User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love that S&W is playing monkey see monkey do with the Keltec catalog.

Really. I would have bought this instead of the PMR-30.

But I already have a PMR-30 and it is actually pretty badass so for me they are probably a bit too late.

View Quote

I was going to get the Keltec PMR-30 but I read about reliability issues, maybe this new will be better out of the box?

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

By that logic, threaded barrel on a 5.56mm SBR is just as pointless.

Even if it doesn't suppress as well as other calibers, it's still worth suppressing. I won't buy anything I can't run my suppressors on any more.

I am not a firearm designer, but my understanding is that the biggest issue with 22 Mag handguns is feeding reliably. Most are fixed barrels and even if not, a rimfire suppressor is light enough to run without a booster. It shouldn't affect function on a properly designed handgun.

One of my biggest issues with the PMR30 is that Keltec says don't run them suppressed. If you're going to come out with a 22 WMR pistol, you should consider the fact that suppressors have become a pretty big market.

To say that noone should bother designing a threaded 22 WMR is just silly. With that logic, why did we ever progress beyond single action revolvers? Making a reliable semi auto handgun was considered a difficult task at one point in history as well.
View Quote

Please post a link to the .22 mag semi pistol with the fixed barrel that you referenced.  I am not aware of a fixed barrel .22 mag semi.  As far as I know, they all incorporate a slide or a tilt action.

If you must own a .22 mag semi pistol with a suppressor, then you will probably have to modify one to your wishes.  Which is fine.  Maybe you can bring it to market at a profit.  But right now you can't just go to the LGS and buy one ready to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed.  

Again, if I am wrong, I will start to see links, which to this point have been absent.

I did not say that major manufacturers did not bother to design a threaded barrel to suppress a .22 mag pistol.  I said .22 mag semi pistols were difficult to design and the reason .22 mag pistols were not sold with threaded barrels is because the manufacturers know that suppressing them will cause them to cease functioning.

And yes, there is a reason that Keltec says don't run their PMR suppressed.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
$649.00?

I’m out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please post a link to the .22 mag semi pistol with the fixed barrel that you referenced.  I am not aware of a fixed barrel .22 mag semi.  As far as I know, they all incorporate a slide or a tilt action.

If you must own a .22 mag semi pistol with a suppressor, then you will probably have to modify one to your wishes.  Which is fine.  Maybe you can bring it to market at a profit.  But right now you can't just go to the LGS and buy one ready to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed.  

Again, if I am wrong, I will start to see links, which to this point have been absent.

I did not say that major manufacturers did not bother to design a threaded barrel to suppress a .22 mag pistol.  I said .22 mag semi pistols were difficult to design and the reason .22 mag pistols were not sold with threaded barrels is because the manufacturers know that suppressing them will cause them to cease functioning.
View Quote

You're being purposely obtuse. You don't think it's possible that giant firearm companies just happen to overlook features, or bring things to market that lack options customers may want? It has to be because we peons are too stupid to know that this gun wouldn't work with a threaded barrel? Because we're not super smart gun engineers? And everything they bring to market is the absolute pinnacle of firearm engineering with nothing left on the table?

There are hundreds of tilt barrel designs in a huge range of calibers that function just fine suppressed. Some with and some without boosters. Blaming that for why you can't thread a 22 WMR barrel is ridiculous.

As for what 22 WMR pistols don't have a tilt barrel, I don't have one in front of me, but I'm thinking the AMT Automags didn't have a tilt barrel. The RIA 1911 doesn't tilt, but it does have some rearward movement of the barrel. Either way, to act like these can't possibly be suppressed is just backwards thinking.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're being purposely obtuse. You don't think it's possible that giant firearm companies just happen to overlook features, or bring things to market that lack options customers may want? It has to be because we peons are too stupid to know that this gun wouldn't work with a threaded barrel? Because we're not super smart gun engineers? And everything they bring to market is the absolute pinnacle of firearm engineering with nothing left on the table?

There are hundreds of tilt barrel designs in a huge range of calibers that function just fine suppressed. Some with and some without boosters. Blaming that for why you can't thread a 22 WMR barrel is ridiculous.

As for what 22 WMR pistols don't have a tilt barrel, I don't have one in front of me, but I'm thinking the AMT Automags didn't have a tilt barrel. The RIA 1911 doesn't tilt, but it does have some rearward movement of the barrel. Either way, to act like these can't possibly be suppressed is just backwards thinking.
View Quote

Waiting for links.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Kel-tec announced they are re-introducing the PMR-30. Coinkydink?

(I didn't know it had been discontinued)
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that, to my knowledge, no one has made a .22 Mag semi auto pistol with a threaded barrel, and the fact the that KelTec version has both a blowback / moving barrel assembly, leads me to believe that yes, it's not practical to sell one with a threaded barrel.  Too many things could go wrong with using it with a suppressor, and so companies don't want to deal with the liability compared to whatever increase in sales they'd get.

It's my understanding that .22 Mag is one of the harder cartridges to make work in semi. Too much energy for a blowback with a .22 sized slide, and not enough for a Browning tilt barrel recoil system, plus the hassle of a rimmed cartridge and mag issues.  Hence the dual recoil / blowback system with the KelTec.  I wonder if that's how this Smith works as well.

Looks like a neat pistol to me, but I already have a Kel Tec that runs fine.  Most issues for it are relate to either not using 40 grain ammo like KelTec recommends, or loading the mag up incorrectly, as it's a double stack - ish style, an the rims have to be aligned in the proper way.  Do that, and it runs well, and is very fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What .22 WMR cans can accept pistons?
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]Originally Posted By backbench

View Quote

Indeed.  The KelTech has a recoiling barrel, so to duplicate the same method as centerfire cans, you'd need a piston/spring assembly to negate the weight of the suppressor during the.22 initial barrel movement.  And I've never read of either a .22 piston / spring, or a .22 suppressor that uses a pistol assembly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, this is way better than a modernized 4th Gen 5906
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, this is way better than a modernized 4th Gen 5906
View Quote

I'm sure it is - what's the market for a metal 9mm compared to the design and start up costs involved?  S&W stopped making the 5906 due to lack of sales and cost compared to Glocks.

I do love GD - everyone is an expert on what someone else does as a business, and knows that "They're doing it all wrong!!!"

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bolt action .22 Magnum rifle that I shoot suppressed.  It's much quieter, but I wouldn't waste my time with subsonic rounds in it.  May as well shoot .22 LR.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Who is running S&W and why do they keep making goofy stuff instead of good quality bread and butter stuff?  

Ran TC into the ground.
Locks still on revolvers, revolver quality in the toilet.

It's a race to the bottom between them and Ruger, at least Ruger is trying to up the quality of their Marlin purchase.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Smith, how about a .45 Winchester Magnum?
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, but does it take glockmags?

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
The 22 mag jhp subsonic bullets are really good. I'd rather shoot coons with them then any 22lr.

That being said, I don't want a surpressed 22mag
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically any pistol or multical can would work, if there were a case where a rimfire gun needed a piston.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
50 rounds of 22 mag hollow points is about $15.00
50 rounds of 9mm hollow points are about $45.00

50 rounds of 9mm FMJ are about $15.00
View Quote

That's the problem with me and this caliber.
You can buy budget 115gr fmj 9mm ammo for the same price as the rimfire, and have reloadable cases left over.
With 22 magnum, you've got recyclable brass.  That's about it.
Doesn't make a lot of sense, other than reduced recoil.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’ve seen multiple posts on Reddit from people saying they have gotten baffle strikes from different cans all using the same gun (M&P 5.7). I have never heard of a baffle strike on a rimfire can until the M&P 5.7 came out. S&W threaded a removable sleeve that fits around the barrel (not the actual barrel).
View Quote

Sounds like the rifling is too slow and they are not stabilizing. Aguila 60gr .22LR has this problem in some guns and SilencerCo for example won’t warranty resulting damage.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top