Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
And everything under the sun is in tune
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree and I live where it was 100%.
It was cool looking but wasn't even the best part of my day, certainly not life changing or anything like that.
Being 74F, dry, sunny, little wind was the nicest day of the year so far, that was the best part of yesterday.

I've been stuck by lightning, that was a lot more memorable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, I don't get it. To me it's the same as seeing a rainbow, or some other rare sight. Not that big of a deal......sure as hell wouldn't drive hours to see an eclipse for a couple of minutes.

I agree and I live where it was 100%.
It was cool looking but wasn't even the best part of my day, certainly not life changing or anything like that.
Being 74F, dry, sunny, little wind was the nicest day of the year so far, that was the best part of yesterday.

I've been stuck by lightning, that was a lot more memorable.

I hope the people making these sort of replies aren’t as dull minded, uncurious, unappreciative and jaded as their words make them seem. I would hate for anyone, especially myself, to go through life like that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The idiots and doomers ruined any hype I had for it
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The idiots and doomers ruined any hype I had for it
View Quote
Idiots and doomers can ruin any and all things, but only if you let them.

Enjoy life, experience stuff.  Don't let the retards online or in the news impact you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Enjoy life, experience stuff.  Don't let the retards online or in the news impact you.
View Quote

Yeah it's something I need to work on, I had to work also and saw it in 2017 so wasn't too worried
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah it's something I need to work on, I had to work also and saw it in 2017 so wasn't too worried
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you saw it in totality, then good for you!

I loved the show in 2017 so much I came right home and found the 2024 one and printed a copy of the data/map and hung it in my office as a reminder.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting take, and I believe every bit of it.

Over hyped, over played, no one cared.

“Get two days worth of food and gas”

Please.
View Quote

The missive from the Mayor of Forest (2 pages, BOTH sides each) suggested stocking up a weeks worth of food, gas and medicine by 4/04.
21 numbered bullet points including:
Be prepared to stay, play and work from home.
Reschedule doctors appointments.
Cell towers and internet may overload.
Plan for alternate communications with family not at home.
"Clear your yard and porch of items that can be easily removed. Feel free to rope off your property and post no trespassing signs"
Have cash on hand.
Keep doors and windows locked. Do not open the door for unknown individuals.
Do not block sewer pits?? Wtf?
This one is my favorite post apocalyptic admonition of all:
"If you don't have a supply find someone who does and use theirs"  WOLVERINES!!!!!!!
Bunch more minor derp.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The missive from the Mayor of Forest (2 pages, BOTH sides each) suggested stocking up a weeks worth of food, gas and medicine by 4/04.
"Clear your yard and porch of items that can be easily removed. Feel free to rope off your property and post no trespassing signs"
Have cash on hand.
"If you don't have a supply find someone who does and use theirs"  WOLVERINES!!!!!!!
Bunch more minor derp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting take, and I believe every bit of it.

Over hyped, over played, no one cared.

“Get two days worth of food and gas”

Please.

Have cash on hand.
Bunch more minor derp.

An intelligent person would already be prepared for most of that. Not mocking the advice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
2017 (green) vs 2024 (red)

2024 crossed much more of the population centers (plus Mexico and Canada) and had a wider path with longer totality…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m 66 and I’ve seen a few of them now. One when I was a kid and made a pin hole camera to watch it and used a darkened stack of photo negatives to watch it.

Seems like there was another one when I was a young adult. And now this one. It was cool, the sunlight takes on a different look during the run up to it. it wasn’t a total eclipse where I’m at in SE Michigan.
It had a science fiction ish feel to it this time for me. What’s cool is how science can predict it down to the minute and lat and long of it.

My GF went to a couple different stores to source eclipse glasses for us. I had fun during it.

Nothing more nothing less it was a fun distraction.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My family is making plans and saving for it right now.  I'm officially hooked lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sydney Australia is directly in the path of one in just 4 years from now.
That might be a fun trip, for many different reasons.

My family is making plans and saving for it right now.  I'm officially hooked lol.

There was a youtube video or maybe a news interview on someone who has seen like 15 total eclipses.  He said look for an area of the world in totality you wanted to go see anyway, the eclipse will be the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Might be simpler to just strap on some rockets and tow the moon around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if we can build a like a 195 mile wide disk and park it about 20,000 mile altitude, just inside geosynchronous orbit so it moves relative to the ground… we can have man made eclipses.

LEO would suck because it would travel so fast you’d have like 0.87 seconds of totality.  And you want it to move, some, kind of like the moon super slowly across the sky.

Fun fact: geosynchronous orbit is almost 1/10th the distance to the moon.  I find that pretty crazy.

Might be simpler to just strap on some rockets and tow the moon around.

Meh....just let the "empire" build the death star and block the sun with it.......
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
What a surprise !
same damn thing happened on Y2K, Nothing.
Except certain cults were transported to salvation, lucky bastards
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
my wife said a friend of hers was out walking with her baby in a stroller when someone driving passed rolled down the window and yelled at her to get home to safety because of the eclipse. we've regressed massively as a society.
View Quote
At one point weren't they ripping people's hearts out? At least that didn't happen.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#15]

I can see myself being in Barcelona or Bilbao in 2026.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can see myself being in Barcelona or Bilbao in 2026.
View Quote

Competition will be fierce with that one because it goes over such a small area of land, unlike yesterday.  And from what I saw if I'm not mistaken the length of totality is considerably shorter, like 1:20.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Competition will be fierce with that one because it goes over such a small area of land, unlike yesterday.  And from what I saw if I'm not mistaken the length of totality is considerably shorter, like 1:20.
View Quote

I would likely make it near the end of a bigger trip.

Like day 11 of 15 days. Plenty of cool smaller towns in the path aswell.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I’d guess that people are desperate for a distraction from the day to day shitshow we’re living these days.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I watched it from my property in the Ozarks.  Zero issues other than the 3 hour drive to get there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’d guess that people are desperate for a distraction from the day to day shitshow we’re living these days.
View Quote

Yeah, couldn’t possibly be that it’s a relatively rare and amazing phenomenon to experience. And from a practical perspective, literally a once or maybe twice in a lifetime opportunity for most people. Nah, couldn’t be that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's only a shitshow if you watch the news or have made very poor decisions in your life.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I know it's been said, but the difference between 99% and totality is literally night and day.  I couldn't get anyone on board to drive 4 hours in 2017 to be in the path of totality...their reasoning?  "We're in 95+%, why do we need to drive for a little more?"  

I went alone this week.  From east Tennessee to a little town in Arkansas with less than 100 people living there.  Ended up being over 1,000 miles round trip.  I didn't have to fight any crowds or put up with anyone screaming their heads off...I sat in this little towns park for several hours awaiting the moment.  And it was one of the most spectacular, jaw dropping things I have ever witnessed.

DSC_0031_inPixio (3) by Phillip Davis, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or, it's one of the most remarkable things a human can ever see on Earth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#25]
We need an eclipse subforum.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah you’ll have all of the EU able and wanting to get there.

Also. The 2026 eclipse in Spain will be very low on the horizon (in fact it’ll still be partial at sunset) so you better make sure you have a good view of the western horizon.  

2027 hopefully everyone will try to cram into Egypt.  It’ll be over 6 minutes over Luxor.  It’ll also go over Mecca.  And Gibraltar and Morocco.
So maybe that’ll leave Spain less crazy packed (and it’ll only be up to 4 minutes since Spain is not in the center

By the way, for the curious: you’ll note that 2027 eclipse is related to the one that’ll be in 2045 in the USA.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We need an eclipse subforum.
View Quote

I would say we need an edgelord forum but I guess that's what GD is
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah you’ll have all of the EU able and wanting to get there.

Also. The 2026 eclipse in Spain will be very low on the horizon (in fact it’ll still be partial at sunset) so you better make sure you have a good view of the western horizon.  
View Quote

that kind of sucks.

especially because it rains a lot in the north during august.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.  

To look up at a twilight sky, so swift it seemed as if brought on by a lightswitch ...seeing planets emerge ... and seeing a big black hole where the sun was supposed to be ... and the crown of the corona around it ... the sunset-esque colors all around the perimeter of the horizon ... the color of the sky around the sun - a deep neon-ish blue/purple - colors, a gradient of colors I don't think I've ever seen in my life...
... it brought me to tears.
View Quote

It's hard to explain it but there are lights and colors during totality that chemical or digital imaging are unable to capture or reproduce. It triggers almost primal feelings when you experience it and combined with all the associated ambience and stimuli it's just a profoundly moving experience. Now imagine not having the tiniest amount of knowledge of planets, stars and orbits. Nor even knowing of the existence of an eclipse and then imagine all those senses and emotions along with the fear of not knowing what's going on or knowing if the sun will re-emerge in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Meh....just let the "empire" build the death star and block the sun with it.......
View Quote
And then that whinny Luke blows the damn thing right before it starts to uncover the sun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#33]

kinda pissed that i saw this after the event

Guinness should of had a promotion
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top