BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metal coffins were until the last century were reserved for royalty due to the cost. Go through history and you find some kings, queens etc buried in cast bronze, copper or lead lined boxes, but until recently it was too expensive to do that for most people. You got wrapped in a blanket or sheet, maybe a wooden casket if you were well off in an established area and buried as you died, no embalming done. Todays "sanitary" regulations are rooted in science a little, but a concrete enclosure holding a metal coffin with a totally embalmed body inside that is going to last for eons just as it is; is more than a little overkill.
View Quote

That's very sensible and well thought out. I have no counters to what you've posted.

I just don't trust it man. I don't know why but I just don't trust it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm curious if there's safety issues with it. Like bringing viruses and stuff into the water supply.

I have done zero research on the matter, nor pondered it for more than 2 seconds. But seems like maybe we have been doing this for thousands of years for good reason.
View Quote

You are asking correct questions.

When I looked into it there was a bit more than tossing the body in a bin and waiting.  The body is mixed in with microbes that will aggressively target soft tissue and break it down.  Some mention heat used in the process that would likely kill anything we'd be concerned about.  The skeletal remains are removed after several weeks and pulverized mechanically then returned to the compost.  The now open pores of the bone can be broken down by the microbes.  Nature does this stuff every day and as long as good practices like not dumping the composed remains near water sources, or plant crops for immediate consumption over the compost I dont see how the stuff we would be concerned about would live even a month or two in the soil as they dont have the things they needed to multiply in the body available.

Short news video below discussed the process and shows some scenes of a working facility in WA state.

Behind-the-scenes look at human composting in Washington state
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Metal coffins were until the last century were reserved for royalty due to the cost. Go through history and you find some kings, queens etc buried in cast bronze, copper or lead lined boxes, but until recently it was too expensive to do that for most people. You got wrapped in a blanket or sheet, maybe a wooden casket if you were well off in an established area and buried as you died, no embalming done. Todays "sanitary" regulations are rooted in science a little, but a concrete enclosure holding a metal coffin with a totally embalmed body inside that is going to last for eons just as it is; is more than a little overkill.
View Quote
Whats the point of hermetically sealed if the plot lease is only for 99 or 100 years? They just dig you up, incinerate whats left then rent out your hole again?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top