Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DFARM from Washington state has rescheduled his trip to play....late June

He had to cancel the April trip due to....you know.

Looking forward to it.

You will have a great time. Hunting has been hard lately but Jim will walk you through the goals of the night and you'll realize killing pigs is down on the list lol. you are in good company. Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You will have a great time. Hunting has been hard lately but Jim will walk you through the goals of the night and you'll realize killing pigs is down on the list lol. you are in good company. Have fun!
View Quote
Thanks Joe, see you sometime in July.  

Goals out here in order

-play with cool stuff and prep for the big igloo
-get some serious exercise in these fields....10 or so miles of stalking/hiking
-hang with good shits....well except for Cameron  @texassooner
-maybe shoot a giant destructive rodent.  Or at least empty a half a mag in the process while dodging tornadoes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks Joe, see you sometime in July.  

Goals out here in order

-play with cool stuff and prep for the big igloo
-get some serious exercise in these fields....10 or so miles of stalking/hiking
-hang with good shits....well except for Cameron  @texassooner
-maybe shoot a giant destructive rodent.  Or at least empty a half a mag in the process while dodging tornadoes.
View Quote

Hopefully when the wife is healed up a bit better I can come out again. I’m thinking about setting up the SCAR17 for some night time action.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hopefully when the wife is healed up a bit better I can come out again. I'm thinking about setting up the SCAR17 for some night time action.
View Quote
Yeah, Joe told me your wife was recovering.  

Like i tell you guys.....just text when you want to come out.  Smeagol misses his 7ft tree to jump on.  LOL

My invite is forever standing.....just text

jim
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
So, I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who's done something dumb with their nvd and someone might have some information for me.

I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was looking through a PVS 14 in the back yard a few minutes ago and I got a text so I absent mindedly pulled my phone out to look at it.  It was bright AF and the nvd kind of flashed until I took the screen out of view.  It still works but there was kind of a "ghost" image in it.  It seems like it got quite a bit better after I turned it off for a few seconds and then tried it again.

My tube is autogated,(omni 8, mx-11769) if that makes a difference.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who's done something dumb with their nvd and someone might have some information for me.

I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was looking through a PVS 14 in the back yard a few minutes ago and I got a text so I absent mindedly pulled my phone out to look at it.  It was bright AF and the nvd kind of flashed until I took the screen out of view.  It still works but there was kind of a "ghost" image in it.  It seems like it got quite a bit better after I turned it off for a few seconds and then tried it again.

My tube is autogated,(omni 8, mx-11769) if that makes a difference.

What do you guys think?
View Quote
It will probably be fine.

If it keeps having an afterimage, put the cap on, turn it on, put it in a shoe box, and put it in your safe/completely dark closet overnight and reevalute.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol, You assholes are always costing me money, I just bought the following on Friday and I need a recommendation on a helmet and counterweight.

TNV/PVS14 L3Harris Gen 3 Omni VIII White Phosphor Thin Filmed Black

TNVC TM14 Mk3 PVS-14 Weapon Mount - No Twist Mount Base

Wilcox L4 G11 Mount - ARMY-B - Black

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, Joe told me your wife was recovering.  

Like i tell you guys.....just text when you want to come out.  Smeagol misses his 7ft tree to jump on.  LOL

My invite is forever standing.....just text

jim
View Quote

Thanks Jim. I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed, all the holosuns I see now are out of stock, $800’ish+ or lower quality.

Looks like I may have to go to over a grand to get IR laser...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have kept reading, but I would like a more in depth analysis like you've done with the others if you can.

@alphajaguars

I borrowed @dlm1984 s 420g for a while. Took it to west last year.

It seemed to have a fine output. The white light actually wasnt that bad.

I like the rear focus control knob vs up front like a steiner.

With the current pricing i dont know if Id get one. You're too close in price to a dbal d2 or other laser that will have a powerful long range illuminator.

Agreed, all the holosuns I see now are out of stock, $800’ish+ or lower quality.

Looks like I may have to go to over a grand to get IR laser...

Perst4? Or do you also want an illuminator?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]
As a curiosity, what is it about the MAWL that makes it so wonderful?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The illuminator and the switching. Due to some regulatory savvy it has a more powerful illuminator, but with fixed focus.

Its also quick to switch between cqb, mid, and long range modes. Can do two modes on the two buttons.

Its not my choice but its not a bad choice.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The illuminator and the switching. Due to some regulatory savvy it has a more powerful illuminator, but with fixed focus.

Its also quick to switch between cqb, mid, and long range modes. Can do two modes on the two buttons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along with the price tag and bro status. Let's not forget bragging rights is a thing. Not to everyone that owns one... But certainly some
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Along with the price tag and bro status. Let's not forget bragging rights is a thing. Not to everyone that owns one... But certainly some
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't looking for bragging rights, if I did, I'd have ordered the quad tube NVG's...

However I am very much opposed to buying cheap and regretting it later. Better to just buy good IR to match the L3 filmless tube & have done.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
The MAWL has definitely become my favorite

You get light + laser on the second button, laser only on the first and I have white light on the Surefire switch right behind it. With my handstop where it's at this is the perfect combo to have quick access to all three buttons. I love it

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have one, but it also seems to be pretty universally regarded as significantly ergonomically superior to its nearest competitor in raw performance, the DBAL-D2 (what I have).  I believe it is also significantly lighter, the D2 is kindof a pig.  I didn't consider those concerns to be worth 2.5x the price, though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Late to the game and probably beating dead horse, but I'd like to get super powers in these crazy times.

Is night vision better in real life than it is on camera, because I am always pretty underwhelmed by all the actual videos I see of people recording through their night vision. Always seems grainy and not as night and day as I thought it would have been.

Thinking about getting a psv14 monocular setup.

Is WP unfilmed worth the extra $500 over WP thin filmed?

Are there any companies that don't have long lead times at the moment?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You get light + laser on the second button, laser only on the first and I have white light on the Surefire switch right behind it. With my handstop where it's at this is the perfect combo to have quick access to all three buttons. I love it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20200601_125150-1442415.jpg
View Quote

Be even slicker with a modbutton ??
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Late to the game and probably beating dead horse, but I'd like to get super powers in these crazy times.

Is night vision better in real life than it is on camera, because I am always pretty underwhelmed by all the actual videos I see of people recording through their night vision. Always seems grainy and not as night and day as I thought it would have been.

Thinking about getting a psv14 monocular setup.

Is WP unfilmed worth the extra $500 over WP thin filmed?

Are there any companies that don't have long lead times at the moment?
View Quote

Yes its way better.

Pvs 14 is fine.

Thats up to you but i prefer unfilmed if I can swing it.

Best bet is to CALL everyone. They may have something on hand due to a canceled order or similar.

Or buy used.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't have one, but it also seems to be pretty universally regarded as significantly ergonomically superior to its nearest competitor in raw performance, the DBAL-D2 (what I have).  I believe it is also significantly lighter, the D2 is kindof a pig.  I didn't consider those concerns to be worth 2.5x the price, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand. Guys that use your gear... Happy for you to have the best. All I was saying is there's also a subset that will say it's 'the best' because of the price tag while not actually using it at all
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I understand. Guys that use your gear... Happy for you to have the best. All I was saying is there's also a subset that will say it's 'the best' because of the price tag while not actually using it at all
View Quote

That wasn't meant to be directed at/'correcting' you, just adding some info to the post chain for the original asker
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAWL is 10.1 oz w/battery
D2 is 12.5 oz w/battery.

So, 2.4oz lighter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Curious about the Surefire pressure pad button setup. What do the buttons do? I get how the MAWL buttons work, just now how the dual button surefire pad works between the MAWL and the white light.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#25]
so question for yall......does anyone currently make any decent poverty level NVGs? something in the $5-800 mark?

honesly Gen 1 is fine, i really just want something to play with, i dont do much sneaky shit in the dark

anything helmet mountable that isnt toy grade?......or should i just go be poor somewhere else?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Be even slicker with a modbutton
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Be even slicker with a modbutton
For sure, it's what inspired my current setup, but out of stock everywhere

Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious about the Surefire pressure pad button setup. What do the buttons do? I get how the MAWL buttons work, just now how the dual button surefire pad works between the MAWL and the white light.

The Surefire has one button and one lead connected to the laser and fires whatever setting the laser is on. For the MAWL that means IR laser + IR illuminator. Because of where my hand is I can hit either MAWL button and don't need the Surefire button for the laser, but in other configurations it works great
The second Surefire button is white light only and has a lead connected to the M300 light. By reversing the Surefire switch on the rail with the leads going backwards I got the light button closest to the MAWL buttons and can now hit both MAWL buttons and the Surefire with my thumb while still holding the same grip against the handstop. It's inspired by how the ModButton works, and it's really comfortable

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All I was saying is there's also a subset that will say it's 'the best' because of the price tag while not actually using it at all
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
so question for yall......does anyone currently make any decent poverty level NVGs? something in the $5-800 mark?

honesly Gen 1 is fine, i really just want something to play with, i dont do much sneaky shit in the dark

anything helmet mountable that isnt toy grade?......or should i just go be poor somewhere else?
View Quote

Honestly no. Sionyx aurora was a thing but imo its no substitute for nvg. And i think out of that price range now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Guess I’ll join the thread, only been doing the nods thing for about 6 months.

From my last hunting trip a week ago
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd recommend you look at this thread. Page 1-10 info has changed from current posts so read it all or read the first 15 pages and the most recent 15 before asking questions

I say that because I have one

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/491313_Sionyx-digital-color-night-vision-camera-legit-alternative-to-a-PVS-14-.html
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

A friend of mine let me play around with his Bushnell Equinox & it was meh... he also let me look thru his gen 3 green filtered NOD’s & that is what sold me on the L3 filmless.. worth paying gold for.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I cannot emphasize enough how much I hate TNVC right now... making me buy a MAWL & making me wait.. oh the humanity..

I may have to sleep under a bridge, but I will at least own the dark spaces under that bridge...
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most gen1 will be garbage unless its a triple cascade rifle scope.

You can get into some older gen2 units in your price range on ebay. Quality varies widely. And many are not easily head mountable, though some are. Do your homework. Until a few years ago I was routinely buying older gen2 and gen3 units in that price range.

Its likely not going to the best of the best, but for most things Gen2 is fine IMO. If its really dark you turn on the illuminator.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Guess I'll join the thread, only been doing the nods thing for about 6 months.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/381888/A61CA9D8-90FF-4A65-871F-D3B4FD3F9C86_jpe-1442729.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome. I am officially 1 for 17 against foxes haha. I have the worst luck hitting them
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's awesome. I am officially 1 for 17 against foxes haha. I have the worst luck hitting them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/381888/A61CA9D8-90FF-4A65-871F-D3B4FD3F9C86_jpe-1442729.JPG

That was my first NV Kill. I missed a coyote a few weeks back due to me screwing up my laser zero on the PEQ2 I had.
Managed to get this guy after I spooked him and he was running away from me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That was my first NV Kill. I missed a coyote a few weeks back due to me screwing up my laser zero on the PEQ2 I had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a hell of shot then

I've hit rabbits at supersonic speed on the move, pigs and other stuff but not foxes haha
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's a hell of shot then

I've hit rabbits at supersonic speed on the move, pigs and other stuff but not foxes haha
View Quote

I was pretty skeptical that I made it until we tracked him. Pretty satisfied to get a bobcat for my first NV hit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#39]
22 UM ‘14 and a china skeet

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Got a question here - I just picked up an ATPIAL-C and I've looked at many people's setups. Is it necessary to have an IR light to supplement the illuminator on the ATPIAL, or do you run white-only if you have a secondary light?

What I'm currently working with

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got a question here - I just picked up an ATPIAL-C and I've looked at many people's setups. Is it necessary to have an IR light to supplement the illuminator on the ATPIAL, or do you run white-only if you have a secondary light?

https://i.imgur.com/XK6cPDR.png
View Quote

Depends on your uses.

Thats why I choose more powerful laser illumination so that I can use that and leave my white light for white light things.

Many ways to skin a cat. They all work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

depends on how much light you want.

peq15c is good out to about 50ish yards or so. if you want more IR light beyond that then you will need some additional weapon light. I use the surefire vampires.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on what you're doing with your rig, and what kind of lighting conditiions you'll be working with. The ATPIAL C illuminator is pretty weak compared to a FP PEQ15, MAWL, or DBAL D2.
If you're just shooting / training, you'll be okay as long as you can clearly ID your targers without an illuminator on a brightly lit night, and on darker nights the ATPIAL C will be ok for most flat range work. If you're hunting, I would highly advise getting a helmet mounted IR light, it's nice to be able to scan and look for targets without having to constanly mount the gun, and you can still use the pointer with ease.
I personally prefer my weaponlights to be white light only for simplicity's sake, but my tune may change as I train to shoot more passively through my optic.
As with most gun / shooting related things, there is no direct yes or no answer, it's a "well it depends" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#44]
What is a good battery to get for NOD’s? I haven’t gotten my set yet but want to stock pile some batteries...

It’s this one... I see it’s AA’s but I don’t see a recommendation on type...

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-un-filmed-white-phosphor-2/

And don’t start me on this one, I have not even heard of this battery before..

https://tnvc.com/shop/b-e-meyers-mawl-c1-ir-visible-laser/
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What is a good battery to get for NOD's? I haven't gotten my set yet but want to stock pile some batteries...

It's this one... I see it's AA's but I don't see a recommendation on type...

And don't start me on this one, I have not even heard of this battery before..

View Quote
You've never heard of a CR123a battery before?

The DL prefix is just a Duracell brand name prefix.

As for the AA thing, I think the prevailing consensus is any reputable lithium AA is fine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As for the AA thing, I think the prevailing consensus is any reputable lithium AA is fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a good battery to get for NOD's? I haven't gotten my set yet but want to stock pile some batteries...

It's this one... I see it's AA's but I don't see a recommendation on type...

And don't start me on this one, I have not even heard of this battery before..

Well in my defense, they made it sound like a weird version of the 123A battery. I’ve got like a 50-round pack of Streamlight batteries in that.

Thank you for info on AA’s. I just want to take care of my stuff.

I still recall a handheld video poker game I had for long car rides as a child.... I found it months later with corrosion leaking out of cheap batteries into the game system..

I would be despondent if that happened to $4,000 NOD’s..
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well in my defense, they made it sound like a weird version of the 123A battery. I’ve got like a 50-round pack of Streamlight batteries in that.

I still recall a handheld video poker game I had for long car rides as a child.... I found it months later with corrosion leaking out of cheap batteries into the game system..

View Quote

Thats why you store all expensive stuff like that with batteries off. Also so it doesnt accidentally turn on in storage
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thats why you store all expensive stuff like that with batteries off. Also so it doesnt accidentally turn on in storage
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is it lithium batteries I want, or lithium ion? Not sure of difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#50]

I have thought of the same setup.

Tell me everything.

Bridge, attachments, looking at a square and a circle at the same time without vomiting, everything.
Page / 231
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top