BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We live in a neighborhood just outside the "city limit" sign...we will be mortaring away as usual.
View Quote
Us too I live on 40 acres so I won't bother anyone.

Thing is a guy in the neighborhood has a machine gun and tannerite and the

Sell tannerite and guns at the general store 5 mins away.

I love hearing the gunfire knowing that nobody is gonna come in and

Say roll of the QRF right fucking now

Knukledragger knows what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'M A HARDCORE SOLDIER.  I DEPLOYED AND KILL PEOPLE.  I AM ARMY STRONG. I CAN DO ANYTHING!

Except....

I have PTSD and fireworks bother me.

Veterans trying to become the next protected class. Fucking retarded. I hope the guy dies in a fucking VA line.
View Quote
Wow it didn't catch the last sentance, fucking savage!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Spent 5+ years in the Mid East and Central Asia.

Fireworks is the sound of freedom, motherfucker.  I can differentiate a holiday from someone actively shooting at me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is this the new look at me fad?

View Quote

Yes and it isn't just people in the military.  I've removed every known liberal from my Facebook feed but lately it has been covered up with pictures of cowering animals, including squirrels, with a meme about "people aren't the only ones suffering from PTDS due to fireworks".  Meaning no one is supposed to shoot off fireworks because someones dog won't like or the squirrels can't sleep.  So not only is it "look at me" but now it is "look at me and my poor critter".

Shit like that makes me want to go out and buy a ton of fireworks this year.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'M A HARDCORE SOLDIER.  I DEPLOYED AND KILL PEOPLE.  I AM ARMY STRONG. I CAN DO ANYTHING!

Except....

I have PTSD and fireworks bother me.

Veterans trying to become the next protected class. Fucking retarded. I hope the guy dies in a fucking VA line.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't agree with the whole gay thing, but I stayed at home and watched TV during the last gay pride parade.

Just sayin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It started a couple years ago.

Special snowflakes need their attention.
View Quote

My guess as well.

I'm open to being educated on the topic, but especially hearing of folks who were not apparently in combat bleating this, it seems stupid.

I've dealt with PTSD myself from, among other things, gunfights, and the one and only time I had a bad experience with fireworks was when a grade-A moron (pictured left,) loaded a firework mortar upside down, which ended up with the thing blowing up in the tube and burning off the right half of my moustache.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have Roman candle wars with my friends who are combat vets.

View Quote

You do know OK is one big tinder box.  And I don't mean the internet tinder........

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I suspect there have been men (combat veterans) who since the inception of gunpowder disdain loud noises. There was a period when I 'over reacted' to fireworks noise...and I don't have to apologize to you for a fucking thing.

Now it's just the 'joyous noise of freedom'. Time heals most all wounds.

This guy just apologized for and explained his upcoming absence from the festivities, he asked no 'snowflake' status.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect there have been men (combat veterans) who since the inception of gunpowder disdain loud noises. There was a period when I 'over reacted' to fireworks noise...and I don't have to apologize to you for a fucking thing.

Now it's just the 'joyous noise of freedom'. Time heals most all wounds.

This guy just apologized for and explained his upcoming absence from the festivities, he asked no 'snowflake' status.

Yeah,and his explanation" reads exactly like a "I'm leaving arfcom" attention seeking thread.Who gives a shit if he doesn't show for fireworks? Only him,that's who.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a vet, so I'll refrain from judgment.

That being said, the number of active duty military and veterans I know thoroughly enjoy blowing shit up on the 4th
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sustain or abstain.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My old platoon sgt posted this today of FB. Just some back story we served in Somalia back in 93. IIRC he was always in the rear with the gear while we made daily patrols out in the Mog. We got shot at a few times but it was never anything too serious and nothing like what the guys and girls in the past years have gone through. The worst injury we had over there was one of our dipshits shot off the tip of his pinky with a 9mm.  I know everyone deals with dangerous situations in their own way but I asked some guys in my old unit what did he experience differently than what we did. No one could come up with an answer. He was always sitting in the commo room while we were outside the wire, I never once remember him going out with us. Then last year I ran into a guy on my block who said that he was going someplace quiet for the 4th because of his PTSD. I asked him what did he do over there. He said he was motorpool.  Is this the new look at me fad?

Here is what my old PSG posted.

I, as a combat veteran, have chosen to sustain from the independence day activities. I have great difficulty with explosions, loud booms and bright flashing lights, especially those that resemble muzzle flashes. Please do not take this as disrespect,I have been blessed with the honor and the opportunity and have paid my respects to our glorious nation by serving our citizens without regard for my life. I do not expect any of you to understand nor do I ask you to change anything you plan to do, all I ask is that you please forgive me for being unable to join you in this celebration. Thank you. Your average American combat veteran
Sustain or abstain.  

Refrain?

Eta

Working on neighborhood fire order. Im thinking Hendrix Star Spangeled Banner as the back ground music.
Gitta watch it tho, been dry up here the last month. Fire extinguisher and garden hose at the ready.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have run across some people that lost friends to IED's and had real problems with fireworks, especially if alcohol was involved.  

Personally I don't like loud booms when I am not expecting them, but after the first one, I sit back and enjoy the show.  I was a fobbit security contractor though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Meh I been shot and blown up with the medals to prove both. I try to set the world on fire every 4th because feels should never get in the way of a kickass awesome time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a big party on the 4th in 1999. Lot of guys who were Vietnam combat vets and they were the ones shooting off the fireworks. Only one of them didn't think it was funny when I slipped in the house and cranked up CCR on the stereo.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
EAR motherfucking PRO and drive on
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not military, so I really have no idea what PTSD is like...  My own issue is crowd noises... I hate crowd noise. Doesn't make me freak out as much as it just irritates me.    I bowl on Sunday nights and the noise there is the worst of them all. I feel for the people that dislike loud noises. But again, I don't know how bad it really can be....
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Everyone wants to be speshul
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]
That individual is not "Your average American combat veteran ".

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.  I know the difference between fireworks (especially on a specific date like the 4th of July, this isn't some new thing) and incoming.

Special snowflakes.

edit:
Quoted:

Everybody handles their combat and/or deployment experiences differently, OP.  I consider myself pretty damn mentally tough, but fireworks and crowds are not my favorite things in the world anymore.

Yeah, I have to admit, I hate crowds.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Did the Vikings suffer from PTSD?  The Huns, the Celts, etc.?

Men used to live for war, some Native American tribes would not discipline male children as they believed it would make them less of a warrior when they entered manhood.  

Now we have men that freak out over some fireworks.,,,,,,
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not military, so I really have no idea what PTSD is like...  My own issue is crowd noises... I hate crowd noise. Doesn't make me freak out as much as it just irritates me.    I bowl on Sunday nights and the noise there is the worst of them all. I feel for the people that dislike loud noises. But again, I don't know how bad it really can be....
View Quote

Maybe you are just an introvert?  

I don't like crowds, and it's because I'm an introvert, nothing more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't walked in his shoes.

It's lot like he's asking anyone to refrain from their normal program.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I understand

I just talk to myself and say relax fucker your here with your wife
Kids are have fun smile and fucking chill out.

Crowds I just hate so I get it, I just tell myself shits ok man just the fuck chill out

If it gets too bad I just go out and have a smoke.

Most of the time I just look at the women and make fun of the fatties

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a hard time with fireworks, to tell you the truth.  My last deployment was nearly 10 years ago, and I was not diagnosed with PTSD even though I did seek counseling.

I really enjoy watching fireworks, but ever since my last deployment, I can only take a few minutes of them before I start looking for a quiet spot.

I also don't do well in crowds anymore.

If somebody tells me that they have a hard time with these things after a deployment, even if I know their deployment didn't consist of much actual combat, I try to offer support instead of judgment.

Everybody handles their combat and/or deployment experiences differently, OP.  I consider myself pretty damn mentally tough, but fireworks and crowds are not my favorite things in the world anymore.

I understand

I just talk to myself and say relax fucker your here with your wife
Kids are have fun smile and fucking chill out.

Crowds I just hate so I get it, I just tell myself shits ok man just the fuck chill out

If it gets too bad I just go out and have a smoke.

Most of the time I just look at the women and make fun of the fatties

A good friend of mine got back from AFG in late winter/early spring (this was several years ago), and my gf and I went to the July 4th fireworks with him and his gf. They launched a few during the "rocket's red glare" part of the national anthem, and I think the fact that he wasn't expecting it scared the crap out of him. He was OK during the actual show, but those definitely bothered him. His team had run over an IED about a year ago in their MRAP (everyone was OK -- concussions and general soreness).
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy fireworks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Weak pussies that made it through basic and it/osut.

Edit. Not a psychiatrist, psychologist or neuro biologist. Just a dumb 13 bravo. Maybe their brains aren't wired normally or were rewired due to stress.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Phobias are treated using something called "Immersion Therapy"

If someone is pants-shitting afraid of water, the treatment is to have them slowly approach a swimming pool and get a grip on their fear.

Avoidance of water makes the fear have more power, approaching water makes the fear diminish.

There is no psychiatrist on earth that would tell you to avoid the thing you fear.  That puts huge fangs in the mouth of the fear.

Some people have really bad panic attacks because they're stressed out all the time and their adrenaline gland keeps going haywire and loading them up with adrenaline.

If those kind of people run home when they have a panic attack, they end up being housebound.  They cannot even set foot outside their house or they have a massive panic attack.

They conditioned themselves to trigger a panic attack simply by setting their foot on their front porch.

The treatment for that is for them to trigger a panic attack and get used to the horrible feeling.

They have to train their brain to not fear the attacks, then the attacks stop happening.

Don't take my word on it, look it up.

Running away from phobic situations is the very worst thing that you can do to yourself.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#30]

So how did they deliver the card?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I have had a bit of time around firefights and non-consensual explosions.

Loud noises do sometimes get me, but only if I am completely surprised by them, and even so I don't dive for cover or anything stupid like that.  I usually freeze, tense up, and take a second to look around to see what the hell is going on.  Kinda like I did with surprise loud noises before the military, maybe a little worse now.

If I am expecting noises, such as on a holiday....pfft. Non-issue.    I think if these people have such an issue with their PTSD then some drawn shades and some noise-cancelling headphones should be in the cards for them a few specific times of the year.  Maybe the VA should give them a set of nice bose headphones.... and that's about where I draw the line.  

Honestly the only time I have really had a real bad issue with a loud boom where I acted retarded I was crawling around on top of an IED digging it up with my face about 18" off it, and there was a large, unannounced explosive breach about 75 meters from me. I fell back and kinda threw my hands up like an idiot and froze for a couple seconds.   Then I looked around to see if anyone saw me, and continued working.  Unfortunately, a couple people were watching me at the time and I still catch shit for it.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Hahahaha, that is awesome. Except for the whole artilleryman part.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top