BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id give anything if my daughter had a second or third or fourth chance, been awhile but still think about her every day.
View Quote
I'm sincerely sorry for your loss.
Heroin and it's ilk are a horrible plague.  There are no simple answers and the longer it takes to find a solution, the larger the number of parents that will join the ranks of the grieving.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do we think addicts are very aware of Narcan and it's ability to save them.?
View Quote
Lol... I run across junkies daily that have a 2mg nasal dose in their pocket.

I've also been fortunate enough to encounter more than one person who has told me that they intentionally shot an OD after dialing 911 for themselves because they claim that the experience of narcan bringing them back is a rush 'like no other'.  I know for a fact that at least two of them have since put themselves into bodybags via OD... guessing they rolled the dice on a squad being close enough and lost that bet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Isnt the Narcan taking away the best chance to get clean forever?
View Quote
yeah, maybe for one its od and narcan  and for another its going through a blind tapered methadone regimen and for another its  going through complete withdrawal
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OK, so you want to include the areas around you that makes up an area about the size of New Jersey and compare it to the 9,000,000 people here or should I include the other 15,000,000 people within 100 miles.
View Quote
no reallly its called kc metro its real

you can call where you live whatever you want

You can have a billion if you want
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do we think addicts are very aware of Narcan and it's ability to save them.?
View Quote
They have heroin parties with narcan available.

So,  yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The son of a guy I know was revived something like 11 times, 8 times by his father.  Finally, his mother found him dead in bed.  He was 28.  Another guy I know has a son 23 who is in jail awaiting trial for several counts of aggravated robbery with a firearm spec.  He's caught up in drugs as well.  Both families are upper middle class suburbanites.

The number of chances narcan gives these kids aren't capitalized on it would appear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They have heroin parties with narcan available.

So,  yes.
View Quote
narcan puts you in withdrawal mode but you can reup at parties not so much at the hospital or in the ambo
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The real treat is Narcaning someone twice in one shift. FD showed up, gave the person Narcan, and then transported them to the hospital.

The person was released and overdosed again in the same night with the same paramedics still working.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it's on my dime, you're damn straight I'll complain about it.
View Quote
+1
Do whatever you want
but when shit goes sideways, don't come looking through my pockets for help, your shit choices should not affect anyone outside of your family
this applies to all sorts of retarded shit:
base jumping, motorcycling without a helmet, climbing without safety equipment
...and so on
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
First off, I have no personal knowledge of addiction.  But I have an question that I haven't ever seen addressed.  When I think of addiction, I imagine someone who wants to quit, but finds the physiological symptoms of withdrawal intolerable.  It seems to me that the media at large assume everyone is in this category.    But is it possible that some people just like to get high?  That wouldn't have the slightest interest in getting clean because they enjoy the high?  What hope is there for them?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish my little sister would have received Narcan. DOA 26 yrs old with a 6 yr old son.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]
yep, some people
just like to get high and dont care or
they think they are too far gone or have made to big a mess
so just stay high so they dont face to face up
one size does not fit all here

sometimes addicts have no intention of quitting until they hit the jail cell
taking their kids sometimes works
you just never know where along the sliding scale they might have the desire and the moment of clarity needed
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Many folks would be surprised at how many heroin or opioid addicts want to get out of the heroin buying loop.  I used to work in a state that required anyone on parole or probation to get official permission before they would be allowed into a Methadone program (alternative to heroin that has treatment with it).  I was one of the state level people who could grant permission to enter those programs.  

I figured that anyone who has enough sack to ask me if I would grant permission really wants to get out of the loop, and is asking for help.  Asking for help is one of the hardest things to get to, so I NEVER denied permission for anyone who asked me to enter those programs.

At the very least, even if they stay addicted to methadone, they are out of the loop of having to do crimes to score so the don't get sick from withdrawal.  And that is a cost savings for society.  It is buckets cheaper to give them methadone than it is to catch, prosecute, incarcerate, and process people through the system.  People get clean when they want to, not any sooner.

An additional odd thought is that Fentanyl is so powerful that around 20 pounds of pure fentanyl could probably probably supply every heroin addict in the country with enough opioid to keep them off heroin for a year.  Think of the cost savings if they just gave it away, (although the bureaucracy to do so would be staggering.).   It is an odd thought to give opioids away, but then the question about do we use narcan, or do we tell those who take the free fentanyl that they are automatically precluded from receiving narcan.  It brings up some interesting morality questions, and questions about how society wants to handle the opioid addiction issue.
View Quote
I work with several correctional facilities, one state has a Vivitriol program working with the manufacturer (similar to Narcan, but long acting-lasts about 4 weeks). 

Patients enter the program that last several weeks, go through counseling, then prior to release get a "free"* shot of Vivitriol. Follow up care is coordinated to make sure they can get monthly shots afterwards. 

I was skeptical, but they are getting pretty good results. End goal is to reduce recidivism rates and early on it appears to be working. 

I don't think it is a cure all but is an option for a semi-motivated individual. 

* Free to correctional department, but follow-up shots are usually paid through insurance, most of the time Medicaid. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Something I hadn't considered before is that there is an immense industry build up around selling opioids, and Narcan.  Other parts of that industry are police, courts, district attorney's, corrections, parole and probation, work release programs, hospital detox, and all the treatment programs out there.   If we allowed all the junkies to simply die when they OD, then all the people employed in those industries would be kinda hard pressed to justify their employment.  

I realize all the liberals would shout about how we have to save all those souls, but I wonder how loudly they would shout if paying into those industries was on THEIR dime, rather than on everyone's dime.  If payments into all those industries and payments for all the narcan was voluntary, I wonder how many people would be coughing up the money to buy more and more narcan rather than just allowing Darwin's theory to run it's course?

If drug use was legal with the understanding that the government would not pay for narcan, I wonder if things would change.   Drug addicts would be able to OD without anyone rescuing them from themselves.  Why should society continue rescuing people who persist in making self destructive choices?  Is it really society's responsibility to rescue people from themselves?  And if so, how does society decide at which level of self destructive behavior it will intervene?  Will they intervene with steroids, financial decisions, alcohol, driving too fast, being an idiot and doing stupid "hold my beer and watch this" stuff?  For those who say only in case of life and death, does society intervene the moment someone heads toward what will eventually be self destructive, or do we wait until they stop breathing?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Something I hadn't considered before is that there is an immense industry build up around selling opioids, and Narcan.  Other parts of that industry are police, courts, district attorney's, corrections, parole and probation, work release programs, hospital detox, and all the treatment programs out there.   If we allowed all the junkies to simply die when they OD, then all the people employed in those industries would be kinda hard pressed to justify their employment.  

I realize all the liberals would shout about how we have to save all those souls, but I wonder how loudly they would shout if paying into those industries was on THEIR dime, rather than on everyone's dime.  If payments into all those industries and payments for all the narcan was voluntary, I wonder how many people would be coughing up the money to buy more and more narcan rather than just allowing Darwin's theory to run it's course?

If drug use was legal with the understanding that the government would not pay for narcan, I wonder if things would change.   Drug addicts would be able to OD without anyone rescuing them from themselves.  Why should society continue rescuing people who persist in making self destructive choices?  Is it really society's responsibility to rescue people from themselves?  And if so, how does society decide at which level of self destructive behavior it will intervene?  Will they intervene with steroids, financial decisions, alcohol, driving too fast, being an idiot and doing stupid "hold my beer and watch this" stuff?  For those who say only in case of life and death, does society intervene the moment someone heads toward what will eventually be self destructive, or do we wait until they stop breathing?
View Quote
..all the while  the .gov is getting ready to throw tens if not hundreds of billions of somebodys money at this problem and will probably be buying narcan by the tanker load .
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
No, it allows druggies to be even more irresponsible and self-destructive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wish my little sister would have received Narcan. DOA 26 yrs old with a 6 yr old son.
View Quote
I'm sorry for your loss and saying this with respect intended...  I wish your sister had thought of that 6 yr old son when she was doing what she was doing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OK, so you want to include the areas around you that makes up an area about the size of New Jersey and compare it to the 9,000,000 people here or should I include the other 15,000,000 people within 100 miles.
View Quote
Look, I'm fucking crabby you're making me defend the guy because he's wrong about most of the other shit in this thread...but the KC metro area isn't 100 miles.

It's basically one big fucking city.  You can't tell where one starts and another ends.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#19]
there are people who have od'd and lived and said fuck that shit and stayed clean

You just dont know any
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
there are people who have od'd and lived and said fuck that shit and stayed clean

You just dont know any
View Quote
Cause they are like unicorns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Local ambulance has narcan'd the same person 6 times in one week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2nd, 3rd?

Try 5 +
Local ambulance has narcan'd the same person 6 times in one week.
h

He's turning his life around
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You just dont know any
View Quote
well, considering there are probably 100 in the entire country,  yes the odds are low I know any of them
once a junkie, always a junkie (with those few exceptions)
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are plenty of people out there who will only ever improve this world by leaving it.
View Quote
Came here to say something like this but you said it better
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]
OP Request
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top