User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Question is, is it possible? I know it's not impossible. But highly improbable.
View Quote

According to the handloads.com ballistic calculator, the stated bullet (Nosler 77 hpbt) with a .340 BC will need 3000fps to make 1000 yards supersonic, at which point it goes transsonic.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The 1300 inches of drop at 1300 yards is the elephant in the room. Aiming a 108 ft above the target is going to be a little difficult.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not impossible, I watched Pete Gould from Accuracy 1st make similar shots with a 14.5 308. He also had a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate on that gun. Those (Todd and Pete from Accuracey 1st) guys are doing some really incredible stuff that challenge the established veiws in long distance shooting.

Just because a bullet goes subsonic doesn't mean it loses all of its accuracy, bullet design, twist rate and the shooters knowledge of how the bullet flies in the transonic and subsonic zones matter.

Really amazing stuff

The 1300 inches of drop at 1300 yards is the elephant in the room. Aiming a 108 ft above the target is going to be a little difficult.

Horus reticle and plenty of elevation ravel?

My 300RUM drops 653" or 12.8 MILs @ 1300m; 1300" of drop or roughly 24MILs isn't impossible with the Mk8 and Horus reticles, that would probably top out your elevation turret, so you would hold 4 or 5 MILs in the reticle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Phantom gunfire at 1:40.

That bullet is subsonic 300+ yards before hitting the target.
View Quote

Phantom gunfire?

Or, it could just be the other guy with him that he discussed seconds earlier.

Edit: beat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Also keep in mind that they are in a mountainous environment, so I suspect the air is a lot thinner and barometric pressure is low.

With my 16" 6.5 Grendel, hitting targets at extreme long range is much easier than I ever thought it would be. I've shot it with predictable impacts at 1200-1500yds with factory 123gr A-MAX, and the bullets never got the memo they couldn't stay stable out to those ranges.

Rate of twist helps keep the spin stability factor optimal through the transonic range where looser twists will usually not spin the bullet enough, and the trajectory no longer is predictable through supersonic speed and lower, even with a .338 LM.

I don't know how they are hearing the impacts at those distances, because I personally have a really hard time hearing 77gr impact even at 450yds out of 16" and 18" AR15's with .223 Rem/5.56 NATO.

In no wind calm, I can hear impact at 600yds, but we rarely have those conditions in the mountains.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Magic lob shots aside

Another "premium AR"? I know this i ARFCOM but boring
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not impossible, I watched Pete Gould from Accuracy 1st make similar shots with a 14.5 308. He also had a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate on that gun. Those (Todd and Pete from Accuracey 1st) guys are doing some really incredible stuff that challenge the established veiws in long distance shooting.

Just because a bullet goes subsonic doesn't mean it loses all of its accuracy, bullet design, twist rate and the shooters knowledge of how the bullet flies in the transonic and subsonic zones matter.

Really amazing stuff

Well they claimed 1200yds not 1300yds.

They are obviously well above Sea Level.

2600fps for the Nosler 77gr (@ 5000ft/60 deg) drops 900 inches or 19 mils. Both the the Horus H27 and the 7.62 CMR-W  have plenty of reticle for that amount of hold over.

The MK 8 has plenty of elevation to dial all of that solution and they mention they are dialing.

Not exactly rocket science to ring steel a few times at that range with a 14.5 and 77gr bullets.

Obviously  a bunch of shots were edited out of the video.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It still bugs me to see the side-thumb grip on an AR. Might be good for a straight pull, but a semi...
View Quote

He's also shooting with half a breath, his feet up on his toes, and with a wicked goofy curve in his back.

But, whatever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
This video made me curious so I created a profile on my ballistic calculator to see the numbers. I am using a Trimble Nomad running Field Firing Solutions Delta V paired with a Kestrel 4500 BT. Using the data from AXTS site for their rifle shows a 14.5" 1/8 twist barrel. The shooter in the video stated they were using a 77 grain nosler bullet. The velocity was not stated nor were the atmospheric conditions aside from the 15 MPH wind so I just used the current conditions at my location.

The fastest velocity for given load data from the nosler site is 2692 FPS. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and bumped the muzzle velocity up to 2800 FPS in my calculator.

My calculator shows 18.4 mils (63.27 MOA) of elevation required to hit @ 1200 yards. Here are a few pics of data from my calculator, again this is with some approximations of data on my end.

I am not saying that they didn't do this or that it can't be done and I'm not trying to start a pissing match. However, I would not be willing to bet on MYSELF recreating these shots with any sort of real consistency. A few things that would make this fairly difficult in my mind with what is shown in the video; 8 power scope, 15 MPH wind, what looks to me to be less than ideal spotting conditions.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top