BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you actually compare some basic measures between the two, it's pretty apparent why anyone would be concerned with Nissan, esp held up against Kia.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0951_jpeg-3051799.JPG

Kia has 3x the earning, with a tenth the debt, on $10B less in revenue. Kia's in the top 5 in operating revenue of the big players, couple ahead of Toyota, below Ferrari, BMW, Tesla and Mercedes. Pretty decent company.

Not perfect, and def some serious issues, but these are the kind of shortcomings ascendant companies, ran smartly, can survive. These kind of missteps might kill a mfg, contracting and burdened by debt. We'll see where they end up I a few years, but given Kia's technological advantages and the marketed where they can leverage them, I wouldn't bet against the Koreans

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bold prediction from a guy that works for a company that has motors blow up daily and the worlds easiest stolen cars leading to rising insurance rates for those of us that aren't even affected by the theft issue and in some places can't even get insured on those models now.

If you actually compare some basic measures between the two, it's pretty apparent why anyone would be concerned with Nissan, esp held up against Kia.

Kia has 3x the earning, with a tenth the debt, on $10B less in revenue. Kia's in the top 5 in operating revenue of the big players, couple ahead of Toyota, below Ferrari, BMW, Tesla and Mercedes. Pretty decent company.

Not perfect, and def some serious issues, but these are the kind of shortcomings ascendant companies, ran smartly, can survive. These kind of missteps might kill a mfg, contracting and burdened by debt. We'll see where they end up I a few years, but given Kia's technological advantages and the marketed where they can leverage them, I wouldn't bet against the Koreans

Which site/app is this, Alac?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Infiniti is killing it around here. Every soccer mom wants their QX60 or 80…and they aren’t cheap.

My wife got the 60 this year and loves it. Coming from a Lexus, the Infiniti is much more ergonomic and comfortable to drive. Tech is decent, and the interior is much nicer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have absolutely no idea what they are doing with the Z. It's a good car. It's priced reasonably well for where it sits performance-wise. It looks good. Yes, it reuses a lot from the 370Z, but that's okay, and expected given Nissan's budget constraints for a low-volume sports car.

They just completely bungled the launch and aren't attempting to produce them in any quantity. I still have yet to see one, and I go to local Cars & Coffee events pretty often. It's like they don't actually want to sell the car.
View Quote

I saw one in Hilton Head. It was hoooot
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre 2020 Frontiers with 4.0 are damn near bulletproof. Yes, they have cheap plastic interiors, harsher ride, noisier interior. When I kill my 2015 I will be looking for a low mile 2018-2019 to replace it
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Y’all have never studied the I-24 Nissan Altima variant.

- survives multiple impacts and is road worthy
- missing a minimum of 2 hub caps
- possibly on a spare
- expired or non existent tag
- travels at high rate of speed
- tier 1 suspension for Slalom maneuvers in traffic
- advanced cloaking system that hides them from LEO

They will last forever. Only known competition is the I-24 Dodge Charger.
View Quote

Rez rocket altimas are the most impressive altimas.

wrecked on every corner. blacked out tail lights, burned out left headlight. Goes 64mph on the interstate, sun, snow rain or ice. has never met a speed bump, bald tires, dream catcher AND safety pin headdress from the rear view mirror.. "powered by frybread" sticker on trunk or rear bumper, which is always primer. never sure if the crooked license plate is for style, due to collision, or just plane ol falling off.

they're slowly replacing the pontiac grand am as the official pace car of the I25 north and south bound 500.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I saw one in Hilton Head. It was hoooot
View Quote

I'd really like to see one out and about. It was one of the cars I looked at when deciding on the replacement for my old FR-S. In the end I decided not to wait for it and went another route. I'm happy with where I ended up, but I'd still like to see the Z be a success for Nissan.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I remember the 90s Maxima being a pretty sweet car.
View Quote

I like my '91.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The 89-94 Maxima was a good looking car and could be had with a 5 spd. manual.

That car was also preferred by criminals at one point according to a criminal defense attorney friend of mine.  

Something about a hiding spot in the engine compartment for guns, etc.  Of course not much of a secret and why these types needed a lawyer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Reminds me of this one.  Infuriating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWuK-fi-D_w

@roa
View Quote
European drivers make all American drivers look like perfect drivers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been to that plant.  

On a related experience, I had to rent a car for a business trip.  They gave me a nissan sentra.  I have NO idea why anyone would willingly pay for one of those cars.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my 06 Frontier, and the new generation is really cool.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Amusing to find out the Altima reputation is a thing as it is so accurate.

That spot was once held by the Mitsubishi (Diamante?) I think or maybe some other sedan; all long gone to the crusher.

I gave up motorcycles thanks to deep tinted cars like the Altima;  making eye contact is important on a motorcycle if you want to stay alive.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
With as popular as 4runners, Jeeps, and Broncos are, you'd think that bringing back the Xterra would be a no-brainer.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Nice car. I should have bought one new. Last of the square styling.  Great build quality. They have disappeared from the roads.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bold prediction from a guy that works for a company that has motors blow up daily and the worlds easiest stolen cars leading to rising insurance rates for those of us that aren't even affected by the theft issue and in some places can't even get insured on those models now.

@GenYRevolverGuy

Wanted to say https://seekingalpha.com/  - but that's not it. Have a number bookmarked when I get back I'll check and let you know

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Renault…. That’s when it started going downhill
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have absolutely no idea what they are doing with the Z. It's a good car. It's priced reasonably well for where it sits performance-wise. It looks good. Yes, it reuses a lot from the 370Z, but that's okay, and expected given Nissan's budget constraints for a low-volume sports car.

They just completely bungled the launch and aren't attempting to produce them in any quantity. I still have yet to see one, and I go to local Cars & Coffee events pretty often. It's like they don't actually want to sell the car.
View Quote

I saw two in person for the first time yesterday at a Nissan dealership.  To me, they’re like the new Toyota Supra in that they look way better in person than they do in photographs.  I currently drive a 2020  370Z which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed up to this point.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
This is now a Nissan picture thread

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 89-94 Maxima was a good looking car and could be had with a 5 spd. manual.

That car was also preferred by criminals at one point according to a criminal defense attorney friend of mine.  

Something about a hiding spot in the engine compartment for guns, etc.  Of course not much of a secret and why these types needed a lawyer.
View Quote
Jeep WK2s have a great hiding spot for things like that.  Not gonna say where it is, tho.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Their first mistake was changing their name from Datsun to Nissan.
View Quote

Their name was always Nissan. It’s hard to believe that you’ve done an in-depth analysis of how they harmed their business, without knowing that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll buy a new Frontier if my 06 ever finally dies.

It's pretty easy to wrench on.

I do wish they had better paint. AZ eats car paint.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just checking.... Does Kia have a truck I can throw a couple of dead deer in the back?  10 dead geese in?  Leaking garbage bag going to the dump?  Christmas tree without tying it to the top?  shall I keep going?

I admit I have been a Frontier owner since 2009, are they the best truck out there? probably not, but they work for what I need a truck for (along with pulling boats up to 3500#)  

When I am done with my current frontier I will be buying another.  Have also owned Toyota, Ford and Dodge trucks
View Quote

I had a 2019 Desert Runner Frontier. Pulled a 6000 lb travel trailer all over Colorado with it.

It did just fine. The Frontier is still one of Nissan's best kept secrets.

The ride with the factory Bilsteins was excellent too.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I saw two in person for the first time yesterday at a Nissan dealership.  To me, they're like the new Toyota Supra in that they look way better in person than they do in photographs.  I currently drive a 2020  370Z which I've thoroughly enjoyed up to this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw two in person for the first time yesterday at a Nissan dealership.  To me, they're like the new Toyota Supra in that they look way better in person than they do in photographs.  I currently drive a 2020  370Z which I've thoroughly enjoyed up to this point.

Its a decent cheapish sports car in its own right, but it pales compared to other choices. For what most peeps want, theres more than enough fun for a Sunday drive or occasional track day. But the compromises are noticeable. The extra ponies are welcome, but arent quite harnessed. Good not great car.

It was apparent at the debut, this wasn't the car many hoped for, including the Nissan team. But Tamura and his peeps did a very good job with what they had. Nobody gets a blank check for these things (some Euros get closer), as Tada will attest. But this isn't exclusive to Nissan, its just greatly magnified by their financial situation.

Prolly sell 1500 this year. About the volume of GT-Rs decade ago or Z4 this year. Supra will sell less 5k tho. Miatas go 8k ish. GR 86 @ 12k. So noone of these are real volume.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ever thought that maybe,  just maybe, sales are regional?

I see new Armadas and QX80s everywhere now. Word must have gotten out that they're still made in Japan.
View Quote

Just imagine if they had been importing the past few generations of Patrols,
Had kept the Pathfinder a true 4Runner competitor,
And continued the X-Terra.
Let alone if they had gone removable roof panel/doors and barn door rear mounted spare on an X-terra update.
And kept the Maxima and in the know Japanese performance sedan that could kill Civics and Camrys in performance and price.

Instead, they blew off that market.
Let the Maxima become ghetto lux, and chased a shit demographic as far as sales and reputation go.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Titan is the ugliest truck in existence. It's hard to sell something that looks like ass it's entire life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Titan is/was a great truck, but they killed it themselves with a shitty entertainment center and sacrificing it to increase their overall CAFE rating.

Titan is the ugliest truck in existence. It's hard to sell something that looks like ass it's entire life.
No that would be the new Tacoma.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I recently bought a new car and Nissan was not even on my radar. I spotted Honda, Toyota, hyundai, and Ford (never going back).

Nissan has uninspiring cars (GTR is the only cool one and it's easy outta my price range). Nissan and Mitsubishi are the two Asian cat brands I've never considered. Nissan makes voting cars with mediocre performance.

Their spokeswoman (Bree Larson) is annoying and insufferable, so I don't even think about the brand.

I bought a Toyota and will have it for many years and not need much for maintenance. Nissan quality is low.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Used to have a 1997 Maxima. Best car ever made. SAE chose its DOHC V6 as "one of the 10 best engines in the world." Put 250K miles on it.

Also went through a couple of Xterras. Damn things were indestructible, were popular with Death Valley off-roaders. Xterras were more trucks than cars; they were built on the Titan chassis. Nissan got pussified and killed them

All gone. Yeah, Nissan is history.
View Quote

Xterra was D40 frontier chassis, NOT titan.

The D40 could use front end parts from the titan which is also why they fit on the X. R50 was the last decent Pathfinder.

Early X was a D22.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Old Z best Z.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me of this one.  Infuriating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWuK-fi-D_w

@roa

You’ve never driven in a German speaking country I take it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

that was in china.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Cute

Now let's do the big 3...
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is the problem with the CVT? Seriously. My daughter is looking to get a new Rogue S, as that is the car she had prior to her accident,liked it but needs to get another car.
View Quote

I have heard they are not reliable. Seem OK to drive if you are using your vehicle as an appliance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#33]
If this is based on what you mention as the EV sitting on the lot - isn't the SAME thing happening with every manufacturer of EVs (except Tesla).   None of them are selling.  So if Nissan is DOOMED - then all the other manufactures committing to be all-in on EVs are DOOMED.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
They should really focus on the compact truck off-road performance market.

Their best selling vehicle is the frontier.  They CAN make good trucks (I have a 2000 frontier and a newer Titan).  I've had the frontier for 15 years and daily it.  

If they can beat Toyota in the performance market and undercut them on price and remind buyers that their motors and such are well thought out since they aren't always changing stuff (how Toyota got to be seen as reliable), while giving good suspension, triple locked, off-road accessories (real ones, not fake plastic crappy appearance stuff), I think they could do it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

that was in china.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
European & Chinese drivers make all American drivers look like perfect drivers.

that was in china.
f1x't
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With as popular as 4runners, Jeeps, and Broncos are, you'd think that bringing back the Xterra would be a no-brainer.  
View Quote

Nawww, the sissies at Nissan think it's too redundant with the Pathfinder. Major eye roll....
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They should really focus on the compact truck off-road performance market.

Their best selling vehicle is the frontier.  They CAN make good trucks (I have a 2000 frontier and a newer Titan).  I've had the frontier for 15 years and daily it.  

If they can beat Toyota in the performance market and undercut them on price and remind buyers that their motors and such are well thought out since they aren't always changing stuff (how Toyota got to be seen as reliable), while giving good suspension, triple locked, off-road accessories (real ones, not fake plastic crappy appearance stuff), I think they could do it.
View Quote

They did that from 1986.5 to 1997 (except a Nissan was more expensive than a Toyota). Hardbody was a fantastic truck which is why mine is 38 years old and looks and drives like new. I've hardly done anything except routine maintenance. Hell, I did ball joints once and it's had a brake job once in its life. Pretty sure it's on its 2nd battery.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Bring back the Hardbody.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

wrecked on every corner. blacked out tail lights, burned out left headlight. Goes 64mph on the interstate, sun, snow rain or ice. has never met a speed bump, bald tires, dream catcher AND safety pin headdress from the rear view mirror.. "powered by frybread" sticker on trunk or rear bumper, which is always primer. never sure if the crooked license plate is for style, due to collision, or just plane ol falling off.

they're slowly replacing the pontiac grand am as the official pace car of the I25 north and south bound 500.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y’all have never studied the I-24 Nissan Altima variant.

- survives multiple impacts and is road worthy
- missing a minimum of 2 hub caps
- possibly on a spare
- expired or non existent tag
- travels at high rate of speed
- tier 1 suspension for Slalom maneuvers in traffic
- advanced cloaking system that hides them from LEO

They will last forever. Only known competition is the I-24 Dodge Charger.

SNORT!!!!! LMAO
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had two Titans and I loved them both.  My curent one is a 17.   What would be a Comparable replacement truck for when I need a new one?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#41]

@FIRE1

What location is that at?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@FIRE1

View Quote

The Pathfinder pics are in Big Bend Ranch State Park, TX. The green Titan shot is on Padre Island National Seashore, and the white Titan is at Matagorda, TX.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Pathfinder pics are in Big Bend Ranch State Park, TX. The green Titan shot is on Padre Island National Seashore, and the white Titan is at Matagorda, TX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FIRE1

Those are some breathtakingly  beautiful landscapes
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A 90s Nissan sure, old tech had a stanza with 500k before he dropped it, he has a r32 now.

But 00s and newer? Ehhhhh, engine sure, transmission no, electronics no and paint? Definitely not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem, they run forever.  There's no real incentive for Nissan owners to buy something new when their car/truck will keep running for the next 100 years.

A 90s Nissan sure, old tech had a stanza with 500k before he dropped it, he has a r32 now.

But 00s and newer? Ehhhhh, engine sure, transmission no, electronics no and paint? Definitely not.

You're wrong, but I like you moxie.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I see no avenue of escape from their current route.

They just keep going more and more downhill and I'm amazed that infinity even still exists.

They just can't move shit anymore like they used to in the 00s

Our place has had that new cuv ev for a year and have yet to sell it while we have moved 20 or so evs in the same time and they have not even bothered to put an order in for a Z.

Unless a crazy miracle happens they are fucked, oh well less competition for Hyundai.
View Quote

a 2022 nissian sentra 2.0l engine is worth less than $700 bucks. car-part is full of 40k mile sentras with bad transmissions. literally one of the biggest piece of shit auto manufactures on the road. they are literally worse than mopar. thats why they can't move shit anymore. these CVTs are sealed, non serviceable-ish, and they can not live for 50k miles. nissan has become mopar of the late 90s-early 2000s.

used sentra transmission with a 90 day warranty is $2,000. engine for same car with same warranty is $650. before buying any car check car-part. when you see junkyards busting at the seams with 3 and 4 year old cars that haven't been involved in a crash nor are they in a local area that just had a huge flood something is clearly wrong with that make and model.

2013-up sentras are all the same tune. 2015 sentra 1.8 sub 50k miles are less than $300 bucks. i wish i could find a retrofit niche to put all these damn near new sentra engines in, i could make a killing. it seems the engines are pretty hard to kill.

i bet the would make a hellofa gen set, wood chipper, ect engine retrofit engine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've had my third gen for two years and 30k miles. It's been solid and I really like it.

https://i.postimg.cc/C1LKm4cx/IMG-6237.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before the update.

Whats wrong with the update?

Mine has the new engine in the old body style. It fucks.
I've had my third gen for two years and 30k miles. It's been solid and I really like it.

https://i.postimg.cc/C1LKm4cx/IMG-6237.jpg

i've been seeing these more and more lately. they are a great looking truck driving down the highway. i like the green one. i have seen a green one a couple times on 35" tires. i like this body style much more than the old body style.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Didn't know that^ too...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that^ too...

some of the old ones were double badged "nissan / datsun" or "datsun / nissan".
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I've owned two Pathfinders, an '01 and '12 and i've found both to be solid vehicles with few mechanical issues.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that^ too...

Dat Car and Prince enters the chat

No Prince, no care. Nobody would. When Nissan killed it at the turn of the century, someone should have been staked. The usefulness was gone but the namsake served as a reminder, even lip service.

Attachment Attached File

OG Skyline - Prince

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cute

Now let's do the big 3...
View Quote

The Big 3 have no legitimate competition in the half ton and larger truck and SUV space.

They can continue to print money as long as consumers and fleets want/need those vehicles.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top