Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious as to the risk assessment of transporting by helicopter vs ground convoy.  I would think helicopter would win out over ground convoy, but it obviously does not.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious as to the risk assessment of transporting by helicopter vs ground convoy.  I would think helicopter would win out over ground convoy, but it obviously does not.  

View Quote

Read Command and Control, and get back to us about flying these things around.

And the Minot-Barksdale incident notwithstanding, flying nukes around violates some treaties, I think.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is a great book.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Currently reading "Command and Control", nuclear weapons, the Damasacus Accident, and the illusion of safety. By Eric Schlosser. ISBN 978-0-14-312578-5

Lots in common with the OP.

I also recall a book called, maybe, "Broken Arrow" which detailed all known lost/damaged/FUBAR'd nukes up to that time (mid 90's?)

That is a great book.

Agree...

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And the Minot-Barksdale incident notwithstanding, flying nukes around violates some treaties, I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weapons can be moved by logistics aircraft (helos are not a delivery platform) but helos are kind of infamous for crashing more than fixed wing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah.

"Why can't I video the movement of a critical and vulnerable piece of nuclear weapons logistics?"

Some people are so stupid they should have their nutsack used as a pinata at Special Olympics after parties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And of course the 'respect muh authority' cop caused it all.  

Not surprised.  

Taking pictures of or harassing nuclear comvoys is a great way to get the FBI to interview you.

Yeah.

"Why can't I video the movement of a critical and vulnerable piece of nuclear weapons logistics?"

Some people are so stupid they should have their nutsack used as a pinata at Special Olympics after parties.

The really sad thing is that patriotism/security never enters their selfish little brains.  Why would you film that convoy, put it on YouTube and possibly providing that last little clue that a potential terrorist might need. Yes, that's far fetched as hell but why risk it? Yes, the bad guys could go anywhere along the route and observe/film for themselves, so make them do it themselves and risk the exposure.  Somebody might remember a plate #, a face.  Dumbass filming is dong their work for them.  Stupid.  It's a damn semi, some hummers and helos.  So what?  Those guys filming probably knew what was being transported.

It reminds me of the first Gulf war, where the tv networks were providing real-time troop movements...  You stupid, stupid fucks.    The potential ramifications are lives.  American lives.  For what?  To be "cutting-edge? Relevant? Providing the viewers back home with up-to-the-minute information that they need/deserve to know?  Ratings?"  How stupid.  Providing information that directly aids our enemies.  What stupid fucker thought that was a great idea?  Trained counter-terrorist guys on here are probably shaking their heads and thinking, "the bad-guys would have alread had that info from xyz others sources," but damn...

I don't know if there is any foundation  whatsoever for "mah feels," it just rubs me the wrong way.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what is the technical name of those up-armored Ford Superduties?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
what is the technical name of those up-armored Ford Superduties?

Lenco Bearcat.  You know, the vehicle designed for police use but is now being used by the military.  Policization of the military.

The first BearCat was designed and completed in August 2001 as a spin-off product of the larger Lenco B.E.A.R., with input from Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Special Enforcement Bureau (SEB) as an updated and improved version of their aging military surplus Cadillac Gage Ranger "PeaceKeeper" armored vehicles.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenco_BearCat

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The really sad thing is that patriotism/security never enters their selfish little brains.  Why would you film that convoy, put it on YouTube and possibly providing that last little clue that a potential terrorist might need. Yes, that's far fetched as hell but why risk it? Yes, the bad guys could go anywhere along the route and observe/film for themselves, so make them do it themselves and risk the exposure.  Somebody might remember a plate #, a face.  Dumbass filming is dong their work for them.  Stupid.  It's a damn semi, some hummers and helos.  So what?  Those guys filming probably knew what was being transported.

It reminds me of the first Gulf war, where the tv networks were providing real-time troop movements...  You stupid, stupid fucks.    The potential ramifications are lives.  American lives.  For what?  To be "cutting-edge? Relevant? Providing the viewers back home with up-to-the-minute information that they need/deserve to know?  Ratings?"  How stupid.  Providing information that directly aids our enemies.  What stupid fucker thought that was a great idea?  Trained counter-terrorist guys on here are probably shaking their heads and thinking, "the bad-guys would have already had that info from xyz others sources," but damn...

I don't know if there is any foundation  whatsoever for "mah feels," it just rubs me the wrong way.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised.  

Taking pictures of or harassing nuclear convoys is a great way to get the FBI to interview you.

Yeah.

It reminds me of the first Gulf war, where the tv networks were providing real-time troop movements...  You stupid, stupid fucks.    The potential ramifications are lives.  American lives.  For what?  To be "cutting-edge? Relevant? Providing the viewers back home with up-to-the-minute information that they need/deserve to know?  Ratings?"  How stupid.  Providing information that directly aids our enemies.  What stupid fucker thought that was a great idea?  Trained counter-terrorist guys on here are probably shaking their heads and thinking, "the bad-guys would have already had that info from xyz others sources," but damn...

There was a time when being a TV Repairman meant your family didn't even know what you really did. There is a small population working in the shadows, regardless of who is in the White House working everyday to ensure that our way of life continues.

I see a lot of folks in TN, how many are from the Knoxville area? OPSEC?

Intune69 brings up a good point, nobody thinks of what actions can cause harm.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It reminds me of the first Gulf war, where the tv networks were providing real-time troop movements...  You stupid, stupid fucks.    The potential ramifications are lives.  American lives.  For what?  To be "cutting-edge? Relevant? Providing the viewers back home with up-to-the-minute information that they need/deserve to know?  Ratings?"  How stupid.  Providing information that directly aids our enemies.  What stupid fucker thought that was a great idea?  Trained counter-terrorist guys on here are probably shaking their heads and thinking, "the bad-guys would have alread had that info from xyz others sources," but damn...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised.  

Taking pictures of or harassing nuclear comvoys is a great way to get the FBI to interview you.

Yeah.

As an outsider thats exactly what I was thinking. Why would an American film and place online video of something thjat could conivably could be of use to the enemies of the USA

Even the most retarded attack on a nuke convoy would be a big deal I would think  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As an outsider thats exactly what I was thinking. Why would an American film and place online video of something thjat could conivably could be of use to the enemies of the USA

Even the most retarded attack on a nuke convoy would be a big deal I would think  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised.  

Yeah.

Primarily, those types of people think "The Government" is the most evil thing in the world and out to get them.

So they feel justified in what they do. They're fighting evil.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top