User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Particle board subfloor.....LOL

Might as well go cheap on everything else.

Edit: Excuse me....."engineered wood"
View Quote

About the best subfloor in the industry, Advantech, is a variety of OSB.

I don't believe that is Advantech, though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You know the framers don't give a shit about the plumbing.  Benefit of being first on the job.

how are you going to properly box it in with the pipe installed?

plumber should of told the GC to get it boxed in ASAP so he can do the job correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the plumbers fault.

Framers can move floor joists, plumbers can't move toilets.
You know the framers don't give a shit about the plumbing.  Benefit of being first on the job.

plumber should of told the GC to get it boxed in ASAP so he can do the job correctly.
Seriously? Butt the ends of the cut joist off with a short piece of joist material and nail it off to adjacent joists with hangers. You should be able to get a nail gun or at least a palm nailer in there if you're worried about working space. But you're right that the plumber should inform the GC he has an issue with running his lines before just mangling the joist.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The wood thing that got cut for the pipe thing isn't supposed to be like it is, but it do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the uneducated, why is that bad/wrong?

Thanks

The wood thing that got cut for the pipe thing isn't supposed to be like it is, but it do

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’ll take 3/4” osb subfloor any day over plywood. Stiffer, stronger, waterproof, it’s tongue and groove and it’s actually flat and square.
View Quote

No its not stronger
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure.  The plumbing will work fine like that.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They do know better, but they're the worst offenders when it comes to cutting joists. Most of them just figure it ain't their problem - they need to run drain lines and they cut out any shit that's in their way. Job done.

It should be illegal for plumbers to own saws.
View Quote

I run into this all the time.

Plumbing has to go where plumbing has to go. I cant move a toilet where I think it should go. It goes where the print says. The joist below was supposed to be 5 inches offset to accomodate this. The framer didnt offset the joist according to the print.

So what is the plumber supposed to do at that point?

These are the same framers that put a stud dead center on a shower valve wall everytime. I will move studs for that, but your joist is in the way of my toilet, its getting cut
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But you're right that the plumber should inform the GC he has an issue with running his lines before just mangling the joist.
View Quote

We do... the GC says cut it, we can fix it later.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who uses ABS pipe anymore?
View Quote

Its what we use everyday.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it some communism thing?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is Exhibit A in why we preach to get home inspections.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was going to do that depending on where the ended up. I can always add 2" in my basement if I know in advance.

I may want to chat with you soon about your secret tips... Can you be bribed?

Yeah, definitely 16". 24" is from the devil!  

My sister had a house with 24" joists.  Walking down the hall made all the knic-nacs in the master bedroom, which was over the garage, rattle!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you weren't asking me, but 3/4" T&G is fine for a 16" OC floor.

A drop of glue on the bottom of the hanger and the top sides is proper installation for BCIs or TJIs, depending on what your local lot sells. Might want to go a size up, at least on the chords.

There are some other things I do other builders don't, but loose lips and all.

Yeah, I was going to do that depending on where the ended up. I can always add 2" in my basement if I know in advance.

I may want to chat with you soon about your secret tips... Can you be bribed?

Yeah, definitely 16". 24" is from the devil!  

My sister had a house with 24" joists.  Walking down the hall made all the knic-nacs in the master bedroom, which was over the garage, rattle!

I've spent some time in Texas, it's the same situation there as pretty much anywhere else. There are hacks and there are professionals.

Find a good framer, you should have no problem getting a well built house, though initially it will cost a bit more than the blow and go guys. Your house won't look like shit in five years though.

Cheap is expensive!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is it some communism thing?
View Quote

Most likely

Rather covered in black glue than walk around with Barney hands for a week
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seriously? Butt the ends of the cut joist off with a short piece of joist material and nail it off to adjacent joists with hangers. You should be able to get a nail gun or at least a palm nailer in there if you're worried about working space. But you're right that the plumber should inform the GC he has an issue with running his lines before just mangling the joist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the plumbers fault.

Framers can move floor joists, plumbers can't move toilets.

To do it right you need to double up (sister) the adjacent joists that have pipe already running through them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
We just finished a major renovation top to bottom of our new home and contractors and so called professionals are 75% useless, lazy dumb fucks. It's made me almost biased against a sub set of people.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most likely

Rather covered in black glue than walk around with Barney hands for a week
View Quote
Fuck that. PEX is where it's at. If I can't fix it with a few PEX fittings and pipe, then it stays broken till I sell the house. Pay the plumber out of closing.
Someone said "6 figures with a high school diploma". They aren't far off! Finding a GOOD plumber - now that's a challenge. I've been ripped off a few times
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

We use none, ever. Older houses from the the 70’s have it. What’s the reasoning? Code? We can use it, it’s part of our approved dwv material. I’ve done new construction plumbing for 30 years and I don’t think I’ve ever used abs glue. Seems like good pipe, stinks when you cut it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wait.  So you just walked into a new construction house?  Were you just jogging by?  
View Quote

Used to do it all the time.  Most people didn’t care as long as you weren’t damaging shit or stealing shit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This thread is Exhibit A in why we preach to get home inspections.

View Quote

Home inspectors aren't opening the walls to check.

However if you were to private hire an architect they should have STOP-INSPECT where money is held in escrow and only released to the builder once the architect is sufficiently happy with the work.

A buddy of mine works as an architect and has done big name people (as in you use/wear their products every day or have sneakers/sports ball stuff named after them). More then once we have talked about how he has torn through a jobsite and put a work hold up until all the shitty workmanship or corner cutting has been fixed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We use none, ever. Older houses from the the 70’s have it. What’s the reasoning? Code? We can use it, it’s part of our approved dwv material. I’ve done new construction plumbing for 30 years and I don’t think I’ve ever used abs glue. Seems like good pipe, stinks when you cut it.
View Quote

ABS is lighter and stronger than PVC. I deal with it only on mobile home rentals I have.

I use foam core PVC on all new construction. Purple primer is a bitch but the black ABS glue is worse. It burns when you waller in it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No its not stronger
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll take 3/4” osb subfloor any day over plywood. Stiffer, stronger, waterproof, it’s tongue and groove and it’s actually flat and square.

No its not stronger

Yeah, not even close.

OSB is inferior to plywood in every way, hence the lower price, hence the popularity.

People like to blame builders and in some cases they're right. But shitty building practices are consumer driven.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Home inspectors aren't opening the walls to check.

View Quote

Most homeowners are not going to allow destructive testing. I am absolutely not opposed to destructive testing. But most homeowners simply are going to allow it. But a professional inspection, done by a good inspector, will show you a mountain of things that the typical buyer will not catch on their own.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Plumbers should know better
View Quote

When the drain lands on a joist, it’s getting cut.

I bet GDers would shit themselves if they actually knew how their own houses are built. Everyone keyboard contractors.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What you are looking at is the floor joists. That big gap compromises the structural integrity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not seeing it.

What you are looking at is the floor joists. That big gap compromises the structural integrity.

That got me...we're looking UP, not at a wall with shelving....(that's what I thought first).
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I bet GDers would shit themselves if they actually knew how their own houses are built. Everyone keyboard contractors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plumbers should know better

Making sausage.

I know one high end homebuilder who I wouldn't trust to build a doghouse, yet he cranks out multi million dollar houses one right after the other.
He is very, very good at cake frosting but the bones are a horror show.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top