BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just got a Secretlab Titan last month, with fabric instead of leather/pleather.  I just put a $10 solid black chair cover from Amazon on the top of it, mainly to protect the fabric in case I drop some food on it or something, but I guess it covers up the logo too.
View Quote

Did not think of that. I could get a car bucket seat cover for mine.

Off to look for an old saddle blanket style car seat cover!

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did not think of that. I could get a car bucket seat cover for mine.

Off to look for an old saddle blanket style car seat cover!

View Quote

That sounds like a simple solution to me, but if you wanted something a bit nicer I'd think any competent reupholstery shop could fix up something pretty easily. Probably a pretty easy DIY as well. From what I've seen of that chair on internet videos everything is easy to get to for the stitching and such. You'd just buy material, use the original stuff as a template, cut, and re-stitch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
as a result of some worldwide pandemic that seems to be going on, earlier this year i decided to get a good chair that i could sit and work in while i banned from the office and stuck at home.
i did some research, consulted the googles, some astute redditors, the hordes of arfcom GD, and others.

this HM Aeron "replica" is priced right and well, it works.  
the basic chair comes in different backs (med/high), seat covers (mesh/fabric), colors.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Mesh-Series-Mid/
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/294531/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Series-MeshFabric-Mid/
etc
per 2nd link above they also come with fabric bottom, versus the standard mesh.

????? 4.5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for WorkPro® Quantum 9000 Mesh Series Mid-Back Desk Chair, Black
1319 Reviews
1077 out of 1197 (90%) reviewers recommend this product

they are VERY well built and there are replacement parts are available.

don't just take my word for it, e.g.
http://ergonomictrends.com/workpro-quantum-9000-office-chair-review/

ps
speaking of pricing, about every 2-4 weeks at Office Depot they will go on sale for $50-150 off.
note: this has created a "chair-arbitrage" scheme on amazon -- independent sellers on amazon will buy $100-off chairs at Office Depot and then sell them on Amazon for inflated prices.
and, in general they will sell chairs that they don't actually have, tell you it's "now backordered" AFTER you buy it on amazon, and then wait for it to go on sale at Office Depot so they can ship it to you.
i know this because this is exactly what happened when i first tried to buy this chair in the spring, and i finally got it direct from Office Depot on sale and about $150 less than the chairs were on Amazon.

aside: Amazon prices are not great.  for example, food staples are HELLA CHEAPER over on walmart.com, with free shipping on orders over $35, and no yearly membership either.

ar-jedi

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e5/76/60/e57660427dda458584db2ccaba740a53.png
View Quote

a fellow ARFCOM'er has pointed out that the mesh seat version above is currently on sale for $110 off.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Mesh-Series-Mid/
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

a fellow ARFCOM'er has pointed out that the mesh seat version above is currently on sale for $110 off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
as a result of some worldwide pandemic that seems to be going on, earlier this year i decided to get a good chair that i could sit and work in while i banned from the office and stuck at home.
i did some research, consulted the googles, some astute redditors, the hordes of arfcom GD, and others.

this HM Aeron "replica" is priced right and well, it works.  
the basic chair comes in different backs (med/high), seat covers (mesh/fabric), colors.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/294531/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Series-MeshFabric-Mid/
etc
per 2nd link above they also come with fabric bottom, versus the standard mesh.

????? 4.5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for WorkPro® Quantum 9000 Mesh Series Mid-Back Desk Chair, Black
1319 Reviews
1077 out of 1197 (90%) reviewers recommend this product

they are VERY well built and there are replacement parts are available.

don't just take my word for it, e.g.
http://ergonomictrends.com/workpro-quantum-9000-office-chair-review/

ps
speaking of pricing, about every 2-4 weeks at Office Depot they will go on sale for $50-150 off.
note: this has created a "chair-arbitrage" scheme on amazon -- independent sellers on amazon will buy $100-off chairs at Office Depot and then sell them on Amazon for inflated prices.
and, in general they will sell chairs that they don't actually have, tell you it's "now backordered" AFTER you buy it on amazon, and then wait for it to go on sale at Office Depot so they can ship it to you.
i know this because this is exactly what happened when i first tried to buy this chair in the spring, and i finally got it direct from Office Depot on sale and about $150 less than the chairs were on Amazon.

aside: Amazon prices are not great.  for example, food staples are HELLA CHEAPER over on walmart.com, with free shipping on orders over $35, and no yearly membership either.

ar-jedi

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e5/76/60/e57660427dda458584db2ccaba740a53.png

Herman Miller Embody vs WorkPro Quantum 9000 (Comparison + Review + Chair Race)
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
i read your stuff four days ago and got all excited.

went to office depot that night to look at it/sit in it/jump up and down on it.

decided to wait for the sale.

sale happened today.

ordered it online with free shipping so i don't have to drag it home in the cah.  

sometimes it all works out.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
This is an interesting thread. I can tell you that Steelcase, Herman Miller, Humanscale and some of the other big office furniture companies mentioned in here are all good to go from a reliable stand point. None of them should start making noises or break down. Those companies have tested to industry standards that simulate a minimum of 10 years of use with the 95% male weight (275lbs) at the time the standard was released in 2017.

I’d steer clear of any of the China/Amazon knock offs. They aren’t going to last or be as comfortable.

As far as secret lab goes. I personally am dubious of their claims, especially their XL line. It looks like all the models use the same tilt mechanism and from the pictures it looks like it’s one on the pretty standard cheap version.

When i saw secret labs advertisements on Facebook a few years ago I tried looking into them. At the time they didn’t not meet the same minimum industry standards that the office furniture manufacturers met. When I pointed that and my questions about their XL chair actually being able to carry the load listed my comment was deleted and they blocked me.

I have been in third party testing and certification for 12+ years with all of that being in furnishings.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is an interesting thread. I can tell you that Steelcase, Herman Miller, Humanscale and some of the other big office furniture companies mentioned in here are all good to go from a reliable stand point. None of them should start making noises or break down. Those companies have tested to industry standards that simulate a minimum of 10 years of use with the 95% male weight (275lbs) at the time the standard was released in 2017.

I’d steer clear of any of the China/Amazon knock offs. They aren’t going to last or be as comfortable.

As far as secret lab goes. I personally am dubious of their claims, especially their XL line. It looks like all the models use the same tilt mechanism and from the pictures it looks like it’s one on the pretty standard cheap version.

When i saw secret labs advertisements on Facebook a few years ago I tried looking into them. At the time they didn’t not meet the same minimum industry standards that the office furniture manufacturers met. When I pointed that and my questions about their XL chair actually being able to carry the load listed my comment was deleted and they blocked me.

I have been in third party testing and certification for 12+ years with all of that being in furnishings.
View Quote

Do you have any insight/opinions on refurb chairs? Seems most of the $1200-$1600 chairs can be picked up for half that price as a refurb.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have any insight/opinions on refurb chairs? Seems most of the $1200-$1600 chairs can be picked up for half that price as a refurb.
View Quote

Yes, you should fine with a refurbished chair, they typically are 3 to 5 year old models and parts like the gas cylinder and fabric have been replaced. So they still have plenty of life left in them.

I would look for an authorized reseller like a Ditto Sales. They typically have a warranty on their items.

On the other side, I would consider a private sale chair if it was Herman Miller or Steelcase.  Both of these companies, and some others, test far above the industry standard. I have been using a Herman Miller  Mira 2 chair that I tested. I’ve used that chair everyday for the last six years. If that tells you anything about their quality.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
@Ayada @JLAudio and other Titan chair owners:

At 6' 205 lbs, will the XL be overkill? Looking at the specs, the regular Titan should be perfect. Right?

Edit: Also any advice on a good 60-70" L x 27-30" D electric adjustable desk?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

At 6' 205 lbs, will the XL be overkill? Looking at the specs, the regular Titan should be perfect. Right?

View Quote

I'd say the XL would be overkill. You definitely don't want the Omega. I am 6 ft and about ten pounds lighter than you. The chair feels bespoke.

Can't help you on the desk.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd say go for the regular Titan. Like Bohr I'm about ten pounds less than you and there is certainly more than enough room on the regular Titan.

I've had two coworker go for desks from Uplift this year. They seem to be a bit on the more pricy side though although both of my coworkers really do seem to like them. There is another brand that I had discussed with some other people but for the life of me (and my internet history) I can't remember what it was. If I remember I'll let you know.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Aeron, got it for 250 on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably going to purchase an new Aeron in a few days.

Stupid expensive, but after doing some research, spending 2x the “refurbished” price makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Your money, I have about 8 months into my $400 referb.  Took a couple days for my ass to adapt to a new chair shape, but been happily parking my butt in it for 4-6hrs a day ever since.

I honestly feel that the office furniture rental market is what has made these chairs as popular as they are.  They are designed for years of trouble free service, so they fit the rental market great.  Rental shops know how to fix minor problems, and scavenge parts from larger ones.  My wife thought I was crazy spending $400 on an office chair, but it was one of the better purchases I have made in a long time - along with building a new desktop at the beginning of this fucking virus.  Only kind of wish I would have gotten either a second or a larger monitor - but 38" seemed large when I ordered it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like the Humanscale Liberty chair. My back used to hurt after sitting all day, not anymore.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had aeron for 9 years bought new from dealer.  At time was working for a co that took very nice care of me in fired based sales.   Just hAd  issue with chair and it was fixed by dealer  no questions asked.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently bought a refurbished Steel Case Leap V2 from Crandall and I have been very happy with it.

https://www.crandalloffice.com/shop/chairs/steelcase/462-leap-v2/remanufactured-steelcase-462-leap-v2-office-chair/

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]

I've been using this since March. Coming from an Aeron at work I'd say it's comparable, seems durable enough, and the price was right compared to shopping around for used or refurb HM. I love the mesh because you don't sweat like the pleather, leather, fabric, etc options.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your money, I have about 8 months into my $400 referb.  Took a couple days for my ass to adapt to a new chair shape, but been happily parking my butt in it for 4-6hrs a day ever since.

I honestly feel that the office furniture rental market is what has made these chairs as popular as they are.  They are designed for years of trouble free service, so they fit the rental market great.  Rental shops know how to fix minor problems, and scavenge parts from larger ones.  My wife thought I was crazy spending $400 on an office chair, but it was one of the better purchases I have made in a long time - along with building a new desktop at the beginning of this fucking virus.  Only kind of wish I would have gotten either a second or a larger monitor - but 38" seemed large when I ordered it.
View Quote

I prefer a couple of the new features that debuted in the remastered version in 2016 (which you don’t find often as refurbished).

Additionally, the most important part of the chair (the mesh) isn’t refurbished by anyone. Outside of a couple of changes (arm adjustment knob vs lever), you could be looking at a 20 year old chair or a 4 year old chair. I have seen a few refurbished versions online that are at least 23 years old.

If I could find one that I knew was only a few years old, I would buy used.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've been using this since March. Coming from an Aeron at work I'd say it's comparable, seems durable enough, and the price was right compared to shopping around for used or refurb HM. I love the mesh because you don't sweat like the pleather, leather, fabric, etc options.
View Quote
sitting in one right now after ar-jedi recommended it.

better wheels are a game changer.  adds 1" - 2" of height to the chair, which is good because i'm tall.  otherwise you're gonna wanna drop it down a touch.

https://www.amazon.com/wheels-replacement-casters-hardwood-duty/dp/B01G643EU6/
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Herman Miller Aeron.  The most comfortable chair there is.  Had one on my last job, and really liked it.  Like it was said before, buy once, cry once.  Lifetime warranty too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Herman Miller Aeron.  The most comfortable chair there is.  Had one on my last job, and really liked it.  Like it was said before, buy once, cry once.  Lifetime warranty too.
View Quote

The warranty from HM is 12 years for the original owner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]

There is a 6 week lead time for the Titan chair. Is Secret Lab good to deal with?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There is a 6 week lead time for the Titan chair. Is Secret Lab good to deal with?
View Quote
how tall/big are you?  Get the XL, if over 6ft

Secretlab Titan XL vs Standard!

Secretlab TITAN XL 2021 Review! | Still Worth It 6 Months Later?

Secret Labs 2020 Titan or Titan XL What One Should You Get?

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#25]
HM Aeron and going strong for over 15 years, needed the pneumatic and armrest replace at the 10 year mark and it was all free and in home service too. Worth every penny and that mesh allows farting unrestricted.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HM Aeron and going strong for over 15 years, needed the pneumatic and armrest replace at the 10 year mark and it was all free and in home service too. Worth every penny and that mesh allows farting unrestricted.
View Quote

I bought a new one yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry I'm just an almost owner. Attempted to place an order with Secretlab. After initial submit of payment info they decided to cancel my order because my connection to them went thru a VPN. I asked to speak to a person via phone, they said not possible. Well f them...
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

@gotigers

I got lucky and when I finally decided to bite the bullet earlier this year they had the exact combination that I wanted in stock. I ordered it Sunday night and I had the shipping notification by the time I woke up on Monday.

I haven't heard any horror stories personally from people who ordered and had to wait, but really my experience there is limited to about two people.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Herman Miller Aeron. I bought mine off Facebook.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I've bought $150-$400 office chairs from Office Depot/Costco/etc, for 2-3 decades... And I've needed to replace them probably every ~3 years on average because of various failures. (Broken legs, levers, arms, seat, pistons, etc.)

At work I've been sitting on a Herman Miller Mirra 2 for around 6 years, ~32-40 hours/week and it's still in excellent, new looking condition.

So a few years back decided to try used office furniture shops and found a nicer Mirra 2 with all the options for $500. I don't get the 12-year factory warranty, but so far I project this will outlast several of the cheap chairs I bought in the past.  I'm thankful I did as I've been working from home for almost 11 months now.  Having a good "workstation" at home is well worth the investment if you spend hours on end there.  

Find a well made, adjustable, comfortable chair and pay the price. It's worth it IMO. Used might still be an option.  I imagine a lot of used-stock was bought up this year, but there could also be an influx of new inventory if businesses are down-sizing/closing offices.
Some ideas:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-office-chair/
https://officearrow.com/mirra-2-vs-aeron/
https://www.geekyoffices.com/mirra-2-vs-aeron/

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And......that shit is getting returned.

I used a “classic” Aeron for a few years and loved it. The new multi-density mesh on the “remastered” version is no bueno.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The lease place I got mine from had at least 3 generations available.  I am sure mine is a frankenstien, but it has almost all the current generations upgrades.  I think they started at $300, mine was $450 since I wanted the upgrades.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#34]
My office chair is like 7 years old.

Upgraded the seat with a Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion for Office Chair - Tailbone Cushion for $40. Better than a new seat and 1/5 the cost
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Secret Labs Titan XL

nice and big chair. gaming chars are WAY more comfortable for office work.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1640/2231/files/turntable_2020_TTXL_pu_stealth_2-min.jpg
View Quote
x2. I have the one that is cloth instead of leather.  So damned comfortable and great quality.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top