[#1]
Nissan is like Mopar Japan.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nissan is like Mopar Japan.
View Quote

Actually, in the home market, Honda is their MoPar. Honda is a de facto US company in terms of sales.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Last month of final year sales during the largest leap forward in model history - vs the last 20 years? Mike Bafan literally had to scrape together  assembly at TMMBC from a panel stamping plant. Starting at 20k units in '04, he had almost zero automation and had to rely on 24 hours ops to get to 100k by 2016 - because Toyota never believed the volume was permanent. But it kept coming. And coming. And coming.

TMNA wouldn't expand TMMTX (really couldn't, tho extra shifts increased prod, the facility was never designed for the volume) so every month for everyone of those year the were production constrained. There were periods when supply would be adequate - but mostly, esp some trims, it was a hunt. By 2015 it was clear production  would never meet demand at the two plants so Toyota, who'd just brought Mazda into the fold, stroked an agreement to move small car production from the nascent TMMGT plant in Mexico to Alabama, where Mazdas falling sales created excess production. This allowed Toyota to refit TMMGT for truck production and TMNA got the push, put Mike in charge of setting up a triangle trade of assembly, support and transport amongst the 3 sites.

But tho the decision was made, they were still short now.  In 2018 he got the 180M (30M was never reported as it went to supplier assistance) he needed to find another 60k. The site is fucking tight and even Mike couldn't eke out much beyond 180k, which was understood. So, with TMMTX - and now TMMBC capped - Bafan got on his horse and rode, converting TMMGT in record time, establishing an eventual designed , double shift, 300k production system  between the two. At the same time Toyota was prepping TMMTX to go full on Tundra/Sequoia, which had been prod constrained as well.

So what you're seeing, beyond the normal effect of change over bottle up, is excess capacity during seasonal doldrums for the first time North American trucks were made in Japan. Toyotathon's ON! Best time evah to grab a deal. . .unless, like most, they a wait for the new hawtness  coming. Your observation is both local and temporally limited (show up on the lot over last summer) - and kinda goes against about $450M to construct new facilities and the experience of 20 years. Nissan tho, has had none of these problems (relating to demand- production  imbalances merely investment inabilities)

Which Audi model are we talking about? AFAIK All relatively recent have a varying mix of electronic and mechanical activation. E Tron is electric motor. Ultra is predictive; can't do that 100% mechanical. The cheap seats like many VAGs get Haldex, tho Haldex 5 finally went away on the 3s with the 8Y. Torsens are great, why Toyota has used the LF1A in a number of "car" AWD applications. The large SUVs got Torsen centers since the turn of the century (sounds weird huh). Toyota owns the Torsen brand through JTEKT. I'm very curious tho how Audi is the best?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/A2FDB126-1EDB-4B61-8DC9-E468B2402BB3-202-3055172.JPG

I'm def not an Audi hater, merely have some slight understanding and always interested in counter views to fill in the gray areas. @Deerhurst

View Quote

I grew up in the snow, sand, mud, ice, etc. I have an 86.5 SE-V6 hardbody that I picked up in highschool. It's been a phenomenal vehicle. Toyota was cheaper to purchase back in the day and got the aftermarket support. My old Hardbody was likely between $16-18,000 in 1986. I know for a fact with the right option set $18k was easily doable in 1987 for a SE-V6 truck. $18k got you a king cab, SE-V6 with a 3 speed auto, AC, cruise and 4wd. My truck has leather trim on the seats and door cards. They were very posh rigs for back then. I have the original window sticker but unfortunately the options and price were cut out years before I bought it. Was rated for 20MPG though! Mine was one of the last built in Japan for the USDM. By 1987 they were built in Tennessee. Chicken tax is to thank for that. Been a fantastic rig. Has gone everywhere I pointed it including places in Moab it had no business going.

My guess is the hardbody was too expensive and the Toyota was cheap enough to become more popular and hence get the aftermarket.

My DD is an A4 Avant. Sports suspension, blah, blah, blah. It's older, has everything the ultra sport had back then except the motor and the ultra sport specific sway bars. Plus the glorious Koni yellows. I sit 4" off the dirt. I was scraping the belly on the dirt as I was being the snowplow through basically a bog. Car was trashed with mud. Was a great time. I enjoyed getting to the firing line quite a bit! It really is surprising how far it'll go on Conti control contacts! Couple years back I got stuck in the middle of a snowstorm. Snow on the road was over my hood. 6hours and 14 gallons of fuel to go 150 miles. Had a blast! Same Conti tires too! Thank God for my aluminum skid plates! I've only once have traction control kick in (when I wasn't broad sliding the thing or really pushing it in the turns) which was a wet grassy climb into a a parking area with 2 tires on the ground due to the transitions. I didn't follow the signs very well.

The only electronics in my AWD push power left to right. If I hit TC OFF it disables that too. I believe it is a 4:1 torsen but I may be thinking of the JHM upgrade part. With TC OFF it's just a torsen center with open diffs front and rear and big fat tires.

From my experience where I've lived and where I've played the quattro system has always been top dog in AWD. It has never struggled. It has never faltered. I can't say that about any other AWD (and most 4wd) rigs I've been in or around. I blame my mom, she was the first in the family to get an Audi. We've been hooked ever since. They've been extremely reliable and stick to the earth amazing. Until all this BS with cameras, remove kill switches, and BS I planned to get another but I guess I'm keeping this one for a long time yet. Same with the old hardbody. I'll dump the Audi long before I dump that old pickup. The old hardbody has been phenomenal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I grew up in the snow, sand, mud, ice, etc. I have an 86.5 SE-V6 hardbody that I picked up in highschool. It's been a phenomenal vehicle. Toyota was cheaper to purchase back in the day and got the aftermarket support. My old Hardbody was likely between $16-18,000 in 1986. I know for a fact with the right option set $18k was easily doable in 1987 for a SE-V6 truck. $18k got you a king cab, SE-V6 with a 3 speed auto, AC, cruise and 4wd. My truck has leather trim on the seats and door cards. They were very posh rigs for back then. I have the original window sticker but unfortunately the options and price were cut out years before I bought it. Was rated for 20MPG though! Mine was one of the last built in Japan for the USDM. By 1987 they were built in Tennessee. Chicken tax is to thank for that. Been a fantastic rig. Has gone everywhere I pointed it including places in Moab it had no business going.

My guess is the hardbody was too expensive and the Toyota was cheap enough to become more popular and hence get the aftermarket.

My DD is an A4 Avant. Sports suspension, blah, blah, blah. It's older, has everything the ultra sport had back then except the motor and the ultra sport specific sway bars. Plus the glorious Koni yellows. I sit 4" off the dirt. I was scraping the belly on the dirt as I was being the snowplow through basically a bog. Car was trashed with mud. Was a great time. I enjoyed getting to the firing line quite a bit! It really is surprising how far it'll go on Conti control contacts! Couple years back I got stuck in the middle of a snowstorm. Snow on the road was over my hood. 6hours and 14 gallons of fuel to go 150 miles. Had a blast! Same Conti tires too! Thank God for my aluminum skid plates! I've only once have traction control kick in (when I wasn't broad sliding the thing or really pushing it in the turns) which was a wet grassy climb into a a parking area with 2 tires on the ground due to the transitions. I didn't follow the signs very well.

The only electronics in my AWD push power left to right. If I hit TC OFF it disables that too. I believe it is a 4:1 torsen but I may be thinking of the JHM upgrade part. With TC OFF it's just a torsen center with open diffs front and rear and big fat tires.

From my experience where I've lived and where I've played the quattro system has always been top dog in AWD. It has never struggled. It has never faltered. I can't say that about any other AWD (and most 4wd) rigs I've been in or around. I blame my mom, she was the first in the family to get an Audi. We've been hooked ever since. They've been extremely reliable and stick to the earth amazing. Until all this BS with cameras, remove kill switches, and BS I planned to get another but I guess I'm keeping this one for a long time yet. Same with the old hardbody. I'll dump the Audi long before I dump that old pickup. The old hardbody has been phenomenal.
View Quote

B5? if so Quattro IV -T1 Torsen I think, Nope T2/Type B. But if B5 def had Electronic Differential Lock on fr and rr axles, prolly you mean by push power - shifting traction by limiting wheel spin in one wheel through ABS sensors and brakes to shift to wheel with traction. Didn't realize it was defeatable. Still less E than Quatrro V but not as mechanical as the previous Q II with the manual rear lock and QIII's rr Torsen.  But not entirely different than a number of other Torsen apps other mfgs used. Electronic clutch has the ability to shift larger biases than T-1 or T-2 Torsen (which I thinks limited to 70-30) and better packaging. The Race Touareg 2 in my avatar had 3 viscous locks. There's advantages/drawbacks to each dependent on application. But each Quattro gen is good stuff regardless, just tailored for different characteristics and more electronic intercession later iterations. Plus many competition solutions won't be tolerated in production models. Most of my experience been garnered there

Attachment Attached File

Forgot to caption the pic in previous post , which I threw on because it's the only Audi post late 90s that Id been in that was entirely mechanical due to simplified drivetrain - it still broke - and a one off race effort for Rally Raid. Mostly just a TT shell really, Cool piece of work. Had to dig this one up, someone on my team snapped it, better photog than my shitty front photo, which someone covered up with lots of post. It's good to have peeps look after you.

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

B5? if so Quattro IV -T1 Torsen I think, Nope T2/Type B. But if B5 def had Electronic Differential Lock on fr and rr axles, prolly you mean by push power - shifting traction by limiting wheel spin in one wheel through ABS sensors and brakes to shift to wheel with traction. Didn't realize it was defeatable. Still less E than Quatrro V but not as mechanical as the previous Q II with the manual rear lock and QIII's rr Torsen.  But not entirely different than a number of other Torsen apps other mfgs used. Electronic clutch has the ability to shift larger biases than T-1 or T-2 Torsen (which I thinks limited to 70-30) and better packaging. The Race Touareg 2 in my avatar had 3 viscous locks. There's advantages/drawbacks to each dependent on application. But each Quattro gen is good stuff regardless, just tailored for different characteristics and more electronic intercession later iterations. Plus many competition solutions won't be tolerated in production models. Most of my experience been garnered there

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0130_jpeg-3057093.JPG

Forgot to caption the pic in previous post , which I threw on because it's the only Audi post late 90s that Id been in that was entirely mechanical due to simplified drivetrain - it still broke - and a one off race effort for Rally Raid. Mostly just a TT shell really, Cool piece of work. Had to dig this one up, someone on my team snapped it, better photog than my shitty front photo, which someone covered up with lots of post. It's good to have peeps look after you.

View Quote

B6. No electronic diffs to my knowledge. Not much for wires to the tranny. Just the standard reverse switch and such. Uses the ABS to move power around as it wants. It really waits until the last minute. Takes quite a lot for it to kick in traction control. I've driven a lot of rigs that kick in traction control way too early. About the only time this thing does is when I'm getting rowdy on ice or go way too hot into a turn and even then I've only had it use traction control once on dry pavement. My konis are set up to be a little oversteer and even when the back end steps out it doesn't care. Hit the magic button and it doesn't care at all anymore. Free to spin, slide, drift, whatever. Surprised me how it turns all the nanny stuff off. 50/50 power split most of the time. I think it's 60/40 it can.move power but it could be a T2 at 70/30. Been a long time since I dug into that stuff on it. I got the konis tuned and been having a ball ever since. Needs more.power though. Want to do a tuned and KO4 powered 2.7T. I really love the car.

I believe most of the newer cars are much more dependent on the ABS sensors and what not. I like torsen over hilex out however it is spelled.

Everything breaks eventually. That rig looks fun for sure! Closest I've gotten to rally is bombing down the dirt roads where I grew up. Easy to do 60-70 down some.of them. Single track at 70 can be pretty wild! I struggle to find decent shocks for the truck anymore. Blew out the factory ones a few years back. Hit a railroad crossing doing 70 that was hidden around a corner. Was like hitting a curb at 70. Airborne truck. Blew out the front shocks on landing. Alignment was still spot on though! Ball joints I'm sure took a beating. I'm still pissed every time I see that railroad crossing. I know it exists now!
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I almost forgot about this thread.

Good stuff, Alacrity. The race TT is something i have never seen.

Quoted:

B6. No electronic diffs to my knowledge. Not much for wires to the tranny. Just the standard reverse switch and such. Uses the ABS to move power around as it wants. It really waits until the last minute. Takes quite a lot for it to kick in traction control. I've driven a lot of rigs that kick in traction control way too early. About the only time this thing does is when I'm getting rowdy on ice or go way too hot into a turn and even then I've only had it use traction control once on dry pavement. My konis are set up to be a little oversteer and even when the back end steps out it doesn't care. Hit the magic button and it doesn't care at all anymore. Free to spin, slide, drift, whatever. Surprised me how it turns all the nanny stuff off. 50/50 power split most of the time. I think it's 60/40 it can.move power but it could be a T2 at 70/30. Been a long time since I dug into that stuff on it. I got the konis tuned and been having a ball ever since. Needs more.power though. Want to do a tuned and KO4 powered 2.7T. I really love the car.

I believe most of the newer cars are much more dependent on the ABS sensors and what not. I like torsen over hilex out however it is spelled.

Everything breaks eventually. That rig looks fun for sure! Closest I've gotten to rally is bombing down the dirt roads where I grew up. Easy to do 60-70 down some.of them. Single track at 70 can be pretty wild! I struggle to find decent shocks for the truck anymore. Blew out the factory ones a few years back. Hit a railroad crossing doing 70 that was hidden around a corner. Was like hitting a curb at 70. Airborne truck. Blew out the front shocks on landing. Alignment was still spot on though! Ball joints I'm sure took a beating. I'm still pissed every time I see that railroad crossing. I know it exists now!
View Quote

FWIW electronic diff lock (EDL)on VAG products is defined as through ABS.

Its first implementation was on the corrado SLC.

The new stuff is 40/60 mechanical with the magic happening in the rear diff. Where they split the power up between l/r using wet clutches.

Haldex systems are vastly misunderstood.  Theyre good enough for the aventador they're good enough for the golf. GenV was pretty close, though simplified version of the lambo unit.

The system in the current golf R and S/rs3 that uses torque vectoring is slick. Really good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

B6 A4 had Torsen Center (Type B/T2 IIRC) , Open Diffs fr and rr, relied on EBD (mostly an improvement of EDL? which for all intents actions contained to respective axle) which utilized ECU, brake force modulators (which rely on electrically control) and speed sensors at each wheel and yaw sensor to ensure distribution of torque to non slipping wheels, additional to the Torsen fore/aft mechanical distribution. The same system was used on some VW models, and Haldex on Audi TT - and 3's until 2020.

Still not sure ESP defeat switch also turns off EDL or EBD. Everything I've heard is total defeat requires fuse removal, but I've never tested myself. In either case, If it does. I'm not sure why this is advisable given the open diffs? But these intercessory systems offer increased advantages in production use cases, over the purely mechanical, manual rr locks on Q I and II, which was an intentional engineering decision by Audi powertrain development. Toyota Machinery's acquisition of Torsen assets from Bosch influenced Audi dev of Crown Gear, tho later reintegrated Torsen. I'm not sure I know anyone anymore from Audi Sport, def not here, but I'll make some inquiries and get some clarifications  since def gaps in my knowledge.

There's a number of Toyota apps where you have a locking center and rr (SUVs) or a Torsen center (Type C in LF and JF series centers)  and in some cases also a Torsen rr (going back to first use in '88 with the F17TA in the GT-Four Homolgation models and later F20 series Torsen Type B rr diff  and non-SUV LF1A (T3 center diff which offered advantages over the previous vicuous centers). These double Torsen - LF series center/F series rr  - models are more mechanically independent (tho not purely so with various electronic augmentation) than open diff Quattro systems. But advantages depend on control characteristics desired. There's really no overall best, merely best in providing a certain set of characteristics. There's no free lunch.

Yea high speed off-road is tough on equipment. Shock loading from loss and regaining traction (weight loading, traction slippage, air) kills stuff dead. Abrupt transitions from low traction surfaces (sand, sugar esp so) to higher traction (rock, packed soil) is particularly common at Dakar - whether African races or the subsequent. Toyotas rear pre 8.2 diffs on 90s and 120s prone to failure on competition routes (and a weak point on production models, which 8.2 mostly solved) LC axles fared better, even when fully locked, which is why you see J200 and J300 T2 (Team TLC from TAB runs their own program (apart from various semi autonomous Gazoo teams in T1/T1+ where works entries are basically full on race constructs without many limitations) - utilizing triple lockers from GR Sport trims since better durability across drivetrain and drivetrain systems. These are production based systems as T2 requires, but also more off-road oriented with LC predominately.

Took this thread way off course, apologies LP
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I almost forgot about this thread.

Good stuff, Alacrity. The race TT is something i have never seen.

FWIW electronic diff lock (EDL)on VAG products is defined as through ABS.

Its first implementation was on the corrado SLC.

The new stuff is 40/60 mechanical with the magic happening in the rear diff. Where they split the power up between l/r using wet clutches.

Haldex systems are vastly misunderstood.  Theyre good enough for the aventador they're good enough for the golf. GenV was pretty close, though simplified version of the lambo unit.

The system in the current golf R and S/rs3 that uses torque vectoring is slick. Really good stuff.
View Quote

EDL/EBD use ABS assets, but are independent of ESP and not tied to ESP switch correct?

Yea afaik the VAG wet clutch system is similar to the production GR Yaris rear, tho there, due to packaging desire there's no center, lots of electronic intercession.

Nothing wrong with Haldex, but there's some durability issues in long format off-road comp where both repair time and replacement is limited, by rule and practicality. Production application is less impacted, tho any clutch pack is theoretically less durable than Torsen, tho much can be done to mitigate. I don't feel there's an overall advantage to any system, just some more advantageous depending on what characteristics are seen as more desirable for a use case, even electronic augmentation, esp in production applications. I could be entirely wrong

This applies to Gundum Godzilla system, to get this back on track -  heavily dependent on sensors and ECM control. But that's part of the magic and doesn't mean Mizuno made poor choices or Nissan sucks. Least esp not on the latest GT-R

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

EDL/EBD use ABS assets, but are independent of ESP and not tied to ESP switch correct? (1)

Yea afaik the VAG wet clutch system is similar to the production GR Yaris rear, tho there, due to packaging desire there's no center, lots of electronic intercession.

Nothing wrong with Haldex, but there's some durability issues in long format off-road comp where both repair time and replacement is limited, by rule and practicality. Production application is less impacted, tho any clutch pack is theoretically less durable than Torsten, tho much np an be down to mitigate. I don't feel there's an overall advantage to any system, just some more advantageous depending on what characteristics are seen as more desirable for a use case, even electronic augmentation. I could be entirely wrong (2)

This applies to Gundum Godzilla system, to get this back on track -  heavily dependent on sensors and ECM control. But that's part of the magic and doesn't mean Mizuno made poor choices or Nissan sucks. Least esp not on the latest GT-R

View Quote

(1)yes, and no.

some generations (MK4) the ESP would turn off ESP, then if held for 30 seconds would also shut off EDL. there was always an argument of how much it would turn off and this also varied by generation. some felt you never really turned ESP all the way off, just... reduced it.

(2)I should specify for on road Haldex, especially gen V was really very good. I have it on my Golf Alltrack and it works great, in "offroad" mode its mostly engaged before you even step on the throttle and for all intents functions as a normal AWD system, wiht the benifit that in econ mode I'm not driving all the wheels on the highway. Everything is best within its intended use, because every system has gives and takes.

Haldex was not intended for serious offroad use... it could have fantastic charachtaristics but would require a system to cool the clutch fluid, which makes it weaker and adds complexity for something with only small benift over a Torsen or other diff. 4Xmotion (actual locking differentials) was used on the touareg for a reason

they were all discontinued because no one ever used them. from a on road drivers standpoint, the torque vectoring on a Gen 8 golf R.. amazing.

I don't know enough about nissans to know anything except the old GTR had style and character lost in Japanese cars once the oil crisis hit..

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#10]
TC off lets things spin nicely. Sometimes you just gotta dig, dig, dig! The B6 uses abs to move power around. It's not very active like newer systems. Hell, even the auto levelling headlights are not real active. It's very rare for them to move when you are driving. In all is a decent combination of tech and mechanical and it keeps going just fine if all the tech dies.

As far as off-road killing things. Nissan needs to look back at the hardbody and do more of that. The things I've done with mine and it doesn't care. 7000lbs trailers of hay over the mountain passes (hills kinda suck with not enough power), off-road at speed, off-road slow, snow, sand, you name it. Even drove it for a month or so with a trashed wrist pin, 100% my fault as I accidentally starved it for oil several years prior, and it still always started and got me there. It's 38 years old in April and you can't tell. Most people think it's late 90s because they were still made then. No squeaks, no rattles, it's still solid.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was behind a relatively new titan the other day, maybe a few years old, billowing put smoke.
View Quote

Poor maintenance (or NO maintenance) isn't the truck's fault. I've seen the same thing with Chevy (my Nephew's '18 Silverado, in fact).
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bring the Nissan patrol over here and I might buy it
View Quote

It’s called the armada.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

(1)yes, and no.

some generations (MK4) the ESP would turn off ESP, then if held for 30 seconds would also shut off EDL. there was always an argument of how much it would turn off and this also varied by generation. some felt you never really turned ESP all the way off, just... reduced it.

(2)I should specify for on road Haldex, especially gen V was really very good. I have it on my Golf Alltrack and it works great, in "offroad" mode its mostly engaged before you even step on the throttle and for all intents functions as a normal AWD system, wiht the benifit that in econ mode I'm not driving all the wheels on the highway. Everything is best within its intended use, because every system has gives and takes.

Haldex was not intended for serious offroad use... it could have fantastic charachtaristics but would require a system to cool the clutch fluid, which makes it weaker and adds complexity for something with only small benift over a Torsen or other diff. 4Xmotion (actual locking differentials) was used on the touareg for a reason

they were all discontinued because no one ever used them. from a on road drivers standpoint, the torque vectoring on a Gen 8 golf R.. amazing.

https://i0.wp.com/www.drivelife.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/image.png?ssl=1

I don't know enough about nissans to know anything except the old GTR had style and character lost in Japanese cars once the oil crisis hit..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeYgorLW4AAwo9J?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDL/EBD use ABS assets, but are independent of ESP and not tied to ESP switch correct? (1)

Nothing wrong with Haldex, but there's some durability issues in long format off-road comp where both repair time and replacement is limited, by rule and practicality. Production application is less impacted, tho any clutch pack is theoretically less durable than Torsten, tho much np an be down to mitigate. I don't feel there's an overall advantage to any system, just some more advantageous depending on what characteristics are seen as more desirable for a use case, even electronic augmentation. I could be entirely wrong (2)

(1)yes, and no.

https://i0.wp.com/www.drivelife.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/image.png?ssl=1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeYgorLW4AAwo9J?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Thx man, as always appreciate your voluminous knowledge. And @Deerhurst since we got to hash some of this out. Apologies again to everyone for taking the thread sideways

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Back on track - Peak Nissan - New Z debut

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Close second tho NMP. Sunny GTI-R - I'd also accept Pulsar GTI-RB, 240 RS or Bluebird SSR.

Never seeing any of the coolness from Yokohama again.

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of really pretty Nissan photos there guys.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Man the greatest information shows up on threads in GD.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I shopped for a Nissan Frontier before deciding on a Toyota Tacoma.

They’re charging too much for what has been considered for years to be a budget brand.

It was visibly inferior build quality to Toyota. Rusting on the lot. Cheap looking and feeling interior. Cheap feeling switches for things like lighting that kind of flickered on.

Wasn’t an overall terrible looking truck. Drove pretty decently… but it was really only a few thousand less than the Toyota and the Toyota is significantly more refined. The loaded up Nissan felt like a fleet vehicle. The loaded up Toyota has more display of quality and feels borderline luxury. Even just looking at the interior… the Nissan feels like you’re going to work at some shitty job at a utility company reading water meters or something. The Toyota feels like you’re about to go on an adventure.

Nissan had numerous Frontiers sitting on the lot long enough to rust. I walked away because we couldn’t make a deal- they couldn’t come down enough.

Toyota had none on the lot. I waited weeks for what I was looking for to come in. The entire shipment of Tacomas were gone within a few days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Man the greatest information shows up on threads in GD.
View Quote

Arfcom is better than most dedicated car forums.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I shopped for a Nissan Frontier before deciding on a Toyota Tacoma.

They’re charging too much for what has been considered for years to be a budget brand.

It was visibly inferior build quality to Toyota. Rusting on the lot. Cheap looking and feeling interior. Cheap feeling switches for things like lighting that kind of flickered on.

Wasn’t an overall terrible looking truck. Drove pretty decently… but it was really only a few thousand less than the Toyota and the Toyota is significantly more refined. The loaded up Nissan felt like a fleet vehicle. The loaded up Toyota has more display of quality and feels borderline luxury. Even just looking at the interior… the Nissan feels like you’re going to work at some shitty job at a utility company reading water meters or something. The Toyota feels like you’re about to go on an adventure.

Nissan had numerous Frontiers sitting on the lot long enough to rust. I walked away because we couldn’t make a deal- they couldn’t come down enough.

Toyota had none on the lot. I waited weeks for what I was looking for to come in. The entire shipment of Tacomas were gone within a few days.
View Quote

Yes, drum brakes are significantly more refined in 2023.

Toyota also needs to go back to 1989 and build trucks like that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Best era.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Way before my time. I think I saw Scoops truck maybe once at SEMA. If it wasnt for Ironman, Spencer would prolly be the household name. Toyota did their best to make him a Rockstar

All my Stewart stuff is hand me down film well after the fact. Hell I don't think I have any of my own truck shots in North America, just some stage rally. Stuff like SCCA Pro-Rally -  Sunriser, Olympus when it was a Group B era WRC stop. I only have minimal Nissan shots starting at Dakar from '09 on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

All the Group B Nissan, should have been a tip off. Only two were B/12, (the two you'd think) but there were only really a handful of mfgs competitive in B/12

I was enamored with Toyota since they sponsored that Rally. I effin hate Americans hate Stage Rally and Raid grew up different. But don't expect a Works effort come back, prolly ever.

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top