Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/12/2020 12:56:39 PM EDT
I've been working from home since March and finally can't take my crappy office chair anymore. What do you all have? While I'd like to spring for something like a Herman Miller Aeron chair, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Anyone have a good recommendation? If any here have an Aeron and think it is worth the coin, I may just end up with one of those.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Steelcase leap v2, refurb.  It’s great,  no seat related pains anymore.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My refurb Aeron does well. Doubt I would ever pay retail. I'm sure there are better bangs for the buck these days. But don't discount refurb.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Herman Miller Embody from Design within reach.  It's freaking awesome, but spendy. Buy once cry once
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had this one for years. Excellent.

Tempur Pedic

I took the arm rests off of mine. I’ve had the top brand name chairs before and I prefer this one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]

I have a motorized stand up desk...my chair is usually against the wall.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Leap chair.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Manchester Leather from Pottery Barn, buy once kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I spend a lot of time working on computers at home and work.  I have had a Herman Miller Aeron Chair for about 18 years and I am really pleased with it.

I was hit by a car about 7 years ago and have had back problems since.  I decided to see if I could find a chair that worked even better to help with my back.  After reading many reviews, I decided to try a Herman Miller Embody Chair.  I found one in a store and after trying it out bought it immediately.  I also convinced my employer to purchase one for me.  It gives really good support to my entire back.  Perfect for working long hours at a computer.

Herman Miller Embody Chair  List price is $1,635.  It comes with a 12-year warranty.

I found the chair at a discout chair outlet (Design Within Reach). I found one that still had the owners manual attached and looked brand new (I inspected very carefully) and had the options and color that I wanted but did not have a warranty.  I paid $600.  Apparently it was purchased by a business that closed before the chair was ever used.

The price is high but you can find deals if you look and are lucky.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked at a facility where we had Aeron chairs for all of the staff offices (~30) and 125 Mirra chairs in a large conference room that got used pretty much daily.  
In six years, we never had to replace or fix a single chair.  

And yes, I loved my Aeron office chair.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Secret Labs Titan XL

nice and big chair. gaming chars are WAY more comfortable for office work.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
HON,  made is USA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Secret Labs Titan XL

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1640/2231/files/turntable_2020_TTXL_pu_stealth_2-min.jpg
View Quote

I agree with this if you get the right one.  I’ve sat in some that were fucking terrible.  I have a Vertagear and it’s better than my Herman Miller and the hon I have at the office.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Secret Labs Titan XL

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1640/2231/files/turntable_2020_TTXL_pu_stealth_2-min.jpg
View Quote

Gaming chairs generally look like trash. That one isn’t bad, but the logos.......
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody try the Autonomous chairs?  Looking at this one.

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/kinn-chair?option1559=1888
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with a Herman Miller Cosm chair.

And about a week after it arrived, we were called back to the office.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Secret Labs Titan XL

View Quote

I picked up a regular Titan over this summer. It was a great improvement over the chairs I've been using. I like that they come in a cloth option. I've never really liked the whole fake leather chair thing especially with how they wear over the years.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Herman Miller Aeron - referb/lease return.  Startups lease furniture.  Startups fold.  Repeat.  There are hundreds of thousands of these in circulation.  I think mine was under $500.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#18]
You can get a used aeron chair on craigslist/facebook for $300-400. Resellers get them in bulk from offices when they swap furniture.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went with a Herman Miller Cosm chair.

And about a week after it arrived, we were called back to the office.
View Quote

I held off for a long time because we kept on getting teased with "You'll be back at the office in two weeks!" for the entirety of spring. When they started pushing that date off by months is when I knew we weren't going back any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have a motorized stand up desk...my chair is usually against the wall.
View Quote
And John has a long mustache
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Another used Aeron here.

We bought a bunch of them from a used office furniture warehouse here in town. New they are stupid, used they can be awesome deals.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Streap Excel Excureon. Best chair on the market. $2400 retail but you can get them used for much less. I will never sit in any other chair.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can get a used aeron chair on craigslist/facebook for $300-400. Resellers get them in bulk from offices when they swap furniture.
View Quote

Aeron is a good one too.  I use the Leap.  The office was too cheap to get the Aeron.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Upgraded to the Herman Miller Embody from the Steelcase Leap.

The Embody is exceptional, best chair I've ever owned and worth the $$$.

The Leap was good but it's so annoying that you can't buy a replacement cushion anywhere. Once that sucker loses it's cushioning, it's uncomfortable. The Embody design doesn't have that shortcoming.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Whatever is in good condition from ARC or salvation army. Usually get a decent one for about $15 that lasts a couple years.

[PS- fuck goodwill]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I picked up a regular Titan over this summer. It was a great improvement over the chairs I've been using. I like that they come in a cloth option. I've never really liked the whole fake leather chair thing especially with how they wear over the years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Secret Labs Titan XL

As someone who was pricing office office chairs in the 1K plus range, even the upgraded leather option on that looked like a deal. So, I went with it. Now, I'm admittedly not so impressed with the "leather." But, have been plenty impressed with the chair. It's a far superior build quality relative to all but those 1K+ office chairs, and actually better than many I've used in that range. And, the design? Being able to recline all the way back and take a nap? For me, that's worth its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gaming chairs generally look like trash. That one isn’t bad, but the logos.......
View Quote

Those logo's make it soooo uncomfortable when you are sitting in it 10 hours a day.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Secret Labs is pretty good, they sometimes have variants that aren't obnoxious with logos and crap.  Only problem is they are rock hard.  You'll need a gel cushion or something, at least I did.

Well built.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Those logo's make it soooo uncomfortable when you are sitting in it 10 hours a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another motivation to get the "leather" upgrade is its black stitching on black really tones down the gaudiness.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure it is comfortable. Do they have an adult version that doesn’t match a race car bed?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Steelcase leap chair
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a herman miller at work. Lazyboy from costco for the home office. HM’s better but costco gets it done at a fraction of the price
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Serta Serta Arlington Air something

I bought this and absolutely love it. If you're tall maybe look at something that's not the Arlington, it fits me perfectly
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a mid-back office chair from relaxtheback.com

Best chair I've ever bought, cost a mint, but given I spend about a third of my life in it... worth the cost.

https://relaxtheback.com/products/lifeform-ultimate-mid-back-executive-office-chair?variant=14774508322875
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a gaming chair.  

You'll get much more chair for much less money.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m sure it is comfortable. Do they have an adult version that doesn’t match a race car bed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much wit.

Which looks more ridiculous to you?

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Another Secret Labs satisfied customer - actually two, since my wife has a Secret Labs chair as well. We both work from home so we spend 8+ hours in those chairs every workday. I have used many other office chairs and executive chairs in my lifetime, as has my wife, and we've both suffered for it. For me, it was lower back pain and for her, it was her sciatic nerve and back pain. I also found my legs would fall asleep from my circulation being cut off. Read about Secret Labs' research and why their chairs are not uber soft. Soft chairs don't provide support and over time begin to give and create pressure point problems. We've also tried a few other gaming chairs and the Secret Labs chairs are superior, plus they're not incredibly expensive.
About two years ago, I got my wife the Secret Labs leather Omega for Christmas and guess what? She hasn't had any issues in two freakin years. Yes, the seat bottom is firm, but it's supposed to be that way. She loved it so much, she got me an Omega a few months later. We've had friends come over and try the chairs themselves and they have purchased them as well.
If you know someone who has one, try it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, this is a great chair for the money. Seems sturdy and probably an 8.5-9 / 10 on comfort scale.  Cost is very good, and shipping was free.

https://www.staples.com/staples-lockland-bonded-leather-big-tall-managers-chair-black-53235/product_24328570
(Accidentally uploaded screen shot in next reply)
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Add these wheels and you won't believe how much better it rolls...

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much wit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1640/4D14AD09-E87E-4DE9-ABE3-05924D3B0D8A-1727584.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1640/CE02A42D-CA0E-44AB-8D22-7F8FDCFFCAE8-1727583.jpg

I know that the mesh doesn’t make my balls sweat after 8hrs
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much wit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1640/4D14AD09-E87E-4DE9-ABE3-05924D3B0D8A-1727584.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1640/CE02A42D-CA0E-44AB-8D22-7F8FDCFFCAE8-1727583.jpg

Well, there will always be a market for overpriced gimmick chairs for fatasses who can't sit down without working up a sweat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Something to note on Aeron's we had several people at work have problems with their legs going numb in Aerons.  I've had one for well over 10 years and never noticed it, my mom and dad have them and don't have the problem either.  The only reason I got something else is that if I slouched which I do quite a bit I'd slide right out of the thing.

reddit

We work with Herman Miller and Steelcase chairs all day (remanufacture them actually - thousands per year). This is a common complaint we get regarding the Aeron chair. It seems to affect some people worse than others (and others not at all). For some people, it's a serious problem. We've had some people use pads, towels, etc.. to relieve some of the pressure point contact around the front of the seat pan, but that seems to be a hit and miss solution.

Just reinforces that everyone is different and different chairs fit people differently. Wish I had a better answer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I brought my Aeron from work to my home office.

It’s 16 years old. I’ve sat in it for 17 hours a day several times. Naps in it. 100 hour weeks (mostly) sitting in it. Can’t complain at all.

Some guy on Reddit got one for $50 on Craigslist. Easily worth paying $300-400 on FB marketplace or Craigslist.

I logged a lot of very long days (and nights) in a Knoll Life chair too. You can buy a refurbished Life for $300 all day long on eBay or online. It’s ten times the chair anything at Costco is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#46]
1950s tanker swivel chair Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Secretlab titan

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#48]
The chair I have is shitty, so I'm watching this thread for suggestions as well.

One thing I've noticed between chairs people always seem to recommend (all across the web) is "gaming" style chairs tend to have high backs while "office" chairs tend to have low or mid backs. Part of me wonders if this is just styling thing with gaming chairs, since they're pretty clearly styled after automotive racing seats, or if it has something to do with the intended use of the chair? I could see gaming chairs wanting a high back due to the person using the chair usually sitting in it for a long period of time without getting up at all, versus an office environment where people may frequently get up to take a coffee break, go to a meeting, etc. It would kind of align with how racing seats are going to be sat in non-stop for a long duration.

FWIW, my shitty chair is some random gaming chair I picked up from Amazon. I bought it to try out this style vs. a standard office chair style, and I tend to like the high back aspect of it because I can set it to a slight recline and have head/neck support which I find more comfortable overall.

The worst part about chairs IMO is there is no good way to try one out. Even if you're lucky enough to have somewhere local to sit in a Herman Miller or something you can't actually sit in the thing for 8 hours a day over the course of a week to see if it helps. IMO, unless your office chair is completely busted/worn out then the pain from sitting in one is usually an issue of fatigue. Sitting in a new one for a couple minutes might give you an idea of if it's better, but it's still only an idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#49]

The aeron will go down as a classic of industrial design.

The blacked out gaming chair isn’t bad. Most look like a Monster can.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most are also extremely cheaply built.

But a top end gaming chair is simply superior to a comparably priced "office" chair, for reasons that seem to be nothing more than what the market will bear.

I spent months trying to buy a Steelcase gesture. Steelcase made it clear they didn't give a rat's ass about me as a customer. I think I ultimately did better with the Secretlab.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top