Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My name is george nelson! Not babyface!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any of you boys know your way around a Walther PPK?
View Quote
I don't believe that's in Mississippi.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw on some talk show one night that when filming the movie Dan Tyminski went home and told his wife that she'd be hearing his voice but see George Clooney. She responded by saying " oh that's ok I do that every night in bed" !   I went to a " Down from the Mountain Tour " concert that made the rounds after the movie was out. Everyone who had songs in the movie was on that tour and even some who didn't !! I pissed my pants laughing when Norman Blake came out onstage in bib overalls and white t-shirt and nobody knew who he was or anything about him. their jaws dropped when he broke in to " Under the Double Eagle " playing so effortlessly!!!  That friggan concert cost me $300 as my boys [ early teens ]  asked if I'd buy them tickets so I told them I'd buy tickets for whoever came over and raked the pine cones and leaves in my backyard.[ thinking the tickets would be like $10-15 ]  They invited 3 of their friends over so when I went to get the tickets the clerk told me $300 for 6 tickets !!! My boys grew up listening to that music and knew of all the performers way ahead of time. But it was so awesome to see Patty Loveless, Ricky Scaggs, Ralph Stanley, Norman Blake, The Whites, The Cox Family, Alison Krause, Emmylou Harris, and others all in one show!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You shall see a... a cow... on the roof of a cotton house
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
“Pete, it’s a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.”
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The Three Stooges, with better production values...
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lost my wallet in El Segundo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love this movie, but another really good movie was the ladykillers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVL6AjybCZ0
You brought yo' bitch, to the Waffle Hut
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Clooney is a leftist retard.

But it's great movie.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
“Friend? Some of your folding money’s come unstowed”
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But it's great movie.
View Quote
It’s the only movie he’s in that I’ll watch.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But it's great movie.
View Quote
I saw this movie in the theater when it came out almost 20 years ago and didn't realize he was such a wacko.

Still like the movie and would watch it again (I've seen it a few times) but it will never be as good knowing what I know now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe that you could converse for a whole day just using quotes from that movie.

Lots of respectable people have been hit by trains, Judge Hobbie over in Cookville was hit by a train.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Awesome soundtrack as well.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
We watched that on senior day in my high school.  I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Arf has the strangest timing. We just put the dvd in last night.

Big Dan is an great part.  I also love that no-one can pronounce “accompaniment”.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought the soundtrack CD immediately after seeing the movie.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#19]
vlc record 2016 12 12 22h31m38s dvd D
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m the damn paterfamilias
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I appreciate the cessation of conversation during gustation. There are those that attempt both at the same time. I find it coarse and vulgar.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Now you boys enjoy your picture show.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I've spoken my piece and counted to three
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My name is george nelson! Not babyface!
View Quote
Oh George,  not the livestock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Saw on some talk show one night that when filming the movie Dan Tyminski went home and told his wife that she'd be hearing his voice but see George Clooney. She responded by saying " oh that's ok I do that every night in bed" !   I went to a " Down from the Mountain Tour " concert that made the rounds after the movie was out. Everyone who had songs in the movie was on that tour and even some who didn't !! I pissed my pants laughing when Norman Blake came out onstage in bib overalls and white t-shirt and nobody knew who he was or anything about him. their jaws dropped when he broke in to " Under the Double Eagle " playing so effortlessly!!!  That friggan concert cost me $300 as my boys [ early teens ]  asked if I'd buy them tickets so I told them I'd buy tickets for whoever came over and raked the pine cones and leaves in my backyard.[ thinking the tickets would be like $10-15 ]  They invited 3 of their friends over so when I went to get the tickets the clerk told me $300 for 6 tickets !!! My boys grew up listening to that music and knew of all the performers way ahead of time. But it was so awesome to see Patty Loveless, Ricky Scaggs, Ralph Stanley, Norman Blake, The Whites, The Cox Family, Alison Krause, Emmylou Harris, and others all in one show!!
View Quote
I grew up in Mississippi, and it does bring back memories seeing musical groups like that who wear matching clothing. It was all hand-made, of course, back in the day. That's just how they did it.

That's a great movie, for sure.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#26]
My mom was in her 90's and lived through those hard times and while she never said she had a favorite movie she ask to watch this one several times while she visited my house.

She passed in 2015 and I had the soundtrack played at her service.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Pappy O'Daniel: Shake a leg Junior! Thank God your mammy died givin' birth. If she'd have seen you, she'd have died o' shame.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Stephen Root was absolutely brilliant as the blind radio DJ.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#29]
The Sirens - O Brother, Where Art Thou? (5/10) Movie CLIP (2000) HD
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh son, for that you sold your everlasting soul?

Well, I wasn't usin' it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]
One of favorite scenes.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#32]
We ain't really negroes...
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love this movie, but another really good movie was the ladykillers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVL6AjybCZ0
A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet In El Segundo (Official Video)
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But it's great movie.
View Quote
In the Coen Brother's film Hail, Ceasar! he gets kidnapped by communists, and indoctrinated.

Brolin bitch-slaps Clooney for talking commie shit...

The film seems light-hearted and simple (awesome cameos), but with some reflection it is a pretty interesting take of post-WWII Hollywood in the early Cold War, complete with communist subversion.

Keep Joe McCarthy, the House Un-American Activities Committee, and the Blacklist in the back of your mind as you are watching it.

Clooney meets the commies...

You got most of it, man...
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#36]
The word of God in bulk as they say

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (7/10) Movie CLIP - Big Dan Teague (2000) HD
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was an excellent soundtrack, no doubt.

I heard artists I hadn't heard before, and like most of them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That whole opening scene was filmed about 10min from my house.  I used to farm hand just down the road from there, I know the guy who owns/farms it well.

The funniest part about that movie is how it's still like that around here, not much has changed in a hundred years.
View Quote
I had occasion to visit an old friend in Puckett (Rankin County) last year. Not having been in that area in many years, I decided to stay in Forest overnight to completely avoid anything that might come out of Hinds County.

I remarked to a friend that the only change I could see in Forest since 1980 was a remodeling of the McDonalds. He tells me that the people of that area absolutely resist and reject change. It was damn nice being back down there.

I did visit a friend down in Magee a few years ago, and we did go to that waterpark there in D'Lo a time or two. In the 70s and 80s, of course, there was nothing called a "waterpark" in Mississippi. D'Lo was just a name you saw on a highway sign along with Sanitorium, or whatever else.

Me and my friend pretty much got told to leave Sanitorium. She was taking photos of the copper in the roof of one of those buildings. That whole place is for folks who ain't right in the head, as I'm sure you know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had occasion to visit an old friend in Puckett (Rankin County) last year. Not having been in that area in many years, I decided to stay in Forest overnight to completely avoid anything that might come out of Hinds County.

I remarked to a friend that the only change I could see in Forest since 1980 was a remodeling of the McDonalds. He tells me that the people of that area absolutely resist and reject change. It was damn nice being back down there.

I did visit a friend down in Magee a few years ago, and we did go to that waterpark there in D'Lo a time or two. In the 70s and 80s, of course, there was nothing called a "waterpark" in Mississippi. D'Lo was just a name you saw on a highway sign along with Sanitorium, or whatever else.

Me and my friend pretty much got told to leave Sanitorium. She was taking photos of the copper in the roof of one of those buildings. That whole place is for folks who ain't right in the head, as I'm sure you know.
View Quote
I went to 3rd grade in Puckett all grades school.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Awesome movie.
"Any of you boys smittys?"
View Quote
"Or otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts?"
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tiresias knew some stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You shall see a... a cow... on the roof of a cotton house
Tiresias knew some stuff.
What the hell does he know? He's an ignorant old man.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#42]
"Gopher, Everett?"
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What are you doing out in the middle of nowhere?

Well, I had to be up at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil.

Well, ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated.
View Quote
O Brother, Where Art Thou - Sold my soul to the Devil

Sign these here papers, I'mma give y'all...ten dollar apiece!
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Stephen Root nails every role I've ever seent him in. I'd rank him right up there with Gary Oldman, and a couple others, for being such a great actor, you have to check IMDB to see if that's actually him. As opposed to over rated ginks like DeNiro that just plays the exact same guy in every single movie they've ever been in, to the point you might as well just name the character Robert DeNiro.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#45]
DeNiro types sell tix, but they ain't exactly acting. Everyone knows how to be themselves.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stephen Root nails every role I've ever seent him in. I'd rank him right up there with Gary Oldman, and a couple others, for being such a great actor, you have to check IMDB to see if that's actually him. As opposed to over rated ginks like DeNiro that just plays the exact same guy in every single movie they've ever been in, to the point you might as well just name the character Robert DeNiro.
View Quote
I want to study his physical technique, so I can pretend to be a (gregarious) blind man some time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#47]
O'Brother Where Art Thou - Do Not Seek the Treasure!
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I want to study his physical technique, so I can pretend to be a (gregarious) blind man some time.
View Quote
The secret to great acting is the skill of Let's Pretend. Pretend so well, you actually believe it yourself. Pretend you're blind, so well that you actually believe you're blind while the camera is rolling. If you can do that, the audience will believe you're blind, because you believe it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
The Greek word for actor, transliterated, is Hypocritos. It's the root of the English word hypocrite, and it's the skill of the con man and great actors and politicians throughout history. Good liars aren't consciously lying with awareness when in character. You'd see through that. They are pretending so well, that at the time, they actually believe it themselves.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The secret to great acting is the skill of Let's Pretend. Pretend so well, you actually believe it yourself. Pretend you're blind, so well that you actually believe you're blind while the camera is rolling. If you can do that, the audience will believe you're blind, because you believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His busy hands on the cane become counterpart to his eyes--they're both busied doing a whole bunch of nothing--but the overall focus is on his sense of auditory delight, which he expresses with his face and hands and body.

And he physically underscores the inability to perceive barriers by treating the glass (with the clipboard) and the wall (with his cane) roughly.

It's genius.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top