Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2022 6:21:39 PM EDT
There is an easement that runs behind my yard for the utilities(power,water,sewer,cable,phone), it's been an overgrown jungle since I bought the house. I call the power company every year complaining about the transformer being over grown and they come out to spray some chemicals on it.  Well their neglect finally caught up and the transformer blew this morning. They came out and replaced the blown transformer early this afternoon.   After I got home from my shop I noticed my yard if FUCKED from the tracked vehicle they drove through it, not only that all the brush they cleared is laying in my back yard. I called customer service and the nice lady said this is NOT their SOP, that they would send out a crew tomorrow to survey the damage/clean up what they did.   What should I expect? Will my yard be restored?  Have you experienced this before?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
They should restore it to the way it was. If they don’t, escalate things up the chain and hope they make it right before you have to get a lawyer involved.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Had something similar happen 2 weeks ago with vdot. They were trimming trees and decided to drop brush on the edge of our wooded property. Normally I would not care but they drove over a grave in a private cemetery to get there sunk it pretty good. Wife called the super, not sure how it's going to play out
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
They should at least clean up and make it as close to the way it was as they can.

They probably will hire a shitty outsourced local crew, so don't expect much.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
They normally do a good job around here. YMMV.

Ultimately it's a big country with a zillion utility companies so your experience is going to be unique.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d just be happy they restored the power.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they were already planning on coming back tomorrow?
Shit you said they came out and did it this afternoon. Those guys might need a break too at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Try to never buy property with easements you dont want to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d just be happy they restored the power.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shit you said they came out and did it this afternoon. Those guys might need a break too at the end of the day.
View Quote

power was restored at 1pm.  I know they're union but there's a lot of work day left after that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Not even MS Paint?

I am disappoint....
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]
pics?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Ours was never repaired after the call.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I came to talk shit about how you probably agreed to it somewhere, but it sounds like you're covered and they will fix it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Ameren? Around here they will have a landscape company come by and fix it. Probably will be a few weeks. I know for a fact they have a form to fill out for that type of thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Easement runs right thru my property, they clean up when the next cleanup crew follows em.
Usually 1-2 days.
I've never called and complained either.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The track machine requires mats unless the ground is super dry.  It will fuck grass up for sure.  The brush could go either way.  Some times it's customer's responsibility as long as it's not up in the wires.  If it was just ground brush for access, I'd leave it if I were at your house.  If you asked me to take it, I would though out of courtesy.  If you were a dick, I'd leave it.

Edit: some spelling
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The track machine requires mats unless the ground is super dry.  It will fuck grass up for sure.  The brush could go either way.  Some times it's customers responsibility as long as it's not up in the wires.  If it was just grouns brush for access, I'd leave it if I were at your house.  If you asked me to take it, I would though out of courtesy.  If you were a dick, I'd leave it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
stop what you are doing and go take pics.
now.
everything....damage, debris, etc. Have a witness view it too, if possible.
Who ever is responsible will do all they can to shift responsibility...otherwise they wouldnt have done/left it in the 1st place.
Get your documentation just in case.
Do this before they come back, clean up the junk and leave, only to then claim they never actually damaged the yard and your making crap up to get new grass!

< had my fence builders new hire, intentionally drive the fully loaded Co. truck & trailer thru my literally brand new $21k yard, despite there being a clear, fresh & open driveway for his use.
Tore it all up real bad, as it hadn't fully rooted yet and he made sure to spin the tires thru most of his fun adventure.
When confronted, newbie literally told me "oh, ya hey man, $#@! happens"
He was promptly removed from my property, then fired by the Co owner who then had to hire a landscaper to come repair & replace at his cost and gave me $2500 off my new fence.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
stop what you are doing and go take pics.
now.
everything....damage, debris, etc. Have a witness view it too, if possible.
Who ever is responsible will do all they can to shift responsibility...otherwise they wouldnt have done/left it in the 1st place.
Get your documentation just in case.
Do this before they come back, clean up the junk and leave, only to then claim they never actually damaged the yard and your making crap up to get new grass!

< had my fence builders new hire, intentionally drive the fully loaded Co. truck & trailer thru my literally brand new $21k yard, despite there being a clear, fresh & open driveway for his use.
Tore it all up real bad, as it hadn't fully rooted yet and he made sure to spin the tires thru most of his fun adventure.
When confronted, newbie told me "he man, $#@! happens"
He was promptly removed from my property, then fired by the Co owner who then had to hire a landscaper to come repair & replace at his cost and gave me $2500 off my new fence.

View Quote
username checks out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty much par for the course most of the times I've had the power company out. Ruts and pieces of wire mostly. Here in town they broke one of the posts on our privacy fence a few weeks ago... I'll fix it instead of having to deal with them. Not worth the headaches or my time trying to get them to fix it. At the farm they made ruts along the driveway replacing a pole that snapped during a storm this spring. I've been catching it when the ground is soft and making a few passes over them with a tractor and they're just about gone... no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
username checks out.
View Quote

lol, Ive gotten that alot on this forum with that name..!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#22]
City tore up my parents yard with tracked vehicles. They complained and the city came out and laid new sod.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a city tracked vehicle tear up my yard once. They sent a crew out to restore landscape to the way it was before the damage.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I got tired of that shit so I preemptively had 100% of the trees in my utility easement cut down and planted new ones 10-15 feet in front of it so they no longer had an excuse to come by every year or two and trash my back yard.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.  Left them nothing to come back and trim in the future.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
You cant profit from supplying utilities “at any cost”. They have easement rights and in some cases can have to screw shit up, but they must fix it back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Just being honest
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#27]
You don’t maintain your yard, and now expect the power company to repair your yard to better than your own neglect?

LOL.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#28]
The guys who fix your power and the guys who fix your yard are two different crews. I wouldn’t be surprised if it took them a week or two to get to it. They might even contract your yard repair out to some other company.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#29]
The real sad part is guys can't figure out how to replace a transformer without a track machine.  I could do it with two guys and no machine easily.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

power was restored at 1pm.  I know they're union but there's a lot of work day left after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not it you start at 6:00 am
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You don’t maintain your yard, and now expect the power company to repair your yard to better than your own neglect?

LOL.
View Quote

My yard is wonderfully maintained.  I don't maintain land that isn't mine. I also don't appreciate union fucks damaging my yard.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Easements are there.  In legal terms, they have right to access those easements to perform their job.  Especially since I assume you called and told them your power was out and they were there at your request.

While they will likely clean the mess back up, the crew that did the work today, probably had no spare trailer to put all the debris they had to clear out of the way to fix your power is my guess and likely dropped what they already had scheduled already to do just that and the even more bitter truth is by doing so likely put them so far behind they'll have to reschedule other stuff that was already scheduled.

While I have never worked for your electric company, we'd try to make the customer happy if possible.  But, if it was so impassable that we had to hire a bulldozer to get a truck to the pole, it doesn't really sound like your landscaping is as immaculate as you claim and especially since you wrote in the first post that you've asked them to clear it before.  The utility company is under no obligation to maintain the right of way on your property.  That really falls onto the landowner.  The utility only has right to access it to do their job, which you asked them to do and they did

Myself, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I'm just going by what you yourself have written and that may not be what you want to hear.  But, that's the blunt truth of the matter.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL.
View Quote

No shit.  If I can keep a power pole or line, on my property, from getting unsafe, I'm chopping down some brush/trees, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Years back city workers dropped trees in my parents yard.
The skipped the trim and cut them all down.

Mayor came out, apologized, and said to go pick out replacement trees and send him the bill.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
An easement on YOUR PROPERTY is still YOUR PROPERTY, and YOU are responsible for keeping it maintained (cleared) to your standards.

Letting it get overgrown so it becomes someone else's problem means they're gonna come and treat it like shit, since it's not their property and it's just another day at work for them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The track machine requires mats unless the ground is super dry.  It will fuck grass up for sure.  The brush could go either way.  Some times it's customer's responsibility as long as it's not up in the wires.  If it was just ground brush for access, I'd leave it if I were at your house.  If you asked me to take it, I would though out of courtesy.  If you were a dick, I'd leave it.

Edit: some spelling
View Quote
I don't think ive ever seen them haul in matting for a backyard machine. Id bet they will fix it, but it may take a few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There is an easement that runs behind my yard for the utilities(power,water,sewer,cable,phone), it's been an overgrown jungle since I bought the house. I call the power company every year complaining about the transformer being over grown and they come out to spray some chemicals on it.  Well their neglect finally caught up and the transformer blew this morning. They came out and replaced the blown transformer early this afternoon.   After I got home from my shop I noticed my yard if FUCKED from the tracked vehicle they drove through it, not only that all the brush they cleared is laying in my back yard. I called customer service and the nice lady said this is NOT their SOP, that they would send out a crew tomorrow to survey the damage/clean up what they did.   What should I expect? Will my yard be restored?  Have you experienced this before?
View Quote

Their claims section will look at it and either pay to have it fixed or pay you what it would cost to fix it
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My yard is wonderfully maintained.  I don't maintain land that isn't mine. I also don't appreciate union fucks damaging my yard.
View Quote
While i am not a union fan, lineman are generally great guys. I suspect we have quite a few here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#39]
We should start a GoFundMe to get OP a digital camera so we can all see what the fuck he's talking about.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Years ago, had the meter reader at my shop (they did that back then) drive his 4wd truck right up beside the meter after a week of rain and left 6 inch deep ruts in my grass.  He normally stopped at drive end and walked the 30 feet to the meter.

Called the EMC and next day, they had a crew out filling in ruts back to smooth. They asked if I wanted re-sodding, but they were nice about it and so was I. Told them thanks for the smooth yard, and the grass would take back over the dirt in a few months.

Don't blame the whole company for one idiot's mistakes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#41]
So....you couldn't even give them until the next day to see what happens before you started a thread whining?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Experience it? I do it on a daily basis. If you would prefer, they could leave your power off while they schedule a ground tree crew to come in and clean the right of way to your expectations, wait for the ground to dry and then change your can out. Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks, providing no more storms roll through and they go on 16 hr days getting the storm damage repaired. Somebody will be out to look at it and a crew will be by to fix the damaged yard so I'd just be happy the lights are back on so quickly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, call back as soon as they open in the morning and tell 'em they've got an hour to fix it or you're gonna cancel your service.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Experience it? I do it on a daily basis. If you would prefer, they could leave your power off while they schedule a ground tree crew to come in and clean the right of way to your expectations, wait for the ground to dry and then change your can out. Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks, providing no more storms roll through and they go on 16 hr days getting the storm damage repaired. Somebody will be out to look at it and a crew will be by to fix the damaged yard so I'd just be happy the lights are back on so quickly.
View Quote

Never seen "respect my authority" from a power company guy before.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Same thing happened here.

Power company fucked up my yard getting to the easement and left a chunky trail of mud going back down my driveway when they left. They left all the tree debris they removed from the power lines (storm topped a tree on the other side of the easement from me) in the easement and in my yard. Dropped debris on my fence, damaging it as well. Apparently they were just going to ignore that it happened. We were out of town for a week and didn't see the damage until we got home. During that time, we never heard from the power company, so I contacted them and escalated until I got the attention of the regional manager who ended up sending me her field agent. By the time they were done fucking around and dragging their feet, I had cleaned up their mess except for the deep ruts in my yard and fixed the fence.

Since our power company is a co-op and preaches community and membership, I had to shame them into making it right. They ended up fixing my yard and reimbursing me for my time and materials. The funny thing was, they could have entered the easement less than 50 yards up the road and not tore up my yard or driveway.

The final insult was a few months after they sent me the reimbursement check. The field agent called and asked If I had received the check. When I replied that I did, he told me he would email me a form to sign saying I had received the check so they could close the case. What he sent was a "hold harmless" agreement to sign, absolving the power company from any responsibility for what they did to my yard. I kindly told them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#46]
You probably don't want linemen fixing the yard. We have claims and contractors for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Take pics and document, and chill.

The guys doing the repairs are not the same guys doing the restoration. The crews moved on to something g else, the landscapers will be by soon.

I do this all the time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Give 'em a chance to make it right tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#49]
OP sounds lazy.

And a Karen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP sounds lazy.

And a Karen.
View Quote

Fair username.  All edge, no point.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top