Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2022 10:22:49 AM EDT
https://news.yahoo.com/scientific-paper-claims-octopuses-actually-161100373.html

Octopuses are from space. I know, that sounds like the opening line of a cheesy science fiction movie from the black and white days of Hollywood. But it’s actually the main part of the argument behind a research paper published in an actual peer-reviewed journal. The paper was published in the journal Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. Titled Cause of the Cambrian Explosion – Terrestrial or Cosmic?, the paper digs deep into the origin of life on Earth.
--------------------------------------
Believe the science.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The chances of proteins being able to be used from terrestrial organisms is either near 0% or near 100%, which puts an interesting twist on alien life.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Cthulhu approves of this scientific paper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Spawn of Cthulhu?

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
That theory has been around for a while. I believe other papers were claiming something similar years ago.

I don't believe it but there are a lot of fun ways to spin it into a movie plot. You could turn it into anything from Mars Attacks to Prometheus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Pfff, already covered in Resident Alien.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]
So long, and thanks for all the fish!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#8]
This was discussed on ancient Aliens awhile ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Dammit, now I have to sell all my scuba gear...

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly, can't say I've ever seen one in Colorado.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
No it doesn't.

"However consistent with this conclusion are the recent RNA editing transcriptome-wide data on the somatic RNA diversification mechanisms in the behaviourally sophisticated Cephalopods such as Octopus. These data demonstrate extensive evolutionary conserved adenosine to inosine (A-to-I) mRNA editing sites in almost every single protein-coding gene in the behaviorally complex coleoid Cephalopods (Octopus in particular), but not in nautilus (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This enormous qualitative difference in Cephalopod protein recoding A-to-I mRNA editing compared to nautilus and other invertebrate and vertebrate animals is striking. Thus in transcriptome-wide screens only 13% of Drosophila and human protein coding mRNAs harbour an A-to-I recoding site; and there only about 25 human mRNA messages which contain a conserved A-to-I recoding site across mammals. In Drosophila lineages there are about 65 conserved A-sites in protein coding genes and only a few identified in C. elegans which support the hypothesis that A-to-I RNA editing recoding is mostly either neutral, detrimental, or rarely adaptive (reviewed in Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). Yet in Squid and particularly Octopus it is the norm, with almost every protein coding gene having an evolutionary conserved A-to-I mRNA editing site isoform, resulting in a nonsynonymous amino acid change (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This is a virtual qualitative jump in molecular genetic strategy in a supposed smooth and incremental evolutionary lineage - a type of sudden "great leap forward". Unless all the new genes expressed in the squid/octopus lineages arose from simple mutations of existing genes in either the squid or in other organisms sharing the same habitat, there is surely no way by which this large qualitative transition in A-to-I mRNA editing can be explained by conventional neo-Darwinian processes, even if horizontal gene transfer is allowed. One plausible explanation, in our view, is that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized Octopus eggs."

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was from the Dolphin Aliens.

The Octopus Aliens are less polite.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
That's stupid. We all know there's several types of aliens but octopi aren't one of them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out the book Fracture, it's about octupi evolving indepently from the rest of the world and being intelligent and cunning.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#16]
They taste good
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Check out the book Fracture, it's about octupi evolving indepently from the rest of the world and being intelligent and cunning.
View Quote

Fragment. And it was mantis shrimp.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#18]
NEVER trust non-science accounts of science as accurate.

I you care about the issue read the paper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That theory has been around for a while. I believe other papers were claiming something similar years ago.

I don't believe it but there are a lot of fun ways to spin it into a movie plot. You could turn it into anything from Mars Attacks to Prometheus.
View Quote

Panspermia
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's stupid. We all know there's several types of aliens but octopi aren't one of them.
View Quote

Observing your avatar, this man knows things.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I bet Fauci sent them our taxpayers dollars to research that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#22]
They're intelligent, but I don't think they're smart enough to build and fly spaceships.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

And in Men in Black

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

First thought that popped into my mind too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Meh.

Still delicious if cooked right.

They also make great ceviche.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I got to be honest, they are definitely the smartest thing I eat.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They're intelligent, but I don't think they're smart enough to build and fly spaceships.
View Quote

They're hobbled by the peculiarities of their reproductive cycle.  Thankfully.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#28]
We actually do this one a lot. They’re interesting, but they aren’t aliens.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#29]
The only sane thing from the article:
Keith Baverstock, a medical researcher with the University of Eastern Finland, reviewed the paper. In his review, Baverstock stated that there is indeed a lot of evidence that makes the thesis plausible. However, he said that this isn’t how science advances. Because so much of the evidence is not definitive, this thesis only adds to the mystery surrounding the origin of life. In fact, nothing in the paper’s summary really helps us better understand the history of life on our planet. It only adds more conjectures to the already overflowing pot of theories that science has birthed over the years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#30]
This is right out of Resident Alien... a SciFy comedy series.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

"However consistent with this conclusion are the recent RNA editing transcriptome-wide data on the somatic RNA diversification mechanisms in the behaviourally sophisticated Cephalopods such as Octopus. These data demonstrate extensive evolutionary conserved adenosine to inosine (A-to-I) mRNA editing sites in almost every single protein-coding gene in the behaviorally complex coleoid Cephalopods (Octopus in particular), but not in nautilus (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This enormous qualitative difference in Cephalopod protein recoding A-to-I mRNA editing compared to nautilus and other invertebrate and vertebrate animals is striking. Thus in transcriptome-wide screens only 13% of Drosophila and human protein coding mRNAs harbour an A-to-I recoding site; and there only about 25 human mRNA messages which contain a conserved A-to-I recoding site across mammals. In Drosophila lineages there are about 65 conserved A-sites in protein coding genes and only a few identified in C. elegans which support the hypothesis that A-to-I RNA editing recoding is mostly either neutral, detrimental, or rarely adaptive (reviewed in Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). Yet in Squid and particularly Octopus it is the norm, with almost every protein coding gene having an evolutionary conserved A-to-I mRNA editing site isoform, resulting in a nonsynonymous amino acid change (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This is a virtual qualitative jump in molecular genetic strategy in a supposed smooth and incremental evolutionary lineage - a type of sudden "great leap forward". Unless all the new genes expressed in the squid/octopus lineages arose from simple mutations of existing genes in either the squid or in other organisms sharing the same habitat, there is surely no way by which this large qualitative transition in A-to-I mRNA editing can be explained by conventional neo-Darwinian processes, even if horizontal gene transfer is allowed. One plausible explanation, in our view, is that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized Octopus eggs."

View Quote

im tarded...TL:DR
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And in Men in Black

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120557/4C96E988-6C7D-42C2-8441-2F2607A48BF1_jpe-2267643.JPG

Attachment Attached File

Quarren approved.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Of course they are, everyone knows that.

Why do you think they need these to get around?

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Of course!!  I have watched the Resident Alien documentary!!

Aaarggg…too late.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are kinda sarcastic too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#39]
This one's an actual peer reviewed journal. Sounds so credible much bonafide after all that experts, anonymous sources and possible allegations.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. I’ve been hearing this for years. But a lot of animals are proof that evolution is not
A fact.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep. I’ve been hearing this for years. But a lot of animals are proof that evolution is not
A fact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A fact.

horseshoe crabs been keeping it the same for a long time
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cthulhu approves of this scientific paper.
View Quote
Cthulhu is busy approving of smoked brisket right now, but will get around to reading this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Anything is aliens from outer space if you’re brave enough
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#44]
"He'd let us in, knows where we've been, in an octopuses garden by the sea."
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#45]
It's not new, it's over three years old, and it's been posted a few times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Delicious aliens.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Author or year published please.

thank you,

18Z50
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#49]
"My Octopus teacher" was a good documentary...
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Actually just from looks alone I'd say the platypus was an alien. But the article was good for a laugh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top