BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is this a secret feature  I've know about it for over a decade. 
View Quote
Well you're pretty cool then. Isn't that what you wanted to hear?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Three generations of copies, then a B&W scan or fax.

Edit:  I was doing call center tech support for printers and copiers back in 2001, and this had already been around for a while on color copiers and printers.  I wouldn't expect someone who didn't understand the concept of logging print jobs on a server to understand this, but I would question how the hell she got a security clearance.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/461/Good_Luck_I_m_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if I print anything that is restricted, I should make a photocopy and throw the original away.

10-4
Which will just add the tracking dots of your copier.
Three generations of copies, then a B&W scan or fax.

Edit:  I was doing call center tech support for printers and copiers back in 2001, and this had already been around for a while on color copiers and printers.  I wouldn't expect someone who didn't understand the concept of logging print jobs on a server to understand this, but I would question how the hell she got a security clearance.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/461/Good_Luck_I_m_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg
Barack Hussein Obama.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
For some folks, internet is hard.

Could have just printed it and then OCR'd it and avoided any chance of this. Then print on inkjet or put it on a USB stick they paid with cash.

Handing over a hard copy of any document that was laser printed is a douchebag newbie mistake.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Odds are the technology is in that one as well.

This was part of how they tracked down the Citizens' Commission to Investigate the FBI back in 1971
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lpt monochrome laser from 1994 ftw!

This was part of how they tracked down the Citizens' Commission to Investigate the FBI back in 1971
According to Wikipedia, the case was closed, unsolved, when the statute of limitations ran out, without any suspects being positively identified.  No one was ever charged in conjunction with the group's only known action of breaking into an FBI office and then releasing stolen documents to the media.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Steps for success:

Purchase throw-away digital camera with cash from a store. Smuggle in.

Pull up document on computer. Take pictures of document.

Use public computer in a library or something to access a throwaway email account through a public proxy server. Scrub EXIF data from pictures, send to reporter.

Destroy camera. Destroy memory card.
View Quote
That's cool other than the possible cameras at the library, access logging on documents, email tracking logging a timeline and access point, and every camera on a gas station, bank, and random house between the workplace and the library.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buy a used printer from a guy walking around a gun show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:the question is how to defeat it!
Use a public printer at a library, school, or Kinkos.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Just cut the edges off the paper...
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Just because you didn't know something exists doesn't make it a secret, it just makes you ignorant.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
wat
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
In this thread Ive learned that people think they are smart if they state that theyve known about printer dots for like, ever.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Steps for success:

Use public computer in a library or something to access a throwaway email account through a public proxy server. Scrub EXIF data from pictures, send to reporter.

View Quote
There's a few problems with that plan.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
lol at "secret".  It's only a secret to anyone not in the computer, printer or cyber security business.

I can think of a lot of things in my business that someone not in that business won't know, none of them are secrets.

Well, except for the special mod to Google Glass that let's us see through women's clothing, now that's a real secret.  Wait...I didn't just say that....I did NOT say that!  
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Nothing new here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Use a public printer at a library, school, or Kinkos.
View Quote
No security cameras at any of those places. Nope, none at all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steps for success:

This.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Steps for success:

View Quote
Get the proxy logs via government strongarm tactics, get the time the email was sent and the IP address. Get video footage from library security cams. Use face recognition software for known people. Oh look, someone who works for the NSA was here at that time. Time for an interview.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can tell you that a lot of public libraries do not have security cameras at all, or if they do have security cameras they do not work properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No security cameras at any of those places. Nope, none at all.
I can tell you that a lot of public libraries do not have security cameras at all, or if they do have security cameras they do not work properly.
I prefer to have a zero tolerance for things that could get me fingered if I'm a source.  When reporting, I also won't identify sources.

Only at the most highly trusted levels would names be mentioned, and then only as necessary.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's just one of any number of ways to track someone who printed a document.

She fucked herself completely. If you're going to try and smuggle secrets, you should probably have some understanding of how technology works. She could have gotten away with this in any number of ways.

This is a recurring theme with the libtards. Hillary's servers and the DNC got hacked because apparently nobody in her circle of power had any fucking idea how computers work.
View Quote

QFT!!

"But, but, if the Russians weren't colluding with the RNC, there would be tons of RNC hacks too!"

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that A- the RNC is smart enough to hire good IT people and B- if they are/were doing illegal/immoral shit, they are smart enough to not do it via gmail and on their intranet
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

...then you wouldn't be leaking in the first place.

There is some risk involved in the decision to break the law in the first place.

Had she followed the steps I outlined, it is highly unlikely she'd be facing criminal charges ATM. She'd be under some level of suspicion, but so would the other 6 who accessed the document. Re-tracing the steps of all those people would have been difficult and time consuming.

Luckily she made it stupid easy...which is why she was in cuffs mere hours after the story went live.
View Quote
I don't play those games in a government setting. Think of it more as avoiding the Hawthorne effect in a corporate setting.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When will the media be held accountable for accepting known classified info?
View Quote
When the Democrats want to prosecute a Republican for leaking information........
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a secret to dumbass millennials.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I am wondering if one can pull the color cartridge out and print in B/W and avoid this???
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I knew about that!! That's why counterfeiters seek out and buy those older printers!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am wondering if one can pull the color cartridge out and print in B/W and avoid this???
View Quote
What happens if the yellow runs out of ink?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Who didn't know that laser printers have this security feature?

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's kinda cool. unfortunately that cat is out of the bag now. many wont read it or pay attention to it though.
View Quote
What?  In IT this is common knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#31]
You mean to tell me the NSA has better resolution on our printers than I'm able to access as the buyer/owner of the printer?

Seriously, some of the dog shit I've seen HP printers put out over the years, I'm shocked anyone can decipher anything.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Secrets are everywhere.. Usually hidden in books and technical specs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This particular tech has been in widespread use for as long as I can remember and it isn't a secret .... at all.
Secrets are everywhere.. Usually hidden in books and technical specs.
Sigline material, fo' sho'
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's just one of any number of ways to track someone who printed a document.

She fucked herself completely. If you're going to try and smuggle secrets, you should probably have some understanding of how technology works. She could have gotten away with this in any number of ways.

This is a recurring theme with the libtards. Hillary's servers and the DNC got hacked because apparently nobody in her circle of power had any fucking idea how computers work. anything works.  
View Quote

Because in order to be the "supreme being" in that group of morons, you only have to reach the level known as "potato".
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]
no so secret anymore .
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hmm, wonder if there will be a lawsuit against the federal government now.

- constitutioncenter.org/
View Quote
Thanks for that...  was wondering where they were going with it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:the question is how to defeat it!
Or get one of Arfcom's printer repairmen on the inside
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The majority of which do not work. I can tell you stories for days. But that is the point of using a public proxy...even if they can see you went to the library on a camera system, tracking an email to the workstation you used is difficult. Public libraries often have a hear no evil, see no evil approach to what is going on in their facility.  They often actively destroy useful data simply because they do not wish to be involved in any investigations.

That's the biggest problem right there. Access document with credentials and there should be a damn good reason for it. If not, you are immediately under suspicion. It would be difficult to actually prove a criminal charge just based on having accessed
SNIP
View Quote
Don't assume that all copies of a secret or classified document provided to multiple people are the same identical document. Counterintelligence 101.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#39]
This Spy Lasted Years--No Printing, No Removal From Workplace

She kept it in her head and then went home and wrote it down.  Some years later, she bought a word processor or laptop.That  nailed her as she submitted it as an expense to the Cubans.  A CIA mole in the DGI told them " the mole bought a laptop in this part of Virginia on this date".  Credit  card record search .
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This particular tech has been in widespread use for as long as I can remember and it isn't a secret .... at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's kinda cool. unfortunately that cat is out of the bag now. many wont read it or pay attention to it though.
I was taught about it at the first digital color school I went to in the early 2000s.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was taught about it at the first digital color school I went to in the early 2000s.
View Quote
Is it possible to change the ID# in the service software?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]
What I don't get is that without the NSA having received the document to backtrack the printer stuff how would she have been caught?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Mailing it from the town she lives in helped too. Besides being stupid, she was really stupid.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When will the media be held accountable for accepting known classified info?
View Quote
When it becomes illegal.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#45]
You mean like wipe it with a cloth?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What I don't get is that without the NSA having received the document to backtrack the printer stuff how would she have been caught?
View Quote

Once it was published by the Intercept, they would have done the same search, narrowed down to the same six people, and immediately zeroed in on her because she emailed the press from her work computer.  The investigators didn't need the press' help to catch her, they simply provided some extra help for her prosecution.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This Spy Lasted Years--No Printing, No Removal From Workplace

She kept it in her head and then went home and wrote it down.  Some years later, she bought a word processor or laptop.That  nailed her as she submitted it as an expense to the Cubans.  A CIA mole in the DGI told them " the mole bought a laptop in this part of Virginia on this date".  Credit  card record search .
View Quote
Intelligence is a bitch of a game.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top