BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The “pay it forward” analogy is apt if each person has to pay for more food for the person behind them since the payer to payee ratio keeps decreasing.

And your whole grasshopper part is off target as well since as you said nobody is dying in the streets today.  In the end, the taxpayers pay for Social Security as well as the other welfare programs.

The only thing you accidentally almost get right is that the FICA tax is flat and everyone with earned income pays in to some extent unlike the income tax, but you miss that point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I'll try once more without the math since I see that it is confusing to you.

Concept 1:

Imagine you are in the Chick-fil-a drive through.  You go to receive your Spicy Chicken Sandwich and the person manning the drive through window tells you it has been paid for by the car in front of you.  You in turn pay for the car behind you, who in turn pays for the car behind them, ad infinitum.

Under this model, did you get a free sandwich, or did you pay for it?  I'll assume you're clever enough to realize it was not free, and there is functionally no difference between "paying it forward" and paying for something directly.  Under either scenario, you have one sandwich and you have $5 less.

Concept 2:

I assume you are familiar with The Ant and the Grasshopper by Aesop.

In the fable, the Grasshopper dies of hunger.  Our reality is that Grasshopper takes part of the Ant's food (via taxes and redistribution).  This means less for the Ant.

Now imagine that as the Grasshopper hops about, there was a mechanism to force the Grasshopper to save some food, not necessarily enough, but some.  That would mean he would eventually take less of the Ant's food than if that mechanism did not exist.

Conclusion

We acknowledge that "paying forward" is the same as paying for it.

We acknowledge that if we require the Grasshopper to pay for something, it ultimately means a bit more for the Ant (or rather that the Ant will eventually subsidize the Grasshopper less).

While it could be improved in many ways, this is fundamentally what social security is.

Whether it is a "tax" is irrelevant.  
The “pay it forward” analogy is apt if each person has to pay for more food for the person behind them since the payer to payee ratio keeps decreasing.

And your whole grasshopper part is off target as well since as you said nobody is dying in the streets today.  In the end, the taxpayers pay for Social Security as well as the other welfare programs.

The only thing you accidentally almost get right is that the FICA tax is flat and everyone with earned income pays in to some extent unlike the income tax, but you miss that point.
Lol, I guess it is reading comprehension.

I’ll leave you to ponder it a bit more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lol, I guess it is reading comprehension.

I’ll leave you to ponder it a bit more.
View Quote
Clearly that and not your pointless points.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top