS. Yeah, right. Right up the azz and they used sand.

I can't stress this enough. Get ... a ... tax ... attorney ... that knows what the hell they're doing. And be prepared to be azz raped by a 900 # gorilla.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
OP - what is it youre trying to accomplish exactly? if its to get a refund of income taxes you'd be owed if he had paid over what was withheld to IRS you need a tax lawyer or CPA. not an enrolled agent and not a labor lawyer.  but youre likely shit outta luck.

credit for FICA is another matter, but you still need the same type of professional help.

this shit happens a lot. its a surprise it went on for 7 years but it happens every day and the IRS sees it every day. maybe not the particular agent you talked to but its common. some employers are crooks and some are struggling to get by and for the latter not paying payroll withholdings is often the first thing they do when theyre strapped for cash.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have 5 check stubs from 2021 with federal withholding and social security from them

A lot of stuff I had got lost or misplaced during my last move
View Quote

That might be a sore point with the fed.gov. You need to save all that paper for years.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Was the last 7 years of your pay just straight pay or a combination of pay, OT and bonuses? Either way, sounds like a lawyer with expertise in financial forensics will be needed and paid for by the employer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Your angus. Pepper it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is happening to or has happened to multiple people that have worked for the company in the past.

View Quote

I don't have an answer but being they are others and a if all involved get the same lawyer, I would think suit against employer would do something. About a decade and half ago I had a few friends in a very similar situation. The only difference was, they knew the employer was doing it from day one and they never filed taxes themselves each year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not ragging the OP at all. Sorry you're going through this.

But it's a good reminder for everyone to create an account and check your social security account statement every year. The fact nothing was reported to SS would have been discovered the first year.

They used to mail them but stopped several years ago. And I'll bet many don't bother to check them anymore.
View Quote

This is what the woman from the IRS told me

My dad worked for the same company for 20 years and ran into a problem with Social security when he retired. Eventually they pushed it through and paid my pops $15,000 in back pay.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Even if you're late sending in your weekly tax payments by a couple of days on eftps, they stick it to you.

I'm sure they'll just settle for $30k or something like that after they make a donation to the DNC.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#40]
If I'm reading this right, the company nave gave the irs the money they withheld from you.  Get ready to write the IRS a check! Gonna have to go after the company to get your money back from them.  Good luck
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP - what is it youre trying to accomplish exactly? if its to get a refund of income taxes you'd be owed if he had paid over what was withheld to IRS you need a tax lawyer or CPA. not an enrolled agent and not a labor lawyer.  but youre likely shit outta luck.

credit for FICA is another matter, but you still need the same type of professional help.

this shit happens a lot. its a surprise it went on for 7 years but it happens every day and the IRS sees it every day. maybe not the particular agent you talked to but its common. some employers are crooks and some are struggling to get by and for the latter not paying payroll withholdings is often the first thing they do when theyre strapped for cash.

View Quote

I'm not worried about a return. I want my tax information sent to the irs for all the years I paid federal withholding and all the social security I paid into.

I'd also like to see my former employer (husband and wife) to rot in federally prison for the rest of their lives.

Sue for damages if possible but that's not as important to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They would hand out W2s yearly and I would file either turbo tax or H&R Block. As far as I know I don't owe the IRS anything. I never made anything more than $40,000/ year with this company
View Quote

Did you get tax returns back? Might owe them that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I'm reading this right, the company nave gave the irs the money they withheld from you.  Get ready to write the IRS a check! Gonna have to go after the company to get your money back from them.  Good luck
View Quote

There's no record I ever worked there.

eta: They received nothing from the company regarding me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't worry about it.  You've been filing for those seven years so you've committed no crime.  It's your former employer that the IRS Criminal Division love putting people behind bars and not you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your company sent you fraudulent W-2s (they withheld your federal taxes but didn't sent them in to IRS - then they are on the hook for tax fraud & other federal issues.

I'd send a certified letter to their legal & payroll department(s) stating that their lack of tax transcripts sent to the IRS are now giving you IRS issues for the reasons described, and demand a written response (ideally with copies of the tax transcripts showing your withholding forwarded to the IRS for those years).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Did you get tax returns back? Might owe them that?
View Quote

Yes. Each year

i don't owe them anything. I have no clue what the fuck is going on
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not worried about a return. I want my tax information sent to the irs for all the years I paid federal withholding and all the social security I paid into.

I'd also like to see my former employer (husband and wife) to rot in federally prison for the rest of their lives.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.justice.gov/tax/employment-tax-enforcement-0
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did they file your Social Security and Medicare Tax?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#49]
You need a tax attorney. You should be able to pull up all of your returns through h&r block.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did they file your Social Security and Medicare Tax?
View Quote

The lady at the IRS said if we don't have the information, social security wouldn't either.

I confirmed that with SS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top