Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2024 4:50:32 PM EDT
So...been at this location for 4 yrs.
I am quite sure we have the og mailbox.
It is fully functional..but does have rust patina...we are in the sticks..on a dirt road...it's awesome..well was until we get this.

We also got a new mail lady a couple of weeks ago.  Yes, there are much greater things to fret over.. but was very pissed.

I have an after photo, but not before.
Pic for reference..it looked exactly like this.

I rattle canned it..and looks like shit.

ETA. K so I know I have started drinking already..but am I the only one that see's a face on the front of the mailbox
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have made a bigger one and put the old one inside.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe they don't want to risk getting tetanus.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to confront the local Postmaster when a renter was given the exact same form.  Got him to admit it was not an official USPS form.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have painted it flesh color with veins or left a can of spray paint in the box with the flag up.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
They were probably afraid of the mail carrier getting tetanus

There used to be some kids around years ago that smashed a couple of our mailboxes.
So I bought one of the type made of very heavy gauge steel, it might be 1/8" thick - from home depot.
Must be powder coated paint,too.  Noone ever messed with it since - the baseball bat would probably bounce right back in their head.
It has never rusted either in all these years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd clear coat that motherfucker.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had to confront the local Postmaster when a renter was given the exact same form.  Got him to admit it was not an official USPS form.
View Quote

PS 4056 isn't an official form?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you at last paint it rust color ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]
It's what I was told.  Maybe he just wanted me to leave him alone.  @ProfessorFalken
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you at last paint it rust color ?
View Quote

Rusty Metal Primer brown is the best.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to clear coat it..but deep down I knew I'd loose and not get my damn mail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
You know... there are places you can go to get your mailbox bleached if the color is not to your liking...
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I would ask my mail carrier what his favorite color is and paint it.  But, then again...he's a nice guy and takes care of our stuff.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Neon green is best color for mailboxes
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]
should have just given it a clear coat.  Rusty patina on a mailbox in the country is a whole aesthetic man
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
If its brown, flush it down
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
should have just given it a clear coat.  Rusty patina on a mailbox in the country is a whole aesthetic man
View Quote

I am sitting here and regretting not making $ on this.  I sold a shittly rustly sink that was used in the barn for slaughtering for $200 to someone who drove from the coast (2hrs).
Should have pulled it and put a chYna box out there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is fully functional..but does have rust patina...we are in the sticks..on a dirt road...it's awesome..well was until we get this.

https://i.postimg.cc/YCncY9zZ/20240726-163327.jpg

We also got a new mail lady a couple of weeks ago.  Yes, there are much greater things to fret over.. but was very pissed.

https://i.postimg.cc/HLVq2gSx/20240726-163715.jpg

View Quote

Should have very lighly sanded it with scotch brite and clear coated it with high gloss clear. Your mailbox looked cool like that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I welded mine up out of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Unfortunately, they have your balls in a vice, because they'll simply shut down your delivery if you don't address their complaint
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#23]
When I lived in Milwaukie, OR, I had trouble with meth freaks stealing mail. The mailbox was on a setup with 4 other mailboxes across the street.   So I got a PO Box, and filled out a change of address form so all mail would go to the PO Box, not the mailbox on the street.  I got a copy of the receipt for the PO Box and change of address.  

The mailman continued to deliver to the mailbox, so I went to the post office and spoke with the post master.  He told me that I would need to fill out a change of address form and I said "like this one?" and showed him a copy of the change of address form I previously filed.
He asked me to fill out another one, so I did, and again kept a copy.

They continued to deliver to the mailbox...so again I went to the post master..a different one came to the desk, and we went through the same scenario where he asked me to fill out a change of address form and I said "like these?" and I showed the two previous ones.  I filled out a third change of address form.

They continued to deliver mail to the mailbox on the street.  So I went out to the street and physically took the mailbox with my address on it off the post.  A couple of days later a mailman came to my door to advise me that the mailbox was gone.  I said that all mail was to be directed to the local Post office box.  He said I would need to fill out a change of address form, and I could resist, I retrieved the three previous forms and said "like these?"   He looked sort of sheepish, and asked what happened to the mailbox, and I told him I removed it so they might finally forward mail to the PO Box.  He said "you can't do that", to which I responded, "I can, and I did, or you wouldn't be standing on my porch right now.  Please forward all mail to the PO Box."   Me mumbled something and left..I never heard any more about it and I never again had a mailbox at that house.  My mail stopped disappearing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Before today I never knew there were so many things that could be considered wrong with a mail box.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's what I was told.  Maybe he just wanted me to leave him alone.  @ProfessorFalken
View Quote

@diamond_c
It’s listed on the USPS site as one of their forms.

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub223/223c3form.htm
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I totally see the face OP.
And Im sober.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#27]
If you trim the weeds around the mailbox it will appear bigger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's referenced on the USPS website: https://about.usps.com/what/business-services/delivery-growth-management/assets/pdf/section-623.pdf
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@diamond_c
It’s listed on the USPS site as one of their forms.

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub223/223c3form.htm
View Quote

Good to know. Thank you!  I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Do like a kid I used to know did....
Gather yourself up a good amount of garter snakes, shove them in the box and flip the flag up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck the government
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Yup, clear coat over it
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

This is the way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Before today I never knew there were so many things that could be considered wrong with a mail box.
View Quote

This.  You know, I really don't need USPS mail that bad.  Most of my stuff is FedEx and UPS these days.  USPS is only for bills, junk mail, and bad news generally.  I can live without that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought that the mailbox was the property of the US Postal Service.  But where I live, virtually nobody uses one unless they are rural.  There are probably less than a dozen boxes in my town - and I assumed they were allowed because the individuals were not able to go to the Post Office.  FWIW - my Father was the rural mail carrier for many years.

I do know one of my ranch neighbors had to move their mailbox back to an official post.  He was tired of it getting knocked over - and he was a well driller.  So he drilled a 10' deep hole and dropped in a 4" steel pipe - with an inverted L on the top to hold his box.  Under the box was a wash kettle filled with dirt (so several hundred lbs).  His old kettle is still there - but his box is back on a break away pole.  Apparently mail carriers sometimes skid to a stop and they were afraid they might rip off the side of the mail truck if they got too close to his.  My father's mail truck (family still has it) has some nice scratches where he slid into boxes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was going to clear coat it..but deep down I knew I'd loose and not get my damn mail.
View Quote

Isn't that a win? Nothing good comes by snail mail.

Paint it red and put MAGA on it in white.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Clear coat it. Rusty patina is badass
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was the answer!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I did.  They never said.another word to me about it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#42]
My parents postal carrier is so cool that if he asked me to break concrete and make the box three inches higher I probably would. He folds the bigger stuff around the smaller stuff. Friendly as heck. If there’s such a thing as postman school he was valedictorian.
My house is normal, just shit stuffed in and broken. Sometimes stolen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#43]
not dangerous

fuck em
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd paint it Pepto-Bismol Pink.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to tell folk if they don't like the mail they get to just rip their mailbox out of the ground and throw it in the ditch. That will stop the mail and though the USPS might bitch at first eventually they will stop.
I was a letter carrier for a few years. There were always houses that didn't have mailboxes. Just bypassed them and returned any mail sent to that address.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell yes I see the face. You should sell on eBay for 1000 bucks
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/YCncY9zZ/20240726-163327.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/HLVq2gSx/20240726-163715.jpg

ETA. K so I know I have started drinking already..but am I the only one that see's a face on the front of the mailbox
View Quote

The face is there, and I haven't been drinking. You should highlight it so the postal carrier sees it...
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Clear coat it. Rusty patina is badass
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Another vote for clear coat. Ya know ya want to.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Should have painted it flesh color with veins

View Quote

Or paint it white.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top