Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In any contest of wits between fatboy and Trump, my money is on Trump.

I keep seeing all of this defeatist shit based on simplistic notions and lack of particulars by people assuming arbitrarily that there isn't going to be any sort of oversight or cutouts. The days of those guys are, temporarily at least, over.
View Quote
I'm willing to let this play out.

The status quo was going to lead to war, most likely, so if this doesn't pan out, well, what have we lost?

I am cautiously optimistic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder at what point we start to care about the whole generational slavery, mass murder, international terrorism, narcotic production, and counterfeiting stuff...

This is the absolute epitome of "lay down with dogs, get fleas."

View Quote
We have always been pretty selective about that kind of thing when it comes to dealing with the crimes of dictatorships. Nazi leadership got raked through the coals and are being hunted down and put on trial to this day. Japan, who committed just as bad of atrocities, pretty much got off easy (besides the nukes and all) and we built them up to our biggest ally in the region.

I hate to say it, but the US does tend to excuse things when a partnership could be beneficial.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:41:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another place to send America jobs, and payed for with American tax dollars.
View Quote
Did you read?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Much like the East Germans, only about 1000x worse.  They'll have a very hard time adapting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the NORK citizens will be overwhelmed
Much like the East Germans, only about 1000x worse.  They'll have a very hard time adapting.
While it's nice to imagine the political/economic possibilities, one things for sure:

Korean Girls Try American BBQ
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fixed
View Quote
Well they’ve been around longer than pretty much any nation so I guess they have the super duper mega long game in mind especially since they make so many retarded short sighted decisions.

People that think China is some sort of mysterious wise empire that plans centuries ahead has never done more than read about China in GD.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Point taken.

The world was plunged into WWII because the European powers were tired of war and did everything they could to forestall the inevitable.   They traded nations and people's lives that were not theirs to trade for "peace in their time."

I wonder if we are so war weary, as a nation, that we are making a similar mistake here.

I don't know.

The fat boy could be playing us.   At which time we either wind up back where we started or at war.
View Quote
This doesnt have the stink of 'peace at all costs' at this point though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#7]
LOLOL

American companies coming to remake NK.....LOLOL

That will be the death of them!!  
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Trump is a genius.  He took the Bush plan and cut out the middle part - where we spend trillions on war - and went straight to the "rebuild them afterwards" part.  Genius.

View Quote
I'll tell you what he's doing: he's starting with the rebuilding first knowing that if they act up he can sell them everything AGAIN after it gets bombed into the Stone Age. He cares about jobs and GDP. Selling them everything twice is good for the bottom line.

Plus building things to bomb first creates an excuse to use up more munitions thereby creating more jobs for the MIC also.
He gets to show his hand as the deal maker, and he mitigates criticism as he can show everything he's done to try to prevent conflict by giving Kim a path to peace. He can't lose no matter what happens.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL.....Just for laughs the first country off the boat to help them should be the Japanese. They know a thing or three about "helping" Korea.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have always been pretty selective about that kind of thing when it comes to dealing with the crimes of dictatorships. Nazi leadership got raked through the coals and are being hunted down and put on trial to this day. Japan, who committed just as bad of atrocities, pretty much got off easy (besides the nukes and all) and we built them up to our biggest ally in the region.

I hate to say it, but the US does tend to excuse things when a partnership could be beneficial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder at what point we start to care about the whole generational slavery, mass murder, international terrorism, narcotic production, and counterfeiting stuff...

Hell look at what France did under Nazi occupation. We hung Germans for rounding up Jews but not a single Frenchman was punished in an international court for the same thing. Just following orders was no excuse for Germans but apparently it was all the excuse needed for the French.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and pray.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On one hand: fuck North Korea.
On the other: this could end up being a real hard counter to China. It'd be a way to steal the Chinese buffer state from them.

Interesting.
View Quote
my thought exactly. First order of business, before any American companies went there, would be to revamp all their laws. i.e. no more life prison sentence for folding a picture of dear leader, etc. Some serious changes are coming if they really push this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#13]
NK is a dismal shithole

Just from the limited footage we have those poor people live horribly. Hospitals with no fucking soap or running water
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]
As long as it's not our tax dollars and they want some freedom.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
-- private sector Americans coming in to help build out the energy grid," he said. "They need enormous amounts of electricity in North Korea."
View Quote

They need 1.21 gigawatts to build nukes! Couldnt do it easily before..... Tanks Amewica! We wuv you veddy much!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hell look at what France did under Nazi occupation. We hung Germans for rounding up Jews but not a single Frenchman was punished in an international court for the same thing. Just following orders was no excuse for Germans but apparently it was all the excuse needed for the French.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The French themselves wernt to reluctent to execute French Vichy collaborateurs

A lot of the time Due Process cam later

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Now if Trump pulls off boxing in China that would be some 87d chess
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They need 1.21 gigawatts to build nukes! Couldnt do it easily before..... Tanks Amewica! We wuv you veddy much!
View Quote
The problem with capitalism is that it's win/win.

Tribalist defectors hate this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Always thought we could show NK the path to peace and prosperity.

It could have been done long ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A nuclear deal that doesn't involve transferring large amounts of cash in the night?
View Quote
Well the Clintons weren't involved.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
if their is one thing we are good at it is turning our former enemies into friends, oddly
View Quote
That is a uniquely American thing we do repeatedly.

We go to war against you, we kick your ass, we make you surrender, then we pick you up, dust you off, shake your hand, and then start sending you billions of dollars in aid and assistance and start giving you the opportunity to build the stuff that we want to buy even though that means we'll probably be losing manufacturing capability as a result, while you grow yours.

America in general is more than happy to make friends even if we have to kick your ass first.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#22]
denuke NOKO - win

US companies making money in NOKO - win

Geebus. Anti-Trumpers must be shitting themselves.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#23]
We’ll build them a few McDonald’s, that will plump them all up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#24]
And maybe some Kioti tractors from SK to start upping their farming capability.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They can keep the USS Pueblo if we can keep their Nukes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need the USS Pueblo back first.
That is a deal on par with the Louisiana purchase.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Capitalism is the fix for Communism.

Whodathunk
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stop saying that, China's government is retarded and has been for hundreds of years.  They've fucked themselves over and over again with short term thinking.

Recently, the Chinese Communist Party is the government that enacted the one child policy without considering the huge imbalance of elderly vs. worker that's coming due now.  They built bridges to nowhere and ghost cities just to look good in quarterly reports and maximize graft.  They had to shut down billions of dollars worth of steel mills or else evacuate their capital due to the air pollution.  And this government has been radically reorganized every generation or so, mutating from one of the world's most orderly power transitions with a ten year term limit to a dictatorship for life within the last six months.

The Chinese don't plan for shit.
View Quote
but but i've been assured the 21st century is the asian century

a genetic dead end nothing more
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm willing to let this play out.

The status quo was going to lead to war, most likely, so if this doesn't pan out, well, what have we lost?

I am cautiously optimistic.
View Quote
the deal has already been made, what you're seeing is just theater
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Trump needs this, it will be a great thing on his reelection. He has the Embassy in Jerusalem going and its killing the Libtards .  #Winning, #MAGA, #Get in the box John McCain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
We hung quite a few Japanese war criminals.  Others got imprisonment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#31]
US foreign policy is so funny.

North Korea suddenly we're going to open up to and help develop economically.  Cuba, screw you we're keeping the embargo and anyone who suggests otherwise is a commie!!  I guess the lesson for Cuba was you should have gotten a nuke.

Anyway, the administration is making sense here.   There's still no way Kim is going to just give up his nukes.  (obviously)
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Another place to send America jobs, and payed for with American tax dollars.
View Quote
LOL - oh man.  Truly you do not want to do the type of work that NK peasants surviving on 1 cup of rice per week want to do.   And much of our prosperity is because of trade.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are you kidding? He'll be the Gorbachev of the 21st century.

Sure, he probably isn't that clued...but he is smart enough to know that there's no point to continuing the status quo.

He probably got images and information about what life is like in South Korea, China, USA, etc and thought... "the fuck?"

You never know...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long the NORKs give up their Nukes & Missiles, which if that happens lil'Rocketman may not be long for this world.

Sure, he probably isn't that clued...but he is smart enough to know that there's no point to continuing the status quo.

He probably got images and information about what life is like in South Korea, China, USA, etc and thought... "the fuck?"

You never know...
He was educated in Europe.  He knows what's beyond his borders.

He also knows that nuclear weapons are the only thing that makes the DPRK relevant to the outside world.  So, why give up that leverage?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He also knows that nuclear weapons are the only thing that makes the DPRK relevant to the outside world. So, why give up that leverage?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long the NORKs give up their Nukes & Missiles, which if that happens lil'Rocketman may not be long for this world.

You never know...

He also knows that nuclear weapons are the only thing that makes the DPRK relevant to the outside world. So, why give up that leverage?
Exactly.  It's still a major development and Trump deserves credit for this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Boy, you think Chinese labor is cheap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Shouldn't North Korea be helping us?

Don't we have to eat birds and snow and tree bark or some shit like that?

How will the North Korean people react once they know the truth?
View Quote
Hopefully by clamoring for American grown food and doubling the worlds strategic reserve of hot Korean women.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't' believe this will happen, honestly.  

North Korean dictators have held on to power by isolating their people and demonizing the West.  If companies come in and set up shop, then the Norks will see that they've been repressed and starved for decades.  After that, they'll work to overthrown Lil' Kim.

For the dictators to stay in charge, they can't let their citizens see how the rest of the world lives.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
my thought exactly. First order of business, before any American companies went there, would be to revamp all their laws. i.e. no more life prison sentence for folding a picture of dear leader, etc. Some serious changes are coming if they really push this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On one hand: fuck North Korea.
On the other: this could end up being a real hard counter to China. It'd be a way to steal the Chinese buffer state from them.

Interesting.
Because we had so much fun rewriting laws in Iraq.   But kinda to your point one thing the administration has NOT mentioned at all is human rights.  That's partially understandable, it can come later.  But for any kind of investment some legal security will be needed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't' believe this will happen, honestly.

North Korean dictators have held on to power by isolating their people and demonizing the West.  If companies come in and set up shop, then the Norks will see that they've been repressed and starved for decades.  After that, they'll work to overthrown Lil' Kim.

For the dictators to stay in charge, they can't let their citizens see how the rest of the world lives.
View Quote
North Koreans actually seem to have some glimmer about what's going on, defectors say that average people have managed to smuggle in a few cheap smartphones and tablets in recent years.  No internet access of course, but Chinese and South Korean TV gets ripped onto memory cards and those are regularly smuggled into NK.  A whole village might share a couple devices that a few people watch at a time and after a month everyone has seen the latest soap operas and action movies.

It's common enough that the police are said to have turned a blind eye to it.  A handful of people get busted hard every so often to make a point but not enough to prevent most people from doing it discretely.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A nuclear deal that doesn't involve transferring large amounts of cash in the night?
View Quote
Don't forget getting your people back before even talking about a deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#41]
lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We'll put a McDonalds next in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need the USS Pueblo back first.
We'll put a McDonalds next in it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Do we have a list of what companies?

I would like to buy some stock.  

If this peach and reunification thing comes to fruition...
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Jeez I wonder why?

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Does anyone think NK won't use this as an excuse to steal a bunch of our tech (just like China), infiltrate our nation with spies of their own (just like China), and ultimately nationalize whatever investment we make over there (like has been done many, many times in shithole communist states)?  Meanwhile, we won't be able to saber-rattle at them for any reason, because we're now at "peace," so they can continue terrorizing South Korea and conducting large scale criminal acts.  At 'peace,' the pro-China/pro-Nork South Korean factions will be emboldened to reject the continued US presence in the region; we won't be "needed" any more.

NK won't be profitable for anyone but Un so long as he sits in that chair.  I think if NK's government collapsed we could see a veritable golden age as all that untapped social potential is finally freed to pursue profitable activities vs. cheering a fat man, but anything short of that really isn't worth our time.  We don't need to bribe the Kims to have influence over the peninsula.

I had been wondering what Trump had given away to NK in exchange for their 'unilateral de-nuclearization.'  Billions of dollars of cash for an enemy nation on its last legs as part of some "save the world" nuclear deal; where have we seen this story, recently?  This is playing out EXACTLY like Clinton, Bush, and Obama.  We'll even get to see them demolish some outmoded enrichment facility they're no longer using, I hear.  Just like the last time.
View Quote
I think after Iraq & Libya we got over that shit. Stability with a house broke dog is better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The US is being played.

They will take everything we offer, then walk away from the deal.
View Quote
The deal is they give up the Nukes, let us inspect or they get nothing. In fact they might be giving up 5 Nukes just to have the meeting with President Trump. That is still under discussion.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well they’ve been around longer than pretty much any nation so I guess they have the super duper mega long game in mind especially since they make so many retarded short sighted decisions.

People that think China is some sort of mysterious wise empire that plans centuries ahead has never done more than read about China in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed

China has been screwing itself for centuries. Their 1 Child Policy may doom them in some of our lifetimes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I believe it finally dawned on Fat Boy that he could not win with his 'bluster and threaten' routine, and meanwhile his people, even his military, was starving to death in his bid for military might.

So, now he's going to try the 'Benevolent Hero of The People' bit by actually getting some food to eat for them...and it will work.

The response from China will be interesting.
View Quote
Rocket Man can get wealthy. Truly wealthy, not just wealthier than dirt eaters.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To be fair, he has to know about it first. If the NRA isn't telling him about it, he's not going to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He could dismiss the barrel import ban tonight.
To be fair, he has to know about it first. If the NRA isn't telling him about it, he's not going to do it.
NRA isn't going to tell him about because they need to use it to bring in donations.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top