Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/8/2022 10:32:44 PM EDT
My 16 year old started digging a hole a few years ago in the backyard woods.  I told him every few months to fill it back in but it never happened.  So I told him a week ago that we may as well make it a foxhole.  

1) Any advice on design?  I’ve searched the internet and there are a lot of designs out there.

2) Any advice on what to use for sandbags?  We have plenty of fill for them coming out of the hole.

Yes, he’s using sandals to dig but it’s actually going well.  There is a stream that separates me from my neighbor’s property.  It’s all woods around the hole.

Update: 08/30/2022

I got the sand bags and we’ve started filling them.  The soil is a silt/clay mix with some organic matter given its location.  The plan is to fill the 100 sandbags since that soil needs to be cleaned up from around the hole as i don’t want to create a hazard from the soil collapsing.  I haven’t decided on the final design, but the sandbags will be part of it so may as well get them filled up.

We will definitely need some stairs to get into the hole more easily.  I was going to dig some stairs out and then use some 2X10’s cut to length over top of the earthen stairs?  I was going to cut them out on the side that faces my house.  

How wide would you make the staircase?

Stairs here:

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget the grenade sump.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Get that boy a real shovel to make the digging easier.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs grenade sumps and overhead concealment (tarp or logs). You can dig steps, shelves and seats into the side depending on the soil.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, my dad shut down me and my friend when we were like 12. Had it laid out. 4x6. And we were going to have overhead cover.

pick up an army manual or google it and build it to one of the pencil pictures in there.

don't forget the grenade sump.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sandbags as little as $0.40/each

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
somebody link the FM.

grenade sump

overhead cover
make sure its deep enough to stand in
left and right firing limit sector markers
visible contact w interlockn homies position
range card
all the sandbags
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
CCT  Level 1

That is shaping up to be a crew served position though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Find some old pallets and break them apart for cribbing and to shore up the sides. Maybe some barbed wire with tin can perimeter alarms.

Seriously though, don’t let him get so deep it becomes a collapse hazard. People have died from that.

You could research WWI trench construction (of both sides) and incorporate some features. Make it a living history experience.

Read “All Quiet On The Western Front” together.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
somebody link the FM.

grenade sump

overhead cover
make sure its deep enough to stand in
left and right firing limit sector markers
visible contact w interlockn homies position
range card
all the sandbags
View Quote

FM 5-15

Field fortifications

Buried in my foot locker with all the other docs from PNOC and correspondence course materials

https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-archive/FM5-15%2868%29.pdf

And get some proper shoes on that troop before he loses a toe
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
OST
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw that on the WikiHow!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, he’s using a spade.  I’ll pick up a shovel for him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Armpit deep, 2 rifles wide, 1rifle long.
Camouflage from all directions
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CCT  Level 1

That is shaping up to be a crew served position though.
View Quote

I am reading every post carefully even if I don’t quote and comment on them.  Thank you.

I do have a semi-auto PKM and semi-auto RPD so it may end up as a crew-served position!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit. I still rememeber from OSUT.

Two M-16s ;ong.
Two kelvars wide.
Height is to the armpits of the shortest man.
Grenade sumps on each end.
Minimum 18" of overhead cover.
Aiming stakes for left and right limits.
A range card if time allows.

I've only dug one real one.

Anytime after was a hasty one or dug by engineers and completed by me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Moar like a mortar pit now.

Our foxholes were rectangular and had a grenade sump.  The better ones had a wood cover that could stop wood shivers from explosions among trees.
Russian (WW II) holes were round and for only one person.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]
For a real "fox hole" effect:

Work in clothes made for work.

Work on it all day and into the night.

Pull security all night long with battle buddy.

Next morning tear down/fill in position and road march minimum of 12 miles.

Then you will get some real experience.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#19]
If it’s on public property just make sure some karens don’t find it and think you’re building militia structures. Happened recently in MI.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Needs parachute flares
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Most importantly when you fill the hole back in make sure you bury all your MRE trash and unused blanks.  Future archeologists thank you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Needs parachute flares
View Quote

And razor wire
And sand bags
Trip flares
Seismic intrusion sensors
Flir
Nods

Dang, this kids project rabbit hole is gonna get expensive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Most importantly when you fill the hole back in make sure you bury all your MRE trash and unused blanks.  Future archeologists thank you.
View Quote

Lol, this exactly.

One day after the fall and rebuild of mankind the worn remnants of the Pyramids will be rediscovered in Egypt. But across the Sahara desert scientist will uncover what appears to be some sort of ritualistic site involving tan bags and brown spoons left by one exhausted Corporal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, he needs to learn how to work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't forget the range card.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#27]
https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/SMCT_CTT_Tasks/Skill_Level_1/0713265703-sl1-construct-.shtml

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice work OP, great father/son time regardless.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#29]
This one was rather impressive before the fun haters put a stop to it.

Link to story
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link to 100 sandbags at Amazon for $50.  I think you can find them cheaper elsewhere.  When I dug fighting holes, I made sure it was deep enough to get a good standing rifle position.  Dont forget to slant the bottom and dig trenches for grenades!!  haha.

Really looks like a fun project with your son.  Pics when complete.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PXYQX15/ref=twister_B0B5FJQX82?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Is he for hire?

My back won’t let me dig anymore.

Very cool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, you're telling us that you have no bodies to put in there?
For shame, for shame.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#33]
It's been over 40 years since I had to dig a standard foxhole.

Seems like they are two bayonets wide and two rifles long.

Dirt piled in front and on either side (sides more to the front and angled) so you could dig the overhead cover spots after you were finished with the digging/set up of the main hole.

Armpit deep.

Grenade sump in the middle but I don't remember if it was in the front or the back.  I know the dirt is supposed to be sloped down from either side towards the middle and the sump should be about the diameter of the entrenching tool.  Has to be if that's what you use to dig it with.  Never saw post hole diggers in the field but they would have worked great for digging that grenade sump.  The sump and angled floor will also help (some, if it doesn't rain too much) get some of the rain water out of the way.  Spent a miserable night in a foxhole at Ft. Polk one winter night with the water level just below the tops of the rubber boots we put on over our combat boots.  If you moved around too fast you'd push water over the tops of your boots or you buddy's boots and someone wasn't going to be too happy.  Damn that was a cold wet night.  Not cold enough to snow, just cold enough to make you remember it.

The overhead cover spots are an extension on either side.  Same width as the foxhole.  Front and back dug down/out from the hole enough to set your wood pieces in and then cover up.  Then move the dirt for the sides back so it's mostly on the overhead cover "roof."

The crew served (for and M60 anyway) is way different and about twice as much work.  L shaped with the "table" for the M60 on the tripod where the legs of the crew served foxhole meet.  Dirt parapet is different as well as the M60 has to be able to cover a wider field of fire than either rifleman in the standard foxhole.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like a decent mortar pit. Punch out about 100m and set up an LP/OP over watching avenues of approach.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Find some old pallets and break them apart for cribbing and to shore up the sides. Maybe some barbed wire with tin can perimeter alarms.

Seriously though, don’t let him get so deep it becomes a collapse hazard. People have died from that.

You could research WWI trench construction (of both sides) and incorporate some features. Make it a living history experience.

View Quote

@Makarov

We watched the movie recently!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Those fields of fire are going to need some work as well
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And razor wire
And sand bags
Trip flares
Flir
Nods

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs parachute flares

And razor wire
And sand bags
Trip flares
Flir
Nods

Needs parachute flares  I have some used grenade fuze heads that I can put #209 primers in and rig up
And razor wire  Got some + barbed wire
And sand bags   Ordering some now
Trip flares  
Flir   I have a Nox35
Nods   PVS-14

Communication will be UV-5R and Yaesu FT-65R.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Needs parachute flares
View Quote

No claymore love? 'Cause I love me some claymores.

ETA: For safety and maximum annoyance, you could use these...Spring loaded glitter bombs
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Link to 100 sandbags at Amazon for $50.  I think you can find them cheaper elsewhere.  When I dug fighting holes, I made sure it was deep enough to get a good standing rifle position.  Dont forget to slant the bottom and dig trenches for grenades!!  haha.

Really looks like a fun project with your son.  Pics when complete.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PXYQX15/ref=twister_B0B5FJQX82?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
View Quote

I will keep the thread updated!

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Seriously though, don't let him get so deep it becomes a collapse hazard. People have died from that.

Read "All Quiet On The Western Front" together.
View Quote
*nervous laughter*

i've gotten into some bad holes in the past.

wouldn't do it again.

https://www.msha.gov/news-media/announcements/2017/08/04/plant-trench
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#41]
OST
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's been over 40 years since I had to dig a standard foxhole.

Seems like they are two bayonets wide and two rifles long.

Dirt piled in front and on either side (sides more to the front and angled) so you could dig the overhead cover spots after you were finished with the digging/set up of the main hole.

Armpit deep.

Grenade sump in the middle but I don't remember if it was in the front or the back.  I know the dirt is supposed to be sloped down from either side towards the middle and the sump should be about the diameter of the entrenching tool.  Has to be if that's what you use to dig it with.  Never saw post hole diggers in the field but they would have worked great for digging that grenade sump.  The sump and angled floor will also help (some, if it doesn't rain too much) get some of the rain water out of the way.  Spent a miserable night in a foxhole at Ft. Polk one winter night with the water level just below the tops of the rubber boots we put on over our combat boots.  If you moved around too fast you'd push water over the tops of your boots or you buddy's boots and someone wasn't going to be too happy.  Damn that was a cold wet night.  Not cold enough to snow, just cold enough to make you remember it.

The overhead cover spots are an extension on either side.  Same width as the foxhole.  Front and back dug down/out from the hole enough to set your wood pieces in and then cover up.  Then move the dirt for the sides back so it's mostly on the overhead cover "roof."

The crew served (for and M60 anyway) is way different and about twice as much work.  L shaped with the "table" for the M60 on the tripod where the legs of the crew served foxhole meet.  Dirt parapet is different as well as the M60 has to be able to cover a wider field of fire than either rifleman in the standard foxhole.
View Quote

@M1A4ME

1) Can you link to what the dirt parapet and the crew served look like?  

ETA:  This link posted by another member has an example:

https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-archive/FM5-15%2868%29.pdf

2) So your sump is in the middle not the very side for both water and grenades?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Find some old pallets and break them apart for cribbing and to shore up the sides. Maybe some barbed wire with tin can perimeter alarms.

View Quote

From the dirt piled up on one side, it looks like the boy's already there.  Be careful, OP.  Take a look at surrounding drainage as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

From the dirt piled up on one side, it looks like the boy's already there.  Be careful, OP.  Take a look at surrounding drainage as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Find some old pallets and break them apart for cribbing and to shore up the sides. Maybe some barbed wire with tin can perimeter alarms.

Will do!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

from the size of the hole, the angle of the dirt, the pile of the dirt, the most he is getting is buried to his mid calf

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gen X: we did this with spoons. We bent so many mom got pissed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This exactly and make it deep.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If it’s on public property just make sure some karens don’t find it and think you’re building militia structures. Happened recently in MI.
View Quote

@macman37

Yes, all on my property.  Although I can’t guarantee any bullets will stay on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]
That hole is already too big for an individual fighting position, but it could shill make a nice MG pit.  May as well go for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top